• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Navin

MALDREAD
No one can tell you whether we'll see a DS virtual console or not.

As for future Pokemon games, yes, they will be on the Switch. Unless it totally tanks hard or something.

It would be amazing if you could buy a game like Sun&Moom and use that same copy on both Switch and DS, though I doubt it.

Pokemon Power

Man, with all these confusing details, I'm not sure whether the first Generation 8 Pokemon games in a few years will be on the 3DS, the Switch, or an entirely new system.

KillerDraco

Man, with all these confusing details, I'm not sure whether the first Generation 8 Pokemon games in a few years will be on the 3DS, the Switch, or an entirely new system.

Gen 7 hasn't even been released yet. Dial it back a bit.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Backwards compatibility is impossible. Ignoring the obvious physical differences, the Switch uses a totally different processor than either the Wii U or 3DS, and emulating either system would be impossible.

That makes me wonder what will be the VC line. Technically, difference between Switch's Nvidia chip and 3DS's mobile chip(both are ARM, though 3DS is much older and different) are not as different as Wii U and Switch are, but still, even with software emulation we come to the trouble of lack of hardware power.

A new game is released two years after a console release, so if there isn't another hardware, they will be released to Switch.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
It would be amazing if you could buy a game like Sun&Moom and use that same copy on both Switch and DS, though I doubt it.

They would have to develop two (technically four) completely different games. Not happening.

That makes me wonder what will be the VC line. Technically, difference between Switch's Nvidia chip and 3DS's mobile chip(both are ARM, though 3DS is much older and different) are not as different as Wii U and Switch are, but still, even with software emulation we come to the trouble of lack of hardware power.

The Switch has more than enough power to emulate everything the Wii U can, and perhaps a bit more. It might take them a little while to develop the emulator, but afterwards there wont be any particular issues.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
I'm still on the fence about the NS. I've been a Ninty fan since I was young but my faith and interest in the Company has dwindled over the last couple of years.

- Ninty always seems to love to make Toy-looking consoles. Would love to see a serious -looking console somewhat similar to the Xbox Slim with the same serious power akin to it and the PS4. But they just don't want to...

- So i see they have some 3rd party companies on board, i didn't see Playtonics on that list (Formerly Rare). What a surprise...They refuse to learn from their mistake of selling Rare to Microsoft. Think how things would've been differently had the Company was still in swing today.

-No backwards compatibility. Maybe they'll be digital downloads similar to the Xbox combatibility but how would the system know our library of games if under a different format? Our NIntendo Network ID or something? And then would we have to shell out more money if we wanted to play Wii U games on the NS?

- I'm not holding my breath on the VC whether it has one or not. The last 2 Gens have been disappointing. Pretty much dropped Sega, and would like to see a Gamecube and 3DS VC. I saw how they were able to do DS VC with the different ways you can play the games on your TV or Gamepad so it should be no problem with this console especially if the NS Tablet was able to have a 3D effect or if people have 3D TVs in their home.

-Games wise we all know the first -party titles they'll be pumping out in the next couple of years but when it comes to the games we would like to see again being made (Sonic, Galaxy, Poke Stadium, A Better Mario Party, Tennis, Metroid, Paper Mario, F-Zero) Nothing but silence and being ignored. They do what they want

So i'll pretty much just wait and see what the next few months bring but not as enthusiastic as i used to be when it came to Nintendo.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So i see they have some 3rd party companies on board, i didn't see Playtonics on that list (Formerly Rare). What a surprise...They refuse to learn from their mistake of selling Rare to Microsoft. Think how things would've been differently had the Company was still in swing today.

Nintendo never owned rare, they owned a minority share in the company and were giving them money to make games, but they never owned them. Not to mention, that image is not an exhaustive list. It's just a list of some developers that have thus far said they will release something on the Switch, even some of the devs whose names are on the image may never release something. Time changes things.

No backwards compatibility. Maybe they'll be digital downloads similar to the Xbox combatibility but how would the system know our library of games if under a different format? Our NIntendo Network ID or something? And then would we have to shell out more money if we wanted to play Wii U games on the NS?

You can't fault Nintendo for backwards compatibility when their option would be the same as the competitors. You also have to rebuy 360 games for the Xbone if you can't prove you owned them. No sense hoping for backwards compatibility when it's such a technical challenge, though. Just keep your existing systems.

I'm not holding my breath on the VC whether it has one or not. The last 2 Gens have been disappointing. Pretty much dropped Sega, and would like to see a Gamecube and 3DS VC. I saw how they were able to do DS VC with the different ways you can play the games on your TV or Gamepad so it should be no problem with this console especially if the NS Tablet was able to have a 3D effect or if people have 3D TVs in their home.

