• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Torpoleon

this will probably never happen, ever
nintendo is all about being cheap by design
At least close to their offerings so Nintendo could hopefully get better third party support than Wii U (not like that's saying much).

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Bguy7 said:
As I'm sure it's obvious, I'm just bias against mobile gaming.

I don't blame you. Although it's probably just tastes (the stuff I like are, obviously, stuff on Ninetendo consoles) for me, not a lot of the games in the mobile industry don't have a multiplayer or internet-needed part. But most people who own phones are people who usually just pass the time with games, so games like Cut the Rope do just that. But this is probably not the place to talk about that.

As for the announcement itself, can't really say much. I'm still like, so outdated in my tech that I can't really care about anything new 'cause there are high chances that by the time I get it, something else that's new is going to appear. So yeah, I'm mostly indifferent. But if they happen to go into the mobile market, at least they'll get a wider audience. In the Philippines, you'll rarely see a person here owning a 3DS.

Zachmac

Nintendo already has an issue with their main IP's being "used up" and a lack of new IP's being built(Xenoblade is the only truly successful new one that comes to mind).
F-Zero and Metroid fans would disagree.

That said, I have a feeling that mobile games would be mostly Mario ones, which still wouldn't help the situation.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I was thinking about replacing my computer and dumb phone...

It's too little to say what I think about it. It's good that there is a plan for the future, but I can really make anything off the plan.

I will, however, share enthusiasm for what this NX is. My Revolution and Cafe could use a buddy.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
>Zachmac

Definitely.

But seriously, Mario in mobile would just lessen his status more. I'll admit I haven't played that many Mario games (which is a bit ironic I guess), but from what I can tell, Mario already had lots and lots and lots of games...as well as plenty of spin-offs. So it'd look like a meek attempt at going into the mobile market.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
But seriously, Mario in mobile would just lessen his status more. I'll admit I haven't played that many Mario games (which is a bit ironic I guess), but from what I can tell, Mario already had lots and lots and lots of games...as well as plenty of spin-offs. So it'd look like a meek attempt at going into the mobile market.
The thing is, I doubt Mario would have a full blown game on the smartphones. Think of Sonic Runners and Rockman XOver.

At "best", I think they could port over older titles that people cheat the system to play on smartphones anyway.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Oh yeah. The oddity that is Rockman XOver. Yeah, which will make it look even worse, in my opinion. But then again, who'd have thought a gane involving Abraham Lincoln fighting aliens would be nice.

... Guilty as charged. I pretty much do that.

Zachmac

The thing is, I doubt Mario would have a full blown game on the smartphones. Think of Sonic Runners and Rockman XOver.

At "best", I think they could port over older titles that people cheat the system to play on smartphones anyway.
Mario is pretty flexible. Look at all the successful spin offs he's had so far.

I'm not worried about them getting Mario to work. I'm sure they will.
I'm worried about them using other IPs aside from Mario.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Mario is pretty flexible. Look at all the successful spin offs he's had so far.

I'm not worried about them getting Mario to work. I'm sure they will.
I'm worried about them using other IPs aside from Mario.
The thing is, smartphone games have a tendency to be geared in a way to be "minimalistic". I'm not saying smartphone games are bad or unimaginative, but a little bit goes a long way.

Basically, the smart phone audience and the way smart phone games are currently marketed is how they are geared.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't blame you. Although it's probably just tastes (the stuff I like are, obviously, stuff on Ninetendo consoles) for me, not a lot of the games in the mobile industry don't have a multiplayer or internet-needed part. But most people who own phones are people who usually just pass the time with games, so games like Cut the Rope do just that. But this is probably not the place to talk about that.

As for the announcement itself, can't really say much. I'm still like, so outdated in my tech that I can't really care about anything new 'cause there are high chances that by the time I get it, something else that's new is going to appear. So yeah, I'm mostly indifferent. But if they happen to go into the mobile market, at least they'll get a wider audience. In the Philippines, you'll rarely see a person here owning a 3DS.

My biggest problem with mobile games is the way they try to make you pay for everything, and the fact that is never much work really put into them. It's a pet peeve of mine that I don't like it when people call them video games. I know that by definition they are, but in actuality they are so different. Funny that you mention online and multi-player as lacking, because one of the few mobile games I've tried playing (some random Star Wars game) I quit because it forced multi-player on you and could only be played when connected to the internet.

If you ask me, I'm expecting to see some Mario theme game where he's always running forward and you tap him to jump, those seem to be pretty stereotypical. Maybe we'll get some puzzle game where we match Zelda items. They might even bring Pokemon Shuffle over, since it already fits the formula. No matter what happens, I'll probably try them out (assuming they're free to play), and quit within a week. I'd much rather see Virtual Console games placed on phones instead. I would pay money for those and enjoy them.

BCVM22

If anything, casual fans will buy the mobile game instead of a console/handheld, and get bored of it. Which leaves Nintendo in a worse place than they are now.

What? No. No one save for some bizarro hypothetical cross-section person would buy a Zelda-themed mobile game and skip the upcoming Wii U title on that sole basis. There's little if any overlap there.

He's been in platformers, racers, RPGs, multiple puzzle games, party games, fighting games, no fewer than three different sports games and an entirely separate series of Olympic games... but it's potentially appearing in mobile games that's going to spread the character/franchise too thin?

My biggest problem with mobile games is the way they try to make you pay for everything, and the fact that is never much work really put into them.

You could level this same complaint about console games that release half their content as aftermarket paid DLC. It's a generalization, and not a particularly well-founded one at that.

It's a pet peeve of mine that I don't like it when people call them video games. I know that by definition they are, but in actuality they are so different.

