• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Vipsoccermaster

We're getting a bunch of Switch enhanced ports of Wii U games. First Mario Kart 8, next Pokken Tournament, then Bayonetta 2 (alongside Bayonetta 1), and now Hyrule Warriors and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze! What's next? Super Mario 3D World? Star Fox Zero? Super Smash Bros. 4?!
One reason of doing this is that a lot of people missed out on the games that were on the Wii U. With the games being ported to Switch, there can be players who never got them when they first came. Additionally, Wii U was a failure while the Switch is a complete success.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Mario Maker is the most obvious option.

I honestly think Mario Maker has run its course at this point.

A Smash 4 port is likely what will come, especially since Sakurai has no intention on doing a sequel anytime soon, and fans will still want a Smash game on the Switch. Thus, to satisfy fans, they'll have a Switch port.

Pokemon Power

I honestly think Mario Maker has run its course at this point.

A Smash 4 port is likely what will come, especially since Sakurai has no intention on doing a sequel anytime soon, and fans will still want a Smash game on the Switch. Thus, to satisfy fans, they'll have a Switch port.

With all the features from both 3DS and Wii U, plus additional characters, modes and stages. That's what I would like.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Very happy at the Hyrule Warriors port. A bit miffed at the same time though as I bought a Wii U back in October specifically for the Wii U version but having everything in one will be very nice and will definitely eat a LOT of my free time. I hope they at least add something other than the new BotW costumes for Link and Zelda though. Dual element weapons for the characters that didn't have them and online co-op maybe?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
With all the features from both 3DS and Wii U, plus additional characters, modes and stages. That's what I would like.

I'd say don't expect too many new characters, if any. There would probably three at the most.

But yes, I do see the combining of all Wii U and 3DS features as a strong possibility, should a port occur.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
It's been over three years since the last games first released. If Sakurai hasn't been doing a new IP/reboot, he's probably been doing Smash 5

Edit: Rest of the potential stuff would be:
Yoshi's Woolly World
Kirby & the Rainbow Curse
Xenoblade Chronicles X
TLOZ Twilight Princess HD
TLOZ Wind Waker HD
Captain Toad
Pikmin 3
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival

Most of these have some sort of sequel coming.

lol amiibo Festival. TMS I could see, and iirc Takahashi wanted XCX. Rainbow Curse is dubious, since it would have to be handheld only. Captain Toad seems like another good pick.

Edit 2: Looking at the current list of remaining IPs, I have zero hope in E3. I think we are going to see more ports and third party rereleases.

We'll probably see some new IPs at E3

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
We'll probably see some new IPs at E3

Well, yeah, but there is no reason to think they will be relevant or vice versa. Any new IP is a complete black box, in theory.

I'd say don't expect too many new characters, if any.

We are gonna get a new FF and Pokémon, not to mention there is no Gen 7 representative. There is probably going to be something ARMS related as well.

R_N

I'd say don't expect too many new characters, if any. There would probably three at the most.

But yes, I do see the combining of all Wii U and 3DS features as a strong possibility, should a port occur.

Even 3 seems otpimistic. I'm thinking one, maaaaaybe two. Probably Inklings.

I actually don't think we'd get all the 3DS content. Like tropheis sure, whatever, but several of the 3DS stages would probably require new assets rather than just uprezzed assets. Maybe a few of the cooler ones. Smash Run is the Dream (TM) but i could see it staying in the realm of 3ds forever. O

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Most likely Inklings, for sure. Maybe a Gen 7 Pokémon, and maybe Celica, but inklings and Ice Climbers would come first before anything else.

Kinda unfortunate that Bravely Third is still in the dark, but there’s still E3.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
How deeply disappointing for a first Direct of the year. There are just so many other things that could have been discussed or announced if they're in the works at all; the only thing I find interesting out of this whole thing is the Dark Souls release. That'll be an interesting title for a Nintendo console. But other than that, nothing I'd hoped to see was discussed, and nothing else interests me much at all. I'm skeptical about The World Ends With You, but I've always been skeptical of that game and its perplexingly positive reception.

I suppose I can sit and either twiddle my thumbs to games I've already finished for a quarter year or two; my attention is a little absorbed by my new PS4 & Vita anyway so I can't complain all that much. But I really do hope we have some interesting things happening by the time Summer hits - I'll definitely get Lost Sphear on the Switch this month, but that can only get me so many hours!

Kinda unfortunate that Bravely Third is still in the dark, but there’s still E3.

