• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Non-competitive trainer's hangout mk. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
I was talking in the Legendary discussion yesterday about what the legends might be inspired by for this region. Most fans seem to think that they'll be Norse, if only because some early responder said "OMFG, Xerneas is in front of a tree, it must be Yggdrasil!!1!1!!!" and other people started filling in the gaps. As cool as that would be... I think that may not be the case. See, if the region is based off France, as what seems to be the case, then that means it was in territory that was decidedly Celtic, and not remotely Nordic. So I think that Xerneas is a nod to Cernunnous, the Celtic Horned God, an embodiment of life, nature and male fertility (okay, maybe not so much the last one in a kids' game...). Cernunnous had many aspects throughout Europe, everything from Lugh of the Long Spear, Herne the Hunter, the Green Man, and of course, the European stag.

I think the theory carries weight considering the spread of a horned deity throughout Europe, and the only reason we know Cernunous's attributed name is through the Pillar of the Boatmen, which is an ancient stone relic that is a remnant from Roman-occupied Gaul. Guess what's now on the land the township where the pillar is from occupied? You guessed it, Paris. What a lot of people don't realize is that yes, while many Celts did cross the sea to Ireland, and many Celtic traditions took root there, the Celts were a really widespread race that covered most of western Europe (hence the countless depictions of Cernunnous in neolithic art). So, when I see a majestic stag-creature in a natural, idyllic setting, especially with French overtones, I'm going to think Cernunnous. And then, of course, there's the name's phonetic reading, whose similarities speak for itself.

As to Yvetal, that was a bit harder to bridge. However, after a bit of thought, I realized it could be a parallel to the Morrigan, a Celtic crow goddess, with ties to war, death and winter. Because Yvetal has a much more chaotic appearance than Xerneas does, one can draw the connection between war and death, while Xerneas has the aspect of life and nature. The Morrigan is from a "later" pantheon of Celtic deities, when things became a little more personified and less of a natural spirit thing, but I still think the theory carries some weight.

So, what do you guys think? Yggdrasil and Norse mythology, or Celtic?

And so, his babbling mythological rant concluded, the Firebrand ran back to his corner of books and began murmuring incomprehensibly over them and all was as it should be.

I wish that I knew more than I did on these myths. (I guess now would be a good opportunity!) In regards to what you said, I'm leaning toward Celtic. One aspect that hasn't been approached yet is the giver and taker of lives. Life is about as big as some of the other box legendaries, and genders could be one idea that the names refer to. So, with that being said, Xerneas could be the one who creates life, while Yvetal could be the alter ego, the destroyer of this life, death.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Though I think Death is a little bit of a heavy concept for a Pokemon game, or at least the overarching idealism, I do see them as something like that. Unfortunately, Celtic myths aren't really good on the whole dichotomy of life and death thing (but then, neither are the Norse, so...). Cernunnous is as much a god of life as he is of death, and even then god is the wrong word and...
*fifteen minutes of theoretical babble cut for your convenience*
... which means that Xerneas as Cernunnous would make a lot of sense as a guardian of nature, and since he has been depicted in almost Edenic settings. Due to the geography of the supposed region, his being the Green Man of the forest would make a lot of sense. And the Morrigan, while being a harbringer of death, is also more closely associated with chaos, i.e. the chaos of the battleground. But Cernunnous also represents the unpredictability of nature. I think I just need to know more about these legendaries, because they have the opportunity to be crazy deep and compelling.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
Though I think Death is a little bit of a heavy concept for a Pokemon game, or at least the overarching idealism, I do see them as something like that. Unfortunately, Celtic myths aren't really good on the whole dichotomy of life and death thing (but then, neither are the Norse, so...). Cernunnous is as much a god of life as he is of death, and even then god is the wrong word and...
... which means that Xerneas as Cernunnous would make a lot of sense as a guardian of nature, and since he has been depicted in almost Edenic settings. Due to the geography of the supposed region, his being the Green Man of the forest would make a lot of sense. And the Morrigan, while being a harbringer of death, is also more closely associated with chaos, i.e. the chaos of the battleground. But Cernunnous also represents the unpredictability of nature. I think I just need to know more about these legendaries, because they have the opportunity to be crazy deep and compelling.

Yeah, death is a heavy concept for Pokemon. Maybe they'll take the game differences to the max in this. In one game have a lush forest and in another have something harsher, like a desert. That's is a huge difference, but I guess it could happen. Maybe the area where the box legend is found. I could also see both gen. 5 trios appear, the musketeers in X with Xerneas since they seem to be trying to protect serenity and the genies in Y with Yveltal because they are more driven to harsh conditions.

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
Death might be too heavy, but between Giratina's Hades inspired underworld and the OMNOMNOMivorous Kyurem that basically possesed Zek/Resh, there's certainly room for them to pull it off. I'm curious where you're hearing about the French overtones, but those threads move goo quickly for thetime i jave to read so I may have missed something. It may end being that both are right, and that Nintendo takes a blend of european based cultures. The Yggdrasil myth deer is about pooping out the leaves of the tree of life and spreading new life, so mashing that into a fertility god, w en though it'll send a million aspiring lorists into unassailin, tortous, depression, isn't that ;083;

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
Death might be too heavy, but between Giratina's Hades inspired underworld and the OMNOMNOMivorous Kyurem that basically possesed Zek/Resh, there's certainly room for them to pull it off. I'm curious where you're hearing about the French overtones, but those threads move goo quickly for thetime i jave to read so I may have missed something. It may end being that both are right, and that Nintendo takes a blend of european based cultures. The Yggdrasil myth deer is about pooping out the leaves of the tree of life and spreading new life, so mashing that into a fertility god, w en though it'll send a million aspiring lorists into unassailin, tortous, depression, isn't that ;083;

