• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No Slot Machines in European Platinum games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell_fire

......duck...
how does one study in vegas?

next thing you know they'll remove all attacks.. say it teaches violence and then replace the aspect of pokemon with spreading love

poke_girl

The Amazing

next thing you know they'll remove all attacks.. say it teaches violence and then replace the aspect of pokemon with spreading love

Don't forget catching! Can't have catching poor wild animals..

Alloute

Not Banned

I never said anything about studying in Vegas dearest comrade.

I said children should be studying and not gambling their money away.

Miltank Lover

Breeder, Miltank Ftw
No loss here, I've got myself a US plat altho I hardly ever play the slot machines in Pearl I do agree with the others that they should have let the option to play them in.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Just realized that today too, I'm really miffed. So we either take six months for a TM or waste all of our hard-earned money on coins! It's extremely annoying considering it's been in every other game. Maybe Looker placed a ban on it for us. :D

poke_girl

The Amazing
Be nice if there could ever be some kind of official response to this.. but I doubt we'd get one.
Any new crappy laws come into effect recently? I know Harvest Moon DS did the same thing to Europe..

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
Just as long as there's still that guy who will check which type your Hidden Power is, I'm content.

Just as long as there's still that guy who will check which type your Hidden Power is, I'm content.

I agree. I never played the slots anyway (only in R/B/Y and G/S/C, where they were really easy)

Psyduck Ranger

Celebi's Guardian
What the hell?! Just what the hell!? How am I supposed to get the already ridiculously overpriced beams now?

So first we have to wait ages whilst they program other languages into the cartridges, whilst they don't actually take the effort to slightly tweak it so it's in British English. Then we hardly ever get access to a great deal of legendary Pokémon. Now this...

What the hell, Nintendo...

Alloute

Not Banned
Lol, maybe this is the reason why Nintendo took 2 months to release the game in the UK.

Yup, ruining the Game Corner takes months...

Blazios

What I find stupid is that most forms of gambling are illegal in Japan, so why do they not not have the slot machines?

I've just ordered a US copy after 3 hours of searching, not only because of this, but the fact that I can get all the events earlier (aside from Secret Key) and it costs a great deal less too. Oh, and I have quite a bit of money to spend at the moment.

We haven't even had the Regigigas event yet!

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

The Study of Mark D. Griffiths (1994) - The Role of Cognitive bias and skill in fruit machine gambling

A study performed in the United Kingdom that researched how people who often play fruit machines have a cognitive bias that makes them feel that they have a skill on a game based entirely on luck and leads to irrational thought.

I guess they could have removed it from Europe maybe due to that study, or as a way of trying to discourage gambling, as in Europe at the moment kids are doing a lot of things they shouldn't do (see the UK's teen pregnancy rate...it's too high >>). Has anyone tried to contact Nintendo to see why they did it? It's really stupid.

EDIT:
Just emailed them. Now to wait for a reply.

Last edited:

Banjo-Fella

Doodler of Thingies
This is pretty silly, and irritating for anybody looking for TM64. It seems strange that Nintendo would suddenly alter something which was apparently perfectly reasonable in the European releases of D/P... so maybe they were forced into removing it by some tiresome censorship body? Blah.

Ah well, I'm not too bothered anyway. I'm very happy with my copy of Platinum, Game Corner or no. To be honest I always found the slots kind of boring and used to shell out my Elite Four earnings for TMs there instead. It's not like I was going to spend it on anything else, aside from maybe buying my way through the first 100 EVs on a particular stat. I know asking for coins over and over again (why can't we choose to buy as many as possible?! Grah!) is if anything more boring, but still. :p

Somebody should really investigate if TM64 can still at least be randomly picked up at the Game Corner. Either by laborious trial and error, or making a Gameshark code that makes the Slot Machines always searchable. Just as a means of finding out quickly, because it might be enough to force some fellow Europeans into importing.

Blazios

Somebody should really investigate if TM64 can still at least be randomly picked up at the Game Corner. Either by laborious trial and error, or making a Gameshark code that makes the Slot Machines always searchable. Just as a means of finding out quickly, because it might be enough to force some fellow Europeans into importing.

The notice that refers to the Explosion TM in the other games says that you shouldn't spill Soda Pop or Lemonade on themachines, and to report to reception if you do. I tried examining all the machines last night with Lemonade and Soda Pop in my bag, but nothing happened. I'm thinking that it might have something to do with that.

I guess they could have removed it from Europe maybe due to that study, or as a way of trying to discourage gambling, as in Europe at the moment kids are doing a lot of things they shouldn't do (see the UK's teen pregnancy rate...it's too high >>).

What, are they going to remove breeding next?

DarkerShining

I was wondering why I couldn't play the slot machines... This sucks.

... Well, at least I can still listen to the cool game corner music while I spend lots of money on coins so I can get an ice beam TM for my Lumineon...

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Haha, I wouldn't put it past them. Cross-breeding between different species is seen as bad in some nations, so maybe even in the Pokémon world it's morally wrong!

dontcountstars

Pokemon Collector
I have just emailed Nintendo:

Upon purchasing Pokemon Platinum and reaching Veilstone City I was disgusted to find that the Game Corner's Slot Machines had been removed. Upon looking into this issue I see that you have removed the slot machine references and gameplay from all PAL versions of Platinum.

Why does Nintendo hate Europe? Not only do we get the game months after America and Japan, but we get an edited version? There have been slot machines in every pokemon game, why now do you see it fit to cut a feature from ONLY the PAL versions, when the same slot machines are available in Diamond and Pearl. This is besides the point that so many Pokemon events are not available in Europe. Your continual discrimination against Europe has been noticed by many many gamers, and though you obviously couldn't care less about this, you will lose customers this way.

As a core gameplay element has been removed from my game, an element that Japan and America and Australia have access to still, I would like to know why I was not informed of this on the game packaging, and why I did not receive a discount off the price of the game, considering it has had a core feature removed?

I have always spent many hours on the slot machines and am truly saddened at this loss. I think it is disgraceful that such an event such be performed, especially without even attempting to let customers know. This is, incidentally, misrepresentation.

Also I would like to know why the prices of the prizes at the game corner, for the TMs in particular, have not been lowered to reflect your removal of our ability to earn coins to purchase them with? It would take six months of visiting the Game Corner every day in order to be able to purchase even ONE of these TMs. How are Europeans supposed to build their Pokemon teams without fair access to these vital TMs, which incidentally, gives unfair advantage to Japanese, American and Australian trainers, as it is easy for them to generate coins quickly with full access to the slot machines.

I await your response at your earliest convenience

...doubt I will get a response but still, I hate how companies throw us shoddy leftovers.

This wouldn't bother me very much, since I don't actually play the slots anymore.

Still, that's really stupid. D: The legal age for gambling is pretty much the same worldwide (I think?), so taking it out of just the European version is really fail. :[

Status
Not open for further replies.