• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Non-competitive trainer's hangout mk. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanie

Hmm ... I should probably challenge a few more people, too.
Let's see, so far I've gotten Glover's badge and ... someone else's. Was that NorthWind/;342;'s? I think it was ...
Anyway. Challenging. I probably should do that again at some point.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Well, happy to report I'm home from college. Which means I can battle now. If there are people interested in challenging, seeing as most league personnel are AWOL, and I'm looking to have a little fun, I'll temporarily waive the "eight badges required to challenge me" rule, so right now, I'm happy to report that this Elite is wandering and can be challenged by anyone.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
Hmm ... I should probably challenge a few more people, too.
Let's see, so far I've gotten Glover's badge and ... someone else's. Was that NorthWind/;342;'s? I think it was ...
Anyway. Challenging. I probably should do that again at some point.

I seem to remember promising you a rechallenging a while that never happened. Maybe sometime we can finally do that...

Well, happy to report I'm home from college. Which means I can battle now. If there are people interested in challenging, seeing as most league personnel are AWOL, and I'm looking to have a little fun, I'll temporarily waive the "eight badges required to challenge me" rule, so right now, I'm happy to report that this Elite is wandering and can be challenged by anyone.

Soon... Very soon Firebrand... I'll be back.

Oh, and a new chapter of Maelstrom is up!

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
seeing as most league personnel are A-WALL,

Yes, and this lovely painting I have hanging from my plasterwork is gorgeous, no? :-D

Man, I'm so far behind in everything its not even funny. Still here and still reading though...

Joanie

I seem to remember promising you a rechallenging a while that never happened. Maybe sometime we can finally do that...

Soon .... you.
Also, gotten White 2! And immediately started a Nuzlocke of it. Currently training up to hit the first gym with a Snivy, Patrat, Purrloin and, of all things, a Psyduck.

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
Hey gang, for those of you not connected to the FB page or who'll get this as a subscription e-mail before clocking in there, Blazi and Feral are tempting the idea of a Holiday RP. (Because the last one we started died a horrible, ignored death). Is anyone even interested? And if so, do you think you'd be game for doing it here, or doing it in the RP sub-forum of the Fanfic and Interaction forums, the advantage of the latter being that we might very well be able to stretch it out past the Holidays and do something a little more enjoyable and RP-y, and not have the usual clutter of NCTH bid'ness between posts.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Soon .... you.
Also, gotten White 2! And immediately started a Nuzlocke of it. Currently training up to hit the first gym with a Snivy, Patrat, Purrloin and, of all things, a Psyduck.

I started Black 2 with two different Nuzlockes. Watch out after you get your 8 badges... without spoiling anything, you face 3 Team Plasma bosses and a legendary all in a row, and that stretch killed me both times.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Happy holidays, everyone! Just wanted to remind you all that this little fic exists, so if you're in need of some holiday cheer, give it a read!

UPDATE: Not much interest in an RP this year, but if you guys still want to do something, Dracoburn and I are writing quick fics about how our characters would spend the Solstice holiday. The proposed theme is "how far we've come", either literally or metaphorically speaking. Take some time to write it if you want, but perhaps not past new years? So yeah, feel free to jump on board, if you are so inclined. Post them in the group thread when/if you decide to try it out.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
Here's my Solstice ficlet. I spoiler'd it because of length. Feel free to peruse.

[spoil]Cole draped his left arm over the back of the sofa and leaned his head back. The tree was up, the presents were wrapped, and the fire was crackling merrily. He pulled Athena onto his lap and stroked her fur. The Firebrand let his eyes drift lower, basking in the warmth of the hearth. A light snowfall was drifting down outside the cabin window. Maeve, Masamune and his pups were frolicking in the flurry, under Scathatch’s watchful gaze. Cole let out a contented sigh.

Athena tugged at the end of Cole’s sleeve. “We’ll put that out, right?”

“What’s that, Fuzzball?”

“We’ll put the fire out before bedtime, right? Because if we don’t, Father Solstice might burn himself.”

