• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Torpoleon

The same reason people buy both as is?
Different games, yes, but I just thought that now that they are unifying their handheld & console business that they'd make the games more similar this time around (I don't know how they could possibly keep up with 2 2D Marios, 2 3D Marios, 2 Mario Karts, 2 Smash Bros., etc.) across both systems while still keeping them all completely fresh and unique. Having one of each series increases the amount of resources they can use.

Arsène

But then what's the point in buying both the handheld & console if they have the same OS and such, but aren't a hybird of some sort?

The same reason Android/Windows covers a wide range of hardware ranging from smartphones to set top boxes.

Rather than having several different OS to manage across their products, Nintendo would significantly reduce the resources necessary to manage them across two of their product lines.

They don't have to share all of the same games, they just need to share the same level of presentation and usability. Cross-buy and cross-platform play are pretty much a given for lesser titles that both systems can handle just fine. That's good enough. No amount of sharing architecture is going to make something like a next-gen Zelda NX run on a doomed to be inferior handheld without massive downscaling required.

-------
Asking for a hybrid is pretty much just asking for the second coming of the Wii U, except even clunkier and probably in an even worse state of an identity crisis. All of the effort for the sake of "innovation" and "standing out"? Playing the hipster is exactly why they are in this current situation. They need to stick to what they do best, unique and exclusive software. You don't need to rely on hardware to separate yourself from others. This imaginary product is at best, decent in Japan and a massive flop everywhere else. People are voting with their wallets now and they voted for the "me too" consoles from Sony/MS sitting at a combined LTD of 30m~ units little over a year after launching.

tl;dr, Nintendo should stop trying to reinvent the (hardware) wheel.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Asking for a hybrid is pretty much just asking for the second coming of the Wii U, except even clunkier and probably in an even worse state of an identity crisis. All of the effort for the sake of "innovation" and "standing out"? Playing the hipster is exactly why they are in this current situation. They need to stick to what they do best, unique and exclusive software. You don't need to rely on hardware to separate yourself from others. This imaginary product is at best, decent in Japan and a massive flop everywhere else. People are voting with their wallets now and they voted for the "me too" consoles from Sony/MS sitting at a combined LTD of 30m~ units little over a year after launching.

tl;dr, Nintendo should stop trying to reinvent the (hardware) wheel.

The thing is though, Nintendo WANTS to be the hipster because they don't like making the same hardware with prettier graphics. And that's really the grand dilemma here is that the market as it is now doesn't really want Nintendo to begin with, because what they do best (innovative hardware and software) that isn't really valued in the current market.

Really though, a hybrid console isn't exactly an innovation considering that PS4 and Vita are pretty close to that point already. Really all of this amounts to playing catch up.

BCVM22

Wow, you lot have really streamlined the "failure" process for Nintendo - that didn't even take two days.

On to failing with the NXU23D Advance 64, I guess.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Wow, you lot have really streamlined the "failure" process for Nintendo - that didn't even take two days.

On to failing with the NXU23D Advance 64, I guess.

Well in theory it could be a short term success if they manage to attract a blue ocean market, but more than likely it'll end up like the casuals which promptly abandoned Nintendo when they realized mobile served their needs better. In terms of trying to push innovative "gimmicky" dedicated gaming hardware and creative, cartoony, family friendly software they've pretty much exhausted all of the demographics that would be interested in those things, if they want to have a sustainable userbase they're going to change one of the above.

BCVM22

Like I said, with nothing more than a system codename that was announced on the same day as the DeNa partnership - as in, isn't necessarily connected, just announced on the same day - the system has proactively been declared a failure.

Golf clap.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I can never understand what people's problems with the Wii U are.

They say it's too gimicky, I don't understand why. The Game Pad was a unique idea that set the Wii U apart from it's competitors. It works essentially like normal remote when you need it to, and has the extra screen that isn't that hard to use, at least once you get used to it.

They say it doesn't have high enough HD, I ask why does this matter? A game isn't about it's graphics, or no one would play handheld games. And is there really a difference between the Wii U's HD and other systems HD, because I have yet to see one.

