• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata dead

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
This is so sad.
I was online with some friends when one of them mentioned this. I immediately went to a news site to make sure my friend was correct.
Unfortunately, my friend was....
I read Serebii's post on the main page and thought about that era of Pokémon. I did not know he was so important for that era.
So sad....

cvgf1x0.jpg

Sign from God that he made it. Rainbow over Nintendo HQ in Kyoto this morning.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
He helped create my all-time favorite Pokémon and Nintendo game, Pokémon Gold & Silver.

He really was part of many children's lives, even if they didn't know it. R.I.P. Iwata.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
While trawling through various links to re-find info and discussing him with friends, I was reminded of this video and feel it is worth watching (or a rewatch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63mG4k-VIyY

It's an episode of a Japanese show (it's subtitled here) called GameCentreCX/Retro Game Master where a guy plays video games (it's pretty entertaining). This episode features Iwata. A good way to see the guy outside of the Directs and etc.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior

Wow, out of all the tributes and stuff I've seen, this one got me.

I think I'm just as shocked as anyone hearing about this. It's a sad day, he will be missed.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I knew he had a sickness but I had no idea it was cancer related.

Now I kinda want to donate to a cancer foundation. I just might actually.

DotKU

Champion
I'm honestly so surprised by this, especially because we all thought he was recovering well. It's very unfortunate, and my respects go out to the Iwata family. RIP Iwata.

Someone else remarked that this was kind of the same level of sadness to his death as that of Robin Williams, and I agree there. He appeared to be more than just a CEO of a company - he talked to us through directs, he was well spoken of and did things like give himself a paycut rather than lay off employees only a few years back. Meanwhile, he was the head of a company which made a lot of games that have been a significant part of my life one way or another - I've made friends through these games and killed many an hour enjoying them. Heck, he even had a hand in Pokemon Gold and Silver. That's a pretty big deal imo.

Rest in peace, Iwata.

I think this post is correct. I am not usually saddened to any significant degree by the death of well-known figures, but the two cases you mention do feel like a similar loss.

I didn't really keep up with the Nintendo Directs, and I didn't know about those really cool things he did for Pokémon until I read about them on Serebii.net, but...maybe I should have paid more attention. In any case, I will miss him.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
The world just lost one of gaming biggest legends. It was so sudden; I was so shocked when I heard about this.

Please understand how grateful most of us are for him. He helped make some of Nintendo's greatest games.

RIP Satoru Iwata 1959-2015

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
This is truly unexpected and shocking news. When a celebrity passes away it is sad but somehow I feel a greater connection to this great man's passing due to my passion for video games. My prominent memories of Satoru Iwata are his enthusiastic but slightly awkward appearances in Nintendo directs but it's both of those things that made him so charming and a joy to watch. I think it is a testament to him that he made an appearance at the investor meeting a relatively short time ago as it showed his commitment to Nintendo and his determination to work as long as he could. I have thought about how to end this off, but I think I will leave that to Mr. Iwata himself:

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Iwata-san

Kalosian

So long
Really sad news. I had no idea he was in so bad condition. Didn't know he had been having health problems for a while now. Always thought he was in good condition because that's how looked on pictures. I don't know exactly which games he has worked on but I am sure I have played at least some of them, and for that, as well as everything else he has done for Nintendo, I thank him.

Rest in peace.

MDS777

The name's Riley
Someone else remarked that this was kind of the same level of sadness to his death as that of Robin Williams, and I agree there. He appeared to be more than just a CEO of a company - he talked to us through directs, he was well spoken of and did things like give himself a paycut rather than lay off employees only a few years back. Meanwhile, he was the head of a company which made a lot of games that have been a significant part of my life one way or another - I've made friends through these games and killed many an hour enjoying them. Heck, he even had a hand in Pokemon Gold and Silver. That's a pretty big deal imo.

Rest in peace, Iwata.

I agree. To be honest, I cried...

He was truly a great man. I don't think Nintendo Directs will ever be the same without him. I loved listening to his voice. I'll never forget his quote and I already have it memorized, "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Iwata

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

That reminds me that Ho-Oh, mascot of Pokémon Gold, has taken care of Iwata in his afterlife.

Ascended Dialga

Rest in peace. I thank you for so many years of fun. You will be missed by gamers around the world.

Torpoleon

Playing SoulSilver as a way to thank Iwata for all his hard work in adding Kanto to the original GS (I doubt my Silver copy works). I also added his Mii to my Wii U and made a Mii Fighter of him in Smash. There is never enough I (or anyone) can truly do to show enough appreciation to Iwata. He was so amazing!

By the way, the rainbow appearing over Nintendo's HQ is amazing and reminds me of the fact that Ho-Oh creates rainbows in Pokémon.

In Super Mario Maker, I'm definitely going to make the first world a tribute to Iwata. Maybe I'll make a level based off of Balloon Fight (with Cape Mario and/or Flying Squirrel Mario hopefully making that doable)! Maybe I'll make Iwata made of brick blocks doing the DIRECTLY gesture and another of him waving goodbye.

BCVM22

That's correct. Shigeru Miyamoto and Genyo Takeda (general manager of Nintendo R&D) will share interim president duties. Miyamoto is supposedly shortlisted to take the position on a full-time basis once it's all sorted out.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Miyamoto is supposedly shortlisted to take the position on a full-time basis once it's all sorted out.

Is he actually? I'd think they'd want someone who's been doing more businessey stuff recently and less gamey stuff, and Miyamoto seems like he'd want to handle more of the latter.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would like to say my last words to Iwata: Iwata-san, Arigatou. Sayonara.

logos2.png

May Pokémon Gold and Silver (including remakes) be forever in our hearts and may Ho-Oh, Lugia and Celebi protect you. Thank you for your great contribution to both Gold and Silver.

Last edited: