• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo's On the Move With Fighting Piracy

Surfing_Pikachu

How else am I going to play FE 6?
Eh, I would have to agree with you. But be careful what you wish for. If the fight becomes imminent, who knows the kind of s*** Nintendo will do to their console to stop pirating. Think of what Jagex did to Runscape just to stop real-world trading... ya.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Eh, I would have to agree with you. But be careful what you wish for. If the fight becomes imminent, who knows the kind of s*** Nintendo will do to their console to stop pirating. Think of what Jagex did to Runscape just to stop real-world trading... ya.

...You know, I forgot, what did they do?

I mean, I recall they put a ****ing annoying value limit on trades, making it impossible to trade money to a weaker player effectively, but I'm drawing a blank on real world trades.

Slick

Banned
Are there really that many people with flashcarts and the like to put a dent in Nintendo's metaphorical tower of money?

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
And therein lies the question, does Nintendo really have to do all this crap?
Admittedly, I have a flashcart, but the other day I supported Nintendo by buying a copy of HeartGold and I intend to buy an English SoulSilver.
Not all flashcart owners are pirates.
In fact, a lot use flashcarts solely to run homebrew games/applications...

It's basically the same argument against hacking.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
You mean like Action Replay and PokeSav, etc.? Please elaborate.

I just realized bringing up the whole hacking argument in a thread about flashcarts probably isn't the best idea, so I won't.

jellsprout

Homebrew on both the Wii and DS is as illegal as pirating games. You are editing their software, which is against the copyright laws. Although it isn't as focused on as pirating, hacking games and software is still illegal.

All Nintendo is doing is wasting money. You can't stop people from spreading the games around on the internet. The people who are already illegally getting their games won't stop because they have to find a new site. And there are still enough people paying for the games to not hurt them at all.
It is like WMG blocking their songs on Youtube. Although it is illegal, it barely hurts them and it only makes people hate them more.

jellsprout

I'm not 100% sure on the DS homebrew, but I doubt it is legal to get round the DS's own software like that. Although you are making no permanent chances, you are still editing the DS to do things it isn't intended to do.

Zerokku

Nonstop Breeder
I'm not 100% sure on the DS homebrew, but I doubt it is legal to get round the DS's own software like that. Although you are making no permanent chances, you are still editing the DS to do things it isn't intended to do.

Except you aren't editing the DS. This isn't custom firmware, it's all run from a cart. You don't need to change anything on the DS in order to run Homebrew. I have official DSi Firmware 1.4. I had to modify my cart to run my acekard in 1.4. I didn't have to modify my DS to do so.

jellsprout

You change the boot of the DS. You bypass its regular booting, skip the start page and go straight to the flash card's software. Although you aren't making any direct or permanent changes to the DS, you are still modifying the use of the DS.
As I said, I am not sure on this, but it doesn't sound like its legal.

It is the same as using Gecko or an AR in a game. You don't make any permanent changes. If you reset the game without Gecko or the AR, everything will be normal again. But you are still temporarily editing the software, which is illegal.

Zerokku

Nonstop Breeder
You change the boot of the DS. You bypass its regular booting, skip the start page and go straight to the flash card's software. Although you aren't making any direct or permanent changes to the DS, you are still modifying the use of the DS.
As I said, I am not sure on this, but it doesn't sound like its legal.

That doesn't happen with my acekard. It loads up like a retail cart would.

Zerokku

Nonstop Breeder
My R4 shows the Nintendo DS boot up page and go straight to the flash cart, like it would if you had the automatic start-up setting on.

My acekard doesn't even do that. The Standard DS boot up page, then it goes to the Standard DSi menu for me to pick to listen to music, play DSiWare, ect. I choose to boot up the cart the exact way I would a retail game.

Slick

Banned
My acekard doesn't even do that. The Standard DS boot up page, then it goes to the Standard DSi menu for me to pick to listen to music, play DSiWare, ect. I choose to boot up the cart the exact way I would a retail game.

Yes, I know some can do that as well. I was just merely stating that all flash-carts allow some recognition that you are using a Nintendo DS (or whatever..).