• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Direct Thread

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
SSBU rerelease with characters correctly balanced instead of the half-assed slack job the original is would warrant a second buy from me, **** it.

As for other picks, I'll throw in three crazyass ones:

- Chrono Trigger and SMRPG on NSO
- Surprise Banjo Three-ie announcement with Microsoft's blessing
- A new Wario Land

Something more plausible are the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters coming to Switch in one full package perhaps.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
People can hope for more entries in popular franchises and have a variety of tastes. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
I'm not saying that isn't true, but that not what I'm arguing against.

To say the majority of Nintendo fans "don't care about" relatively big games such as Xenoblade 3 is technically correct, but also short sighted. There are games that appeal to different people, and Nintendo kind of needs the variety. Nintendo has also released relatively successful games like Switch Sports, and let's not forget Splatoon 3 is a huge deal. Even outside of Nintendo, you have Persona 3-5 and the Mega Man Battle Network Collection coming out, and you had Live a Live which while I didn't personally grab, I've heard people enjoying it.

Ignition

From Pallet Town Rookie to World Champion

To say the majority of Nintendo fans "don't care about" relatively big games such as Xenoblade 3 is technically correct, but also short sighted. There are games that appeal to different people, and Nintendo kind of needs the variety. Nintendo has also released relatively successful games like Switch Sports, and let's not forget Splatoon 3 is a huge deal. Even outside of Nintendo, you have Persona 3-5 and the Mega Man Battle Network Collection coming out, and you had Live a Live which while I didn't personally grab, I've heard people enjoying it.
I'm not saying otherwise? I'm just saying that people in general are obviously going to focus on the big framchises but it's not like they're the only ones most people are focused on. I don't think anyone's saying those games aren't successful or don't have their fanbase.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
There's more to Nintendo than just the most popular franchises.

Heck, there are some good third party releases.

Nintendo fans still need to broaden their horizons.

It's really disingenuous to write off the complaints because "they haven't broadened their horizons". You don't know that, you don't know if each individual person has tried games like that before or why they might not like it. Sometimes it just doesn't fit their tastes no matter how you try. You can't count on the public deciding they're suddenly interested in a niche IP all of the sudden (especially one that recently had an entry within the last 5 years that you're trying to resell to a similar audience).

I never said that they should just have popular franchises, but having them dominate the year is poor business. Businesses look to mitigate risk and maximize profit, so if their lineup consists of a bunch of IPs that haven't sold particularly well in the past that you're betting on to have increased sales from the last entry (which BTW, is unlikely, past sales figures have shown that the second entry of an IP on the system tends to sell worse than the first one), that's not going to inspire a lot of confidence in investors and you're probably not going to end up making quite as much money.

Really what you want is a healthy mix of popular and niche IPs. That way you have a few surefire hits which give you the best chance of profits, while still having a few niche IPs to provide variety and reach gamers that might not like the popular games. I wouldn't say we've had that this year though (especially not in the second half of the year which is the more crucial time of year for sales), and it feels like there's been too many niche IPs and not enough popular IPs since 2020.

Rune Knight

Alright guys, I'm going to dark to avoid spoilers for this direct until 5PM tomorrow, so I'm going to say my farewells now. Whatever we get I hope it's good! Love you all.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
What I mean is a complete edition with all the DLC on the cartridge and other new content and changes.
That is something that isn’t going to happen. You’d still need to download all of the extra DLC stuff. The Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath physical Switch copy has the base game on it but on the back it states that you still need the Internet to download all of the DLC. If Nintendo was going to rerelease Smash Bros with all of the DLC then Smash 3DS/Wii U would have gotten one before the end of the production of their physical games. Nintendo is more about making money from DLC purchases than rereleasing a game with all of the DLC content on the cart. Even BotW still make you buy the Expansion Pass if you didn’t get it and you’d think that would have been rereleased given how massively popular the game is.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
The only titles I'm hoping to get info on in this Direct are Bayonetta 3 and BotW2.

Also, I'm hoping ONE of these bloody fighting games get ported to the Switch. I've been waiting for Tekken 7 and Soulcalibur VI for years now. I just want it to happen already!

EDIT: Well, that's one game. Let's see if I get another.

EDIT: Eh, I'm just gonna keep calling it BotW2.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

OK then, here are my highlights! Glad to see that Diddy Kong and Pauline are the next picks for Mario Strikers Battle League, and Merry Mountain coming to MK8 Deluxe's Booster Course Pass was a given since it'll be released during the holidays, I kinda wish there was a brand-new title though. The Breath of the Wild sequel finally has its title and release date, I'm not that big of a Zelda fan, but I think it's gonna be another hit for Nintendo. Another Wii classic coming to Switch in the form of Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, can't help but wonder what's next, Super Mario Galaxy 2, perhaps? That new Fire Emblem game looks promising for longtime fans, and I personally can't wait for Pikmin 4! Bringing the N64 Mario Party trilogy AND Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 to Switch is amazing to hear! And I'm sure many people are happy that GoldenEye is coming too.

Satoshi & Touko

Glimwood Tangle is Literal Dreamland
I don't wish to watch the whole Direct right now, but does anyone know if they announced a new Style Savvy?

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
We got Pokemon Stadium, hopefully Colosseum is on the horizon? Zelda looks cool. I need to play the old Bayonetta games because the new one looks good. Mario and Rabbids looks fun. So does the new Fire Emblem, although it looks like it uses the hero summoning mechanic of the mobile game (Please not F2P gatcha...) I loved Goldeneye as a kid, so that will be fun. Octopath Traveller II looks really good, and I'm still holding out hope for Star Wars Shadows of the Empire to hit the N64 library.

Nicholas Perkins

The Smasher Demon
Here’s how I would’ve made that better, as far as brand-new announcements that I could think of (sorry for the last-minute edit):
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Genealogy of the Holy War
  • Xenoblade 3 Expansion
  • Splatoon 3 Splatfest
  • Octopath II
  • Theatrhytm: Final Bar Line
  • NSO N64 games + Game Boy and GBA
  • Battle League Update
  • Nintendo Switch Sports: Golf update
  • Pikmin 4
  • Booster Course Pass
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Return to Dream Land Deluxe
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
It looks like we do get to visit the ruins of Skyloft in Tears of the Kingdom. I wonder if the City in the Sky will also be something we can visit? Also why haven’t we gotten Banjo Tootie yet? Or DK 64?

UltimateNinja

~Anya-chan~
Worst direct in a while honestly. Fire Emblem and Pikmin have their fans and Zelda obviously too. But other than that there was really not that much exciting stuff left. A lot of expansion/season pass and updates, a crap ton of indie games that should've been shown in a indie direct instead and now the only games left for me to buy are Scarlet/Violet this year. What a disappointing line up.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Tears of the Kingdom trailer felt shorter than it actually was, probably cause we spent so long looking at those stone carvings. No new 3D mario, maybe they'll have something big Mario in the early 2022 direct. Surprised that there was no Pokémon, I thought they'd recap the recent trailers there at very least.