1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Power Magazine ends its 24 year run

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by G4Pokefan, Dec 11, 2012.

1. G4Pokefan

G4Pokefan THE AURA IS WITH ME

I only found this out in last month's issue that NP was gonna have its final issue this month. At first I was shocked, then I had thought "maybe they were evolving into a new magazine or something, but after picking up today's issue, I saw that this was definitely the end.

I was actually bummed about it. All those years I had planned on subscribing to the mag instead of just looking for the issue in stores every month, but i never followed through on it. Now when I finally decide to, it runs its course.

My favorite issues mostly always had Mario on the covers, and my favorite sections of NIntendo power was the PokeCenter and Classified corner.

Feel free to share your thoughts and memories.

2. Asami

Asami New Member

That is quite sad indeed.
    I loved reading it. It was a good source of information for gamers.
    I really loved it. And its quite sad that its coming to an end.
    Fav. Zelda. <3

3. TheEliteEmpoleon

TheEliteEmpoleon Surge Surfer

I really liked NP. They were just beginning to add a lot of new cool stuff to the magazine, but it looks like we won't get it anymore.

4. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Thoughts?

"And nothing of value was lost."

5. lindsy95

lindsy95 FC: 4428-2451-8791

Nostalga~~

But really, with the internet magazines are going defunct, anyway.

6. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

This pretty much. It's kinda hard to give a damn about some little magazine when it was never sold anywhere beyond the US.

It's just nothing more than people being sentimental and failing to realise that gaming magazine are a dying breed.

7. noobers

noobers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I don't think anyone's denying the decline in popularity of gaming magazines, but it did make up a part in a lot of people's childhoods. Obviously it has a lot of sentimental value.

8. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

Fix it for you.

9. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

Not just America, you hoser!

Yeah, nostalgia. During their earlier years before gaming sites were a boom, they had great coverage and strategy guides of your games on the most iconic gaming company's consoles. Anyway, like everyone's saying, the Internet's a boom and free (to an extent). Nintendo Power had a good run and the people behind it are saving cash and time now that their magazine is off the shelves.

10. bronislav84

bronislav84 I <3 Catgirls

They could have easily gone to an e-zine only format. That's all I'm saying.

11. lindsy95

lindsy95 FC: 4428-2451-8791

You seem to be insistent on saying it was only in the US (then you added canada...) are you jealous? : p

12. Clamps

Clamps Warning: Jokes!

The US almost has more than 10x the amount of people in the UK and Australia combined, and good old Canadia has ~1.5x the amount of people as Australia.

That is a lot of people, especially when you consider that those four countries are the only countries realistically posting on this forum.

13. Dreamy

Dreamy Well-Known Member

This actually brought a tear to my eye. I always looked forward to seeing the newest issue on store shelves, I never subscribed to it, but I was going to this month. I always borrowed it from my friend whom always carried it in his backpack in the backseat of his car, why didn't I subscribe years ago? :(

Maybe Nintendo will change it's mind and reintroduce it, here's to hoping

14. Steampunk

Steampunk One Truth Prevails

thats what i was thinking, and i was never subcribed but i would leaf through them when i went to walmart.

15. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

We have other websites like My Nintendo News to cover that. The only thing that would truly be worth anything would be interviews and fan creations.

16. ForgottenPearl

ForgottenPearl Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sad to see Nintendo Power go. I'd been getting NP's in the mail since 1995, one a month. Heck, I was motivated to learn how to read because of them. 0_o

17. Pokeminem

Pokeminem Gary Oak Fan

Yeah its pretty sad the part I'll miss the most is the humor and unique editors

18. DarkGengar

DarkGengar Ghost Reaper

I wish that I could of gotten a subscription before they released the final issue. Nintendo Power will always be in our hearts, it was excellent to the very end.

R.I.P another part of my childhood gaming.

19. Manna

Manna Rockin' the Suburbs

My childhood man. I absolutely loved reading these things. I'm going to do whatever I can to grab the last one...*sigh*

And I hate GameInformer...which is close to one of the only print vg magazines left.

20. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Degrassi Student

And once again the internet kills something off. GameInformer is just ugh...