“We’ll be sure to put it out,” Prometheus growled affectionately, coming into the parlor behind Joan. The young woman had her hair tied back in a modest and practical ponytail, and a plate of warm-from-the-oven Solstice cookies in her hands.

“Want one?” she asked, putting the plate down on the coffee table.

“I’ll pass,” Cole said, patting his stomach. “Still full from dinner.” Athena, on the other hand, let out a joyful shriek and leapt for the plate. Prometheus let out a satisfied groan and collapsed to the floor in front of the fire, smoke twirling from his nostrils in a lazy swirl.

Joan leaned her head against Cole’s shoulder. “Good to relax finally, huh?”

“Tell me about it,” Cole murmured. He picked up two glasses and a bottle from the coffee table. “Wine?”

“Yes, please.”

They clinked glasses in a silent toast and sipped the rich red liquor. The two trainers sat in a comfortable silence for some time, until Eris and Feste drifted into the room. Feste alighted atop his usual perch on the coatrack, and Eris settled onto her trainer’s knee. The Chatot made a noise suspiciously like clearing his throat. “On the seventh day of Solstice my true love gave to me…”

Cole hurled a cookie at the bird. “Sixteen pairs of socks and a Pidgey in a Pecha tree. We’re not getting into that song.”

Feste deftly caught the confection in his beak and proceeded to go through all manner of twists and turns to eat it, dropping crumbs all over Cole’s duster. Eris selected one of her own, and Joan made sure the Banette did not make too much of a mess. Prometheus opened his mouth. “Athena, three point shot.”

The Victini hurled a cookie through the air, and Prometheus snapped it up. “She shoots, she scores!” The Charizard then turned on his side, baring his belly to the warm fire.

Joan watched the lights twinkling on the Solstice tree, glittering on the ribbons and bows of the presents piled beneath. “A little different from our last Solstice, isn’t it?”

Cole smiled at her. “A crowded pokemon center, weary from travel? And all the shopping done the day of?”

Joan nestled against his side. “I much prefer our cozy cabin in the woods.”

“Me too.”

“And last year we had Magnus.”

The Firebrand sighed. “Yeah. Last year we had Magnus.” He ran his finger over the spine of Magnus’s spell book, never far from his side. Cole silently sipped his wine and shook off his melancholy. “Fuzzball, get that little present out from under the tree. The red and gold one.”

Athena bounded over to the Solstice tree and hefted the parcel in question, the wrapped box nearly as big as she was. With Eris’s help, she tottered back to Cole and set it down, blinking expectantly. Her trainer grinned. “Well, go on, open it!”

Athena tore the wrapping paper away and gingerly lifted the cover. She pulled a tiny sweater from the tissue paper, knit in deep scarlet and deep emerald yarn. Joan helped her slip into it. “It’s sized for a Pikachu, so it might be a little big on you. But do you like it?”

“It’s so warm!” Athena bubbled. “I love it!” Cole took her into his arms and tweaked her ear.

Joan took Cole’s hand in hers, and the cabin fell to silence again. Shadows danced past the window as their pokemon frolicked in the falling snow. Eris lifted off Joan’s lap with a soft sigh and alighted on the back of the chair on the other side of the parlor. Athena’s eyes drooped lower and lower, and she was soon sleeping. Cole smiled as he smoothed her fur down. Prometheus blew smoke rings from his nostrils that drifted lazily up to the ceiling. Feste mumbled snatches of Shakespeare from his perch.

Joan looked at the mirror above the fireplace. “Oh, there goes Cirrus. He’s got Sander on his back. You think they would hate the snow, being what they are, but… ah, they look like they’re having fun.” Cole watched as the reflections of the Altaria and Roserade swooped into view. Thor and Shadowfax, their Zebstrika and Rapidash, galloped past the window, Shadowfax’s mane alight. Keldeo romped behind them, calling out for them to wait up.

“It’s been one hell of a year,” Cole said.

“It was a big year,” Joan replied. “We’ve done so much. The end of the Quest, the Edge of the World, and everything that came after. You and your writing…”

“And your baking.”

