• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Wow. Two of the N64 games I have always wanted to play are being released on NSO back to back. Now all I need is Pokémon Snap, Majora’s Mask, Banjo Tooie, Smash 64, and DK 64. I sort of wish Killer Instinct Gold could be on the service as well but that is pretty unlikely due to the series being part of Microsoft and Xbox and also the rating. I don’t mind the games being released at a slow pace as this way Nintendo won’t release the best games too soon like they did with the NES and SNES services.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Paper Mario isn't a one that I'm exicted about.. but Banjo that may be worth it next year.. But for some reason I'm sure I've got it on Xbox one via a give away but lack the console Xbox one or Xbox Series console to play it.

Don't know when I'll be able to play it, I could see my play time with BDSP reaching an natural stopping point in late January/Early February when some new game comes out.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Damn, I just realized half of the Switch's lifespan is almost over. Seems too soon, no?

I remember a Nintendo report stating the company intends for the console to have a lifespan of 10 years. We'll already reach five by my birthday next year.

Pokemon Power

Damn, I just realized half of the Switch's lifespan is almost over. Seems too soon, no?

I remember a Nintendo report stating the company intends for the console to have a lifespan of 10 years. We'll already reach five by my birthday next year.
I'm expecting another generation of Pokemon to come and go before the Switch's lifespan ends, in addition to the current one.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm expecting another generation of Pokemon to come and go before the Switch's lifespan ends, in addition to the current one.

Oh of course!

We'll be getting Gen 9 either next year or in 2023. I'm hoping the latter.

However, I think Nintendo might end up extending the Switch's lifespan. I don't think 10 years will be enough. It might end up getting 12-15. At the very least, we'll see a slightly upgraded variant of the Nintendo Switch, that while not an official next-gen console, will be treated as one.

Pokemon Power

Oh of course!

However, I think Nintendo might end up extending the Switch's lifespan. I don't think 10 years will be enough. It might end up getting 12-15. At the very least, we'll see a slightly upgraded variant of the Nintendo Switch, that while not an official next-gen console, will be treated as one.
Like the DSi and new 3DS, right?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Like the DSi and new 3DS, right?

Much more like the New 3DS.

While it wasn't a next-gen console, it was different enough to garner exclusive titles. To be honest - and I have said this many times since 2017 - console gaming won't get any better than the Switch. It is literally a portable home console. The only thing Nintendo need do is up the graphics (by a lot) and improve the joycon hardware. There is no going back from this, and I guarantee you, Sony and Microsoft are thinking of ways to follow up the Nintendo Switch right now!

We've reached the peak of console gaming. After that it's just VR.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Oh of course!

I mean, it's theoretically possible that a New 3DS situation could introduce stronger hardware that has exclusive titles, and I would like to see more of an Apple model where they gradually improve the hardware over time and phase out the older models so I can upgrade at my convenience. But I don't think Nintendo's ready to take that step yet. The Apple model would be very confusing for casual players trying to determine if their model can play the game they want, and Nintendo needs to come up with a clear way to communicate that for this model to work with consoles. That's most likely the reason why they've largely shied away from giving upgrades like the DSi and New 3DS exclusive games and primarily made them optional performance boosts for games that already existed on the base DS and 3DS models.

I think what Nintendo really means by the "10 years of Switch" comment is either (or could be some combination of):

1. The Switch brand will continue for 10 years, but not necessarily the Switch console generation. Similarly to how the Game Boy brand continued with the GBC and GBA, the DS brand continued with the 3DS, and the Wii brand continued with the Wii U
2. The Switch will stay on the market for 10 years, but the successor will be introduced during the last few years of that and there will be a cross-gen period of about 2-3 years similar to how the 3DS stuck around for the first few years of the Switch's lifespan or what Xbox and Playstation did with both the PS3/360 -> PS4/XBO transition and what they're now doing with the PS4/XBO -> PS5/XBSX transition.
3. They're giving a rough estimate with 10 years and it could go slightly under that with 8 or 9 years.

Whatever the case I do not see the Switch console generation lasting 10 years. No other console generation has because hardware doesn't stay that relevant for that long and segmenting it with upgrades confuses people and divides the player base which would ruin the whole point of choosing console over PC and mobile (which is to simplify your choice of hardware by having hardware out of the box that you know will run certain games). Until someone figures out an easy way to convey which models will run a certain game without tying it to a set console generation, set console generations will be here to stay, and that means Nintendo will be forced to start from square one some time before 2027 because there's no way in hell gamers will continue to tolerate the specs of the base 2017 Switch for that long.

Much more like the New 3DS.

While it wasn't a next-gen console, it was different enough to garner exclusive titles. To be honest - and I have said this many times since 2017 - console gaming won't get any better than the Switch. It is literally a portable home console. The only thing Nintendo need do is up the graphics (by a lot) and improve the joycon hardware. There is no going back from this, and I guarantee you, Sony and Microsoft are thinking of ways to follow up the Nintendo Switch right now!

We've reached the peak of console gaming. After that it's just VR.

I'm not quite convinced of this either. I see one crucial flaw in the Switch right now and I'm not even sure the technology is there to fix it yet, and that's that it's not the greatest at replicating dual screen gameplay like what we saw on the DS, 3DS, and Wii U. It comes close, but it's not quite there yet. And I think the best way to fix that would be with detachable screens that could communicate with each other wirelessly (that way you have the flexibility to either have a dual screen handheld or a Gamepad-esque setup with one screen docked and one screen attached to your controller), which could also have an added benefit of allowing two players to not only have their own Joycon, but their own screen as well. It probably won't work yet because the two screens would need to be able to communicate with each other without lag and without being ridiculously expensive, but if they could pull that off, that is exactly what I would like to see out of the Switch's successor. Otherwise we might have to wait a bit before we see the true peak of console gaming.

Nintendo might also come up with something we're not even expecting that could also enhance console gaming in some way beyond just graphics. Never underestimate Nintendo's ability to innovate and zag in ways that no one else thought possible when everyone else thinks they're going to zig.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

Happy 2022! So far, we know that Pokemon Legends is coming this month, and we're also getting Advance Wars 1+2 ReBoot Camp, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Splatoon 3 and the sequel to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at some point. Plus we're gonna get more N64 and Sega Genesis games through the unfortunately overpriced Expansion Pack. Anybody wanna take a guess at what other games might be revealed and released this year?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think Bayonetta 3 will be released either late summer or early fall and Metroid Prime 4 will be announced in June for a late year release in time for Christmas. I also think we’ll get a surprise Mario related game. What type of Mario game I’m thinking either a sports related spin off or a Mario and Luigi Partners in Time Remaster produced by a new company.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Switch has now outsold Wii. It should outsell PS1 in the coming weeks.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Out of the blue, new information for Kirby and the Forgotten Land, including the release date.
I love how the game looks but I’m pretty much broke from buying so many Switch games the past three months. I’ll probably just use the gift card my sister usually gives me for my birthday to buy the game in April.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Quite surprised the new Kirby game will be available relatively soon, with Legends: Arceus coming in about two weeks I have fair amount to look forward to in the first quarter of 2022.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

Just as a note, the demo doesn't run well on my Internet connection. There are so many skips in the game, that it's really hard to not be off-put by it. I'm not even bothered by things like 30 FPS, but this does bug me. Granted, I don't have the best online, but I have been able to run Splatoon 2 matches well enough, so it isn't like I have the worst Internet either. I really hope they consider releasing physical versions of some of these titles for Switch.