• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but this video seems to well explain why the joy cons are drifting.

Apparently, the sensors are made of a very fragile material that breaks down eaisly over time. The metal prongs that rub against them to signal movement inch off bits of debris, and that leftover debris is what the sensors are picking up.

Basically, Nintendo needs to replace the sensor material with one that can withstand friction.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Good find! Mine hasn't run into drift yet, thankfully... but it did disconnect recently. So I'm getting ready to send it in for repair, just to be on the safe side (it's the left one).

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The only odd thing with the Joy Cons I’ve encountered is that with each pair that I own, one of them will be drained faster of the battery life than the other. With my Red and Blue Joy Cons, it’s the Red that drains faster while it’s reversed with my neon pink and green Joy Cons. Granted they all still hold a charge for at least eight hours when using something like YouTube before the low battery message flashes on screen. But after a couple of hours whenever you look at the battery level, one will be almost fully charged while the other is almost half. It’s a bit odd.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
The only odd thing with the Joy Cons I’ve encountered is that with each pair that I own, one of them will be drained faster of the battery life than the other. With my Red and Blue Joy Cons, it’s the Red that drains faster while it’s reversed with my neon pink and green Joy Cons. Granted they all still hold a charge for at least eight hours when using something like YouTube before the low battery message flashes on screen. But after a couple of hours whenever you look at the battery level, one will be almost fully charged while the other is almost half. It’s a bit odd.
That's a bit strange. Both of mine seem to hold a charge pretty well.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
That's a bit strange. Both of mine seem to hold a charge pretty well.
I googled the issue and I’m not the only one but some people theorize that since the right Joy Con has more motion control parts inside, it uses more of the battery power to operate. Which makes some sense but why does my pink Joy Con drain faster? It just is odd that after two or three hours one controller is nearly full but the other is about half.

Pokemon Power

Yeah, I've been running into this issue as well. Sometimes the control stick on my left Joy-Con doesn't respond when I point it in a direction.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I heard about this drifting issue, and I know that Pro Contollers don't seem to have it. But this is a real problem if Nintendo doesn't fix this, because the Switch Lite has two Joycons that can't be detached, which means if that console experiences drift, then the whole console's shot. The most concerning thing about this is Nintendo hasn't responded to the problem at all. When a problem like this happens and the company doesn't address it or respond to it with some kind of message, it tells me that they don't have a solution to it. It's probably why the class action lawsuit's happening.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
But this is a real problem if Nintendo doesn't fix this, because the Switch Lite has two Joycons that can't be detached, which means if that console experiences drift, then the whole console's shot.
I don't think that the Switch LIte will have that problem. They're not really Joycons and they don't have all the features that joycons have.

I mean, I guess I could be wrong, but I don't think it will be an issue.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I don't think that the Switch LIte will have that problem. They're not really Joycons and they don't have all the features that joycons have.

The issue is with the joystick. If they are using the same exact joystick as the normal Switch, it will have the same issue.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The issue is with the joystick. If they are using the same exact joystick as the normal Switch, it will have the same issue.
I still think it's a huge maybe.

This doesn't affect the pro controller, and the sides of the Switch Lite isn't really a joycon.

Edit: Maybe it does affect the pro controller. I thought I heard it didn't. IDK.

Last edited:

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Has drifting been a major issue with previous Nintendo or other game console controls? This seems very specific to joy cons, and those are not something I’d want to have constantly repaired or buy replacements of. If this also affects the Lite, then I wouldn’t want to keep sending it to repairs either...

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Sometimes I have trouble with my Wiimote not lining up properly with the screen but not my Switch

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Has drifting been a major issue with previous Nintendo or other game console controls? This seems very specific to joy cons, and those are not something I’d want to have constantly repaired or buy replacements of. If this also affects the Lite, then I wouldn’t want to keep sending it to repairs either...
The fact that you have to pay $40 plus shipment costs to repair the controller and be without one piece of a pair for a week is extremely annoying. It also sounds like an easy way to get more money doing nothing.
Sometimes I have trouble with my Wiimote not lining up properly with the screen but not my Switch
That mostly has to do with very old sensor bars. I replaced mine with a new one, and the difference is amazing.

SBaby

Dungeon Master

I hope you're right. I really do. Because if it turns out that those problems start happening on the Lite, then that's going to be a serious strike against Nintendo's reputation and potentially open up the path to more lawsuits, since they would then essentially have console malfunctions on their hands in that case.

As far as I'm aware, it's only happening with the joycons. The Pro controllers don't seem to be affected by this (so Smash fans, do not fear). The problem is that not only are there games that REQUIRE the use of joycons, but those are also the most expensive Nintendo controllers on the market, often running about $70 to $80 for brand new ones (and with the drifting issue, I doubt anyone in their right mind is going to buy them used).

Looks like Nintendo is aware of the lawsuit.

It's kind of hard for them NOT to be aware of the lawsuit, since they're the ones being sued. But the fact that they haven't really responded directly to the drifting issue outside of a memo regarding fixing joycons for free (which may not even cure the problem) is troubling.

If you're having trouble with Joy-Con drift, take a look at this.

I always take any kind of 'leaks' with a grain of salt until the company releases an official statement on the issue, especially when it comes to fixing a flaw. Sure, they probably do fix the joycons for free. But is this a permanent fix, or are the sticks going to drift again a few months later? These are the things consumers need to hear them address. And when companies don't address it, it tells consumers they don't have a long term solution for the problem (in other words, they don't know how to solve the issue).

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member