“Oh, that, it’s just a hobby. You know that.”

“But you’re good at it. You’ll make us all fat, fat, fat.”

Joan playfully poked a finger into Cole’s stomach. “You could do with putting on a few extra pounds, love.”

Cole grinned. “Bulk up a bit before our next adventure?”

“And what will our next adventure be?”

“Who knows? It won’t be an adventure if we see it coming. But a new year is starting, and after this one, who knows what it will bring? Fate is going to have to work extra hard to top this past one.” Cole laughed and gave Joan’s hand a squeeze. “But I wouldn’t mind staying home with you for a little while, either.”

Joan nodded towards the tree. “Eris, get the present. Can you carry it on your own?”

The Banette nodded and made an elegant dive off the back of the chair, returning to the couch with a nondescript box wrapped in green and gold paper. “For you,” Joan said, pressing it into Cole’s hands.

Cole smiled and drew a small box from his shirt pocket. “And this is for you.”

Joan hefted it in one hand. “What could it be? No, wait, you first.”

Cole shrugged and quickly tore the paper from the box. He pulled aside the tissue paper and revealed three books. “Mythology of the Ancient World?” he cried. “Renault’s text? Arceus, where did you find this? There were only a few hundred printed. What’s this, let’s see.” His eyes went wide. “An atlas of Sidhe? Where did you… I’ve never even heard of this. And the complete work of Charles Dickens too? Leather embossed covers, gilt edged pages? This must have been so expensive…”

“We can afford a little indulgence every once in a while.”

Cole could only smile as he flipped through the illuminated book of mythology. “Open yours. I hope you like it.”

Joan pulled the top of the box and gasped. “Cole, where did you find the money for this?” She lifted the diamond necklace from the velvet lining and inspected it. “You must have paid a fortune.”

“It was worth it,” Cole said. “To see you smile.”

Joan squeezed his hand. “Romantic rhetoric aside, how on earth did you afford it?”

The Firebrand sighed. “I sold the villa. The one in Undella Town. We didn’t use it at all last summer, and it was more lucrative to sell it than rent it. After they finished the Marine Tube, the town changed. It’s not as relaxed as it used to be. Too built up. We made enough to pay off all our debts, with plenty left over.”

“That’s amazing! We… We can finance your next book!”

“We could,” Cole replied. “But I thought we might donate most of it. The royalties of the memoir might cover the production of the novels. There are people out there who need it more than us. Ecological charities that are trying to repair the places destroyed in the Omega War. I… I’m partially responsible for that.”

“It’s your money, love. Whatever you think you need to do, do it.”

“But your opinion matters. If you think we should…”

“No, no, I agree with you. We have plenty of time to plan for our future. But we’ve dedicated our lives to doing what’s best for the world, and this might be it right now. Not everything is fighting battles and taking down madmen. Helping to repair the world after the wars, yes, that’s a noble goal.”

“Thank you. I just… I needed to know what you thought.” He gave her a brief but firm hug. “Here, let me help you put that necklace on.” Cole fastened the clasp and pointed to the mirror. “See how it looks.”

Joan stood and inspected her reflection. She placed a hand on her collarbone, just above the sparkling silver and diamonds. “It doesn’t really match the t-shirt and jeans.”

“Maybe we can spend New Year’s in Castelia, do something formal? I think there’s a charity gala somewhere…”

Joan smiled as she glanced at Cole in the mirror. “A night of dancing with you and drinking someone else’s fancy wine? I think I’d like that.”

Joan took off the necklace and gingerly placed it back in the box. She settled back down next to Cole on the couch and flicked on the television. “Oh, It’s a Wonderful Life! I love this movie!”

They sat and watched George Bailey and his life changing Solstice miracle. “The black and white adds charm to the movie,” Prometheus observed. “I don’t think it would be half as good if it were in color.”