The Switch wouldn't be powerful enough to emulate the GCN or the 3DS, not to mention the 3D that the 3DS uses is not compatible with the 3D that 3D TVs use.

Nothingjustgo.

So i see they have some 3rd party companies on board, i didn't see Playtonics on that list (Formerly Rare). What a surprise...They refuse to learn from their mistake of selling Rare to Microsoft. Think how things would've been differently had the Company was still in swing

To be fair yooka laylee is coming to the wii u

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
A Pokken sequel would also be good.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
The Switch has more than enough power to emulate everything the Wii U can, and perhaps a bit more. It might take them a little while to develop the emulator, but afterwards there wont be any particular issues.

I kind of doubt that considering radically different architecture(at least, I expect some heavier graphical issues similar to Ambassador titles), but sure, if you say so.

A Pokken sequel would also be good.

Sure, but I expect a port with the arcade roster first(and another downloadable Rumble title).

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
- So i see they have some 3rd party companies on board, i didn't see Playtonics on that list (Formerly Rare). What a surprise...They refuse to learn from their mistake of selling Rare to Microsoft. Think how things would've been differently had the Company was still in swing today.

-Games wise we all know the first -party titles they'll be pumping out in the next couple of years but when it comes to the games we would like to see again being made (Sonic, Galaxy, Poke Stadium, A Better Mario Party, Tennis, Metroid, Paper Mario, F-Zero) Nothing but silence and being ignored. They do what they want

Stadium doesn't really have much point anymore and I don't see much point in F-Zero either. In Stadium's case, it's just a supplementary battle sim for playing Pokemon games on the big screen with better graphics. With Pokemon adopting 3D graphics and now pretty much certain to launch on console, battle sims like Stadium have no purpose anymore. You can get everything you got out of them with the main games now. F-Zero is more of a personal opinion, but it doesn't really seem that differentiated from Mario Kart in terms of gameplay mechanics (but then the entire racing genre suffers from that) and even more so after Mario Kart 8 copied its antigravity mechanic. If they make another racing game, I'd rather it be something mechanically different from the same car and kart racers we've seen ad nauseum. Something like Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, or Sonic R, those don't have the same drive/boost/drift mechanics that every other racing game on Earth has.

Born Better

God of Lightning
Pretty sure GameFreak/TPC even flat out confirmed Stadium was dead due to the main series being 3D now. There's really no point to it anymore. The mini games were fun, but...how well did the pokepark games do?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Pretty sure GameFreak/TPC even flat out confirmed Stadium was dead due to the main series being 3D now. There's really no point to it anymore. The mini games were fun, but...how well did the pokepark games do?

I think the second one was more well received. That or it's the other way around.

I would like to see another Pokemon Spinoff on the Switch though. I have usually enjoyed most spinoffs so I wonder what kind they could put on this (probably PMD for one since Pokemon's inevitably going to be on this soon).

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I kind of doubt that considering radically different architecture(at least, I expect some heavier graphical issues similar to Ambassador titles), but sure, if you say so.

Architecture has nothing to do with performance, performance has to do with performance. The Switch is a technically more capable machine than the Wii U is, even if not by much.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I'm still on the fence about the NS. I've been a Ninty fan since I was young but my faith and interest in the Company has dwindled over the last couple of years.

- Ninty always seems to love to make Toy-looking consoles. Would love to see a serious -looking console somewhat similar to the Xbox Slim with the same serious power akin to it and the PS4. But they just don't want to...

-No backwards compatibility. Maybe they'll be digital downloads similar to the Xbox combatibility but how would the system know our library of games if under a different format? Our NIntendo Network ID or something? And then would we have to shell out more money if we wanted to play Wii U games on the NS?

- I'm not holding my breath on the VC whether it has one or not. The last 2 Gens have been disappointing. Pretty much dropped Sega, and would like to see a Gamecube and 3DS VC. I saw how they were able to do DS VC with the different ways you can play the games on your TV or Gamepad so it should be no problem with this console especially if the NS Tablet was able to have a 3D effect or if people have 3D TVs in their home.

So i'll pretty much just wait and see what the next few months bring but not as enthusiastic as i used to be when it came to Nintendo.

I'll address this whole thing.

First point: This may shock you, but video games ARE toys. Technically, this is what they are. This is what they are designed to be. They are made to be played with by kids and adults as a means of recreation, much like action figures or Legos or dolls that kids have tea parties with.

