• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Non-Gen1 Starting Trainers

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
I'm curious. If you didn't start with gen1 what gen did you start with? Do you consider that gen nostalgic as us gen1ers (not those who ONLY like gen1 and completely disregard anything after) do? Is your favorite pokemon your first starter or at least from that region (including past gen mons in that region who would be new to you)?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
My first Pokémon game was Pearl Version, and Platinum is my personal favorite game to this day. However, even though that's where I started playing Pokémon at age ten, I had been a fan of the franchise as a whole for much longer, as long as I can remember, in fact. I do look back at Sinnoh with nostalgia, but not an extreme amount more than Hoenn, Johto, or Kanto. My first starter and first ever Pokémon was Turtwig, but it's only my fifth favorite starter Pokémon, behind Charmander, Froakie, Rowlet, and Torchic. My overall favorite Pokémon is Giratina, which, while it is from Sinnoh, I decided it was my favorite before I ever touched a Pokémon game, so Pearl Version had little influence on that, though, Platinum's story and introduction of Origin Form did cement its place. As far as overall regions go, Sinnoh is about tied for my favorite with Hoenn. To summarize, I would say that Sinnoh and Gen IV as a whole was important to me, but not so much so that it is held above all else.

JW1004

My first game was Blue and I loved it, but I was so young and didn't understood much of English, so eventually Gen II has a bigger nostalgia factor for me, since I understood the games better and the sprites actually began to look like the anime and official art around that gen that it left a bigger mark on me than gen I. Two of my favourite Pokémon are Eevee and Chikorita so one of them is the starter from Johto.

landipan

I played a few Pokemon games through out the years, very casually(they weren't my games),but I would consider gen6 X to be the gen I really got into the Pokemon games, so I have a lot of love for my trainer in that one, and for my starter Fennekin, and I really love a lot of Pokemon from that gen.

Ask

cringelord
I started with Pokemon Yellow, but I got HGSS shortly after. Typhlosion, my starter from HGSS, is still one of my favorites, but not my absolute favorite. I still love Pikachu, but not nearly as much as Typhlosion. My favorite is Tentacruel, but it's not really because it's from RBY.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I've loved pokemon since the first episode of the anime aired in america. I didn't actually play the games until sapphire, back in gen 3.

Cat's Eye Draco

My first game was a secondhand Silver version, closely followed by Sapphire a few months later and, eventually, LeafGreen. Since I didn't get a DS until after Platinum came out, those three were the only Pokemon games I had to play for a good five years or so (aside from my brothers' Ruby, FireRed, and Red Rescue Team, anyway), so I'd say Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn have the most nostalgia for me. (Johto and Hoenn probably more so than Kanto, to be honest.)

As for Pokemon, my first starter was a Chikorita, but it's not my favorite starter or my favorite Pokemon (though I am fond of that line). Overall Sinnoh and Kalos introduced the most Pokemon that became favorites of mine (including my very favorite, Glaceon), and Gen V are probably my favorite games in general (with my favorite starter, Snivy), closely followed by VI and IV. All in all I don't think nostalgia for Gens II and III influences me all that much. I pretty much had my fill of them during the several straight years I had nothing but them to play. xD

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
My first Pokemon game was FireRed and I picked Squirtle as my starter, but I like Mudkip, Oshawott, Charmander, Turtwig, and Rowlet much better than it. I also don't like Kanto nor its characters much at all, but I like a good number of Generation I Pokemon, namely Arcanine, Ninetales, Starmie, Lapras, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Raichu, Aerodactyl, Snorlax, Gyarados, Gengar, Sandslash, Articuno, and Moltres. My favourite generations are 3d and 4th, since this is where the series introduced a bunch of new mechanics without relying too much on older stuff, and the Hoenn and Sinnoh regions remain my favourite to this day.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My first game ever was Pokemon Sapphire at age ~10, on the GBA. I didn't really do teams back then, I just stomped things with my starter. Which was Swampert. By Gen 4 I started getting teams, and Gen 5 saw my first full six teams like Arceus intended.