• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Noob making a team. whatcha think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiseumhigh

Ive never considered going competitive until recently, and i did alot of homework before considering what to use in a team, but i wanted something i made. This is most likely what imma be using but id like feedback before everything is set in stone.

Sceptile-Mega
Item: Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Synthesis

Aggron
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Scizor
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Double Hit
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Talonflame
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Flamethrower
- Brave Bird
- Sunny Day

Lanturn
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Naive Nature
- Heal Bell
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Thunder Wave

Rayquaza-Mega
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
- Dragon Ascent
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed

SATB

Modest nature makes your talonflame's brave bird weaker. There isn't much merit to sunny day + flamethrower, so replace it with flare blitz and a utility move probably roost.

Double hit hits nothing in particular harder for your scizor, try give it superpower instead.

Naive nature hinders lanturn. If you want it to be taking hits, bold or calm is the way to go.

Mega Rayquaza is banned from competitive play.

Hope this helps and let me know if there are any specifics you need help on!

Raiseumhigh

Gengar
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave

What im considering replacing rayquaza with. Although kinda hasty, i just knew i was physical heavy so i needed something to hit hard S attack wise.

MegaMeganium

Dropping Bloom Dooms
About that Gengar, pack a Timid or Modest nature on it, replace the Sash with a Life Orb, and the Gengar is set. Another thing, pack a Shell Bell on that Talonflame instead of Leftovers, as Brave bird makes you get 1/3 recoil, and Shell Bell heals you by 1/8 AFTER the recoil has been inflicted. It provides a better healing agent. And the ability, pack Gale Wings instead of Flame Body, it works MUCH better. As for the moves... Flamethrower and Sunny Day aren't optimal, and Modest actually WEAKENS your Brave Bird. Replace Flamethrower with Flare Blitz, and you COULD keep Sunny Day, but I recommend that on support Talomflame. Replace it with Roost, because priority Roost is good. Change the Modest nature into an Adamant one.I can get you an Adamant Talonflame. Send me a PM and we can talk about it.

XXD17

Draco rex
A few things...your team literally has no special attackers...the lanturn doesn't count with it being a wall and all...here's what I'd do. First off, any generic team is as follows: 1 special attacker, 1 physical attacker, 1 special wall, 1 physical wall. The other two Pokemon are up to you.

1) change your mega sceptile into a special attacker...giga drain/ leaf storm, d-pulse, focus blast and HP fire or rock....if it MUST be physical, then you want drain punch or EQ (maybe rock slide) not synthesis.

2) no amount of training will make an aggron fast. Unless you are running scarf jolly, it's not out-speeding Pokemon that are designed to be fast. It's just overall better to run max attack and max Hp with AV and 4 offensive moves if you want it to be an attacker or you can keep SR and the sitrus. The better choice would be to run aggron as a physical wall with max special defense and hp. I'd run SR, EQ, T-wave, and roar. If it REALLYwere up to me though, I'd drop this aggron because you already have steel coverage with scizor and that this aggron doesn't complement the other half of your core.

3) Scizor is also not fast. It's much better investing in bulk rather than speed. Plus, you already have priority in bullet punch already so speed isn't really an issue. I'd run max attack adamant with like 20 points in special defense and the rest in hp for a banded offensive scizor. As for the moveset, all the moves are good except double hit. That normal coverage doesn't provide you with anything significant. The much better choice would be superpower to catch steel type switch-ins like heatran. Something else you can consider is an assault vest so you can switch up your moves.

4) Talonflame is a physical attacker. Banded flame is one of the better offensive leads in the game as well. With your stat distribution, I'm assuming you want it to be an attacker. However, you have a support set that usually runs bulk. If running the bulky support set, you'll want to consider will-o-wisp, and roost. Tailwind can stay and brave bird is a must. If running and offensive set, definitely choose a physical variant. You can run band with flare blitz, brave bird, U-TURN and you can keep tailwind or go for steel wing or me-first. Also, always run gale wings. There's literally no reason not to...

5) the lanturn you have is perfect. By having it though, you are establishing a slow volt-turn core so the rest of the team has to work with it.

6) Mega rayquay is a big no-no in standard play so we won't talk about it.

Now then, there are a few things to consider. Your team as of now is extremely offensive. However, you don't have any wall-breakers besides t-flame (if physical band) or sceptile. Both of these are really frail so it's not good to rely on them too much. That's why you have to establish your core better. A core refers to the 2 defensive 'mons in your team. You have lanturn for a special wall, but where's your physical one? The only one that works is aggron, but aggron doesn't complement lanturn since it's weak to ground too and takes neutral from grass. You'll want a Pokemon that can cover lanturn' weaknesses and in turn have lanturn cover its weaknesses. One Pokemon that comes to mind is mandibuzz. It's immune to ground and resistant to grass while lanturn covers its electric and ice weaknesses. The only thing that will hit your core hard are rock moves. HOWEVER, mandibuzz can take a few super effective physical moves thanks to its amazing bulk. Fairies also hurt, but you have scizor for those things. You can run taunt, toxic, roost and foul play. Or you can also consider knock off and tailwind (instead of putting it on t-flame) Another very important move to consider is defog. If we do end up replacing mandibuzz for aggron, then you'll lose out on rocks. However, if you just change your tactic from setting up hazards to keeping hazards off the field, you should be fine. This benefits a offensive team like yours more anyways. As for the last slot, you suggested a gengar correct? Looking at gengar, it actually doesn't provide and coverage for your team. Ghost is immune to fighting and normal yet none of your Pokemon are weak to fighting. Furthermore, gengar is built to be fast and frail. You already have two Pokemon like that. For your last 'mon, I'd suggest a special tank. Something like a specs sylveon with hyper voice, hp fire, psyshock and shadow ball or an assault vest meloetta with hyper voice, shadow ball, psyshock and focus blast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.