Maybe a blend would work, but that could possibly be two generations worth of legendary Pokemon hypothetically if they focus on one. They probably could find a way to interpret death, or something close, in a way that would be appropriate for the main fan base of the series if they wanted to, seeing as how they have made some of the other legends, like you said. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Anyway, it sure has been a while, but I have added a new chapter (Operation Mossdeep) of Maelstrom. So please, if anyone has a few minutes and could leave a review too, it would be very much appreciated.

dracoburn

Lance's protege
I was on Serebii combing the archives of my poor, neglected fan fiction for some stuff to share with someone I'm trying to impress, and I figured I should stop by and say hi! I assure you guys, I have not forgotten about this group, I just do most of my watching of it from Facebook. Going back to Gunnison tomorrow, but I spent a lot of this break getting a decent battling team set up on White 2. If my insane schedule doesn't cripple me next semester, I'll be happy to battle. Pester me on Facebook if you're interested!

Ryker

Im back :D
Would I be able to join?

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
So am I the only one who vastly prefers Triple Battles to any of the others? What's everyone's favorite kind of battle and why?

I like Triple because I feel it adds a LOT more variety and thought to battling. It gives the players a slew of options on every turn, and gives me a sense of, I dunno, "teamwork" in my party. Like my pokemon aren't just individuals getting sent out to do a specific job; they have to cover for each other and try to work around each others' weaknesses. But it seems like no one else enjoys Triples.

RocketToTheMoon

I like all 3 inds of battles: singles, doubles and triples. It's fun coming up with combos for attacks when you have multiple Pokemon on the field.

And I'm a little confused by the whole discussion about "death" abve, but my thoughts on it relating to Pokemon: they don't go together well. I mean, Lavender Town seemed so out of place in RBGY. It didn't fit in with the whole "kids' game" rep. I think Darkrai was less about death and more about wreaking havoc on the living, whereas Giratina...yeah, I have no excuse for him.

Charze

Always flyin'
So am I the only one who vastly prefers Triple Battles to any of the others? What's everyone's favorite kind of battle and why?

I like Triple because I feel it adds a LOT more variety and thought to battling. It gives the players a slew of options on every turn, and gives me a sense of, I dunno, "teamwork" in my party. Like my pokemon aren't just individuals getting sent out to do a specific job; they have to cover for each other and try to work around each others' weaknesses. But it seems like no one else enjoys Triples.

I also like triple battles, but at the same time I think some things about it are annoying, like how if they're down to one Pokemon, and their guy is on the end, my guy on the other end can't attack it :\

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master

I have to say that triple battles are probably my least favorites. I feel like what I always need is on the opposite side of where it is needed. That is probably why I like Rotation battles. To me those have a huge amount of planning that you need to go through, while still having access to all of one's Pokemon at once. Plus, I like the suspense of not knowing what the opponent will do and having to guess.

Anyway, does anyone think that we will get a new battle style? Apparently Masuda has said something about an innovative new battle mechanic in these new games.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Rotation for me. Rotation is , more than any other battle style, like a chess match. Not only do you have to prepare for any eventuality for yourself, you also must consider what your opponent will do. "Should I switch in a pokemon? It could handle the one they're using now, but what if they switch?" It's all about trying to outguess and outmaneuver your opponent. Not to mention, it's easy to set up smaller things, like for example, having an Air Balloon on a pokemon. If it isn't in the lead spot, the opponent won't know until they attack. In a fire gym, that immunity could mean the difference between victory and defeat if on something with lower defenses, like a Chandelure or Volcarona.

Short of sending out all six pokemon at once (which is ridiculous), I can't think of any other battle style that could be introduced. Now, that doesn't mean we can't have one, just that I can't fathom it. Rotation came as a huge surprise to me, I never would have thought of it. Anything is possible, really.

Also, this is my last week at home. I go back to school on Monday the 21st. If people want to battle with me in the interim, let me know now.

RocketToTheMoon

Maybe a new style where you send out one Poke, it attacks once, then it gets withdrawn and your next one attacks once. So after 6 turns, you've used your whole team.

dracoburn

Lance's protege
I think Doubles are still my favorite, and I run my league team accordingly. However, with the introduction of BW2, I've gotten more into Triples and Rotations, particularly the former. I love the ability to stick my Crobat in the middle and two Earthquakers on either side, or my Arcanine with Heat Wave, or my Samurott and get the Crobat to Fly.. So many possibilities to kill two birds with one stone! What I love about Doubles, though, is the ability to pair up any of my various flying types who know Earthquake and just destroy anything that isn't above the ground. Especially with Moxie as an option.. Tag battles in the Subway are fun, too. If Hil-whoever isn't pulling their own weight, I'll go ahead and Earthquake their Pokemon to death, too. Sometimes that additional Moxie boost is more valuable than their companionship.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I like the setup on triple. I tend to almost always guezs wrong and have my team ent out so my opponent has an advantage, but oh well... that is part of the game! I have actually never played rotation outside of in-game battles... it seems too much like a gimmicky version of single battles. Maybe i will give it a shot some time.

Doubles are all right and before triple was introduced, it was my preferred battle style.

Nox_Invictus

Frozen Cold
I'm popping on to let you all know that I'm still around. As with Dracoburn, I usually watch the proceedings of the League from Facebook. My team is being bred and trained, but I am available for battles for fun, as my badge isn't exactly accessible.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Trying to complete the regional dex on White 2... Can anyone breed me a Panpour, Spheal and Buneary?

Status
Not open for further replies.