• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Technical question - how much power does the USB-C port in the dock need to let me play on a monitor?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Technical question - how much power does the USB-C port in the dock need to let me play on a monitor?

The Switch adapter is 15V at 2.6 amps. You'd need to match that for the dock to work correctly.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
So I bought Odyssey for like $14 less, before taxes, on Amazon. Bought Ultra Sun for that deal too.
I remember seeing the same deal for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, should've bought it.

Is that something for Nintendo or just random Amazon generosity?

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I think I'd generally remind everyone that being a bit bullish on Switch sales is a good thing - expect more, expect good things out of this console. We're now expecting its first year to outsell the Wii U's LTD figure, and we could see a massive 25 million to 30 million units produced in 2018. That's a strong indicator that a lot of people, inside Nintendo and out, expect this to be another commercial behemoth; the magic 100 million mark isn't happening until like 2021 at the earliest, but it's not out of the question during the console's lifetime.

When Nintendo comes out swinging with a brand new gimmick, things get wild and unpredictable!

If they were willing to just port Mario Kart 8, perhaps the flagship revenue generating super IP in their wheelhouse, I don't think it's out of the question to port over the game that already has 54 characters and like 40 stages ready to go. Especially Since SSB5 would probably need like 2-3 years in the oven from announcement

I disagree about that development time - I don't think they'd wait that long, especially 3 years, to release a product that will be one of their primary revenue drivers and that is already highly anticipated for the console. There's no way they'd so thoroughly dissatisfy their consumers with such a monumental wait. I really wouldn't be surprised if SSB5 is actually already in early development and looking at a late 2018 or 2019 release - that's not really even 2 years from now.

You do have a point, however, with the level of preparation that's gone into SSB4 and how that might incentivize a port, which would thereby change the timeline for SSB5. I don't think it's the same situation as MK8 and what inspired them to release that soon after the console, but I concede that the situation is similar and a lot of time and money has been invested into SSB4. The most likely scenario I see is a sort of SSB4 Deluxe coming next year, with all prior content included and some new content or DLC on the way for the Switch edition. I don't expect the next entry to be out any later than 2020 or so, though. They've got a smash hit console on their hands, and they'll want to drive sales with flagship releases and franchises for years - so they've probably got quite a bit already planned.

Nintendo had no problem selling three different Game Boys, three different Nintendos, and two different... however you prefer to pluralize "DS". Except for the dumbest consumers, I don't think the name was anywhere near the problem people wanted to make it out to be.

People trotted that excuse out for the 3DS when it was doing lackluster and, mysteriously, this stopped being an issue the moment mario kart, mario 3d land and a price drop hit
While I *know* there's people that thought wii u was just a wii-but-more (also an issue I don't think was a thing considering the wii mini had no such problems) I doubt such a problem was widespread

It's pretty widely agreed upon, by analysts and casuals alike, that the name was a problematic component of the overall image and marketing, which cause people to think that it was simply a peripheral device or altogether not different enough to warrant a purchase.

The Switch having stellar marketing and image so far is definitely one of the primary differences and what has attracted better games and devs. I'm fully confident that it will at the very least do as well as the PS4 and I won't be surprised if the Switch line of devices (since more iterations are almost inevitable) do as well as the Wii in the end.

There's really not that much else on which you can blame the straight-up abysmal figures for the Wii U. You could say that it was a lack of games, but that was due directly to its complete lack of sales longevity. You could say that the dual screen design was awkward and made much less sense than a handheld dual-screen system, I suppose - that's part of what made people perceive it as a peripheral device, along with the name and marketing. You could even argue that its highly unfavorable specs compared to the XB1 and PS4 lines was a factor, but when has Nintendo (recently) been known for raw power and state of the art graphics?

The only other thing truly differentiating the consoles, besides general marketing, is the central gimmick. The Wii U didn't have one that was, well, any good. Two screens had been done in handheld games but made things awkward and clunky on console. Motion controls were by then old news. The Switch's integral, well, switch is the only thing I see besides the marketing that explains the wildly more positive commercial response.

BCVM22

It's pretty widely agreed upon, by analysts and casuals alike, that the name was a problematic component of the overall image and marketing, which cause people to think that it was simply a peripheral device or altogether not different enough to warrant a purchase.

I've never seen an "analyst" say this and casuals are... casual (certainly not all casuals are the "dumbest consumers" I mentioned, but all of the "dumbest consumers" in this case are casuals), so I'm not terribly concerned as to what they "widely agreed upon," as if that suddenly becomes canon.

Again, Nintendo recycled hardware names across three different lines for years and it was never really an issue. Wii U suffered from lack of software and a controller concept that didn't completely pan out. Whether one was the chicken and one was the egg and which one came first, or whether the two issues formed an equal symbiosis, is a matter of reasonable debate. If the name of the system was a factor, it was not a significant one.

Pokemon Power

The eshop is down for Christmas because of the massive influx of new Switch owners.

I blame the fact the bundles come with digital codes for games, namely Super Mario Odyssey.

Yes, I noticed when I booted it up on my Wii U. I'm waiting for it to get back up so I can use the $20 Nintendo points card I got in my stocking today.

EDIT: It's back on.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
that delay could be troublesome for third party support next year

Seems to be cost-related? 32GB is expensive as is

Last edited:

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
that delay could be troublesome for third party support next year

Seems to be cost-related? 32GB is expensive as is

It's definitely related to the cost; Nintendo essentially doesn't want to produce 64GB game cards until it's cheaper to do so. It's a problem that's pretty noticeable even when buying SD cards and thumb drives - you see prices really start to jump up once you pass that 32GB threshold. If Nintendo can't mass-produce cheap game cards with 64GB of storage, they won't do it, because they need to be able to sell those games with a reasonable profit margin for all parties involved.

It's extremely annoying to hear and I can't really fault anyone but Nintendo, but I don't think it's a very big deal. From my own personal research (which could be flawed of course), it appears that there are only around 70 games that are on either the XB1 or the PS4 that definitely exceed the current 32BG limit, though the list doesn't appear to be fully updated for November and December. Many of these titles are flagship console exclusives that never would have made it to the Switch in the first place - one of the largest, for example, is Halo 5.

There simply aren't that many games that would realistically have reached the Switch in the first place that are affected by this delay. The only major title confirmed for 2018 that will be impacted is Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, which is solidly over 40GB on both other modern consoles. There are a couple games that have been rumored for the Switch that could be affected - these include Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3 (though we don't have a clue how big it is yet), GTA V, and maybe a few more. A ton of these games, though, are just not happening on the Switch at all; you won't see Halo, Deus Ex, Horizon Zero Dawn, or Battlefield on the Switch, and you probably won't see ESO or Dragon Age, or Mass Effect: Andromeda.

It's still terrible, of course. Nintendo has actually said that developers are disappointed or frustrated with this, so we know that either original games or ports are currently slated for the Switch that will either be pushed back as well or that will have to make accommodations accordingly. That's a problem, because we can't tolerate a relationship with third party developers that isn't better than in the past. Extended third party support is the second wind in a console's life span - Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon can only get this thing so far, and the rest is made up by other companies. You can't really expect these developers to micromanage their data either - when they do it poorly, as seen in a couple ports already, the game has huge loading times and performance suffers - so you have to give them space and freedom.

tl;dr this isn't that big of a deal and probably won't affect Switch sales or even that many games, but it's a frustrating reminder that Nintendo is still and will always be Nintendo

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Seeing as how my desire to obtain the Nintendo Switch has completely trumped my desire for the PS4, I am very much hoping Soulcalibur VI makes its highly requested port to Nintendo Switch.

And considering the Switch is in need of further third-party support, this would do it, given the port would likely include the return of Link, potentially boosting sales drastically.

Developers have confirmed that the port isn't at all out of the realm of possibility, though it won't be anywhere near the game's initial release.

MiloticTwins

A New Guitar Hero Game for the Nintendo Switch?

Hey, guys. I just want to know whether or not you think a new Guitar Hero video game will come to Nintendo Switch?