1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Phsy-Spark, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Akwakwak

Akwakwak I'm hungry

There's the Bayonetta anime film already and Witchblade too.

Plus a Bayo live action film would be horrible, it would not translate well.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. Genos

Genos Sword

Hopefully they are learning about HD as we speak.

3. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

So I've been assuming that the screen on the system be a touch screen, as touchscreens are the norm these days, but I just realized that that wouldn't work, because it would be impossible to utilize the touchscreen while playing on the TV. I guess that means we're losing both the second screen and touchscreens as far as handhelds are concerned.

Miis were still on the 3DS, and now even on our phones with Miitomo. They seem to have a life independent of the Wii brand, so I bet they're kept. Still upset the console isn't called the Swiitch

4. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

No you aren't.

5. Akwakwak

Akwakwak I'm hungry

Am I the only one that thinks playing this on the go or outdoors is a bit impractical, it's a bit on the bigger side.

I know most people will throw the tablet argument at me but as a handheld I don't know. On a roadtrip? sure, but while waiting in line somewhere or at the park, nope.

Plus you have all that stuff to keep track off and it could fall and break, get stolen etc..

I don't know maybe it's just me, it's not like I take my 3ds with me much places either because I just prefer playing it from the comfort of my home.

6. Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret Don't look here.

Namco Bandai is an official supporter. I'm so excited. A namco developed smash... hnnggngnngg or a port.

7. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

You do know Bamco developed Smash 4 right?

8. Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret Don't look here.

Not everything.

9. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

But a lot of it, making it odd to say "okay but I want a Smash game developed even MORE by Bandai-Namco."

10. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

This is really the first home console I just have to have since I was a kid. T he last was a Sega Genesis which I never got but I have a game collection for the PS3, Sonic Collection on the DS, and the plug in that was released last year. So I am set. But the Switch iss my newest must have!

11. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Laura Dale leaks on Switch.

If battery is going to suck that badly, it better take something standard like micro-USB. They wouldn't actually make the dock the only way to charge it, would they?

12. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

With the introductory video's focus on taking the Switch with you everywhere, you would think not, and that a separate AC adapter will be available to charge it on the go.

13. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Considering the NX uses game cards instead of CDs, it seems quite plausible to suggest the home and handheld consoles are becoming one.

The NX even has the same wireless functions as handheld systems, so it's quite possible Nintendo is doing away with the handheld series. Of course, if this is the case, this would mean Pokémon will be undergoing a HUGE transition. I don't know if I'm ready for it.

14. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

It's not as if all handheld systems MUST use cartridges and all consoles MUST use optical media. It's a function of the power and space needs required for an optic drive vs. a card-reading slot. They are linked, to be sure, but it does not bear on the distinction between handheld vs. console in and of itself.

It's also premature to try and divine whether such a change will take place, and the extent and nature of that change if it does. Especially with Generation VII not technically underway just yet and thus Generation VIII still years off.

15. Wind?

Wind? My name is Quiliver.

My biggest concern with the Switch is the use of game cards over CDs. I understand for a device that is portable, game cards are the smarter option, but will they work. Will third party companies be able to develop their games for the Switch as they would for say the PlayStation 4 without the use of CDs?

16. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the real difference? Both disks and cartridges are ways to store data. The same games can be put on either. Why would it matter?

17. Wind?

Wind? My name is Quiliver.

From what I understand, CDs hold more data than cartridges. Which, is why I am unsure how Nintendo can make them viable in today's market.

18. Auraninja

Auraninja Gre-nin-ja!

To add on to that.

The N64 has cartridges.

Many modern consoles had CDs, but the PSP had UMDs (Universal Media Discs).

19. Akwakwak

Akwakwak I'm hungry

They can always release games digitally.

(Hopefully Nintendo finally implements a proper account system)

Cartridges also mean less moving parts in the console because the lack of a disk drive and cartridges would allow faster/no installs.

The only problem would be price since proprietary carts (if Nintendo decides/decided to go that route) would be more expensive to produce. But we still don't know what Nintendo is going to do in this respect.

Not necessarily they are just (slightly) cheaper to mass produce.

20. Feline

Feline Why?

When I saw that cartridge slot, my first reaction was could this possibly be compatible with 3DS games? PM me your thoughts cause I don't go on serebii that much. :/