• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
...I'm not so sure that this is so-called traditional hardware myself, actually.

Iwata said:
As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename “NX.” It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year.

Also, until now, when we said, “platform,” it meant a specific video game platform. Now that we are going to release games on smart devices and make use of globally widespread PCs and smart devices for our new membership service, we would like to offer more consumers with software that is suited to their tastes. In other words, we are challenging ourselves to redefine what “Nintendo platforms” mean.

While it very well could be a bona fide successor for the Wii U or 3DS (2016 would be appropriate for such an announcement), this image of it coexisting with Wii U and 3DS, and the fact that Iwata follows the announcement with a clarification of "platform," suggests that they might be developing it as a third pillar of sorts, at least initially.

I'm more interested in what their DeNA partnership means, particularly in relation to the NX.

Arsène

If the GBA/DS/GCN in 2004 was any indication, there is no "third pillar" here - this is their quiet way of killing off the Wii U with PR speak.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Curses, Phsy-Spark, for stealing my thread creation plan!

Maybe it's a strange console/handheld hybrid? The Wii U is sort of like that, but this one could be fully portable and fully console.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Maybe it's a strange console/handheld hybrid? The Wii U is sort of like that, but this one could be fully portable and fully console.

I was also thinking hybrid console with this announcement. It makes sense, the gap between handheld and console is narrowing, the Wii U already essentially has a handheld as a controller, the only thing they need to do is program a Gamepad like device to serve as either a solitary handheld or a console controller. Also they're working on a unified account system that can allow them to share the same software.

Arsène

A hybrid sounds way too costly and unnecessary.

The last thing Nintendo needs is to drive up cost of entry into their ecosystem, which is almost exactly what such a proposed device would be.

Sub-$200 handheld + (ideally) $300 AMD/ARM based console + shared OS/account system with cross-buy for VC/Eshop content + remote play with the handheld to stream your console content anywhere = sensible solution without clunky "hybrid" experimentation at a larger markup.

R_N

...I'm not so sure that this is so-called traditional hardware myself, actually.

While it very well could be a bona fide successor for the Wii U or 3DS (2016 would be appropriate for such an announcement), this image of it coexisting with Wii U and 3DS, and the fact that Iwata follows the announcement with a clarification of "platform," suggests that they might be developing it as a third pillar of sorts, at least initially.

I'm more interested in what their DeNA partnership means, particularly in relation to the NX.
I think the wording is just a way to show that they aren't completely throwing the wii u & 3ds under the bus just yet. Probably important to mention it like that so you dont anger the loyal minority who bought the wii u and junk.

I hope this doesnt use those supposed sharp screen displays and their donut shape.
I cant see that being anything other than a disaster

Zachmac

Somehow, seeing it mentioned alongside the announcement of DeNA makes me have the feeling this will be able to play mobile games.
But we have so little information I have no idea what to think.

Edit:...And I suppose there's nothing stopping them from porting those games to the 3DS either, so there goes my idea.

Last edited:

R_N

Somehow, seeing it mentioned alongside the announcement of DeNA makes me have the feeling this will be able to play mobile games.
But we have so little information I have no idea what to think.

well iwata's mentioned bringing mobile games to the main systems, but its probably mainly mentioned to reassure that Nintendo isnt leaving dedicated gaming space behind and they still have their wii u & 3ds.

3 pillars, more like 6 pillars!!!

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

I was also thinking hybrid console with this announcement.

Past invocations of iOS and Android suggest that they're moving toward more variations on their hardware, not fewer, but with a common architecture between them; I'm thinking "NX" may be that architecture, or a complex of hardware tied to that architecture, as opposed to a singular machine.

I think the wording is just a way to show that they aren't completely throwing the wii u & 3ds under the bus just yet. Probably important to mention it like that so you dont anger the loyal minority who bought the wii u and junk.

If the GBA/DS/GCN in 2004 was any indication, there is no "third pillar" here - this is their quiet way of killing off the Wii U with PR speak.

I don't mean to imply that it won't eventually succeed their current systems - Nintendo hasn't used the phrase "third pillar", but I think that in terms of hardware "lineage," so to speak, "NX" may be considered separately from what they've done in the past, and would be a third pillar in that sense (not the sense of "oh crap Sony has PSP how do we justify killing GBA").

Torpoleon

This is certainly a surprise (that they'd randomly announce it now)!

I'm hopeful that NX wont release in 2016 and will instead see a release in Late 2017. Fortunately, 3DS & Wii U weren't released in the years they were initially shown (though things were better for Nintendo back then). Hopefully this is some sort of handheld-console hybrid.

I doubt they'll talk about it at E3 this year. They said they'll talk more about it in 2016, so I'm expecting a major blowout at E3 2016. Not expecting anything before then (especially this year. Wii U hasn't even gotten an original main Zelda game yet....).

