• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo's Next Handheld System

Flareon1990

Pokemon Veteran
Out of curiosity, when do you think Nintendo will announce their 'next DS' or the next generation of handheld gaming? Will it be another iteration of the Nintendo DS? Or will it be a completely different system? They made 2 versions of the GBA, so will the DS and DS Lite be it?

I think the next handheld will be of the next-gen variety with PSP-like graphics, out in 2010, but I have no idea what it would look like, since Nintendo's innovation knows no bounds.

lucario 5795

Incredible Lucario
it probably is going to be like what you said way better graphics

:S I was kinda hopping for a interactive hologram

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Let's hope in a good 5-10 years. DS is perfectly fine now, so deal with it.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd like an improved version of the DS, it's good, but I'm sure it could be capable of so much more. And the graphics don't necessarily bother me o_O

I was thinking maybe a built in Web Browser, better than the current one you buy. Things like that.

roo

Well you have to look at the lifespans of the gameboy, gameboy advance and compare with how the ds will last. As far as I see it the DS is strong and proud outdoing the PSP by a whole lot. But Nintendo's new handheld will most likely incorporate the ds like functions since touch screen is great. Perhaps they will carry it out to a step even further.

Nintendo might incorporate their games to be like the ds cept with better graphics and more innovative gameplay style. Sort of like the wii...they might have it where you shake the new handheld and something might happen to that character, tilt to the left and somethin happens. With technology growing the possibilities are great...

~roo~

Kabuto

little punks!
I honestly want the DS to last longer. Because:

A. I don't want to spend more money

and

B. I still want some good DS games. We haven't even gotten a 2D Metroid yet :(

Flareon1990

Pokemon Veteran
But if anything, we're probably just going to get another DS with a graphical upgrade.

Hey, I'm in for that! I love the DS and its games, but am usually let down by the somewhat slightly better than average GBA graphics (I know I'm gonna get mauled by that statement, but only Metroid Prime Hunters, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, Super Mario 64, and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass have proven me wrong). The games mentioned above are the only real competition to the graphics on the PSP. A DS with great graphics would be incredible, but I think if we see better graphics it will be on the next-gen handheld.

A reminder that this is what and when you think this will happen, not if you want it to or not. Barring some unlikely nosedive by Nintendo, it's inevitable that a new handheld will be released in the future.

Rave

Banned
Still too early to announce a new handheld...

Alzi

Toon link
It will take awhile until the ds lite gets boring so i think in another 2-3 years. Anyways i heard they are starting to make a second version of the wii but they won't realise it to early since the wii only has been out for about 2 years.

Emblematic

Lurking...
Let's hope in a good 5-10 years. DS is perfectly fine now, so deal with it.

I will eat any of my own limbs of your choice if it takes 10 years before a new handheld is released.

I think about three years before any announcements or speculations.

Patches-Kun

Dawn Patrol
It should take three-two years to make an announcement, about five or so to actually release it.

But I'm perfectly satisfied with the DS as it is right now.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
I heard it will have, like, a billion screens, and this time it touches you. Like, totally innovative sensory overload.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
They made 2 versions of the GBA, so will the DS and DS Lite be it?

3 including the micro.

I know I'm gonna get mauled by that statement, but only Metroid Prime Hunters, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, Super Mario 64, and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass have proven me wrong.

And also Final Fantasy III and IV. Especially IV.

I think there will be another 3rd version of the DS, and then they will announce the next one with GC graphics, that's just going by patterns though.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
I will eat any of my own limbs of your choice if it takes 10 years before a new handheld is released.

I think about three years before any announcements or speculations.

I said 5-10 meaning 5 years at least before it actually hits stores, and 10 since that was about the time between the Gameboy's and Gameboy Color's releases(9 and 1/2 years, to be exact).

Last edited:

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
i bet they are already busy with the designs at nintendo, i'd like to see something water and shockproof this time for the traveling gamer.

of course some quality improvements are welcome too.