• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo DS Lite problems

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Hi, I hope I'm posting this correctly.

Anyways, I've been having a problem with my DS Lite lately. A few months ago I dropped it on a hard tile floor. It still worked but its hinge was cracked in this one spot and it won't stay up anymore.

The main problem is, I just put in my Pokémon HeartGold version, the title comes up, I press A and I hear Ho-Oh's cry...then no other sound comes on. I adjusted the volume, nothing. I turned it off then on, nothing. I took out the game, reinserted, nothing. No sound from anything now.

Does this have to do with my cracked hinge? Does this mean my DS Lite will stop working eventually? Can I contact Nintendo and send it in and get it repaired?

I'm depending on this DS Lite until Gen V and Dream World ends because it's tied to my games and their accounts...

Any help, information, and advice is great appreciated

Vikings

Oracle
I believe the wiring for audio runs through the hinge, so yes, it should be related. Is any of the wiring exposed? If so, at least get some electrical tape to cover it up to avoid further damage. It's been a while since I've used a DS lite or had issues with a Nintendo device, but I believe Nintendo should repair it. I wouldn't expect for it to be free though, I believe they used to repair them for free but stopped in around 2011 (don't quote me on that).

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
No there are not any wires sticking out or anything, just a crack and you can see a bit inside if you look very very very closely.

I was going to send it in when it first cracked, but I figured I could get away with it until Gen V ends. It will cost about $90 total but if they can't fix it, then I can get a new one. The problem is I would prefer my current one because of how Pokémon events are connected to it. So would a cracked hinge be able to be fixed?

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Ye should be off getting a 3DS for the new games :)

The top screen of my DSL is like REALLY loose, so I use a rubber band for it to stay up, not only that, the buttons are loose that I have to press hard as hell for them to work D: Even the left speaker is busted. The wiring inside of it probably broke, like yer one when it fell, but using earphones/headphones doesn't affect them. It sounds the same.

So yeah, don't get it fixed coz that costs more. I had to put up with my half not-working touch screen DSL for like 2-3 years xD nya~

Vikings

Oracle
No there are not any wires sticking out or anything, just a crack and you can see a bit inside if you look very very very closely.

I was going to send it in when it first cracked, but I figured I could get away with it until Gen V ends. It will cost about $90 total but if they can't fix it, then I can get a new one. The problem is I would prefer my current one because of how Pokémon events are connected to it. So would a cracked hinge be able to be fixed?

Gen 5 is nearing its end, and the DS Lite is working aside from the audio, correct? I wouldn't suggest spending the money to get it repaired, I would put it towards a 3DS to play X and Y. I would just go with a DIY temporary repair until then, and be careful with the device. I'm sure Nintendo could fix it if you sent it in though.

Ultimately it's your money though, so you decide.

Just be aware that attempting to repair it yourself will void any warranty you may still have. A broken hinge doesn't fall under Nintendo's warranty to begin with though. If you want to contact Nintendo, here's the number: 1-800-255-3700. Couldn't hurt to call and ask.

Another option to consider is buying a DS Lite shell online (~$15) and giving it an all new casing. There are tutorials online on how to do it, but I know not everyone is comfortable with that.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Thanks for the advice everyone! I actually do have a 3DS so if I have some extra money I'll see if my DS can get fixed. Also, if I put headphones in, they still work. I think that's pretty funny haha