Please God, just let this system have a decent name, some good marketing, be up to date with Microsoft & Sony's next offerings (which I imagine would only be released about a year or two after NX) and most importantly just let Nintendo be profitable.

R_N

This is certainly a surprise (that they'd randomly announce it now)!

I'm hopeful that NX wont release in 2016 and will instead see a release in Late 2017. Fortunately, 3DS & Wii U weren't released in the years they were initially shown (though things were better for Nintendo back then). Hopefully this is some sort of handheld-console hybrid.

I doubt they'll talk about it at E3 this year. They said they'll talk more about it in 2016, so I'm expecting a major blowout at E3 2016. Not expecting anything before then (especially this year. Wii U hasn't even gotten an original main Zelda game yet....).

Please God, just let this system have a decent name, some good marketing, be up to date with Microsoft & Sony's next offerings (which I imagine would only be released about a year or two after NX) and most importantly just let Nintendo be profitable.

this will probably never happen, ever
nintendo is all about being cheap by design

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Past invocations of iOS and Android suggest that they're moving toward more variations on their hardware, not fewer, but with a common architecture between them; I'm thinking "NX" may be that architecture, or a complex of hardware tied to that architecture, as opposed to a singular machine.

So you think it will be an entirely line of devices instead of just one? That's also a possibility.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
At least now Nintendo will probably have unified accounts. Late to the party by a million years, but they've finally achieved it! And all it took them was everyone in Japan having an iPhone.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I can't believe Nintendo buckled and is going to do mobile games. This is a sad day. It's bad enough having Pokemon themed Candy Crush on the 3DS, do we really need more idiotic games like that?

Anyways, I actually came up with the idea for a console/handheld crossover years ago. I remember joking that when the Wii U came out that the were copying it. If that's not what they're doing, I really don't know what they could do to improve upon the Wii U so soon, unless they have some other innovative idea that no one's thought of before.

BCVM22

This is a sad day. It's bad enough having Pokemon themed Candy Crush on the 3DS, do we really need more idiotic games like that?

Then don't play them...?

Anyways, I actually came up with the idea for a console/handheld crossover years ago. I remember joking that when the Wii U came out that the were copying it. If that's not what they're doing

"Copying" your idea? I think we can conclude that is probably not what they're doing.

I really don't know what they could do to improve upon the Wii U so soon, unless they have some other innovative idea that no one's thought of before.

It is fortunate, then, that they are not limited by our ideas or lack thereof.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Then don't play them...?

I don't plan to, I just feel like it's taking their attention away from more important products.

"Copying" your idea? I think we can conclude that is probably not what they're doing.

I said that I joked about it. I never meant it seriously. I was trying to convey the fact that I wanted a combination system to happen.

It is fortunate, then, that they are not limited by our ideas or lack thereof.

Yes, it is.

BCVM22

I don't plan to, I just feel like it's taking their attention away from more important products.

That's misinterpreting and overreacting a bit. Nothing about the announcement implied that attention would be taken away from "more important products". If anything, partnering with DeNA should tell you the very opposite. Nintendo provides the IPs and development materials and maybe a limited complement of staff, and DeNA - who already has all of the inroads and resources for mobile software you could need - does a lot of the rest. That's what makes it a partnership. It's silly to think this means they're going to take staff off of big projects like the new Zelda and retask them to work on mobile games.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That's misinterpreting and overreacting a bit. Nothing about the announcement implied that attention would be taken away from "more important products". If anything, partnering with DeNA should tell you the very opposite. Nintendo provides the IPs and development materials and maybe a limited complement of staff, and DeNA - who already has all of the inroads and resources for mobile software you could need - does a lot of the rest. That's what makes it a partnership. It's silly to think this means they're going to take staff off of big projects like the new Zelda and retask them to work on mobile games.

Yeah, you're right.

As I'm sure it's obvious, I'm just bias against mobile gaming. This is just my opinion, but I can't help but be offended by Nintendo diving into this stuff. Oh well, it's what the public wants.

-Raiga-

Yeah, you're right.

As I'm sure it's obvious, I'm just bias against mobile gaming. This is just my opinion, but I can't help but be offended by Nintendo diving into this stuff. Oh well, it's what the public wants.

Nah, I'm right there with you on this. Nintendo already has an issue with their main IP's being "used up" and a lack of new IP's being built(Xenoblade is the only truly successful new one that comes to mind). Even if it doesn't take a shred of development away from their main systems, further spreading out of their IP's like Mario and Zelda into forgettable mobile games is not going to help them at all. If anything, casual fans will buy the mobile game instead of a console/handheld, and get bored of it. Which leaves Nintendo in a worse place than they are now.

But, that's all assuming this plan is a cut and dry "make generic mobile games" agreement, and considering it's Nintendo, I'd like to think they have more up their sleeve for this. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled about the news, but I am intrigued.