They say it doesn't have a good enough library because of the lack of third party support and more "mature" games. This is Nintendo we're talking about, they're as big as they are because of the games they make, not because of the deals they strike with other companies. Nintendo's area of focus is kids and family, the E audience, not the M audience.

If you ask me, due to it's unique capabilities and exclusive games that can be gotten for no other system, the Wii U is the best console on the market.

Zachmac

I don't feel the Wii U is all that innovative. The Wii and DS were innovative because they were trying something entirely new, and they used their gimmicks extremely well, in my opinion.
But with the Wii U...they just took a typical controller and slapped a touch screen on it. The DS already did that when it was still new. But today, touch screens are nothing new or exciting. Handhelds have touch screens. Phones have touch screens. Some stores use touch screens to ask you "debit or credit". Now a console has a touch screen. It's a nice thing to have and all, but it's nothing revolutionary like the Wii was.

If they try to get gimmicky with their next console...it's probably in their best interest to make it an entirely new gimmick as opposed to using an older one.

Torpoleon

Can't blame them for giving the Wii U a touchscreen. They wanted to capitalize off the success of the DS & Wii. Unfortunately, a myriad of problems (that they hopefully won't repeat with NX) led to the situation Nintendo is in.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
They say it's too gimicky, I don't understand why. The Game Pad was a unique idea that set the Wii U apart from it's competitors. It works essentially like normal remote when you need it to, and has the extra screen that isn't that hard to use, at least once you get used to it.

They say it doesn't have high enough HD, I ask why does this matter? A game isn't about it's graphics, or no one would play handheld games. And is there really a difference between the Wii U's HD and other systems HD, because I have yet to see one.

They say it doesn't have a good enough library because of the lack of third party support and more "mature" games. This is Nintendo we're talking about, they're as big as they are because of the games they make, not because of the deals they strike with other companies. Nintendo's area of focus is kids and family, the E audience, not the M audience.

This is basically the Microsoft and Sony crowd and third parties talking. They prefer having normal controllers and high end tech to work with (despite the fact that it does pretty much nothing now). Unfortunately it's kind of a huge deal if they're not interested because there's ~100 million of them so they drive sales much more than Nintendo's audience. And Nintendo could use the third parties because their game output isn't really sustainable, we're barely getting one game a month from Nintendo.

If you ask me, due to it's unique capabilities and exclusive games that can be gotten for no other system, the Wii U is the best console on the market.

It's not really unique, it's mainly coasting off what Nintendo's done in past generations. The hardware doesn't really do much that the DS and Wii couldn't, and several of the most prominent games are more or less rehashes of previous entries and don't really do much with the Gamepad.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Bguy7;17644279 They say it doesn't have a good enough library because of the lack of third party support and more "mature" games. This is Nintendo we're talking about said:
And that's why the their games sales are at an all time low. The market changing. Either adapt, or get out.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
What has the Wii U done with the GamePad that's actually made games better and couldn't be done with a 3DS? Outside of the launch window tech demo-ey stuff, most of its major releases just dump whatever's on the TV to the GamePad (which kind of detracts from "hey guys we finally got HD as well" if you're just looking at a tiny 480p screen). I was disappointed when I couldn't even do local multiplayer with Bayonetta 2, streaming my nephew's screen to the GamePad; the thing just reeks of wasted potential.

If NX refers to a console, it's likely dead in the water if they try to double down on the whole "controllers with screens" schtick. Their handhelds can at least justify it by being clamshells with limited top screen real estate in the first place, but another console with the idea seems like a huge mistake.

The difference is that Sony and MS cover everything they put out and everything third parties put out, while Nintendo's basically going with just themselves and a smattering of Japanese third parties. The Nintendrones might be happy enough with that, but it's a difficult proposition for anyone else to have to deal with the excessive droughts and lack of variety that come with supporting a console entirely by yourself.

I'm reminded of the "Wii U’s Install Base and M-Rated Games" section of this article, and it makes me kinda sad, but you reap what you sow.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I can never understand what people's problems with the Wii U are.

