• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Retro wasn’t working on it before, but also current Retro has like no one left who worked on Prime in the first place.

After Other M got a lot of negative feedback Nintendo does need to find the ground Metroid needs to go on, and if they want to do the shooter angle I do think they need to bring in people who know how that works best

Pokemon Power

I understand. May be until 2021 until we get it, but I can wait.
By the way, it seems less and less likely that we’ll be getting a January Direct this year. Maybe it’s because they’re planning something big for February, like a Pokémon Direct.

R_N

Retro wasn’t working on it before, but also current Retro has like no one left who worked on Prime in the first place.

After Other M got a lot of negative feedback Nintendo does need to find the ground Metroid needs to go on, and if they want to do the shooter angle I do think they need to bring in people who know how that works best
otoh it's not like anyone who worked on the original MP really went on to do anything notable

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wow, I'm just devastated right now. I can literally feel it in the pit of my stomach how sad this has made me. I was looking forward to this game so much. I can't even imagine possibly having to wait another three, maybe four years, to play this game. At least this should still be a good year for games, with Animal Crossing and Pokémon, but it won't be the same.

And now I really want to know what this scrapped game, which was presumably almost complete, was, and what made it so bad as to necessitate a total restart from scratch. I hope we get some leaks describing it in the future.

EDIT: I just want to be clear, I'm not trying to complain about the delay. I take more issue with the fact that it got to the point where it needed to be delayed in the first place. I am of course sad that the delay happened, but given the situation they're in, I totally understand, and support the decision to delay and restart, I just wish it wasn't a need to begin with.

Last edited:

BCVM22

It is unlikely that the game was "almost complete." Maybe complete enough to have shown it in some form at some point this year, but I can assure you they did not, today, scrap an "almost complete" game to start over from the beginning and with a new development studio.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It is unlikely that the game was "almost complete." Maybe complete enough to have shown it in some form at some point this year, but I can assure you they did not, today, scrap an "almost complete" game to start over from the beginning and with a new development studio.

I guess everyone could've been wrong, but the general consensus was that the game was planned for release this year. The announcement said the game was scrapped because the project wasn't living up to their expectations, not because it wasn't going to release in time, so I have to imagine that game was relatively close to be done, if it really was supposed to release this year, at least compared to most scrapped games.

BCVM22

"General consensus" according to whom? All I recall after them showing us the logo was "it's coming along, in due time."

Again, it is possible that they took a game that was set to release ten months from now and upended the tea table on it, but I don't believe we were given any indication that was the case. What they told us about "not meeting expectations" vs. what they didn't tell us about meeting deadlines doesn't have any bearing on it, in and of itself.

bobjr

Staff member
Never trust a release schedule when there’s not even any kind of video besides an announcement.

Even then be wary, look at Death Stranding

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
People on social media have taken the delay of MP4 surprisingly well. Many have been thankful for Nintendo's transparency on the matter.

Meanwhile, there are other games I'm looking forward to, including Animal Crossing and Pokemon, FFVII port among others.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
No way was Prime 4 coming out this year, even had they not just started over.

I'm fine with this, I'd rather play a good game than a bad one, if they think this will bring a better game, then great.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Meanwhile, there are other games I'm looking forward to, including Animal Crossing and Pokemon, FFVII port among others.
Im looking to those games as well along with the FF X collection and Mortal Kombat 11. This is the first MK on a Nintendo console since UMK3 for the DS in 2007.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Ever since the announcement of Prime 4, I don't think I've seen a single a prediction for a release date that wasn't 2019. I just took it for granted and assumed that's what everyone thought was going to happen. Regardless, it really doesn't matter, so I'll just retract that "nearly complete" part of my statement.

Still, I am interested in one day learning what the game concept was, and why it was so bad that Nintendo felt the need to start from scratch. It'll probably never happen, but it would be interesting.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm speechless. Delays happen, but for them to completely scrap everything and start over is nearly unheard of. Props to Nintendo for being so transparent about the issue and caring about the quality of the game and the fans' excitement for the game, but likewise, shame on whoever it was initially developing the game that screwed up so badly that they needed to start over from scratch. I'm also curious about just what they did so horribly wrong that they needed to go to this extreme to ensure the game's quality. But man, is this turning into a real development hell, we're going to be getting this game MUCH later than any of us would've liked. I was hoping we'd get Prime 4 in 2013, but it's looking more like 2023 at this point.

While we wait though, they should really come out with some filler games. Prime Trilogy HD is pretty much a must at this point, hopefully it'll release either this year or next year. Beyond that, maybe they could get MercurySteam to work on another 2D game?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
While we wait though, they should really come out with some filler games. Prime Trilogy HD is pretty much a must at this point, hopefully it'll release either this year or next year. Beyond that, maybe they could get MercurySteam to work on another 2D game?

Okay, here's Federation Force 2 for you.

Jokes aside, the next logical step would seem to be either a Super or Fusion remake. I'd of course prefer an entirely new game, taking place after Fusion, though.

Personally though, while I like 2D Metroid titles, they just don't compare to Prime. It wouldn't be much of a holdover for me.

You know, now that I think about it, I'm actually kind of considering buying Federation Force now. Didn't see much of a need to before, because I saw it as an indication that Prime 4 was coming soon. Perhaps it might help tide me over, even if only just a little. Wonder if I can buy it used for cheap yet.

They were clearly making the sequel of Other M by accident.

It was Ather F.

In all seriousness, I wonder if they accidentally ended up making something that felt more like Other M in play-style than Prime, and when Nintendo realized this, knowing the fanbase's opinion on Other M, they decided they needed to start over with a different studio.

If that was somehow the case, as unlikely as it is, then I kind of hope that they end up using its already made assets to create a new story under a different title, unrelated to the Prime Trilogy. I'd be down for another Other M styled game, especially if it cleaned up things from the first. It would certainly be less wasteful than trashing the game altogether, and we'd get an extra Metroid game out of the deal.

bobjr

Staff member
Honestly the real issue with Other M is the story over any other issues. I'm someone who believes stories aren't important in games unless they try to be, but Other M is such a bad Metroid story I don't know how they could salvage it with gameplay fixes.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Jokes aside, the next logical step would seem to be either a Super or Fusion remake. I'd of course prefer an entirely new game, taking place after Fusion, though.

All good choices, I'd gladly take any of those.

I also had a thought that maybe they could make an interquel between Samus Returns and Super where the Baby plays a bigger role in the gameplay. I loved how at the end of Samus Returns you could use the Baby to explore the rest of SR388 and use it to help you get the last few Expansions and I think that's worth exploring a little more gameplay wise, the Baby could get some of its own powerups and grow stronger throughout the game along with Samus. Not as sure they're going to do that though.

Personally though, while I like 2D Metroid titles, they just don't compare to Prime. It wouldn't be much of a holdover for me.

Maybe, but it's not like they can just pull another 3D game out of their ass soon enough to tide people over from Prime 4 aside from ports/remasters. 2D games would take less time to develop so they could feasibly be released quicker. So unless they want to take risks re-releasing some of the more controversial games in the series like Other M or Federation Force, those are pretty much their only other options.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Gives me more time to finally get around to the metroid trilogy I had picked up on the Wii U for the low $13 price ages back. :V I'm fine with the delay if it means a good game at the end of it.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Personally, any news is better than silently dropping it. Reminds me of a story Star Craft game announced for the PS2 and Game Cube once.. It even got a trailer at a game show, but it kept getting delayed to the point where Blizzard more or less had to admit they can canned it. At least the main character got in to other games.. and jokes about her own game (or lack of) are in as well.