• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo's On the Move With Fighting Piracy

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Apparently, Nintendo and 54 other publishers are seeking damages against retailers and online auction sites that sell Majicon flash cart devices, as well as websites that offer game downloads. On top of all this, they have actually opened up a snitch line for people to "anonymously" snitch on said retailers and websites as well. In February a cease and desist letter was sent out to major retailers about the flash carts, but smaller retailers have continued sale of the devices in Japan. Im not sure how common these devices are in the states or Europe, but I would expect it to be hitting home for the English speaking gamers real soon as well. Heres the article

Surfing_Pikachu

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Huh. Hope Nintendo loses.

How else am I going to play FE 6?

granbull guy

Vasoline
What the crap Nintendo needs to "Take ou the stick" as John Gosslen would say around his kids

BCVM22

Quoting that abomination of a "reality show" seriously is terrible enough to begin with, but to suggest that they're doing anything wrong by trying to stop the sale of devices that, while not technically illegal on their own, are used primarily for illegal purposes is even worse.

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Interesting. With the 4.2 disaster now out, they must have made there New Year's Resolution to stop piracy or something. Also, my avatar is 10x better than yours, obviously.

Well, if you put yours up after the first 20 minutes the avatars were uploaded then I guess so? X0
I'd be lying if I said I agreed with Nintendo on this.

I also agree with them. Not on any morality or anti piracy basis, though, just simply because it pisses me off that I pay my hard earned money for a hard copy of a game and then people just use a flash cart and upload 50 onto one single cartridge for free. If they were limited to using an emulator to play I might not be as ticked, but its portable just like the real thing.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I also agree with them. Not on any morality or anti piracy basis, though, just simply because it pisses me off that I pay my hard earned money for a hard copy of a game and then people just use a flash cart and upload 50 onto one single cartridge for free. If they were limited to using an emulator to play I might not be as ticked, but its portable just like the real thing.

You realize emulators can be downloaded onto laptops? Which are portable?

Hell, I think there's a GBA emulator for the iPhone.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Actually, I support stuff like this. Perhaps because I'm a bit of a stickler for rules, but mostly because my Dad works in the video game industry.

My friend has one, and it annoys me no end that his game collection increases three-fold every week for no cost, including games like GTA DS, which my Dad spent several days worth of overtime in the production team there of. HE IS RUININ MAH FAMILY!

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer

Ok, well I meant the DS. I mean, the laptop is no where near as conveinient as a DS is....

As far as the iPhone app- I had no idea that was even possible? Isn't that technically a hack or homebrew thing like a modded PSP? And GBA isnt even an issue to me since its technically an outdated format since the games are no longer in production- and tough its as nails to find new games or even the decent games used. Of course you can find them on auction sites, but you will most likely end up paying too much. I should know- I payed 50 bucks for a USED Colleseum w/ Bonus Disc for Cube, and I payed 25 for a used Ruby version as well. You can call me crazy for that, but those were the lowest deals for BOTH of those games I could find on Ebay at the time.

I guess it just ticks me off that they are able to put all those games onto a cartridge that functions the SAME as a DS game and they can use all the features that were built into the game that ONLY the DS can use- which I pay for.... and an emulator cant, to my knowledge, use Wifi features or connect to the internet at all.

Last edited:

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!

All FE 6 had going for it was that it had no easy mode, and all the characters sucked. If you really want to torture yourself that badly, just got play FEDS.

I guess it just ticks me off that they are able to put all those games onto a cartridge that functions the SAME as a DS game and they can use all the features that were built into the game that ONLY the DS can use- which I pay for.... and an emulator cant, to my knowledge, use Wifi features or connect to the internet at all.

Oh, yes they can. Emulators can even go Wi-Fi, and from my understanding, the pokemon games can even trade with legit games through the GTS. Not that I'm advocating it or anything.

Last edited:

Zerokku

Nonstop Breeder
While I applaud Nintendo's efforts and support them in trying to eliminate piracy, I hate how this gets in the way of legitimate homebrewers like myself. I have an acekard, and use it for homebrew, but not piracy (And if anyone doubts me, I'll take a pic of my 30+ DS game collection)

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it

Yes, I've played Pokemon Gold on my friends iPhone multiple times, although it requires the iPhone be jail-broken.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
fighting piracy is like fighting terrorism, it doesn't matter how many times you slay them they just keep coming and coming.

i wish nintendo good luck with it.

Last edited:

Cobalt_Latios

Hell with that, if you're able to get iPodLinux, then you can easily get a number of different emulators to run on that thing. From Genesis, to NES, to Game Boy, to GBA, you can pretty much run anything not 3D graphics.

While I applaud Nintendo's efforts and support them in trying to eliminate piracy, I hate how this gets in the way of legitimate homebrewers like myself. I have an acekard, and use it for homebrew, but not piracy (And if anyone doubts me, I'll take a pic of my 30+ DS game collection)
acekard? Is that for DS? Because I know they're in the process of trying to get Homebrew to work for the DSi via SD card slot. What exactly does it do in terms of Homebrew?

fighting piracy is like fighting terrorism, it doesn't matter how many times you slay them they just keep coming and coming.

i wish nintendo good luck with it.
Pretty much; if you put a blockage, people will find a way around it. It just takes a while. But it will happen.

Also, hasn't Nintendo done tons of precautions to avoid piracy, yet so far none of that has really worked? I mean, the reason they went with cartridge and mini DVD (GC) was to avoid piracy. And yet, people have found ways around that.

Oh well...

<C_L>

Zerokku

Nonstop Breeder
acekard? Is that for DS? Because I know they're in the process of trying to get Homebrew to work for the DSi via SD card slot. What exactly does it do in terms of Homebrew?

Yah, it's a flashcart. Which means it can be used for Homebrew as much as piracy. Theres all kinds of homebrew programs from MP3 players, to organizers, to indie games, to drawing pads, ect.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
All FE 6 had going for it was that it had no easy mode, and all the characters sucked. If you really want to torture yourself that badly, just got play FEDS.

Lolwhut?

Somebody never played FE 6.

For one, easy mode was introduced in FE 8. FE 7 and 6 had Normal Mode and Hard mode.

For two, FE 6 had a mass of Jeigans, but by no means were the characters bad. Dieck, Rutger, Dorothy, Alan, Sue, Ray, Lugh, and Lilina were all extremely powerful, and there's far more then just them.

Hell, once Roy finally got the Sealed Sword, he became the best character in the GBA games. NO FREAKING EXCEPTIONS.

Last edited:

Cobalt_Latios

Yah, it's a flashcart. Which means it can be used for Homebrew as much as piracy. Theres all kinds of homebrew programs from MP3 players, to organizers, to indie games, to drawing pads, ect.
You failed to mention "video player". While I'm certain it's probably there, that's probably the only interest I would have in modding a DS Lite/i.

Yeah, I haven't really seen any flashcarts before so I can't conceptualize what one actually looks like. But, I've seen someone with an R4, if those count. Those things can have expandable memory by the looks of it.

<C_L>

Electivirus

Not really, no.
You failed to mention "video player". While I'm certain it's probably there, that's probably the only interest I would have in modding a DS Lite/i.

Yeah, I haven't really seen any flashcarts before so I can't conceptualize what one actually looks like. But, I've seen someone with an R4, if those count. Those things can have expandable memory by the looks of it.

<C_L>

Hell, I've got an Acekard 2i for my DSi. Yep...it's already happened.

Surfing_Pikachu

Eh, I would have to agree with you. But be careful what you wish for. If the fight becomes imminent, who knows the kind of s*** Nintendo will do to their console to stop pirating.