Second point: Officially, Nintendo doesn't really have any third parties on board, since both Bethesda and 2K Games have had reps comment that they don't officially have any software planned for the new system yet and thus far were only hired to help with the trailer, and what we saw in the trailer amounts to tech demos at most. Whether this remains the case going forward is not known yet, but that's where it stands right now. Not really reassuring in the third-party department, but it is what it is (I'm more than a little irritated at this though).

Third point: Honestly, I'd rather have a new gen console that has great exclusive titles and third party support with AAA games than a console that worries about backwards compatibility. I'm pretty sure 99 percent of people that want backwards compatibility already own the games they would play on it, and the systems the games originally came out on. I own many older systems, and it isn't hard to have a setup even in a smaller room like mine, where all the systems are more/less accessible at all times. Not to mention, you should be more mad at the fact that they showed two third-party games in the trailer that seemed to be confirmed, only for the companies to say they aren't confirmed.

Fourth point: Like backwards compatibility, VC should also be secondary on peoples' minds when it comes to the system. Again, the focus first and foremost should be exclusives and third party AAA games. After those are locked in, then we can worry about older VC games. But admittedly, it would be nice to see Mother 3 on it. But that's just a personal desire of mine and it doesn't have any bearing on what the system needs to have.

Final point: The only games we know of for sure are a new Mario game, and Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which better be a launch title, given how much Nintendo has been pushing it).

There's really no point to it anymore.

Not having to stare down at a screen and get whiplash while playing Pokémon is actually a pretty good selling point, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Final point: The only games we know of for sure are a new Mario game, and Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which better be a launch title, given how much Nintendo has been pushing it).

There's also some sort of Splatoon and Mario Kart games, although we don't know if they're sequels or ports of the Wii U games.

Not having to stare down at a screen and get whiplash while playing Pokémon is actually a pretty good selling point, if you ask me.

Not so much when we can just get main series games on Switch now. We get everything we got out of Stadium with the added benefit of it being an actual adventure game and not a battle sim that would be better off as $10 DLC.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Not so much when we can just get main series games on Switch now. We get everything we got out of Stadium with the added benefit of it being an actual adventure game and not a battle sim that would be better off as $10 DLC.

To be fair, we are most likely going to have to wait until Gen IIX to play the main series games on the Switch.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
F-Zero is more of a personal opinion, but it doesn't really seem that differentiated from Mario Kart in terms of gameplay mechanics (but then the entire racing genre suffers from that) and even more so after Mario Kart 8 copied its antigravity mechanic.
It has really nothing in common in terms of mechanics with Mario Kart. There are no items, with emphasis being on course terrain and segments, like rough terrain and heal panels.

If they make another racing game, I'd rather it be something mechanically different from the same car and kart racers we've seen ad nauseum. Something like Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, or Sonic R, those don't have the same drive/boost/drift mechanics that every other racing game on Earth has.
What made F-Zero GX unique is that the boost and health gauge are the same bar. You have to boost repeatedly after the second lap (where you get BOOST POWER!). After that, you have to use your boosts right, all while trying to avoid damage hazards and falling (no Lakitus). Additionally, you can knock out other racers, which is actually encouraged since it gives you more health and boost.

Also, F-Zero GX was the hardest game I ever played. I got to unlock the 11 new racers (grouping three co-drivers as 1). I unlocked all of the outlandish racer videos, and I didn't unlock the AX cup.

With the Switch, what we see is probably the only thing we can probably judge. We can look at leaks with some merits, esp. Emily Rogers and crew.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It has really nothing in common in terms of mechanics with Mario Kart. There are no items, with emphasis being on course terrain and segments, like rough terrain and heal panels.

What made F-Zero GX unique is that the boost and health gauge are the same bar. You have to boost repeatedly after the second lap (where you get BOOST POWER!). After that, you have to use your boosts right, all while trying to avoid damage hazards and falling (no Lakitus). Additionally, you can knock out other racers, which is actually encouraged since it gives you more health and boost.

Also, F-Zero GX was the hardest game I ever played. I got to unlock the 11 new racers (grouping three co-drivers as 1). I unlocked all of the outlandish racer videos, and I didn't unlock the AX cup.

Still doesn't seem like a major difference. You're still more or less racing the same way as any other car or kart racer because they all handle fairly similarly, the energy system strikes me as a fairly subtle difference. Hence why I was suggesting something like Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, or Sonic R, those styles of racing games are very different from the generic car/kart racers that dominate the genre nowadays. The car and kart racers are pretty much just regular driving. The IPs I mentioned all have completely different styles, Wave Race is on rails and you focus on moving side to side, 1080 Snowboarding is more about jumping and tricking, and Sonic R is a footracing game that has a bit of light platforming. The racing genre could use more variety like that as opposed to just Generic Arcade Car Racer But in the Future.