• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection WorldWide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuyWithCommonSense

What common sense?
NeoGAF user 'StreetsAhead' posted that starting on May 20th, at 11PM, Nintendo will officially end their WFC for the DS and Wii.

Here's the source.

Paid services such as Hulu will not be affected, as well as the DS and Wii shop. Those will be functional. However, games such as Mario Kart Wii, the DS Pokemon titles, Animal Crossing, etc will not work.

It seems to be world wide as Nintendo Australia recently posted the same announcement.

Update: Nintendo of America also announced the termination, thanks R_N!

Last edited:

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Well, there goes the hundreds of hours I spend every month online on my DS/Wii

Oh, wait

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Kind of disappointed to see the Wi-Fi services go down, but I understand why they'd do that, seeing as there's less reason to make use of it anymore. I actually used my Wii and DS for online a considerable amount of time way back, but not so much anymore. This is going to make getting a HG/SS Rayquaza and BW Landorus a lot harder too unless you've got both games sitting around, what with Wi-Fi trading being down. No Pokecheck/Pokegen is definitely going to cause a huge uproar too, and it's kind of a double-edged sword.

Beyond just Pokemon, it also means getting a perfectly complete game on MegaMan Starforce 3 will be physically impossible. And no Wi-Fi in Animal Crossing City Folk? Guess I have even less reason to play that now. and Brawl online

R_N

Kind of disappointed to see the Wi-Fi services go down, but I understand why they'd do that, seeing as there's less reason to make use of it anymore. I actually used my Wii and DS for online a considerable amount of time way back, but not so much anymore. This is going to make getting a HG/SS Rayquaza and BW Landorus a lot harder too unless you've got both games sitting around, what with Wi-Fi trading being down. No Pokecheck/Pokegen is definitely going to cause a huge uproar too, and it's kind of a double-edged sword.

Beyond just Pokemon, it also means getting a perfectly complete game on MegaMan Starforce 3 will be physically impossible. And no Wi-Fi in Animal Crossing City Folk? Guess I have even less reason to play that now. and Brawl online

Check the list of games again, the mega man games aren't affected. I'm guessing capcom has their own servers for that

assuming the online component wasnt' taken down earlier, anyway

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Check the list of games again, the mega man games aren't affected. I'm guessing capcom has their own servers for that

Oh, whoops. Kinda assumed that it was extended to all games on the DS and Wii that used Wi-Fi. Though I guess few people really play the MegaMan games online anymore anyway, last I saw.

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
What's the point of the Pokemon Bank since you do NEED Pokemon Black/White/2 to transfer those to it?

SheerMint

Moltres Worshipper
That's sad. Considering I just got internet access from my home and was looking forward to finally experiencing the competitive world of pokemon. Looks like it's going to be short lived.

Austratus

a paper man
What's the point of the Pokemon Bank since you do NEED Pokemon Black/White/2 to transfer those to it?
Because BW/2 isn't the thing connecting to the internet when you're using Poke Transporter, the application (which is 3DS software) is.

EDIT: The list posted on Nintendo's site only mentions first-party and Nintendo-liscenced games. Just because it's not listed doesn't mean it won't be affected-- if the game has the WFC blue circle on the box, it's toast.

Last edited:

ThatGuyWithCommonSense

What common sense?
It should be interesting to note that Nintendo's servers were helped by GameSpy and I think that's what caused them to decide to end the servers, as this is from GameSpy's new policy:

“Effective January 1st, 2013, GameSpy has ceased to make its software available for Licensing.

“If you’re a major label publisher or even an established development studio, you know – the ones that have released titles and real offices with cool things like HR departments, Office managers, etc. and have an Agreement in good standing (you know, you pay your bills, etc) while you will no longer be able to add new titles, your existing supported titles will continue to function while under paid support.

They might have made Nintendo pay for more and Nintendo thought it was unnecessary for these servers so they dropped them. Note it said 2013, I think Nintendo were paying for more and kept it, just because of some newer games needing online; but now that the Wii U is out, they don't need these servers anymore so they don't want to pay for a limited amount of people playing.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.

Oh thank goodness that they're not going down, I still need to finish the Online section of 2 and 3 ._.

It should be interesting to note that Nintendo's servers were helped by GameSpy and I think that's what caused them to decide to end the servers, as this is from GameSpy's new policy:

They might have made Nintendo pay for more and Nintendo thought it was unnecessary for these servers so they dropped them. Note it said 2013, I think Nintendo were paying for more and kept it, just because of some newer games needing online; but now that the Wii U is out, they don't need these servers anymore so they don't want to pay for a limited amount of people playing.

Hm, well that's a rather interesting tidbit, although consdiering some DS and Wii Games with Online are still rather recent, I still thank this is a bit too early.

xDoN904™

ⓈⓅⒺⒺⒹⓎ★ⓈⓅⒺⒺⒹ★ⒷⓄⓎ
Pokebank/Transporter is a 3DS app that connects to Nintendo Network, not Nintendo Wi-Fi. Transporter only reads the card to transport B/W(2) pokemon to Bank so yeah.

Torpoleon

If you're trading between two DS systems locally, wouldn't that be unaffected, thus meaning you could still get HGSS Rayquaza & BW Landorus after the Wi-Fi Services close. Just not over GTS.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
If you're trading between two DS systems locally, wouldn't that be unaffected, thus meaning you could still get HGSS Rayquaza & BW Landorus after the Wi-Fi Services close. Just not over GTS.

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to when I say it will be a lot harder to get them unless you have both games sitting around. While there plenty of people that have access to both and will be unaffected, there are probably just as many, if not more people who don't have access to both games. Not that it's necessarily a huge deal, but it's definitely noteworthy.

Arvis

This really sucks :/ but I'm not suprised...

better enjoy those online Mario Kart matches while I can.

Mister_SGG

Huh. That sucks, but I guess the DS is nearly 10 years old.

Seems unfair to newer DS games like Gen V to have their Wi-Fi shut down so soon

BCVM22

Seems unfair to newer DS games like Gen V to have their Wi-Fi shut down so soon

Generation V's four games will be three and a half to two years old by the time of the shutdown. It might seem like "so soon" to some but in a business that gets so much of its revenue from the cutting edge, they've been out a decent amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.