The Gamepad is not a unique idea. It's basically a DS. You know, screen on top, bottom is the controller that has a touchpad. As for playing the game without needing the TV, the PS3 and PSP had offscreen remoteplay on a few games before the Wii U was even released.

It's not that it doesn't have "high enough HD", it's that the hardware is much weaker compared to the other two current gen consoles. Why does this matter? I think you can find out yourself why an A is a much more desirable grade than a B. Despite a weaker hardware, Wii U games still look very nice because of their cartoony look. If they were to create a game with a much more realistic look, then you'll definitely see a major difference.

But wouldn't you also like awesome third-party games like FFXV, KHIII, Batman Arkham Knight, MGSV, etc? Because the other consoles will have them, and only the Wii U will be missing out.

;If you ask me, due to it's unique capabilities and exclusive games that can be gotten for no other system, the Wii U is the best console on the market.
Same as above. For some people, the Wii U is the best because it has games that no other consoles also has. But on the flip side, the PS4/Xbone are better because they also have games that the Wii U doesn't have.

If you isolate the Wii U, it's much easier to see it as the perfect console. But compare it to its competitors, and it's easier to see the problems.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
BCVM22 said:
Like I said, with nothing more than a system codename that was announced on the same day as the DeNa partnership - as in, isn't necessarily connected, just announced on the same day - the system has proactively been declared a failure.

Golf clap.

Agreed. We barely know nothing and someone's already saying it'll be a failure? I think you can guess what I think.

Jb said:
And that's why the their games sales are at an all time low. The market changing. Either adapt, or get out.

True. The best I think they can do though, and still reach a rather large audience, is stuff like Metroid or Fire Emblem in tone. (Or Megaman Zero, but this isn't really the place to mention it) Personally though, I like it as I don't have to worry about my parents being worried for me. But then I'm reminded of something by this...

Void Ventus said:
But wouldn't you also like awesome third-party games like FFXV, KHIII, Batman Arkham Knight, MGSV, etc? Because the other consoles will have them, and only the Wii U will be missing out.

That would certainly be a dream come true, at least for KHIII. I'm not really interested in the others. But, ahem. Yes. If they happen to have any of these games, it wiuld certainly help since they're, I believe, highly anticipated games.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Adapting? You mean how Ninty has already pulled a Skylanders effect and how they are doing mobile distributions? It's admittedly not what you would ultimately hope for, but they have gone to territories that they didn't even consider before.

Yes, the third party support could be tons betters. Two things:

1. People already look at Playstation and Xbox brands for next gen.
2. Nintendo's hardware power does not entice other publishers.

As much as I think MGSV and KHIII would be great for Wii U, the best thing that third parites could do for Nintendo is to create unique games for unique hardware.

Yes, as great as it would be for Nintendo to get a piece of the action of next gen 3rd party titles, they would need to access their own strengths and not necessarily play on what others would do better.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Yes, the third party support could be tons betters. Two things:

1. People already look at Playstation and Xbox brands for next gen.
2. Nintendo's hardware power does not entice other publishers.

The second point is the cause of the first really.

As much as I think MGSV and KHIII would be great for Wii U, the best thing that third parites could do for Nintendo is to create unique games for unique hardware.

Yes, as great as it would be for Nintendo to get a piece of the action of next gen 3rd party titles, they would need to access their own strengths and not necessarily play on what others would do better.

3rd parties don't really want to go through the trouble of making different games for Wii U than everyone else, it's extra effort and money.

BCVM22

Beyond ridiculous. One hopes no one's actually dumb enough to bite at this early stage.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Savvao said:

... Really? Just... Seriously? Who would want to pre-order anything that they know nothing about...? -_-

Bolt the Cat said:
3rd parties don't really want to go through the trouble of making different games for Wii U than everyone else, it's extra effort and money.

Yup. A lot more money, and ports, even if it has gotten easier through the years, are still going to involve plenty of work.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Too many people to respond to everyone, but I'll just say that while I admit the Game Pad hasn't been implemented in the best way possible, I would still argue that it's unique due to the touch screen being attached to an actual console, instead of a handheld. (And as far as games go, I really only want to play Nintendo games anyways, but that's probably just me.)