• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo's Next Hardware - SOURCE ALL NEWS/RUMORS

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Ah yes the whole “I don’t like this franchise so it doesn’t deserve stuff but I like this franchise so it deserves things!”

No, I don't think Metroid deserves a lot, but it deserves about as much as Fire Emblem does since they sell about the same.

Besides, in Three Houses’ defense, it inevitably cracking 4 million is actually huge for the genre it is in. FE isn’t on Mario or Kirby’s level but it still makes a lot of money! (never mind their mobile game is still going strong about six years later which is rare for a gacha)

"Huge for the genre it's in" doesn't really matter in terms of the business decision making Nintendo is going to be making here. They're going to be concerned with how much profit it's making, meaning they only care about raw sales and expenses.

And don’t worry about Metroid especially Dread giving a resurgence! Whereas

I'm not aside from the interminable delay thanks to Prime 4's restart, but Metroid has had some extremely lengthy game droughts that Fire Emblem's never had to suffer through despite them selling similar (in fact, pre-Awakening Metroid actually outsold Fire Emblem and was still neglected).

Star Fox: Wait you guys are getting games?

I can kind of see why Star Fox is getting neglected and can kind of not quite see it. It's sold okay, in about the same tier as Fire Emblem and Metroid, but they also haven't quite nailed down what they want to do with the formula and keep experimenting with things the fans don't like. Personally, I think Starlink is a good direction for Star Fox and I'd like for Nintendo to make their own Star Fox game like that. But then again, I'm not really much of a Star Fox fan and Starlink is the only game I played or want.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Speaking of DLC that's a lock for 2023, Splatoon 3 should also be getting an Octo Expansion-esque DLC this year. I basically skipped 3 because it felt like too much of a rehash of 2, but if the DLC includes something fresh and interesting, I might go for it. That's the game's last chance in my eyes.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
This was posted back in Wednesday, but I only saw it today, Switch has outsold PS4. PS4 itself has also now sold 117 million.

Next threshold is Game Boy's 118.67 million units sold (this figure includes Game Boy Color, mind you), which should be achieved in next two weeks. After that, the next thresholds, Nintendo DS(154.02 million), and PS2 (158.70 million), won't be achieved until next two years
Switch has now outsold Game Boy (combined sales number for regular GB and GBC). Next threshold, as mentioned above, will be 154.02 million, though that will take years.

This makes Switch the third best selling gaming console overall, and makes it simultaneously second best selling handheld after DS, and second best-selling home console after PS2.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Ah yes the whole “I don’t like this franchise so it doesn’t deserve stuff but I like this franchise so it deserves things!”

Besides, in Three Houses’ defense, it inevitably cracking 4 million is actually huge for the genre it is in. FE isn’t on Mario or Kirby’s level but it still makes a lot of money! (never mind their mobile game is still going strong about six years later which is rare for a gacha)

And don’t worry about Metroid especially Dread giving a resurgence! Whereas

Star Fox: Wait you guys are getting games?
A little late to the party, but FIre Emblem is an emerging series, that really took off sales-wise after Awakening.

Aside from all that, it's Intelligent Systems that really works on it anyway (KT to a lesser extent, but that was mostly for Three Houses/Hopes).

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
A little late to the party, but FIre Emblem is an emerging series, that really took off sales-wise after Awakening.

Yeah sure, it "took" off from selling F-Zero numbers to selling Metroid numbers. Big improvement. It saved Fire Emblem from flat out dying sure but those aren't exactly monster sales numbers that make it some sales behemoth justifying making a game every 1 or 2 years.

Aside from all that, it's Intelligent Systems that really works on it anyway (KT to a lesser extent, but that was mostly for Three Houses/Hopes).

You'd think if they have this much workforce to spare, they'd work on something that's you know, more universally appealing and profitable? They can make a game that sells higher than the likes of Fire Emblem. It's not worth it to them and not worth it to the other 98 million Switch owners that don't like tactical RPGs to work on 4 Fire Emblem games a console generation.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It's not completely inaccurate to say that Metroid and Fire Emblem have made similar sales, but the trends are completely different. Fire Emblem keeps making great sales with main series games not named Echoes (with their Warrior games making a respectable million units sold each), whereas Metroid has a occassionally great sale (Metroid 1, Metroid Prime 1, and Metroid Dread). It should be also noted that there are more Fire Emblem games than Metroid games, and the former took awhile to reach overseas.

Edit: We are getting our second main line FE on the Switch. The Warriors games are Koei Tecmo's work. There were 3 main titles on the 3ds (counting Fates as one). Besides that, you are underselling how valuable the franchise is.

Intelligent Systems works on three main properties: Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, and Wario Ware. I've mentioned the FE series already, but Origami King sold very well (despite how some people may feel about it), and Wario Ware has made some good selling games, and Wario Ware: GiT at least topped a million. It's not like they don't work on other franchises, but I don't know if Intelligent Systems really works outside their craft. Monolift Soft worked on some highly successful franchises, including Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon. It can't be understated how valuable their contributions are.

Pokemon Power

Anyone else getting that impatient need for a new announcement of some kind, now that it's 2023? We don't have a lot of new Switch content on the horizon. Sure, there's Fire Emblem Engage this month, followed by Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe in February. And we know Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is coming in May. Other than those however, we don't know much about what's coming. We don't know when they're releasing Pikmin 4, and we haven't heard much about the new release date for Advance Wars: 1+2 Re-Boot Camp since they delayed it last year in response to the Russian-Ukrainian war, and don't get me started on Metroid Prime 4.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It's not completely inaccurate to say that Metroid and Fire Emblem have made similar sales, but the trends are completely different. Fire Emblem keeps making great sales with main series games not named Echoes (with their Warrior games making a respectable million units sold each), whereas Metroid has a occassionally great sale (Metroid 1, Metroid Prime 1, and Metroid Dread). It should be also noted that there are more Fire Emblem games than Metroid games, and the former took awhile to reach overseas.

The higher selling Fire Emblem games release during ideal circumstances that allow them to sell whereas Metroid typically doesn't. Some of the more recent Fire Emblem games during its revival released on the 3DS and Switch early on in its lifespan when it had a healthy/growing install base. Metroid though? Typically releases on lower selling consoles or late in the lifespan when people are losing interest in the console (only real exception is Prime 3, but the Wii was a casual machine with several sales anomalies that don't match with how they sold on future generations). You point out how Echoes didn't sell well for Fire Emblem, but Echoes similarly released in 2017 when the Switch launched, so that's probably why. Samus Returns released around that time and sold similarly, so you have to wonder if Metroid got a new game on the 3DS in 2013-2015 like Fire Emblem did (in fact Fire Emblem got TWO in that timeframe), if it'd be similarly "successful" as Awakening and Fates. And we see Dread released 2 years after Three Houses and sold roughly similar, so that does imply Metroid might sell similar numbers if they released at similar times.

Edit: We are getting our second main line FE on the Switch. The Warriors games are Koei Tecmo's work. There were 3 main titles on the 3ds (counting Fates as one).

Spinoff by another company or not, it's still more than Metroid and other similar selling IPs are getting.

Besides that, you are underselling how valuable the franchise is.

I mean it's pretty clear cut. It sells 2-3 million. It's a far cry from the likes of Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Nintendo doesn't really know what to do with Metroid, but it's also a series where it's population is dis proportionally overseas compared to Japan.

Compare that to a studio that can put out a game every few years or so at minimum, along with a successful mobile game, and I understand why it's pushed more.

If it comes down to just handing the Metroid franchise off to other studios to make that's an option, but Nintendo also isn't big on that either.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So apparently some Nintendo fans are receiving emails from Nintendo encouraging them to replay Super Mario Odyssey and hints that "there may be even more out there to be discovered". I sadly have not received this email, but this is being discussed and shown by several Youtubers.

The timing is very interesting since Mario Odyssey is just over 5 years old. Potential sequel or late DLC incoming? There could be other reasons why they're doing this but it's weird that they would single out Mario Odyssey specifically if they weren't planning more content (as opposed to say, promoting other more recent Mario content such as 3D All Stars and 3D World + Bowser's Fury).

Pokemon Power

Now that we know GB, GBC and GBA games are on Switch Online, I think it's time to ask. Will they, or won't they add the mainline Pokemon games of the first three generations? And if they do, can we bring Pokemon caught in those titles over to Pokemon Home? Will they implement N64 Transfer Pak compatibility to compatible titles, so you can connect your data from the GB and GBC games with games like Mario Golf 64, Mario Tennis 64, and Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2?