• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Same here. I'm sick of them.
Yea it wouldn't be good for anyone who wouldn't be able to move up either. It's just not practical or realistic, especially in this environment.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Yea it wouldn't be good for anyone who wouldn't be able to move up either. It's just not practical or realistic, especially in this environment.
I would say that the OLED version is technically a Switch Pro. Usually a Pro is a scaled down console and the Lite already fits that category.
and there is a LOT of controller with a pro classification.

Pokemon Power

OK, now I'm very excited!! Not only does this mean I can have more space on my old Wii Menu, but that also means they could potentially put the original Super Smash Bros. on there too!!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I would say that the OLED version is technically a Switch Pro. Usually a Pro is a scaled down console and the Lite already fits that category.
and there is a LOT of controller with a pro classification.

Um what? No, Pro variants are usually scaled up, not scaled down. They're variants that have higher specs for better performance. There's nothing like that for the Switch yet, and that's what everyone who wants new hardware is waiting on (whether it comes in the form of a Switch Pro or a full successor).

I sincerely doubt that we will get a new generation of Nintendo consoles because we still have Splatoon 3, and that needs a little bit of longevity.

We could get another intermediate console, but I wouldn't give your hopes up.

Ehh, we're kind of getting mixed signals as far as how long this generation is going to last. On one hand, yes, there's big games like Splatoon 3 and BotW2 being released which you think they wouldn't do if new hardware was imminent. On the other hand, they're prolonging Mario Kart 9 (or 10, or whatever they're calling the next, mainline Mario Kart on console) until at least 2024 when the release patterns indicate they should've had one around 2020, and we should be seeing Mario Odyssey 2 by about now as well. The truth is probably somewhere in between, it won't be replaced immediately, but at the same time I think things are winding down and we're close to the end.

Also the "we're halfway through the life cycle" comment was made in 2020, and if they released a new console in 2023/2024, that statement would fit. Plus hardware generations tend to last about 6-8 years on average, and hopefully the chip shortage will be over by then, so 2023/2024 seems about right for the Switch's successor. If Nintendo's truly learned from their last few hardware generations, they'd be foolish to keep the Switch on the market for 10+ years because they know their competitors' hardware will be so far ahead of them that they'll lose the third party support the Switch brought them back. They can't just rely on a low end chip from 2017 forever, even with the pandemic prolonging things with shortages. I don't think the Switch can survive another 3-5 years, the PS5, XSX, and PC will leave it in the dust by that point. They have to have something ready in the next few years.

I think there's a fair shot of another revision this year, but probably something relatively insignificant and disappointing like a Switch OLED Lite or something. The main event is probably more in a year or two.

Pokemon Power

Well, I finally finished digitally purchasing all the 3DS games on my wishlist before the eShop for it closes. The only Wii U game on there, which I still need to get, is Wii Fit U.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
OK, now I'm very excited!! Not only does this mean I can have more space on my old Wii Menu, but that also means they could potentially put the original Super Smash Bros. on there too!!
This makes it very tempting to get the Online expansion... though it'd be hard convincing myself it's worth it.
I wouldn't hesitate if it meant having it permanently. I loved Puzzle Quest as a kid, spent countless hours playing it and I was bummed when it got lost

Wish it was more like Gamepass where you could play it with a subscription, but nothing's stopping you from outright buying the game. That way if you're like me and just want to play one or two games, there's no harm done!

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
This makes it very tempting to get the Online expansion... though it'd be hard convincing myself it's worth it.
I wouldn't hesitate if it meant having it permanently. I loved Puzzle Quest as a kid, spent countless hours playing it and I was bummed when it got lost

Wish it was more like Gamepass where you could play it with a subscription, but nothing's stopping you from outright buying the game. That way if you're like me and just want to play one or two games, there's no harm done!

Same. Since not everyone can afford moving up to the expansion or want to.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Hopefully that will be announced soon.

GBA? I doubt it, given Nintendo's pace. GB and maaaaybe GBC support will probably be announced soon, but not GBA, that'll probably take a few years.

And frankly, I don't even think that will be enough. The expansion pass really needs GC to really be worth it to me. And we're lightyears away from that. Seems like Nintendo would rather remaster their GC games for $60 a pop than put them up on NSO. They're really arrogant when it comes to the value of their back catalogue.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
GBA? I doubt it, given Nintendo's pace. GB and maaaaybe GBC support will probably be announced soon, but not GBA, that'll probably take a few years.

And frankly, I don't even think that will be enough. The expansion pass really needs GC to really be worth it to me. And we're lightyears away from that. Seems like Nintendo would rather remaster their GC games for $60 a pop than put them up on NSO. They're really arrogant when it comes to the value of their back catalogue.
Well there was supposedly a leak seemingly confirming that GBA support is coming soon so I would assume GBA support is coming sooner than expected.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I am honestly scared for whatever Nintendo is planning for a followup console or a pro version. But maybe not for the reasons you would expect.

There's a big downward trend I am currently seeing in quality as well as the quantity of the games for the Switch. And that's reminding me of the exact same situation as the late Wii cycle in 2010-2012 when Nintendo released a lot of half hearted stuff to the console and then boom, the Wii U came and flopped phenomally because they thought they could repeat the success by releasing a "powered up" console and people not understanding what the hell that thing is.The Switch already surpassed the Wii and I honestly fear they think the Switch is already done and then release the Super Switch or something like that.

And yes, when it comes to the games, the Switch lineup dissappointed me for the last two years. Sick of the Mario spin-offs (their quality also quite sucked), Pokemon games...yeah there's that, Zelda remake was meh, AC became quite out etc.

Like the only games of the last twelve months I liked was honestly just Metroid and Kirby. Former for sure is a question of preferences if you like these oldschool jump'run. Xenoblade is also on the horizon and of course Pokemon but looking at the rest of the lineup, there's only Splatoon left.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I am honestly scared for whatever Nintendo is planning for a followup console or a pro version. But maybe not for the reasons you would expect.

There's a big downward trend I am currently seeing in quality as well as the quantity of the games for the Switch. And that's reminding me of the exact same situation as the late Wii cycle in 2010-2012 when Nintendo released a lot of half hearted stuff to the console and then boom, the Wii U came and flopped phenomally because they thought they could repeat the success by releasing a "powered up" console and people not understanding what the hell that thing is.The Switch already surpassed the Wii and I honestly fear they think the Switch is already done and then release the Super Switch or something like that.

And yes, when it comes to the games, the Switch lineup dissappointed me for the last two years. Sick of the Mario spin-offs (their quality also quite sucked), Pokemon games...yeah there's that, Zelda remake was meh, AC became quite out etc.

Like the only games of the last twelve months I liked was honestly just Metroid and Kirby. Former for sure is a question of preferences if you like these oldschool jump'run. Xenoblade is also on the horizon and of course Pokemon but looking at the rest of the lineup, there's only Splatoon left.

I am concerned with Nintendo's lineup and I feel there hasn't been enough heavy hitters the last few years, but I think the drought is happening for two reasons:

1. The pandemic. The last year I felt was satisfactory was 2019, then when the pandemic hit the Switch's library started to look very Wii U-esque. They may still not have fully recovered from the pandemic and there may be some projects originally planned for 2020/2021 that took a hit.

2. They're likely saving titles for next gen (we can pretty much assume this is the case for Mario Kart given what's happening there, it's highly doubtful that the Mario Kart team has just been working on Tour, Home Circuit, and the 8D DLC for the last 5 years). Part of the reason behind the Switch's success is that there were so many high quality games in its first year. Having BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey (plus more, but those are the biggest successes) is an insane lineup that jump started the Switch out of the gate, and Nintendo may be trying to replicate that with next gen at the expense of the Switch's later years. To be fair, that would be a smart move, consoles tend to be more successful in their earlier years than their later years so they may actually be doing the right thing here.

Worth noting that behind the scenes Nintendo seems to be expanding their internal studios to get more games out:

If they can get some larger scale projects out more frequently to the point where they can have at least 1 IP that regularly sells about 5-10+ million (which will probably require experimenting with new IPs/spinoffs/gameplay styles because I don't think quite enough IPs have sold that much), then they should be fine in the long term.

As for the next gen Switch, they just need to make sure the system is decently powerful enough to keep getting decent third party support like the Switch and that they don't do anything so wacky that they have trouble explaining why gamers should want it. That was where the Wii U failed. History shows that they'll probably get arrogant about the Switch's success and it won't be as successful and I can see where they could potentially go wrong, but I'm not as sure the next gen Switch will follow the trend because I see fewer flaws in the Switch's design and Nintendo's long term place in the industry as I did with the Wii so I'm struggling to imagine how they could mess things up.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
They're really arrogant when it comes to the value of their back catalogue.
Are they really that arrogant if people pay them for remastered versions of the back catalogue?

Well there was supposedly a leak seemingly confirming that GBA support is coming soon so I would assume GBA support is coming sooner than expected.
I think there was a leak that NERD (Nintendo European R&D) has created a working GBA emulator for the Switch, and the leaked software was available on Reddit at one point. But I don’t know if anyone said it was coming soon…

PsychoLogical

As for the next gen Switch, they just need to make sure the system is decently powerful enough to keep getting decent third party support like the Switch and that they don't do anything so wacky that they have trouble explaining why gamers should want it. That was where the Wii U failed. History shows that they'll probably get arrogant about the Switch's success and it won't be as successful and I can see where they could potentially go wrong, but I'm not as sure the next gen Switch will follow the trend because I see fewer flaws in the Switch's design and Nintendo's long term place in the industry as I did with the Wii so I'm struggling to imagine how they could mess things up.
Frankly, the only real thing that could screw everything up is making "Switch Gen 2" no better than the original. That's really it.

Then again, "Switch Gen 2" is years away anyways so I'm just hypothesizing for nothing at the moment.

masdog

Frankly, the only real thing that could screw everything up is making "Switch Gen 2" no better than the original. That's really it.

Then again, "Switch Gen 2" is years away anyways so I'm just hypothesizing for nothing at the moment.
I’m not sure that its years away considering that it’s built on a 7 year old chip design and the chip shortage and supply chain issues may force them to revise/iterate the design.

PsychoLogical

I’m not sure that its years away considering that it’s built on a 7 year old chip design and the chip shortage and supply chain issues may force them to revise/iterate the design.
At the same time tho, the regular Switch can still realistically last a long while longer so at the current moment, there's really no need to rush even with the obvious chip shortage etc.

masdog

At the same time tho, the regular Switch can still realistically last a long while longer so at the current moment, there's really no need to rush even with the obvious chip shortage etc.
It can. But can Nintendo continue to produce it if NVIDIA stops or cuts back on producing the Tegra X1 that the Switch is based on?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Define "years away". Because I see the Switch 2 launch date getting pulled in two directions. The chip shortage would make a later release date wise, but at the same time the release of the PS5 and Xbox Series X puts an expiration date on the base Switch because the performance gap will be too large. If Nintendo sits around too long third parties are going to drop the Switch and develop exclusively for PS5/XBSX and the Switch will die out anyway, if Nintendo wants to keep momentum they're not going to want to wait more than about 2-3 years.