And I think you would agree that if Nintendo feels they can successfully partner with a giant of the field and generate visibility and revenue from using their IPs in mobile gaming without compromising their core business - and every indication is that they'll have no issue doing this - then not doing so on the basis of someone's pet peeve would be foolish, yes?

Zachmac

The thing is, smartphone games have a tendency to be geared in a way to be "minimalistic". I'm not saying smartphone games are bad or unimaginative, but a little bit goes a long way.
Mario, I'd argue, is at it's core pretty minimalistic as well.
His first game, Donkey Kong, his only moves were to move and jump.
In Mario Brothers, his only moves were to...move and jump.
Super Mario Brothers moved it a step forwards, giving him the abilities to move, run, jump, and shoot fire balls(wait, that used the same button running did).
If you ask me, I'm expecting to see some Mario theme game where he's always running forward and you tap him to jump, those seem to be pretty stereotypical. Maybe we'll get some puzzle game where we match Zelda items. They might even bring Pokemon Shuffle over, since it already fits the formula. No matter what happens, I'll probably try them out (assuming they're free to play), and quit within a week. I'd much rather see Virtual Console games placed on phones instead. I would pay money for those and enjoy them.
Well, I suppose that depends on what kind of company DeNA is.

I don't know much about that company, so I don't know how stereotypical that game company is. Research time, I guess.

....Too bad I don't have a smartphone myself.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Super Mario Brothers moved it a step forwards, giving him the abilities to move, run, jump, and shoot fire balls(wait, that used the same button running did).Well, I suppose that depends on what kind of company DeNA is.
Mario (1981-1985). What about a game where Mario travels the universe and goes to small hubs with their own themes?

Honestly, the smartphone games are probably a better deal than any of us are thinking. Three years ago, I wouldn't have thought Skylander like figures would be a good Nintendo move.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Super Mario Brothers moved it a step forwards, giving him the abilities to move, run, jump, and shoot fire balls(wait, that used the same button running did).Well, I suppose that depends on what kind of company DeNA is.

This. Mario is usually a pretty plain and simple series. The gameplay usually only consists of a couple of actions, the levels are usually straightforward, and the storylines are pretty minimalist. I can see it translating to mobile pretty well.

Speaking of gameplay, I'm wondering what they're going to do to change things up with the gameplay on the NX. I doubt that crossplay is going to be enough of an innovation to create new gameplay styles (plus, crossplay is nothing new anyway). Hopefully it's better than what Wii U had to offer.

woot21

super noob
So, odds of seeing older NES/GB games on mobile market places soon? Maybe the original Pokemon games, with a Bluetooth connectivy for trading?

woot21 out dawgs

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Any smartphone game Nintendo releases will always be bad because touch and motion control sucks.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Any smartphone game Nintendo releases will always be bad because touch and motion control sucks.

Warioware would be perfect on smartphone. Zelda can just copy and paste Infinity Blade's gameplay. Mario Endless runner. Still no Metroid or F-Zero though because those are unprofitable.

Xuxuba

I had the Wii U for a few months and the main reason why i didn't like it were:
- The lack of titles. I like popular series like Zelda and Mario Kart but i can't play only that. Of course it had some other titles but they weren't that good.
- The gamepad. The games didn't know how to use that controller, the thing was too huge, it distracts you from the other screen and it's battery was ridiculous. It was theorically optional, but you had to buy the other controllers and they were expensive af. The worst part is that some games didn't even allowed you to use the traditional controller and the wii mote.
- The Wii u shop store. There was no brazilian Wii u shop store and it was already hard to find the physical copies. Brazil is one of the largest game market for gods sake.

So if they fix things like that and focus on creating a better hardware then i will certainly buy it.

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
My biggest problem with mobile games is the way they try to make you pay for everything, and the fact that is never much work really put into them. It's a pet peeve of mine that I don't like it when people call them video games. I know that by definition they are, but in actuality they are so different. Funny that you mention online and multi-player as lacking, because one of the few mobile games I've tried playing (some random Star Wars game) I quit because it forced multi-player on you and could only be played when connected to the internet.

Those are free-to-play games in general, not just mobile games. It's just that the mobile market has a majority of them because well...apparently, the types of games on the phone just happen to be those that are easier to take advantage off. While console games, even though there are online stores and all, just happen to not allow microtransactions within games. I think partly because it, the consoles, are for games and aimed at kids? Probably just my lack of knowledge so feel free to correct me.

But the gameplay only available through internet is annoying for me, but seeing the other reason for people buying smartphones is for connecting with others, I guess that just leaked into the games (i.e. multiplayer).

BCVM22 said:
He's been in platformers, racers, RPGs, multiple puzzle games, party games, fighting games, no fewer than three different sports games and an entirely separate series of Olympic games... but it's potentially appearing in mobile games that's going to spread the character/franchise too thin?

I wasn't saying that, but yeah, you're right. Just my lack of knowledge on what games Mario was on made me sound stupid.

BCVM22 said:
And I think you would agree that if Nintendo feels they can successfully partner with a giant of the field and generate visibility and revenue from using their IPs in mobile gaming without compromising their core business - and every indication is that they'll have no issue doing this - then not doing so on the basis of someone's pet peeve would be foolish, yes?

These are pretty much my thoughts (minus the end bit about a pet peeve). If Nintendo does extend to the mobile market, they can make themselves more visible. Which will have a decent affect in here (the Philippines), I'm sure, because lots of people here get mobile smartphones for business (and internet social stuff, but that's another story).

BCVM22

So, odds of seeing older NES/GB games on mobile market places soon? Maybe the original Pokemon games, with a Bluetooth connectivy for trading?

Low, at least until we know more about the nature of the partnership. Probably not.

Hot take. Thanks for coming. Moving on.