• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

R_N

Hey, guys. I just want to know whether or not you think a new Guitar Hero video game will come to Nintendo Switch?

Well every guitar hero since 3 has come to a nintendo system so, if there was a new one, then yes.

I didn't think they were still making those for any platforms

Guitar Hero Live, the one focused on microtransactions, came back out in 2015 on PS4, Xbox One and Wii U. I think it's been getting consistent updates?

Genos

The Indigo Disk

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Fire Emblem games have their trailers in January and are released in Q2, so Fire Emblem 2018 is very likely to be among those six.

Vipsoccermaster

Amazon has started taking down those extra placeholders.

Maybe they're related to that Nintendo Direct that EA spreadsheet leak was talking about for January?
It's quite possible. It's likely there will be a Direct in January, because we barely know anything that Nintendo has planned for the first half of 2018. What we do know are three Switch games from Nintendo being released in 2018: Fire Emblem, Kirby: Star Allies, and Yoshi.

Pokemon Power

It's quite possible. It's likely there will be a Direct in January, because we barely know anything that Nintendo has planned for the first half of 2018. What we do know are three Switch games from Nintendo being released in 2018: Fire Emblem, Kirby: Star Allies, and Yoshi.

Plus, if you count third-party games, Bayonetta 1 and 2 DX, Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 Plus, and Mega Man 11. And a few compilation games from Capcom.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Animal Crossing fingers crossed.

R_N

I'm guessing the direct will be fairly low-key so far as nintendo properties are concerned. Kirby (with an english trailer for the upcoming 3ds game that's already out in Europe/Japan), Yoshi are probably the onl givens. I'm not convinced Fire Emblem will actually be happening this year, but that's the only "surprise" I can see.
Animal Crossing will probably be their e3 game because nintendo hates me, specifically.
Smash Bros 4 DX will never happen because nintendo wants to murder me, specifically.

Rest of the would-be direct is probably assorted third party offerings and content updates for things like Splatoon 2

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
idk, I think they might pull some teasers for the heavy hitters with E3 following up more in-depth, demos etc

we still don't know what Retro Studios has been up to, same with Sakurai. couple of other teams that've been quiet

was Pikmin 4 announced yet? IIRC they've been squatting on that for a while

Vipsoccermaster

was Pikmin 4 announced yet? IIRC they've been squatting on that for a while
Yeah it's been announced, but I think it was quietly announced. Maybe most media outlets and websites have forgotten about it. Pikmin 4 just doesn't have a platform to release on yet. Likely for Switch, though. We just did get Hey! Pikmin for 3DS in July 2017.

R_N

Yeah it's been announced, but I think it was quietly announced. Maybe most media outlets and websites have forgotten about it. Pikmin 4 just doesn't have a platform to release on yet. Likely for Switch, though. We just did get Hey! Pikmin for 3DS in July 2017.

Saying it was announced is a bit much. It was mentioned off hand by Miyamoto in an interview, not formally announced.

Also I did forget about Prime 4, that could be here too.
But I don't see them really teasing announcements for more information at e3 when they can just sit on it for a few months and...announce them at e3...

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
But I don't see them really teasing announcements for more information at e3 when they can just sit on it for a few months and...announce them at e3...

depends on when the release is set for, but IIRC they've done that for the year's holiday game before - announce in January, playable at E3. there was also that Wii U Direct in January of '13, though that's... extenuating circumstances, I guess you'd call it

Nintendo likes focusing more on going indepth with gameplay and whatnot at E3s with announcements more spread across Directs, so it makes some sense for them

Last edited:

R_N

depends on when the release is set for, but IIRC they've done that for the year's holiday game before - announce in January, playable at E3. there was also that Wii U Direct in January of '13, though that's... extenuating circumstances, I guess you'd call it

Nintendo likes focusing more on going indepth with gameplay and whatnot at E3s with announcements more spread across Directs, so it makes some sense for them
So I was curious and I like directs, so I delved into the archives.
January 2013: Aka the direct where "oh god oh god we need to show something". You're right, they did tease things here, but there was clearly extreme circumstances involved. Yoshi was basically still in the tech demo phase. SMT x FE was basically a pitch video. Neither would be seen for another year and a half. Bayo 2 & W101 had already been announced. They did tease Mario 3D World, Smash 4, and Mario Kart for e3 announcement but...again...this was clearly unusual circumstances. Zelda was also teased, but I don't think we'd hear about BotW for real for another year. Xenoblade X was the end of direct usual tease for later on, though, again, 2014....
February 2014: A lot of things here would be shown at e3 (Smash, for example), but the major titles had all already been announced. Things like Splatoon or Mario Maker (well, that wasn't the "big game" that year to begin with...) weren't teased. I will admit I was skipping around the direct, so I might have missed a tease for Zelda
January 2015: No teases, though I believe, again, several of the announed or already announced titles shown here would go on to be shown. Also man that Fates trailer still holds up.
2016...did not have a January direct, or February direct. March Direct, though! Oh boy this one was rough "no really we have stuff!" No teases for stuff though...except BotW I think.
2017 had the Switch Presentation, which kind of needed to tease things for e3 (or in the case of FE:W, a follow up direct) since all these were either teases or first showings that needed more follow up. Didn't show off Kirby or Yoshi, however.

So...I still kind of stand that there won't be exceptional teases. They have enough first party stuff to show that they can fill in the gaps with 3rd party stuff and they don't have a bomb on their hands so they can safely leave in-early-development stuff by the wayside. Prime 4 will probably get a "stay tuned for more information at e3!" though.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Honestly, if we're getting a Direct this month, I'm not too sure I even care all that much about the titles that are announced. The few I want to see are either Square Enix titles that are still not even confirmed for the Switch (Bravely Third, FFXV Pocket Edition) or are probably decently far off in the first place, regardless of publisher (Pokemon, SSB4 Deluxe or SSB5, etc). The only game I could see coming up that I really care about is Octopath, and my main desire for that one is just a final title and firm date.

I'm far more concerned with hearing something about online services and a potential Netflix app. There are some particularly disheartening rumors that full online services aren't coming until late this year, and a year and a half after the console's launch is kind of a ridiculous wait. Specific lifestyle apps like Netflix, other streaming services, a simple web browser, and more are just things that need to happen for Nintendo to fairly market this as a family/social entertainment device. The library so far is great and I'm sure more great things will come; other content isn't up to par yet.

I'd love to see a very strong 2018 so that support for the next several years is solidified and we continue to get great games, so it would be nice if this alleged January Direct is top notch in more ways than just games. I think it would be best, in terms of marketing and image, to push this toward seeming like a quintessential entertainment system.

Last edited:

BCVM22

They aren’t really marketing it as a social/entertainment system, though. They’re marketing it as... what it is. A video game system that goes from handheld to console with a click. And it also happens to be the only system where you can play Nintendo’s stable of franchises.

None of the marketing says anything about using it for streaming media, and the Hulu app launched quietly and with minimal fanfare. The system really isn’t hurting for lack of Netflix and a web browser and it especially isn’t hurting for missing the latter.

Last edited:

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
They aren’t really marketing it as a social/entertainment system, though. They’re marketing it as... what it is. A video game system that goes from handheld to console with a click. And it also happens to be the only system where you can play Nintendo’s stable of franchises.

None of the marketing says anything about using it for streaming media, and the Hulu app launched quietly and with minimal fanfare. The system really isn’t hurting for lack of Netflix and a web browser and it especially isn’t hurting for missing the latter.

Ah yes, I suppose it is rather unreasonable of me to expect things from Nintendo's 2017 console... that have been present on every single major console for the past decade.

I can concede that marketing doesn't talk about streaming - because, well, you can't do it yet. It's not that the system is incapable or that it wouldn't be a good marketing angle; it's that you literally just can't do it. The only exception so far is Hulu, which is less than two months old on the Switch platform. I can also concede that the launch wasn't a huge, celebrated event... because it was Hulu, which has around a fourth as many subscribers and far less usage than the one I mentioned, Netflix. It was, though, discussed and praised, and mostly within a context of "well we all want Netflix instead but Hulu is here for those who care or can't wait."

I also agree that the system is not "hurting" for the lack of a web browser - that's merely a convenience feature that, again, has been present on almost every gaming system for a decade.

As far as the social and general entertainment aspects of the console, you really can't tell me that would be a bad idea when that kind of general appeal and social gaming is what made the Wii so popular in the first place. It's also really not fair to say that it's not at least part of how they're marketing it already, even if it's not the focus - why else would they have games like 1 2 Switch as a major launch title? Or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a game that is always a ridiculously popular social game in particular?

I don't know. I guess I just see significantly more potential in this console. More than just being "a video game system that goes from handheld to console with a click." More than just being a portable and home Zelda and Mario machine. Part of that is providing as diverse an array of content as every other console on the market, since the library and its central handheld-plus-home gimmick can only compete so far, especially when other consoles are cheaper and have the online things I've mentioned. Another part of that is providing a reasonable online experience, which hasn't happened, and which is in far more demand than the two smaller things I said I'd like to see.

Last edited: