• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
OH yes silly me. I forgot that Steam machines are currently outselling PS4s 5-1 every month.

I said "dedicated gaming hardware". And yes, someday discs will be gone, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, especially since not everyone can even have at least a measly 5Mbps+ download speed, me included.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Physical is the way it's always been done, so it's just still around. But if suddenly it wasn't an option any more, or was an incredibly limited option, it wouldn't really be that big a fuss, in the same way the transition was with PC gaming, and really PC software in general.

If they do go the digital only route, you'll probably still be able to go into a store and buy a card with a product code on it to redeem in whatever online store exists, just to help out those people that find online shopping utterly confusing for some reason.

PrincessKairiSkye

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Physical is the way it's always been done, so it's just still around. But if suddenly it wasn't an option any more, or was an incredibly limited option, it wouldn't really be that big a fuss, in the same way the transition was with PC gaming, and really PC software in general.

If they do go the digital only route, you'll probably still be able to go into a store and buy a card with a product code on it to redeem in whatever online store exists, just to help out those people that find online shopping utterly confusing for some reason.

Most of those people are old people +40 and isn't gaming more so people 30 and younger? (I thought I saw that online not long ago of course the numbers may have been false)

Arceusgamer14

Well according to Reggie. He said the NX is "More about content than specs and terraflops and horsepower."

Does this mean the NX will have the same power as the regular PS4 and Xbox One or does this mean it's not updating it's specs at all?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
My money's on it being comparable to the PS4/Xbone, with the downplay on specs due to being caught off-guard by Scorpio/Neo.

Obviously, they're updating the specs compared to the Wii U.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The good thing is they don't really need to make their games look too realistic because each one of their first-party franchises look very much different than the other, and they have ways to make them pretty anyway.

Not unlike a lot of the popular games in other consoles where everyone looks like they belong to the same universe.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
I think NX will be revealed in August or September which will give 6 months before it comes out. I don't really know what to expect other than it will be more powerful and they might show some games for it.

Vape-oreon

we get it u vape
Besides having it look really realistic and detailed, I hope it'll be successful by having new things to do for games, like amiibos. I don't really think Nintendo is really just doing it so games look better, because Nintendo games are still always fun, even without the 60fps quality.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Well according to Reggie. He said the NX is "More about content than specs and terraflops and horsepower."

Does this mean the NX will have the same power as the regular PS4 and Xbox One or does this mean it's not updating it's specs at all?

I remember him saying the same thing about the Wii U when it was introduced. So my guess is, probably on the level of the PS4/Xbox One, but not on the level of the Neo or Scorpio.

In other words, Nintendo's a generation behind in terms of specs... yet again... Otherwise there would've been no reason for Reggie to make a comment like that.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I remember him saying the same thing about the Wii U when it was introduced. So my guess is, probably on the level of the PS4/Xbox One, but not on the level of the Neo or Scorpio.

In other words, Nintendo's a generation behind in terms of specs... yet again... Otherwise there would've been no reason for Reggie to make a comment like that.
We haven't really seen the NX to completely make that type of judgement.

It may very well not be as powerful, but it would be wise to just take that statement at face value. With that, Reggie isn't wrong with what he said.

mega snorlax

There's no reason why the NX shouldn't be more powerfuk than the PS4 and XBONE, since they use tech dating back to as early as 2010. I don't see why Nintendo can't make the NX as powerful as the XBONE S (not the Scorpio). The Wii U is actually a fair amount more powerful than the PS36O, thanks to it's GPU (not so much the CPU), the Wii U ports alone proves this. I don't know what possessed them to not play with power, since the Gamecube was the last time they did so (and it only sold badly due to the lack of online features and DVD player despite being closer to the power of the XBOX thab the PS2), Nintendo has enough money to last them practically forever, but they should put their foot down and not be afraid.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
There's no reason why the NX shouldn't be more powerfuk than the PS4 and XBONE, since they use tech dating back to as early as 2010. I don't see why Nintendo can't make the NX as powerful as the XBONE S (not the Scorpio). The Wii U is actually a fair amount more powerful than the PS36O, thanks to it's GPU (not so much the CPU), the Wii U ports alone proves this. I don't know what possessed them to not play with power, since the Gamecube was the last time they did so (and it only sold badly due to the lack of online features and DVD player despite being closer to the power of the XBOX thab the PS2), Nintendo has enough money to last them practically forever, but they should put their foot down and not be afraid.

The Wii U is really not that much more powerful, more energy efficient for sure, but really doesn't offer a lot more power. They also do not have endless supplies of cash any more, the Wii U has failed them very badly, and the Wii proved that you don't need power to sell a system, right after the failure of the GameCube, which was the most powerful console of that generation. As a business person it's pretty clear to see which direction you should take.

While there's no telling what sort of hardware the NX might have, I doubt it's going to be on par with Microsoft and Sony's unreleased consoles, which is OK really since both consoles are only being released in order to handle 4K and VR, both of which are still considered bleeding edge and are pretty much irrelevant to Nintendo's core audience.

In other news, people afraid of the internet can stop panicking: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...xt-system-will-support-physical-retail-games/

Last edited:

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
I keep hearing that the NX will be a third pillar and won't replace Wii U. I highly doubt it. It's very likely to replace the Wii U. With the GBA and DS, it made sense that DS would be a third pillar because the GBA was still very popular while the Wii U is not. The GBA still had solid support for 2 more years after the DS came out while the Wii U seems like it will be dropped very soon after NX comes out.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I keep hearing that the NX will be a third pillar and won't replace Wii U. I highly doubt it. It's very likely to replace the Wii U. With the GBA and DS, it made sense that DS would be a third pillar because the GBA was still very popular while the Wii U is not. The GBA still had solid support for 2 more years after the DS came out while the Wii U seems like it will be dropped very soon after NX comes out.

Where are you even hearing that?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Where are you even hearing that?

This image is the source of that way of thinking:
885x.jpg

The fact that it shows the NX alongside the 3DS and Wii U hinted to some people that the NX would not replace the other two. Also, Nintendo has stated that they are not looking to replace the Wii U or 3DS, but how much faith you want to put into that statement is up to you.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous. The fact that we're getting Zelda U on the NX essentially confirms that it will be a home console that can play the same types of games the Wii U plays, and there's no way the NX isn't going to be an upgrade to the Wii U. And if the NX can play the same games the Wii U, but better, it's going to replace the Wii U.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
My interpretation is that when Kimishima says that the NX isn't a pure replacement for Wii U or 3DS, he's referring to functionality that those devices have that NX doesn't. Specifically, touch screens.

"In terms of NX, there's an idea that we're working on," said "Super Mario" and "Donkey Kong" creator Shigeru Miyamoto through a Japanese translator. "That's why we can't share anything at this point, and I don't want to comment on the other companies. If it was just a matter of following advancements in technology, things would be coming out a lot quicker."

Gimmickry!

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord