1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Phsy-Spark, Mar 17, 2015.

1. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but this video seems to well explain why the joy cons are drifting.

Apparently, the sensors are made of a very fragile material that breaks down eaisly over time. The metal prongs that rub against them to signal movement inch off bits of debris, and that leftover debris is what the sensors are picking up.

Basically, Nintendo needs to replace the sensor material with one that can withstand friction.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    wolf jani and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Still miss you, Lorne. Staff Member

Good find! Mine hasn't run into drift yet, thankfully... but it did disconnect recently. So I'm getting ready to send it in for repair, just to be on the safe side (it's the left one).

wolf jani likes this.
  3. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

The only odd thing with the Joy Cons I’ve encountered is that with each pair that I own, one of them will be drained faster of the battery life than the other. With my Red and Blue Joy Cons, it’s the Red that drains faster while it’s reversed with my neon pink and green Joy Cons. Granted they all still hold a charge for at least eight hours when using something like YouTube before the low battery message flashes on screen. But after a couple of hours whenever you look at the battery level, one will be almost fully charged while the other is almost half. It’s a bit odd.

4. WishIhadaManafi5

That's a bit strange. Both of mine seem to hold a charge pretty well.

wolf jani likes this.
  5. Captain Jigglypuff

I googled the issue and I’m not the only one but some people theorize that since the right Joy Con has more motion control parts inside, it uses more of the battery power to operate. Which makes some sense but why does my pink Joy Con drain faster? It just is odd that after two or three hours one controller is nearly full but the other is about half.

6. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been running into this issue as well. Sometimes the control stick on my left Joy-Con doesn't respond when I point it in a direction.

7. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

I heard about this drifting issue, and I know that Pro Contollers don't seem to have it. But this is a real problem if Nintendo doesn't fix this, because the Switch Lite has two Joycons that can't be detached, which means if that console experiences drift, then the whole console's shot. The most concerning thing about this is Nintendo hasn't responded to the problem at all. When a problem like this happens and the company doesn't address it or respond to it with some kind of message, it tells me that they don't have a solution to it. It's probably why the class action lawsuit's happening.

8. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

I don't think that the Switch LIte will have that problem. They're not really Joycons and they don't have all the features that joycons have.

I mean, I guess I could be wrong, but I don't think it will be an issue.

wolf jani likes this.
  9. Team Volt Grunt

Team Volt Grunt Pokémon Collector

The issue is with the joystick. If they are using the same exact joystick as the normal Switch, it will have the same issue.

wolf jani likes this.
  10. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

I still think it's a huge maybe.

This doesn't affect the pro controller, and the sides of the Switch Lite isn't really a joycon.

Edit: Maybe it does affect the pro controller. I thought I heard it didn't. IDK.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    wolf jani likes this.
  11. Sceptrigon

Sceptrigon Armored Guardian

Has drifting been a major issue with previous Nintendo or other game console controls? This seems very specific to joy cons, and those are not something I’d want to have constantly repaired or buy replacements of. If this also affects the Lite, then I wouldn’t want to keep sending it to repairs either...

12. Captain Jigglypuff

Sometimes I have trouble with my Wiimote not lining up properly with the screen but not my Switch

13. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

The fact that you have to pay $40 plus shipment costs to repair the controller and be without one piece of a pair for a week is extremely annoying. It also sounds like an easy way to get more money doing nothing.
    That mostly has to do with very old sensor bars. I replaced mine with a new one, and the difference is amazing.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  14. Pokemon Power

If you're having trouble with Joy-Con drift, take a look at this.

AgentKallus and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  15. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

Looks like Nintendo is going to make all repairs for Joy-Cons free. And if you sent them for repairs before, they will refund your money.

I'll wait and see when this become official to send my two defective ones.

16. Genos

Genos Sigh...Summertime

Looks like Nintendo is aware of the lawsuit.

wolf jani likes this.
  17. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

I hope you're right. I really do. Because if it turns out that those problems start happening on the Lite, then that's going to be a serious strike against Nintendo's reputation and potentially open up the path to more lawsuits, since they would then essentially have console malfunctions on their hands in that case.

As far as I'm aware, it's only happening with the joycons. The Pro controllers don't seem to be affected by this (so Smash fans, do not fear). The problem is that not only are there games that REQUIRE the use of joycons, but those are also the most expensive Nintendo controllers on the market, often running about $70 to $80 for brand new ones (and with the drifting issue, I doubt anyone in their right mind is going to buy them used).

It's kind of hard for them NOT to be aware of the lawsuit, since they're the ones being sued. But the fact that they haven't really responded directly to the drifting issue outside of a memo regarding fixing joycons for free (which may not even cure the problem) is troubling.

I always take any kind of 'leaks' with a grain of salt until the company releases an official statement on the issue, especially when it comes to fixing a flaw. Sure, they probably do fix the joycons for free. But is this a permanent fix, or are the sticks going to drift again a few months later? These are the things consumers need to hear them address. And when companies don't address it, it tells consumers they don't have a long term solution for the problem (in other words, they don't know how to solve the issue).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  18. Ignition

Ignition Buttwitch needs more appreciation

Is this for all Joy Con repairs or just those suffering with drifting?

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  19. WishIhadaManafi5

I was wondering about that as well.

Ignition likes this.
  20. Pokemon Power

I don't know about you guys, but I could go for a new Nintendo Direct this month. I'm still hoping for a Switch port of Super Mario 3D World.

AgentKallus likes this.