• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Dang, looks like I have to get a Wii U and fast. Unless the NX has compatibility with the Wii U titles, I can wait.

Nah, you still have time. We wont get any new, and when I say new I mean major, info until next year.

I'm expecting a holiday 2018 release.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Nah, you still have time. We wont get any new, and when I say new I mean major, info until next year.

I'm expecting a holiday 2018 release.

Late 2016/ early 2017 is more likely. Nintendo has already lauched all of it's heavy hitters for this gen. Mario, Pikmin, Kart, Smash and so on. Zelda and Star Fox is on the way. That really only leaves Metroid and F-Zero. Assuming thouse are annouced by e3, and released at the end of the year, then that's all they got.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Late 2016/ early 2017 is more likely. Nintendo has already lauched all of it's heavy hitters for this gen. Mario, Pikmin, Kart, Smash and so on. Zelda and Star Fox is on the way. That really only leaves Metroid and F-Zero. Assuming thouse are annouced by e3, and released at the end of the year, then that's all they got.

Wii U also doesn't have Animal Crossing and a main series Kirby game, and I'm expecting those to be announced before we move on (Animal Crossing will probably be announced at E3 this year, Kirby's probably going to be end of the lifespan as usual, probably announced next year and released 2016/2017). Maybe Paper Mario for Wii U as well. There's definitely some titles that could fill out the next 2 years, but no longer.

Aegon

Besides, if you really hate the Gamepad, plenty of games will still let you use the Pro Controller instead.
I suppose I'll take this opportunity to ask about turning the GamePad off. There isn't the option to do so completely, is there? Dimming the display doesn't do much for the atrocious battery life. I just wish I could turn the console on using my Pro Controller without having to worry about the GamePad.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I suppose I'll take this opportunity to ask about turning the GamePad off. There isn't the option to do so completely, is there? Dimming the display doesn't do much for the atrocious battery life. I just wish I could turn the console on using my Pro Controller without having to worry about the GamePad.

I usually just put the GamePad on the charger since I turn the display off anyway.

Phsy-Spark

your wish is my strong recommendation

I love it how the manual says it will stay charged for six months and within 3 hours of it being on it needs charging.

Then again, the longer you have something plugged in while it's at 100%, the less time it will stay charged.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Yeah, maybe you're right maybe

**** nevermind.
Sometimes, people don't have the right perspective in what a company that's been around for literally over a hundred years is doing for the customer. Plus, the "fans" often get a narrow view of "my way or the highway". I'm not saying that anybody that is an enthusiast doesn't know what they're talking about, but it isn't on the brink of what the fans know and what Nintendo doesn't.

And Excitable Boy, thank you for pointing out my oversight on the mobile games.

Cute Real cute...

Phsy-Spark

your wish is my strong recommendation
No, it makes zero sense to offer preorders on a product that has no official name, no price, no release date for the next 18-24 months (at least) and literally exists to the public as nothing beyond a preliminary name right now. There's nothing at all logical about offering the preorders or partaking in them. There's no "then" here either, this is an actual retailer offering to take peoples' money on a product currently sitting under all those conditions.

It sorta does if they release a ton of information at E3. Heck, that's probably what they're going to do! There also might More than likely be a direct next week! IT MAKES SENSE IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

BCVM22

It sorta does if they release a ton of information at E3. Heck, that's probably what they're going to do! There also might More than likely be a direct next week! IT MAKES SENSE IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but none of these are relevant and/or sensible.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Okay, first of all, they said they're not showing off the NX until 2016, likely at E3 2016. That's 15 months away. Second, there's nothing saying we're getting a Direct next week, and they'd likely not discuss the NX in something as minor as a Direct. Usually new hardware is shown off at either at E3 or some other large gaming event (PAX, VGAs, etc.). Third, even if we were to find out about it next week there is absolutely no good reason to pre-order a console that we know nothing about. We don't know how good of a console it is or what features it has. We don't know what games are coming out for it. We don't know how much it costs. How can you possibly know if a product is good or not when these questions are still unanswered?

Vipsoccermaster

Okay, first of all, they said they're not showing off the NX until 2016, likely at E3 2016. That's 15 months away. Second, there's nothing saying we're getting a Direct next week, and they'd likely not discuss the NX in something as minor as a Direct. Usually new hardware is shown off at either at E3 or some other large gaming event (PAX, VGAs, etc.). Third, even if we were to find out about it next week there is absolutely no good reason to pre-order a console that we know nothing about. We don't know how good of a console it is or what features it has. We don't know what games are coming out for it. We don't know how much it costs. How can you possibly know if a product is good or not when these questions are still unanswered?
Exactly. The only reason the code-name was announced this early was to assure us that Nintendo is not dropping out of the console market.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
So will the NX be considered the first ninth generation console? Or will we starts seeing the trend often associated with smart phones of diminutive returns with the consoles? We have already seen this with the New 3ds/ New 3ds Xl. The consensus on the internet seems to be that the PS4/XBone did not offer a significant leap in visuals or graphical quality when compared to the leap between the PS4 to PS3 and Xbox to XB360.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So will the NX be considered the first ninth generation console? Or will we starts seeing the trend often associated with smart phones of diminutive returns with the consoles? We have already seen this with the New 3ds/ New 3ds Xl. The consensus on the internet seems to be that the PS4/XBone did not offer a significant leap in visuals or graphical quality when compared to the leap between the PS4 to PS3 and Xbox to XB360.

The people who are saying that have no idea what they're talking about. Both the PS4 and the XBone are huge upgrades versus what they replaced.

BCVM22

So will the NX be considered the first ninth generation console?

To whatever extent that matters.

We have already seen this with the New 3ds/ New 3ds Xl.

Not a great comparison, given that they are unabashedly simply improvements on existing hardware.

The consensus on the internet seems to be that the PS4/XBone did not offer a significant leap in visuals or graphical quality when compared to the leap between the PS4 to PS3 and Xbox to XB360.

Says who?

Regardless, it needs to be considered that even in a five-year span - a very long time in technology years - there's only so much you can do to make graphics look better. We're not going from a SNES to a Nintendo 64 anymore. We're not even going from a Nintendo 64 to a GameCube. If you set the hypothetical "perfect endgame" of video game graphics as being perfect realism, indistinguishable in realism from filmed footage, we're never going to get there. At best, we can keep taking that small distance between that realism and the very best of what a PS4 or a an Xbox One or a cutting edge gaming PC can put out and keep dividing it in half. We're never going to get "there", to that hypothetical endgame, but we can keep getting closer to it while never quite reaching it. There's a mathematical term for this - where you keep taking an infinitesimal distance and dividing it in half - but I forget what it's called because I was told there would be no math.

What hardware makers can do, and what they're honestly endeavoring to do from generation to generation now, is not to keep trying to make what's onscreen look more real, but to allow for more to be done at any one time. You do that by taking the five years' worth of progress in making processors and other such components faster, cheaper, smaller and in need of less energy consumption, progress that allows you to put higher-grade components in your hardware and/or more of those components, and that's the goal of new hardware every 4-6 years or so. The goal of the NX - or the PS5, or the Xbox... Two? I dunno, you get the idea - isn't to make their graphics hugely better and more realistic because again, there's only so much progress to be made there over the current iterations. Rather, the goal is to build a hardware that allows for more of those high-end graphics and other processes and computations to all take place at once, which constitutes significant graphic improvement in its own way.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Hard to say for sure until they fully reveal it, but if it's coming in 2016/2017 the time is right for a 9th gen launch, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

Says who?

Regardless, it needs to be considered that even in a five-year span - a very long time in technology years - there's only so much you can do to make graphics look better. We're not going from a SNES to a Nintendo 64 anymore. We're not even going from a Nintendo 64 to a GameCube. If you set the hypothetical "perfect endgame" of video game graphics as being perfect realism, indistinguishable in realism from filmed footage, we're never going to get there. At best, we can keep taking that small distance between that realism and the very best of what a PS4 or a an Xbox One or a cutting edge gaming PC can put out and keep dividing it in half. We're never going to get "there", to that hypothetical endgame, but we can keep getting closer to it while never quite reaching it. There's a mathematical term for this - where you keep taking an infinitesimal distance and dividing it in half - but I forget what it's called because I was told there would be no math.

What hardware makers can do, and what they're honestly endeavoring to do from generation to generation now, is not to keep trying to make what's onscreen look more real, but to allow for more to be done at any one time. You do that by taking the five years' worth of progress in making processors and other such components faster, cheaper, smaller and in need of less energy consumption, progress that allows you to put higher-grade components in your hardware and/or more of those components, and that's the goal of new hardware every 4-6 years or so. The goal of the NX - or the PS5, or the Xbox... Two? I dunno, you get the idea - isn't to make their graphics hugely better and more realistic because again, there's only so much progress to be made there over the current iterations. Rather, the goal is to build a hardware that allows for more of those high-end graphics and other processes and computations to all take place at once, which constitutes significant graphic improvement in its own way.

That's... not really much of an improvement. There's only so much you can do with that that doesn't boil down to pointless aesthetics and cinematography, we're far beyond the point where graphical improvements generate any changes gameplay wise. The diminishing returns you pointed out is a good case for the industry to stop emphasizing graphics IMO, there's other aspects of video games that can be pushed further with new technology, such as controls and connectivity.

BCVM22

That's precisely what I said: that we're to the point where there is only so much that can be done to "improve" graphics from generation to generation, and thus it makes more sense for hardware developers to focus more on what's inside the system and how improvements to that technological architecture, whether that's to allow for speedier and beefier processing, other enhancements that will improve the overall gameplay, or both.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
That's precisely what I said: that we're to the point where there is only so much that can be done to "improve" graphics from generation to generation, and thus it makes more sense for hardware developers to focus more on what's inside the system and how improvements to that technological architecture, whether that's to allow for speedier and beefier processing, other enhancements that will improve the overall gameplay, or both.

Except I don't think speedier processing allows for those kinds of significant improvements Zorocario is looking for either. The biggest avenue for innovation seems to be changing the way you interact with the game, such as enhancing the sense of realism with new control schemes that allow you to perform actions not possible with existing control schemes or creating new ways to interact with other games or players (but then I suppose interaction is a pretty broad category to begin with). Improving things like graphics, physics, and processing at this point probably isn't going to get you much at this point beyond adding more detail and polish, it's not something that's likely to shake up the industry.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Except I don't think speedier processing allows for those kinds of significant improvements Zorocario is looking for either. The biggest avenue for innovation seems to be changing the way you interact with the game, such as enhancing the sense of realism with new control schemes that allow you to perform actions not possible with existing control schemes or creating new ways to interact with other games or players (but then I suppose interaction is a pretty broad category to begin with). Improving things like graphics, physics, and processing at this point probably isn't going to get you much at this point beyond adding more detail and polish, it's not something that's likely to shake up the industry.

I'm not looking for vast graphical improvements. I'm happy with the Wii U as is, sure it could've had a little more oomph but other than that it's a good console. It's a shame the gamepad was never really utilized in new and innovative ways, well there were some exceptions. Interestingly enough Nintendo is always at the forefront of innovation but then they always get heavily criticized for being innovative.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Anyway, I think Nintendo's looking in the right place for innovation, if they can create an environment where different games play off each other that would definitely create new ways to play. The question is whether or not there's actually anything new here or if they're just playing catch up, as unified accounts and crossplay can already be done on PS4/Vita.

There is a lot that you can do with more processing power that isn't graphics related. You games can be much more complex in their execution.

Like?