• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

BCVM22

Although it doesn't have the exact functionality of the standard Joy-Con.

Which is why I put it in quotes.

As Joy-Cons have no appreciable space for graphics and red ("Poké Ball") and yellow ("Pikachu") Joy-Cons already exist for other reasons, there's not a ton of ground left that a "Pokémon Joy-Con" would cover anyway.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
True. At this stage Nintendo hasn't released dichromatic Joy-Cons, which will make it more feasible for a Pokémon Joy-Con especially with Red and White for a Poké Ball. So Nintendo's got to be really creative if they need to have Pokémon Edition Joy-Cons.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That's great and all, but why now? Seems like such random timing.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I mean they said future updates right? It's not like this is the only one.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
So do you think the Switch will eventually get a fully functional web browser and apps to watch Netflix and YouTube videos? Because I can see the system having a way to post videos of gameplay on the site with the capture button. I’d also love to see an eventual Switch app that allows you to play music you downloaded on to the SD card and you could view screen captures as the background as the music plays. The DSi And 3DS did it well enough and the Sony And Xbox consoles have music playing functionality as well so I don’t see why the Switch should be left out.

BCVM22

The Switch will get media apps eventually, I’m sure, but that’s much in the hands of the media platforms as it is Nintendo. They can’t beat down Netflix’s door and demand they finish the Switch app or their prized goldfish gets whacked. Good chance we get something on that alongside the launch of the online service.

A web browser may or may not happen eventually. It doesn’t really seem to be a priority right now, and that’s fine.

As for direct posting of video to YouTube from the system, remember the Switch only captures 30 seconds of video at a time, and I’m not sure how useful that is to people who really care about being able to post direct-feed video.

The 3DS and adjacent systems could play music more as a novelty than anything. Sony and Microsoft’s consoles do it with a full play interface because they fancy themselves media centers as much as they do game systems. The Switch doesn’t really need or fall into either category. Not that the Switch can’t or shouldn’t do that, but it’s not as if there’s any strong reason it really needs to either.

R_N

That's great and all, but why now? Seems like such random timing.
They've been pushing extended life updates for most of their titles, it makes sense to go back to Mario Kart 8 DX, one of their big evergreen titles, and do the same treatment, especially as we head into paid online territory. Helps keep the game fresh, might get people to come back for a bit

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They've been pushing extended life updates for most of their titles, it makes sense to go back to Mario Kart 8 DX, one of their big evergreen titles, and do the same treatment, especially as we head into paid online territory. Helps keep the game fresh, might get people to come back for a bit

I get giving the game the update, it's more the content of the update. The Breath of the Wild DLC is very old news at the point. Seems like a really random time for a tie-in. Not that I don't appreciate it.

BCVM22

The Breath of the Wild DLC is very old news at the point. Seems like a really random time for a tie-in.

There's the problem.

The update wouldn't have had this benefit:

-- had they released it last December alongside The Champions' Ballad.

So when you determine that the timing of the update was never going to perfectly match in that regard, then there's nothing really out of the ordinary about it.

R_N

BOTW Link getting into Smash also helps keep things from being too out of the blue. Smash link got his make over now check out this make over.

BCVM22

Or the fact an easy $20 eShop card can accomplish that as well

As you saw, these are straight up subscription prepays - instead of having to credit your eShop account and then spend that on a subscription, you can streamline the process. It's not a significant benefit but it is a benefit. And, as you said, it allows them to tap...

but I guess there are people not well-versed in online shopping in games.

...this market. Mom and Dad or Grandma and Grandpa can buy Junior a subscription straightaway via these means, or someone who's invested in the Amazon ecosystem and has credit to spend or gets some some other benefit from buying from Amazon can make use of it as well.

Xbox Live sells similar digital and physical prepaid subscription cards in the same way. Go to any Target or Best Buy and they're sold like shop cards for those systems as well. It's just a means of streamlining the process.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I understand the bit about buying the subcription on Amazon, or as a prepaid card etc. Just not the pre-ordering bit. It's not like there's a limited amount, and unless they're giving a discount or bonus time as a pre-order bonus I'm just baffled that we've gotten to this point.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Here's hoping we get more news of the Online Service in August. You know, a real release date?

Seriously, just a full month left before it launches.

Last edited: