• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No More Random Battles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't any of the main characters have battles with random trainers anymore? Everyone they battle seem to become rivals. I'm not even necessarily talking about a COTD when I say random trainer. I'm thinking back to episodes like in the Orange Islands in the episode featuring Prima. Before battling her, Ash battled a trainer with a Persian and Tauros. They battled and then that trainer left. That was it. I'd personally like to see some more random battles like that, rather than see the trainers get new rivals or spend a day with them every time.

What are your thoughts? We would get so many more battles that way too I bet.

Rohanator

The show is mainly about meeting new people along the way of a journey, most of the time in every series the people they battle will be befriended in some way. Completely random opponents from BW that I can recall are the Dewott guy in the first Don Battle Club and the random opponents in tournaments like the Simisage guy. Overall I'd be fun to see them do more random battles like you do in the games, but it'd also be quite meaningless overall in the writer's minds I think and it probably won't happen a lot.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Unfortunatly that never happened and never will happen in the anime.

I would like to see random battles once in a while but the anime isn't written that way.

Situations like those two kids that fougth Satoshi in a double battle to happen frequently would be cool.

LizardonX

Banned
The writers cbf to put forth any real effort in their episodes nowadays. All that matters is to lighten the load of the animators a bit more and sell some more merch.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
How random are we speaking?

*Imagines Ash walking past a trainer stood completely still*

Trainer: !
Ash: What the?
Trainer: Check out my powerful bug types!
Iris: Is this kid okay?
Cilan: He has an unusual taste..

*Battle stuff.. The battle ends, trainer throws his money at Ash and runs*

That random? I'm only kidding, I know what you mean.. but really they've never been that common. I can't even remember the last time one happened outside of a tournament.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I noticed the trend back in Sinnoh, but Unova seems to have taken it to an extreme with virtually every Trainer that Ash has fought showing up for Unova League.

We do get a lot of practice battles. Maybe they should have some random battles in the beginning of the episode instead of Training. Then again, that'd actually be beneficial to Ash since he'll battle a variety of trainers so they won't do that.

BlueDragonfangirl

Cuz This is Best Wishes, they don't care about training, its all about luck of the draw.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I think th the first random battle he had in BW was vs Stephan in his debut. Then he became a rival, whom ironically was a better handled rival than Trip.

I like those random CotD's like Soran and Riiku.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I noticed the trend back in Sinnoh, but Unova seems to have taken it to an extreme with virtually every Trainer that Ash has fought showing up for Unova League.

We do get a lot of practice battles. Maybe they should have some random battles in the beginning of the episode instead of Training. Then again, that'd actually be beneficial to Ash since he'll battle a variety of trainers so they won't do that.

But that is good, the tournament kids being in the league specially, it means that they were all good and all had some kind of goal not just some random kid taking part in a random tournament, I really liked that the writers finally did that with the league.

Cuz This is Best Wishes, they don't care about training, its all about luck of the draw.

This has nothing to do with BW, this NEVER happened in the anime, thats what we are talking about.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
This has nothing to do with BW, this NEVER happened in the anime, thats what we are talking about.

yes it has. back in AG, an episode started with ash and Torkoal battling a random trainer with a scizor. I believe this was the episode where ash met drake. and it was a random battle and a random trainer not a COTD

Nightstar1994

But that is good, the tournament kids being in the league specially, it means that they were all good and all had some kind of goal not just some random kid taking part in a random tournament, I really liked that the writers finally did that with the league.

What about the kid that Ash battled using Chikorita at the beginning of one Johto episode? They didn't finish the battle but it still happened.

Also, at first i thought Kenyan/Stephan would be CotD, never thought he'd be recurring o_O

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down

Is that really all that bad, though? The only ones this even applies to really are Katharine and Virgil, the rest all came from the Don George tournaments, and honestly, it makes sense to see a lot of trainers who we saw before in the League.

FlyAsADunsparce

Unfortunatly that never happened and never will happen in the anime.

I would like to see random battles once in a while but the anime isn't written that way.

Situations like those two kids that fougth Satoshi in a double battle to happen frequently would be cool.

Well in DP Ash battled that guy with the Probopass though right. That was kinda random. I'm pretty sure there are more examples.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Well in DP Ash battled that guy with the Probopass though right. That was kinda random. I'm pretty sure there are more examples.

He had some in BW too, we can say Swama is random even if it was plot driven, it was a one time thing, the twin kids like I mentioned before, Koharu was a one time thing she is taking part on the league though which is cool.

Is that really all that bad, though? The only ones this even applies to really are Katharine and Virgil, the rest all came from the Don George tournaments, and honestly, it makes sense to see a lot of trainers who we saw before in the League.

I said this back in the first tournament I believe, I think it was a great writer decision better then see 100 people who don't know about.

ShinyPokemon inc.

The Tower Master
They should bring random battles back in the gen 6 anime it makes the games and anime a little bit closer.

gliscor&yanmega

Why don't any of the main characters have battles with random trainers anymore? Everyone they battle seem to become rivals. I'm not even necessarily talking about a COTD when I say random trainer. I'm thinking back to episodes like in the Orange Islands in the episode featuring Prima. Before battling her, Ash battled a trainer with a Persian and Tauros. They battled and then that trainer left. That was it. I'd personally like to see some more random battles like that, rather than see the trainers get new rivals or spend a day with them every time.

What are your thoughts? We would get so many more battles that way too I bet.

Not everyone they battle becomes rivals, Ash has battled a few people throughout the series and only Trip, Bianca, and Stephan ended up as his rivals, everyone else he battled was just one time. Same for Iris and Cilan who only have one rival each despite battling a few different people.

The only reason the writers would do that stuff before was because Ash and the others never really had rivals and as such they random nobodies filled that roll. But now they give the main characters rivals, they show training battles, and still show battles with random strangers.

I prefer the way it is now. I don't want to see Ash battle a bunch of nobodies, a few here and there is fine by me, but I enjoy rival battles, and more established characters who have an episode for themselves.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Is that really all that bad, though?

I dislike their over-reliance of recurring characters. It's mainly because with so many of them they can't really focus on them enough to make it worthwhile. Back in Sinnoh it was Conway and Nando who got the short end of the stick development wise. Nando went months between appearances and we didn't know Conway was a contender until the last opening. In Unova there seems to be so many of them that no one got decent development. They were sort of just there.

I liked the feeling that there were hundreds of Trainers in the world and not all of them were good enough to make it to League. That seems more realistic then the current setup.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I dislike their over-reliance of recurring characters. It's mainly because with so many of them they can't really focus on them enough to make it worthwhile. Back in Sinnoh it was Conway and Nando who got the short end of the stick development wise. Nando went months between appearances and we didn't know Conway was a contender until the last opening. In Unova there seems to be so many of them that no one got decent development. They were sort of just there.

I liked the feeling that there were hundreds of Trainers in the world and not all of them were good enough to make it to League. That seems more realistic then the current setup.

I'll give you Conway and Nando, but DP botched so much of what it tried that it's hardly worth thinking about now.

Maybe they did use a few too many old characters in the Unova League, but consider the flip side - in previous Leagues there were no recurring characters except for rivals. It didn't make it feel like not all trainers were good enough for the League, it made it feel like none of what happened prior to the League happened in a larger world.

jmk3190

Let's not forget when they arrived in Petalburg City, Ash had to battle a lot of trainers before he challenged Norman. Also, the trainer with the Ludicolo and the drums, the double battle with that trainer that refused to leave the island, And in Sinnoh, Turtwig and Piplup battled a Croconaw and Quilava on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.