By the time the movie ended, the other pokemon frolicking outside had mostly retreated back inside the cabin set aside for their lodging. A few still lingered in the center of the gym complex, at the base of the stone tower. Cole stretched his stiff legs. “Fancy a moonlight stroll?”

Joan laughed. “Oh, no. Not me. It’s cold out there.”

Prometheus stood with a groan. “I’ll go. And keep you out of trouble, brother.”

Cole grinned and shooed Feste off the coatrack. He donned his duster and held the door for his Charizard. The two passed by Masamune and Thor. The Samurott inclined his head. “Happy Solstice!”

“Happy Solstice to you too,” Prometheus replied. “The pups all snug in the bed, waiting for Father Solstice?”

“We finally tired them out enough for Scatty to get them asleep.”

Cole ran his hand through Thor’s mane. “And you, my friend?”

The Zebstrika sneezed. “I’m not going to be out here much longer. Damn cold, it is.”

“You just need a thicker skin,” Masamune joked.

“I was made for the southern steppes, it doesn’t get half as cold as it does up north.” Thor stamped his hoof against the ground. “If you need any gift ideas for next year, get me an electric blanket.” He cantered off to the cabin the pokemon slept in, nudging the door open with his nose. Masamune and Cole shared a grin.

“You got him the blanket, didn’t you?” Prometheus chuckled.

“He’s been complaining about it since autumn,” Masamune said. “Of course we took the hint.” He yawned widely. “Well, I should be off too. Remember, Father Solstice won’t come if you’re awake.” He winked and trudged off after Thor.

Prometheus and Cole walked to the edge of the Autumn Forest. Even in winter, the trees still retained some of their scarlet and gold leaves. The boughs were blanketed in snow. The Charizard swished his tail back and forth, casting light on the path. Cole ran his hand along the dragon’s vertebrae right where the wings joined the spine. “Joan was right,” Prometheus murmured. “It has been a big year for us.”

“I know. I’m glad of it. It was… it was a really good year.”

Prometheus nudged Cole and gave a toothy grin. “Did you write your letter to Father Solstice?”

The Firebrand sighed. “No, of course not. We both know he isn’t real. I mean, he’s great for Athena and the pups, and the other younger pokemon. And I like the ideal of him, but… well, he’s not real.”

“Write it as an exercise. It helped me.”

“What?”

The Charizard pressed his forehead against Cole’s. “To capture that magic of the holiday we felt when we were younger. Write a letter to Father Solstice. Trust me. I did.”

“What did you ask for?”

“A smile. A smile from everyone I know. So far, he’s delivered.”

Cole ran his hand along Prometheus’ jawbone and grinned. “All right, all right.” He dug through his pockets for the notepad and pencil he carried around to jot down ideas. He flipped through for a blank page. “What to write…”

“Start as you would any letter. Say hello.”

Cole shrugged. “Dear Father Solstice… Do you remember me? I sat on your knee. I spoke to you of childhood fantasies. Well, I’m all grown up now. But I still need help somehow. I’m not a child, but my heart still can dream. So here's my lifelong wish, my grown-up Solstice list. Not for myself but for a world in need…

“No more lives torn apart, that wars would never start, and that time will heal all hearts. I wish that everyone would have a friend, and right would always win. That’s my grown up Solstice list.”

Cole tore the sheet out of the notebook and folded it in half. “What is this illusion we call youth? Maybe it’s only in our blind belief that we can find the truth.”

Prometheus laid a claw on Cole’s shoulder. “Now you have to send it. You still remember how?”

Cole nodded and recited the old tradition. “You burn the letters, and the smoke wafts to Father Solstice at the North Pole. He divines the smoke and writes down all the wishes in his ledger.” Prometheus brought his tail around and Cole held the letter over the flame at the tip. It caught along the edges of the paper, and in moments the ash was drifting on the wind.

“So?” his faithful Charizard asked. “Did it help at all?”

Cole smiled. “A little, I think.”

“It’s all a matter of believing in the magic,” Prometheus said.

“Well, if there’s ever been one thing I’ve believed in, it’s magic and miracles.”

The dragon snapped out his wings. “Good. Now let’s go home. You’ll catch a cold if I keep you out here any longer, and Joan will never let me live it down.”

Cole mounted up on Prometheus’s back, and the Charizard beat his mighty wings once, twice, three times. They rose up above the mostly-bare trees and drifted beneath the stars and moon for a long time. “The night is so silent,” Prometheus murmured. “The snow makes everything so beautiful.” They looped around the Flare Gym twice before Prometheus dropped down in front of Cole’s door.

“Do you… do you want to sleep in here tonight?” Cole asked.

The dragon laughed. “Oh no, if I slept in front of the hearth, Father Solstice might trip over me.” He brushed his forehead against Cole’s again. “Besides, the other pokemon like cuddling up to me on nights like this. I keep them warm.”

Cole wrapped his arms around Prometheus’s neck. “Happy Solstice, brother dear.”

“Happy Solstice to you, Cole.”

With that, the Charizard swept across the center square of the compound and vanished into the far cabin. Cole entered his own cabin, and saw Joan had waited up for him. She met him at the door and helped him out of his coat. The dark-haired woman brushed her lips over his. “Happy Solstice, darling,” Cole murmured.

He picked the still-sleeping Athena up from the couch as Joan banked the fire. The couple retreated into their bedroom. They pulled the warm, heavy blanket over them to dispel the worst of winter’s chill, and Athena curled up in the crook of their intertwined arms. Joan stole a final goodnight kiss before falling to sleep.

Cole lay awake a short while longer, relishing the silence of the world around them. Snowflakes spiraled past the darkened window just over Joan’s shoulder, and Cole smiled as he watched them slowly descend. Moments before he drifted off, he heard a faint noise on the cabin roof.

Sleigh bells.[/spoil]

Joanie

Well, only two things I can think of to say to that, Feral.
1) It is WEIRD to see my name in there, and
2) Pretty good little ficlet.

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
Well, only two things I can think of to say to that, Feral.
1) It is WEIRD to see my name in there, and
2) Pretty good little ficlet.

Now see, that's what happens when you dissapear for eternity, you lose the rights to your name...

I was kinda waiting for this to happen in the last rp: "jo, I'd like for you to meet Joan. Joan, this is Jo."

technically speaking, he named the character for Joan of Arc, and just happened to be duplicated names, but i was very much waiting for that little instance to occur.

Joanie

Now see, that's what happens when you dissapear for eternity, you lose the rights to your name...

I was kinda waiting for this to happen in the last rp: "jo, I'd like for you to meet Joan. Joan, this is Jo."

technically speaking, he named the character for Joan of Arc, and just happened to be duplicated names, but i was very much waiting for that little instance to occur.
Oh, I know and I'm not complaining, but ... still.
And that would probably have been amusing if it had happened in the rp.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Truth to tell, I was waiting for that opportunity as well. Too bad it never came up.

pin

Hello there NCTH member,gym leaders and Elite Four. My Name is Pink. I'm new to the forums but have been lurking them for a long time especially this club. I've read most of your fanfics and think they're amazing! I'll get straight to the point: my I join you?

Firebrand

Indomitable
Of course you may, we love getting new faces!

And speaking of fanfics: Guys, it's nomination season again for the fanfic awards. There was some really awesome writing coming out of this group this year, so make sure we get our voices heard!

ThePhoenixarisen9

Blazing Spirit
Phoenix is back from his hiatus! Hey, guys! Looks like the NCTH has been doing well since I left, which is always good. Speaking of, it looks like we got some new members and events and such. If anybody can get me up to speed in a pm, it would be greatly appreciated.

To say what I've been doing:

I've started taking piano lessons. I've been playing through my old pokemon games (I'm on sapphire right now), as well as white 2, and I've been playing Black ops 2 (Gamertags, anybody?). I also have had school and homework, and football and choir commitments. Plus, I took a short break from pokemon. Nevertheless, I'm back.

To quote Ulysses (somewhat):

Come, my friends. 'Tis not too late to seek newer pokemon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.