• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No More Random Battles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airi-Chan

Falling Roses
So, N arc won't be any battles? I hope there's battle between Ash VS Trip or more Iris VS Georgia and Cilan VS Burgundy.

nuzamaki90

IF you mean random like in the first movie where the dude with the Donphan just somehow knew Ash and challenged him then...

I'd love that so much.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I'll give you Conway and Nando, but DP botched so much of what it tried that it's hardly worth thinking about now.

Maybe they did use a few too many old characters in the Unova League, but consider the flip side - in previous Leagues there were no recurring characters except for rivals. It didn't make it feel like not all trainers were good enough for the League, it made it feel like none of what happened prior to the League happened in a larger world.
Well given that DP had Legendary Pokemon partake in the league... those random COTD's that Ash met clearly could not match the leagues standards. Heck, Hoenn didn't bring back COTD's to my knowledge either

IcySealeo

When Ash first battled Stephan I was so happy because it was like back then in OS, where Ash battled random trainers at the beginning of the episode. At that time, I wished Stephan won't become a reccurring character so that it will be a CotD that Ash just battled it.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
It didn't make it feel like not all trainers were good enough for the League, it made it feel like none of what happened prior to the League happened in a larger world.

Remember that the character we see the most (Ash) is the extreme exception to the rule. Like him or not, he is in the top percentile of Trainers. The average Trainer isn't even remotely as good as he is.

Ash used to promise to meet the Character of the Day at the Pokemon League. In retrospect, he seems to have been saying Don't quit and go home! which is exactly what the overwhelming majority of Pokemon Trainers do. It takes a lot of dedication to make it through a region. Even someone experienced like Ash loses sometimes, so it must be horrible for a complete newbie in their first year.

What I'm trying to say is ... the vast majority of badge collecting Pokemon Trainers simply do not make it to the Pokemon League for one reason or another. Of the hundreds of kids who set out the League only has an average showing of less then 200 Trainers. A small percentage of them are League veterans like Ash or Paul who travel from region to region competitively.

It seems that the odds are heavily stacked against you, and yet many of the characters that Ash met this time around managed to make it for some reason. Of all of the League participants I think 1/3 o them were recognized as recurring characters either in-region or in the background from previous seasons. If we did really deep I think the number's closer to 1/2.

I don't know ... it just seems improbable that so many that Ash has met before made it in.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I'd love to see that.Like back in Kanto when an episode started with Bulbasaur battling a Rhyhorn...you know,the episode where it refused to evolve.Those were awesome episodes.Now,it's such a big deal when they showcase a pkmn that hasn't appeared before...

IcySealeo

Now the writer makes every trainer Ash battles a rival, and that's just bother. They need to keep some good characters to one episode only too.

I'd love to see that.Like back in Kanto when an episode started with Bulbasaur battling a Rhyhorn...you know,the episode where it refused to evolve.Those were awesome episodes.Now,it's such a big deal when they showcase a pkmn that hasn't appeared before...

That's what I'm saying. It's cool to see pokemon they haven't shown yet, but every now and then it would be cool to see Ash or any of the main characters accept a battle with a trainer in a forest or in a city and then after the battle that trainer just leaves. The writers are also showing new pokemon whenever they can but don't always show them battling. I'd personally prefer to see a new pokemon in battle with Ash or whoever for 2 minutes rather than see that pokemon follow its trainer for an entire episode and do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.