• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

No [Team] work, play time!

Leyniar

Not much to say, I have some Favs Pokemon I have never used before and I will like to see them in action. I want to make this team special, like, be creative with it (if it's possible).

Here is what came to my mind...

--------------------

038-m.png

Ninetales @
wisdom-glasses.png
(Wise Glasses)
Flash Fire | Timid Nature
~ Energy Ball
~ Nasty Plot
~ Hypnosis
~ Flamethrower

369-m.png

Relicanth @
focus-lens.png
(Zoom Lens)
Rock Head | Adamant Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
~ Head Smash
~ Aqua Tail
~ Earthquake
~ Yawn

335-m.png

Zangoose @
life-orb.png
(Life Orb)
Immunity | Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Return
~ Swords Dance
~ Shadow Claw
~ Close Combat

492-l.png
492.png

Shaymin @
Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png
(Leftovers)
Natural Cure | Timid Nature
~ Air Slash
~ Seed Flare
~ Leech Seed
~ Earth Power

--------------------

Like I said, I want to end up with something creative in terms of diversity. Which means that I will only change one of these Pokemon if its extremely [2X] necessary. Also, I didn't put EVs because this is an In-Game team but, any distribution that might be necessary and that I wasn't aware of, is appreciated.

Thanks for the rates beforehand.

Last edited:

The Mighty Wurmple

I honestly suggest making your Beautifly faster, as at the moment it will pretty much take the hit and die. Perhaps giving it a Timid nature and Wide Lens, or switching to a Butterfree will work. Butterfree has Compoundeyes, which almost gives it a 100% accurate Sleep Powder.

AlCario

Banned
Replace Luvdisc. While he is a formidable sweeper and valuable counter to Weedle, the rain just doesn't work when two of your pokes rely on healing moves that fail in it.

I'll rate this properly later.

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
Butterfree is much better than Beautifly, and still obscure enough to be worth using on an "oddball" team.

Butterfree @ Choice Scarf
Timid / Compoundeyes
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz

Double status with 97% accuracy on a sleep move is a beautiful thing.

Luvdisc is simply too terrible, even for a non-standard team, to be used. I recommend SpecsVile Relicanth, as another non-standard Water-type.

Relicanth @ Zoom Lens
Adamant / Rock Head
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Head Smash
- Aqua Tail / Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge / Yawn / Bounce

Rock Head Smash is not Aggron's job, he stole it off this guy. -.-

Zangoose is okay, I guess, but definitely run Return over Poison Jab, and use CC over Night Slash or Shadow Claw. (And X-Scissor in the first slot, just in case.)

Shaymin is fine.

Leyniar

I honestly suggest making your Beautifly faster, as at the moment it will pretty much take the hit and die. Perhaps giving it a Timid nature and Wide Lens, or switching to a Butterfree will work. Butterfree has Compoundeyes, which almost gives it a 100% accurate Sleep Powder.

I see... also, Butterfree is a little bit more faster. I'll consider Butterfree.

Replace Luvdisc. While he is a formidable sweeper and valuable counter to Weedle, the rain just doesn't work when two of your pokes rely on healing moves that fail in it.

I'll rate this properly later.

Hey hey, what are you trying to say? Comparing Luvdisc with Weedle. (Weedle xDD).

Butterfree is much better than Beautifly, and still obscure enough to be worth using on an "oddball" team.

Timid / Compoundeyes
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz

Double status with 97% accuracy on a sleep move is a beautiful thing.

Ahh, thanks for the moveset. Btw, won't Stun Spore be better (for Butterfree) over Sleep Powder? I mean, his low Speed would benefit from it. Also, this is In-Game, I don't trust myselft using a Choice Scarf in it. Can you suggest another item?

012-f.png

Butterfree for Beautifly @ Choice Scarf?
Compoundeyes | Timid Nature
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Sleep Powder / Stun Spore
~ Toxic
~ Air Slash
~ Bug Buzz

*Yes, I also have a shiny Butterfree.
*n00b question: What you mean "oddball" team?

Luvdisc is simply too terrible, even for a non-standard team, to be used. I recommend SpecsVile Relicanth, as another non-standard Water-type.

Relicanth @ Zoom Lens
Adamant / Rock Head
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Head Smash
- Aqua Tail / Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge / Yawn / Bounce

Rock Head Smash is not Aggron's job, he stole it off this guy. -.-

My Luvdisc, don't take her away =[

Zangoose is okay, I guess, but definitely run Return over Poison Jab, and use CC over Night Slash or Shadow Claw. (And X-Scissor in the first slot, just in case.)

Hmm... One thing, I saw that Zangoose has a low Def and SpD and my concern is, after a Close Combat, basically anything can attack him and he will suffer. Also, what you think about giving him Quick Attack? along with his great Atk, Quick Attack is a STAB move.

Some changes...

Zangoose @ Leftovers
Immunity | Jolly Nature
~ X-Scissor
~ Return
~ Quick Attack
~ Night Slash / Shadow Claw / Close Combat

Last edited:

The Mighty Wurmple

I think the point of Zangoose is to get quick, powerful hits in and not take any in return. Thus people use EVs and natures to maximise his attacking potential, and not his defence.

I'd use Shadow Claw > X-Scissor, as you'll be getting the Super Effective hits on Ghosts anyway, and STAB Return is 10 Base Power off a Super Effect X-Scissor anyway.
Close Combat should be used in the last slot.

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
Eh, keep Luvdisc if you like failing not winning.

"Oddball" is just another word for non-standard, or different - I think it's from baseball, where an "oddball" is a ball which is thrown differently or something.

EDIT: Woo, rank up!

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^Actually, the term "oddball" comes from pool. It used to signify when someone hit the white ball into a pocket, which you're not supposed to do. It was an odd move, thus oddball.

Anyway, Shaymin should probably drop Synthesis. In the rain, it's useless, and Skymin is too frail to use it effectively. Psychic, Giga Drain, or Leech Seed are good fillers.

Leyniar

I think the point of Zangoose is to get quick, powerful hits in and not take any in return. Thus people use EVs and natures to maximise his attacking potential, and not his defence.

I'd use Shadow Claw > X-Scissor, as you'll be getting the Super Effective hits on Ghosts anyway, and STAB Return is 10 Base Power off a Super Effect X-Scissor anyway.
Close Combat should be used in the last slot.

That's what I thought when looking for a moveset. As for EVs, should I go with the standard 4 / 252 / 252 in HP, Atk, and Spe? ... I know he should have a nature that boost his Atk but I prefer to give him a nature that make him fast to avoid getting hit too much.

Changes...

Zangoose @ Leftovers
Immunity | Jolly Nature
~ Return
~ Quick Attack
~ Shadow Claw
~ Close Combat

Eh, keep Luvdisc if you like failing not winning.

"Oddball" is just another word for non-standard, or different - I think it's from baseball, where an "oddball" is a ball which is thrown differently or something.

EDIT: Woo, rank up!

Relax. I'm a huge Water-type fan and I like Relicanth too. I never set I won't take your set in consideration, I just didn't put it in my last post. Sorry. Also, I just realize a huge mistake... Rain Dance lowers the HP gain by both Synthesis and Morning Sun (some of you said that before).

Changes...

Relicanth for Luvdisc @ Zoom Lens
Adamant / Rock Head
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Head Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Yawn

Plus, his Speed works great with Zoom Lens. =] ... Hmm, also, you didn't tell me your opinion on what I said about Butterfree in my previous post.

^Actually, the term "oddball" comes from pool. It used to signify when someone hit the white ball into a pocket, which you're not supposed to do. It was an odd move, thus oddball.

Ah... Okay. Thanks.

Anyway, Shaymin should probably drop Synthesis. In the rain, it's useless, and Skymin is too frail to use it effectively. Psychic, Giga Drain, or Leech Seed are good fillers.

I'll take Leech Seed...

Shaymin @ Life Orb
~ Air Slash
~ Seed Flare
~ Leech Seed
~ Earth Power

-------------------------------------
Again, thanks and first post updated.

Last edited:

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
You don't seem to be sure about Butterfree's item. I would strongly advise you Scarf it, and have Sleep Powder > Stun Spore. Alternatively, you could go for Triple Stats, but that means that if you get into a tough situation then you'll be really stuck.
For Zangoose, I suggest that you take a little risk and run Swords Dance > Quick Attack. This turns a fairly basic sweeper into a dangerous high-speed killer. Also, consider swapping the Life Orb and Leftovers around; Shaymin gets Leftovers, and Zangoose gets Life Orb. With Shaymin's Leech Seed, you can hit an interesting balance of Offence and Defence.
Just some ideas there, you could try them to see how it works out. Well done on keeping the OP Updated.

Leyniar

You don't seem to be sure about Butterfree's item. I would strongly advise you Scarf it, and have Sleep Powder > Stun Spore. Alternatively, you could go for Triple Stats, but that means that if you get into a tough situation then you'll be really stuck.
For Zangoose, I suggest that you take a little risk and run Swords Dance > Quick Attack. This turns a fairly basic sweeper into a dangerous high-speed killer. Also, consider swapping the Life Orb and Leftovers around; Shaymin gets Leftovers, and Zangoose gets Life Orb. With Shaymin's Leech Seed, you can hit an interesting balance of Offence and Defence.
Just some ideas there, you could try them to see how it works out. Well done on keeping the OP Updated.

I will try Choice Scarf, although you know how much I hate choice items. As for EVs, do you have anything in mind? I wrote the EVs that ungulateman gave me. Also, I was thinking... (for those sticky situations) should I run U-Turn? Just in case.

Fine with Swords Dance, since Return is another STAB for Zangoose, I guess it won't matter if I drop Quick Attack. Same goes for Life Orb and Leftovers. Thanks TBR.

*n00b question: What does OP stands for? (I know you are referring to the first post).

Changes...

Compoundeyes | Timid Nature
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Sleep Powder
~ Toxic
~ Air Slash
~ Bug Buzz

Zangoose @ Life Orb
Immunity | Jolly Nature
~ Return
~ Swords Dance
~ Shadow Claw
~ Close Combat

Shaymin @ Leftovers
~ Air Slash
~ Seed Flare
~ Leech Seed
~ Earth Power
----------------------------------------
First post updated

Last edited:

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
^ "OP" Refers to either Original Post or Original Poster, depending on context.

I know you hate Choice Items, but without one, Butterfree will have a hard time doing anything. Most opponents will just outspeed, and probably OHKO, even with the HP EVs.
I have never EV'd a Shaymin, but Zangoose should be alright with standard Sweeper EVs.

Leyniar

^ "OP" Refers to either Original Post or Original Poster, depending on context.

I know you hate Choice Items, but without one, Butterfree will have a hard time doing anything. Most opponents will just outspeed, and probably OHKO, even with the HP EVs.
I have never EV'd a Shaymin, but Zangoose should be alright with standard Sweeper EVs.

Oki doki. I don't think it is that hard to know which EVs to train for Shaymin. I defenetly need to invest on SpA. Maybe the rest on Spe and some HP.

Then Zangoose takes the standard Sweeper, let see...

Zangoose @ Life Orb
Immunity | Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Return
~ Swords Dance
~ Shadow Claw
~ Close Combat
--------------------------------

Hmm... I just finish using Butterfree in my Platinum. Somehow, I was testing it and after some thinking, I realized that he is relatively weak. Fortunately, as an answer to this concern, I started looking for a Pokémon that appeal to me and that add coverage to my team, and, I found Ninetales.

I came up with this moveset:

Ninetales @ Wide Lens
~ Extrasensory
~ Nasty Plot
~ Hypnosis
~ Flamethrower

Basically, this works much like Swords Dance works for Zangoose. After a Nasty Plot, Ninetales' special attacks would do much more damage and the rest is kind of obvious. Now, some of you might suggest Energy Ball over Extrasensory, but overall, this team is lacking a Psychic move that hit Types not coverage by other of my Pokémon. Also, I think I will be fine with Shaymin's Seed Flare.

What do you guys think? ^^

--------------------------------
First post updated

Bossk

Like a champ.
I like that Ninetails set and I see where you're coming from. Here's a Ninetails I used for the Battle Frontier

Ninetails @ Wise Glasses/Choice Specs
Nature: Timid/Modest
Ability: Flash Fire
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Hypnosis
- Calm Mind/Will-O-Wisp

Go for Timid with a Calm Mind set, otherwise go for Modest with a WoW set. Energy Ball is a blessing, since it does 4x damage to Water/Ground-types, a mixture of types that have been plaguing Fire-types for 2 Generations, especially that Swampert...:/

Copied and pasted from what I received. So the same goes for you except Extrasensory over the Energy Ball, although, as I said, Energy Ball is much better.

Covers three of Ninetail's weaknesses, iirc, maybe more.

Leyniar

I like that Ninetails set and I see where you're coming from. Here's a Ninetails I used for the Battle Frontier

Ninetails @ Wise Glasses/Choice Specs
Nature: Timid/Modest
Ability: Flash Fire
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Hypnosis
- Calm Mind/Will-O-Wisp

Go for Timid with a Calm Mind set, otherwise go for Modest with a WoW set. Energy Ball is a blessing, since it does 4x damage to Water/Ground-types, a mixture of types that have been plaguing Fire-types for 2 Generations, especially that Swampert...:/

Copied and pasted from what I received. So the same goes for you except Extrasensory over the Energy Ball, although, as I said, Energy Ball is much better.

Covers three of Ninetail's weaknesses, iirc, maybe more.

Okay. First of all, I honestly had to read your post four times in order to understand the idea. So, if there is anything I misunderstood, please tell me.

I would go ahead and try to combine the set you provided with what I have.

My vision for this Ninetales is to make her powerful and fast. Calm Mind, while it raises both the SpA and SpD one stage each, Nasty Plot raises SpA two stage, which is what I'm looking for if I want to hit hard. Of the two natures, I will stick with Timid since it would make Ninetales faster. Next, Energy Ball > Extrasensory, ahh thanks for the clarification, I wasn't thinking about common threats like Swampert or Quagsire. ;]

As for the rest, I would take Wise Glasses over Leftovers to make Ninetales even more deadly. Also, I know is not much but Flamethrower has a little chance to cause burn, so I will stick with Hypnosis.

Changes...

Ninetales @ Wise Glasses
~ Energy Ball
~ Nasty Plot
~ Hypnosis
~ Flamethrower

How does it look? :D

*n00b question: What does IIRC stands for?

Last edited: