• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Non-competitive trainer's hangout mk. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
Hello there NCTH member,gym leaders and Elite Four. My Name is Pink. I'm new to the forums but have been lurking them for a long time especially this club. I've read most of your fanfics and think they're amazing! I'll get straight to the point: my I join you?

Welcome to the club, officially now!

Phoenix is back from his hiatus! Hey, guys! Looks like the NCTH has been doing well since I left, which is always good. Speaking of, it looks like we got some new members and events and such. If anybody can get me up to speed in a pm, it would be greatly appreciated.

To say what I've been doing:

I've started taking piano lessons. I've been playing through my old pokemon games (I'm on sapphire right now), as well as white 2, and I've been playing Black ops 2 (Gamertags, anybody?). I also have had school and homework, and football and choir commitments. Plus, I took a short break from pokemon. Nevertheless, I'm back.

To quote Ulysses (somewhat):

Come, my friends. 'Tis not too late to seek newer pokemon.

And welcome back to you!

It's always a great thing when new and old faces come by.

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
And in other news, proving I'm older than most of ya'll, I'm yoasting 21 today. But not too hard, cause I have to work tonight...

Firebrand

Indomitable
Thank you very much, sir.

So, I saw there was an open spot in the e4. Can anybody fill me in on that? Who left?

Well, Gokuzaru left as Rock gym leader. I think that we're set for e4 though. I just made the provision that anyone who wanted to battle me for my symbol the next few weeks could.

Wartiger97

The Forester
I'm sorry for not be active, but I'm back now... Seems like I missed a good bit too.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
And in other news, proving I'm older than most of ya'll, I'm yoasting 21 today. But not too hard, cause I have to work tonight...

Thanks for making me feel like a dinosaur.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Uh... yeah? Fire fox for a starter, one that's shaping up to be fire/psychic? It's basically an Athena that I can bring into wifi matches. How can this not be perfection?

Also, as I was saying in the fb group, one does not simply NOT call this legendary the Night Walker...

226662_10200455073007608_276767712_n.jpg
268412_10200455074767652_1408987155_n.jpg

(trivia: The American version of Princess Mononoke was written by Neil Gaiman, who is on my ever-growing list of author idols)

But in all seriousness, I've seen rumors tossed around that the legends for this gen will be based off Norse mythology and the creatures around Yggdrasil, and we all know how much your favorite Firebrand detests old myths and legends...

Charze

Always flyin'
Hello all! I know I really don't post much, but I check in from time to time. I'm really excited for Gen 6, and now my 3DS has more purpose :D At first, I really like the Y legendary, but I'm still very intriguied by the X legend. Any ideas on these?

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
Hello all! I know I really don't post much, but I check in from time to time. I'm really excited for Gen 6, and now my 3DS has more purpose :D At first, I really like the Y legendary, but I'm still very intriguied by the X legend. Any ideas on these?

They both seem really cool. I can't really tell what type the X will be... I'm guessing that at least one of the types for Y will be flying.

Anyway, the starters look pretty good too. Maybe the fire one, which I'm definitely using for my first play through, won't be fighting this time. I guess if it is I could use it in my gym, but is it really worth it? Just so the Vulpix/Fennekin comparisons stop, I'm hoping it keeps just one tail, hahaha

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
They both seem really cool. I can't really tell what type the X will be... I'm guessing that at least one of the types for Y will be flying.

Anyway, the starters look pretty good too. Maybe the fire one, which I'm definitely using for my first play through, won't be fighting this time. I guess if it is I could use it in my gym, but is it really worth it? Just so the Vulpix/Fennekin comparisons stop, I'm hoping it keeps just one tail, hahaha

Funny, my first thought was OMG A FLAREON THAT CAN ACTUALLY HIT!

I'm toying with the idea of this playthrough being done as Janie, not Glover, but then I run into probs with Mah gym and I'm really not one for dual gaming, so I dunno.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
Funny, my first thought was OMG A FLAREON THAT CAN ACTUALLY HIT!

I'm toying with the idea of this playthrough being done as Janie, not Glover, but then I run into probs with Mah gym and I'm really not one for dual gaming, so I dunno.

HAHAHA, it does look like a new Flareon! (Plot twist: That's the new Eeveelution!)

Firebrand

Indomitable
I was talking in the Legendary discussion yesterday about what the legends might be inspired by for this region. Most fans seem to think that they'll be Norse, if only because some early responder said "OMFG, Xerneas is in front of a tree, it must be Yggdrasil!!1!1!!!" and other people started filling in the gaps. As cool as that would be... I think that may not be the case. See, if the region is based off France, as what seems to be the case, then that means it was in territory that was decidedly Celtic, and not remotely Nordic. So I think that Xerneas is a nod to Cernunnous, the Celtic Horned God, an embodiment of life, nature and male fertility (okay, maybe not so much the last one in a kids' game...). Cernunnous had many aspects throughout Europe, everything from Lugh of the Long Spear, Herne the Hunter, the Green Man, and of course, the European stag.

I think the theory carries weight considering the spread of a horned deity throughout Europe, and the only reason we know Cernunous's attributed name is through the Pillar of the Boatmen, which is an ancient stone relic that is a remnant from Roman-occupied Gaul. Guess what's now on the land the township where the pillar is from occupied? You guessed it, Paris. What a lot of people don't realize is that yes, while many Celts did cross the sea to Ireland, and many Celtic traditions took root there, the Celts were a really widespread race that covered most of western Europe (hence the countless depictions of Cernunnous in neolithic art). So, when I see a majestic stag-creature in a natural, idyllic setting, especially with French overtones, I'm going to think Cernunnous. And then, of course, there's the name's phonetic reading, whose similarities speak for itself.

As to Yvetal, that was a bit harder to bridge. However, after a bit of thought, I realized it could be a parallel to the Morrigan, a Celtic crow goddess, with ties to war, death and winter. Because Yvetal has a much more chaotic appearance than Xerneas does, one can draw the connection between war and death, while Xerneas has the aspect of life and nature. The Morrigan is from a "later" pantheon of Celtic deities, when things became a little more personified and less of a natural spirit thing, but I still think the theory carries some weight.

So, what do you guys think? Yggdrasil and Norse mythology, or Celtic?

And so, his babbling mythological rant concluded, the Firebrand ran back to his corner of books and began murmuring incomprehensibly over them and all was as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.