• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Bad internet connections all over. We are lucky we even have internet.

Oh, I didn't realize that was a problem in the US. I've never encountered a lack of Wi-Fi anywhere I've gone (which is admittedly limited).

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Or prepare to get dunked, America.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I think the system will run on SD cards, personally. I doubt they would create a download-only console, it's too early and everybody knows that. Besides, SD Cards are cheaper to manufacture and have way more data storage than a disc.

Xeno the Doomguy

I have a switch and getting back into Pokemon!
I am hearing that the Nintendo NX will run on chips, not a bad move. Well IMO.
Chips can run a ton of gigs nowadays like SD cards. But I hope this piece of hardware has a Diskdrive, I love owning a physical copy. Means more too me! And what about the people with no Internet? Would be a shame for ppl with no Internet if this was a download only Console/Handheld/Whatever it actually is.

BCVM22

Getting unnrcessarily worked up over a patent filing. The more rational among you know just how many of those your average company like Nintendo files a year, and a tiny fraction of them only ever actually mean anything.

It's the intellectual property version of that moment that comes around every few years where everyone finds out they filed for trademarks on a bunch of Pokémon game titles that never did and never will see the light of day and a brief period of unnecessary overreaction occurs.

Last edited:

Navarch

Something I'm hoping for is some kind of sale/deal where if you have a N3DS/N3DSXL, you can get the NX for half the price or something upon trade in. If we're getting the NX soonish, I'll be upset that I upgraded to the N3DSXL. But, then again, it was a needed upgrade. I'd been using the very first aqua 3DS...I can't believe I played on such a small screen.

BCVM22

There's nothing to suggest we're getting it soonish, much less soon enough where there's any reason to believe there would be a Nintendo-instituted trade-in incentive for anyone who bought a New 3DS in 2015. And certainly not for half the price at that.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I do wonder what kind of media they'd use, though

I mean, if they want to really push the whole "singular platform" schtick, I presume it would be wise to go with just one kind of media playable on both, but what would that be? would they go with a disc-based handheld, or a card-based console, or some sort of third option?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I do wonder what kind of media they'd use, though

I mean, if they want to really push the whole "singular platform" schtick, I presume it would be wise to go with just one kind of media playable on both, but what would that be? would they go with a disc-based handheld, or a card-based console, or some sort of third option?

Would a disc-based handheld work? Wouldn't the disk drive make it much too large to be a feasible portable system? I'm assuming that this discless patent might mean we're getting handheld-esque cartridges.

That makes me wonder, is it even possible to fit an full scale, modern console game on a 3DS-style cartridge?

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Would a disc-based handheld work? Wouldn't the disk drive make it much too large to be a feasible portable system? I'm assuming that this discless patent might mean we're getting handheld-esque cartridges.

That makes me wonder, is it even possible to fit an full scale, modern console game on a 3DS-style cartridge?

Hyrule Warriors Legends may be the answer to that since that is coming out on the 3DS and has all of the downloadable characters from the Wii U version of the game. If that game can fit on a 3DS-style cartridge or game card, then it may be doable.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Hyrule Warriors Legends may be the answer to that since that is coming out on the 3DS and has all of the downloadable characters from the Wii U version of the game. If that game can fit on a 3DS-style cartridge or game card, then it may be doable.

It barely fits in there by decreasing the quality and number of enemies on the screen.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

3DS cards max out at 8 GB, but that tech is so ancient now, I wouldn't really use it as a reference point for a 2016 system

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You never heard of the PSP?

I have, but I know next to nothing about it. Does it use disks? Aren't disks bigger than the system itself?

3DS cards max out at 8 GB, but that tech is so ancient now, I wouldn't really use it as a reference point for a 2016 system

I did say 3DS-style.

It is absolutely possible to make some sort of solid state media for use in a home console.

If that's the case, it kind of makes you wonder why someone hasn't done it before. Cartridges seem a lot easier to store and harder to damage than discs.

BCVM22

I have, but I know next to nothing about it. Does it use disks? Aren't disks bigger than the system itself?

You're making the puzzling mistake of thinking every optical media has to be the size of a CD or DVD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Media_Disc (PSP)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_discs (GameCube)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDVD

Cartridges seem a lot easier to store and harder to damage than discs.

The problem is that they hold considerably less data than optical media.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You're making the puzzling mistake of thinking every optical media has to be the size of a CD or DVD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Media_Disc (PSP)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_discs (GameCube)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDVD

Oh yeah, forgot about the GameCube having those tiny discs. I've never seen or heard of the PSP discs or MiniDVDs before. Aside from GameCube discs I've only seen normal sized discs.

The problem is that they hold considerably less data than optical media.

So if that's the case, then let me rephrase my original question. Could they easily put a full scale, modern console game on a cartridge? And by easily, I mean able to base an entire console off of it.