I wonder if they might actually port the other two games first? There's been some whispering here and there that they'd lean that way before wrapping up a third game, since we don't know for absolute certain that the third one is on the way just yet. It would be really nice to have the whole Bravely series on the Switch! ... especially since I no longer have a 3DS in an effort to move fully into the current gaming market, but that's my problem lol.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
If a Smash port comes out this year, a new Pokémon, FE and one other character is what I'd place my bets on. Pokémon is obvious, GF will want a new guy to promote, but whether it's a Gen 7 or 8 depends on how far along Pokémon Switch is and if they're willing to pull a Greninja with them. FE will probably be from the new Switch game since there's been little indication that it's getting delayed unlike Pokémon. As for the third newcomer, ARMs and Inklings are strong choices, though they could surprise us with another third party or the like.

Pokemon Power

If a Smash port comes out this year, a new Pokémon, FE and one other character is what I'd place my bets on. Pokémon is obvious, GF will want a new guy to promote, but whether it's a Gen 7 or 8 depends on how far along Pokémon Switch is and if they're willing to pull a Greninja with them. FE will probably be from the new Switch game since there's been little indication that it's getting delayed unlike Pokémon. As for the third newcomer, ARMs and Inklings are strong choices, though they could surprise us with another third party or the like.

I'd expect at least six additional fighters.

R_N

I don't think there will be another FE character. Sakurai himself even brought up that "isn't this too many?!" when adding Corrin, I can't see them going to the FE well again

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I don't think there will be another FE character. Sakurai himself even brought up that "isn't this too many?!" when adding Corrin, I can't see them going to the FE well again

You make a good point, but another factor to consider is FE Warriors and FE Heroes and their commercial reception. As it stands, Warriors hasn't exactly sold phenomenally well; even combining both its platforms, it fails to make the top ten titles in the whole series. In contrast though, the legitimate success and popularity of Heroes (over $240 million generated as of last month) potentially lends itself to continued attention and support for the franchise from Nintendo, including in the form of Smash characters if they deem it reasonable.

But with the high character count already, I'm hesitant to really commit to the idea that another one will show up.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

I'd agree, but even with Corrin it didn't take too much to win him over then since he did have the same reservations at the time. So if the new FE character is unique or brings something to the table I don't think Sakurai would automatically dismiss it.

R_N

You make a good point, but another factor to consider is FE Warriors and FE Heroes and their commercial reception. As it stands, Warriors hasn't exactly sold phenomenally well; even combining both its platforms, it fails to make the top ten titles in the whole series. In contrast though, the legitimate success and popularity of Heroes (over $240 million generated as of last month) potentially lends itself to continued attention and support for the franchise from Nintendo, including in the form of Smash characters if they deem it reasonable.

But with the high character count already, I'm hesitant to really commit to the idea that another one will show up.

fe is a success story, yes, and that is also probably why Robin got in, why Lucina got her own slot, why they revived Roy and why Corrin got in. Let FE rest for a port (well, maybe a new stage, why not) and we'll circle back to this for Smash 5.

If they went to an existing series for a newcomer for a port I'd rather it be like...zelda. No newcomer in smash 4 because they threw everyone into assist trophies or otherwise ignored (Impaaaaaaaa) and arguably barely had a new comer for Brawl (& they almost didn't have that....)

Genos

TTYD
Yeah I'm officially on the boat for the Smash 4 port. But I expect it to be released late Summer or early Fall.

I wonder why DKTF is releasing so late. It looks like it's ready to go. And I'm saying that because it's a port!

Happy Star Allies got a release date (and early!). I'm planning to preorder it in February.

BCVM22

I wonder why DKTF is releasing so late. It looks like it's ready to go. And I'm saying that because it's a port!

I don't think it's a matter of readiness - if the game was "announced" today for release in less than four months, it's probably mostly done.

You have to stagger things to some degree, and they otherwise announced releases for January, February, March, "spring", May and "this year." Something simply has to be released in those later slots - can't release everything at once.

Vipsoccermaster

Happy Star Allies got a release date (and early!). I'm planning to preorder it in February.
To be fair, there are a couple of other games slated to come in Spring 2018, like Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition and Mario Tennis Aces. And there's already two games from the Direct coming in May, and yet there is none for April. Even if DKC:TF is a port, Nintendo is trying to leave some space between games.

Friday, February 16, 2018: Bayonetta 1 & 2
Friday, March 16, 2018: Kirby: Star Allies
Friday, May 4, 2018: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Friday, May 25, 2018: Dark Souls Remastered

There's flat-out nothing set in stone for release in April 2018.