1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Network Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Psynergy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

Suggestions and Inquiries

In an attempt to drive some activity in this section, we're going to open things up to what you'd like to see here. The overall purpose of this section is to arrange games and tournaments, though evidently it hasn't been getting much attention, at least as long as I've been a member of the forums. If you've got an idea for a thread or tournament you can post it here, and we'll evaluate whether or not it's an acceptable idea. We also encourage you all to offer input on suggestions if you think someone's idea would be interesting or not. There's just a few things to keep in mind when posting here.

- As always, all SPPf Rules and Nintendo Discussion Rules apply​

- When offering feedback or opinions on other people's suggestions, make sure your responses are more than just simple answers like "that sounds cool." ​

- While there may be a suggestion many people show interest in, if we, the mods, don't think it's a good idea it won't be allowed. We won't be too strict on that though so don't let it discourage you from suggesting something!​

Now to start off, we all know that the Japanese release of Smash Bros. 3DS is in a few days, but before we know it the international release will be upon us. With that, it's only natural that we hold Smash Bros. tournaments in this section. There's tons of ways we could do this, so I think it's best to open things up to everyone. What kind of tournaments and rules would you all like to follow?

As for sign-ups and execution we could do follow a similar execution as the Pokemon tournaments held in the competitive section, but rules and regulations are a totally different bag that we can discuss for the next three and a half weeks.

Also don't forget that this thread isn't limited to Smash, though no doubt most activity here will be from that. If you've got a suggestion unrelated to Smash don't be afraid to post it!

2. tomatohater

tomatohater Golden Sun 4?

Villager only tournament, so we can have the hunger games. And the only items you can have are crates, and any items in them (akin to hunger games). That would be pretty neat. 1 Stock only seems a but too little for a game, so maybe a 3 Stock Brawl?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  3. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

I think having some themed tournaments/battles would be fun, in addition to a regular more serious tournament.

I don't really have any other suggestions to breathe life back into the section myself (part of why this thread was made) so please everyone, suggest away.

4. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

Can we suggest Mario kart 8 Tournaments? oooooor

Is there a thread for that? :s

Cause I have an idea in mind :3

5. Hydrohs

We did have a tournament going, but it basically died. You're free to post your suggestion regardless.

6. Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness Eternal Evil

I know I'm going to busy in 3 weeks, but doesn't a Pokemon theme competition for SSB4 sound good? People can only can use Pokemon characters, stages, and Pokeball's for the competition

I don't know much for rules, but I thought it seemed like a good idea

It almost seems perfect for Serebii

Or another twist could be that you can only use 3rd Party material. 3rd party characters, stages, and items.

7. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

As a whole, are people more interested in fun tournaments or glorious tournaments for SSB?

In any event, I'd say if we're going to set something up, we ought to do it as two different tournaments; set up a Salty Spittoon-styled tourney with no items, stock matches, 1v1, non-cray stages, and another Super Weenie Hut Jr.-styled one with items and cray stages and whatnot. I think it's probably a better idea to hold off on themed/exclusive tournaments (like Super Bash Sisters or tomatohater's suggestion) until we've unlocked everyone and we're more used to the different characters and whatnot.

I believe that SSB could sustain tournaments better than MK8 has, since it has the advantage of being a game released on a system with a wide adoption rate as well as the Wii U, has an arguably larger fanbase, and overall has more depth and variety to keep things fresh if need be.

My main concern would be 3DS vs. Wii U, which seems like it could potentially drive a wedge in the playerbase, with a likely exodus of the Wii U players away from the larger 3DS playerbase once the superior version is released; depending on the size of said exodus, it could be extremely divisive or an utter non-issue, so I'd offer that we cross that bridge when it arrives.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  8. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

Aww sweet :D

Aight how about this for a tournament-

Koopalings only WITH Karts that don't boost or decrease stats.

Karts allowed-

Standard Kart

Cat Cruiser

Prancer

Sneeker

300 SL Roadster

Bikes allowed-

The Duke

ATVs allowed-

Teddy Buggy

Tires allowed-

Standard

Off-Road

Blue Standard

Retro Off-Road

GLA Tires

Gliders allowed-

Super Glider

Waddle Wing

Wario Wing

Plane Glider

Gold Glider

9. Hydrohs

I think most of us here have both 3DS and Wii U, or if not a lot of people will be picking up a Wii U for Smash, correct me if I'm wrong there.

I'm assuming you're trying to go for an even balance here? That being the case, it wouldn't work out since the Koopalings fall under different weight classes. If that's not your goal, though, then I don't understand the Kart limitation.

10. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

I dunno if that's the case; some people might not have the money to get a Wii U, or they might not want one because they wouldn't want games other than Smash for it, or they might be satisfied with the 3DS version as is, or any number or combination of factors (I'd probably fit the formermost case as of right now). My understanding was that the vast majority of people here own 3DSs, and some people here own Wii Us, but I'm not aware of every single possible player, so I obviously can't back that up. Maybe some people will buy Wii Us, maybe some will want to but won't, maybe some still haven't made up their minds.

Because of that current ambiguity, I'm suggesting that we ignore the issue for now and wait to see what the situation looks like; perhaps a poll in this section might be a good idea?

11. Hydrohs

Setting up a poll is a good idea.

12. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

I think it would be better to do a 3DS tourney simply because everyone has the system. A poll is a good way to check as well just in case people stocked up Wii U.

13. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

I know they fall under different classes, and no, I am not going for even balance.

It's basically a No Stat Kart tourney I guess you could say. That's the main thing here, the Koopalings are the characters due to them being the most popular new characters. ^.^

14. AuraStorm13

AuraStorm13 Undaunted Explorer

I'll agree a poll to check how many users here have a Wii U, plan to get a Wii U, or don't have any plans to get a Wii U in the immediate future would be good to check how many people have the system or plan to, as if one playerbase is substantially larger then the other, it makes it easier to set up tournies of this nature, using the version the majority of users are likely to have. Of course, perhaps a Poll now to see how many users have the Wii U and then another poll later to see how many users actually have Smash U or are content with Smash 3DS could work, but I'm really just throwing ideas around here.

Anyway, while I like the idea of the themed-tournaments, particularly the Pokemon-themed one, I do agree we should wait on performing tournies of those nature until enough time has passed for people to get used to the game and the like.

15. Hydrohs

In doing that though anyone who doesn't pick Roy or Morton will be at a disadvantage, a major disadvantage if they picked Lemmy, Larry or Wendy.

16. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

Uhh... with items not really... One banana can change the entire outcome of the race...

Trust me... I know.

And speed in online isn't the best thing ever. The medium characters are better since they are well rounded.

The heavyweights have great speed, but bad handling which when hit by a squid can hurt more than it does with the other classes.

17. tomatohater

tomatohater Golden Sun 4?

Regarding SSB, i think we should have the first 1/2 month-month of regular playing, no items etc., and then, a little while after we have all become acquainted with the characters, go mad with all the wacky tournaments? Maybe we could have a 2 Smash leaderboards, the one for serious matches, and the ridiculous ones too!

18. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

In regards to the whole Wii U vs. 3DS Smash, we'll just have to specify the console when making a tournament thread once the Wii U version comes out. Pokemon tournaments also run into this distinction with simulators vs. in-game tournaments, so we should just do the same here. And simulators tend to win out in that department so I'd expect one version of Smash will be more popular than the other as well. The question of what to do if the division becomes an issue is definitely a topic for later, though.

Otherwise I agree with what's been said on other Smash tournament ideas. Gimmick tournaments should definitely be saved for later when people have stuff unlocked, while serious tournaments are a good idea from the start. Regardless we'll probably want to wait a little bit before doing the first one to give people time to get situated with the game, but if people want to do a tournament immediately that's an option.

19. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

I'd say maybe the 10th is perfect for serious tournaments, gives players who got the game on release date a week to get use to the controls and a specific character. Altough the 17th is probably a better date for people with work and whatnot.

Also agree with the Gimmicky tournaments, they should be held maybe a month after release date.

20. Dragalge

Dragalge Lucy Eiscue

Psynergy said this was alright to post so I'll share a couple of suggestions for bobjr's Gimmick Tournament thread.

The first one is a tournament dedicated to Lucina's alts since her different color palette swaps represent seven other Awakening characters. It would go with the 8-player Smash with the Wii U version of SSB very well and the stages would be held on the revealed Fire Emblem stages.

The second one would be a sword-weilders only tournament consisting of those who have a sword or can make one. The characters are:

• The four FE reps
    • The two Links
    • Kirby
    • Meta Knight
    • Greninja
    • Shulk

Oh and the only items allowed are Beam Swords to go with the sword theme.

I know the first idea seems a little...silly but as I was playing with Lucina and her alts, the idea popped in me (and not everyone plays as her) but I could see the second suggestion working since a lot of people like using Shulk, Robin and the others.