• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Noodles: Roamin' Off (585)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I cackled when Team Rocket washed up on the beach; Jessie's hair looked fab though imo. Team Rocket stumbling upon a ramen shop and meeting Christopher from their rookie days was nice and all, but I couldn't really get into that subplot. Meowth leaving the group to make ramen and Jessie leaving to do Contests was sad though. Glad it was resolved.

JudySpell

Banned
That Shiny Metagross was awesome and the TRio breaking up again wasn't the most unique plot although I liked seeing Meowth cook noodles. 7.5/10

DatsRight

I really liked how this ep wasn't just another TR filler with Meowth's noodling skills being used as a Chekhov's gun later on.

Not just that, he's became a full on cooking artist by the time of XY, and even more fittingly, it's almost always to help Jessie with her performance efforts. I love little hidden depths that end up going a long way like that, especially since it's something that comes from Meowth's usually pathetic Pokemon skills for once.

This was a pretty good episode in terms of dynamic and character chemistry. Another good display of the trio's off clock talents and loyalty to each other. Even Jessie is surprisingly earnest and nice concerning this part between the three. Christopher was a touching character, and a brilliant ironic echo to the trio's current situation ("There's more to life than Team Rocket"). Another play on what Team Rocket could be if not for stubborn will and loyalty. I'm starting to wonder if everyone in that organisation has an existential crisis.

I loved Jessie's Pokemon actually put up a decent fight against Metagross for a while, they might have actually won if they didn't get smug.

If there's one thing that puts me off however, it's the dialogue. I don't know if it's just the English dub since I haven't found the subbed Japanese, but everything feels so wooden and over the top from the trio, even for their usual in Sinnoh (as shown in cases like Crossing Paths, they could still turn off the goofiness in other episodes). It kinda takes out the endearing story context. Brilliant moment with dub James screaming like a little girl against the Metagross though.

I agree on Ash's interactions with TR though, even the dub acting was great ("You've lost it this time..."). If they're going to do incompetent TR this is the best way to do it, by getting funny reactions from the heroes. Reminds me a bit of Sonic Boom's handling of Sonic and Eggman, where the villain is just such a pathetic attention seeker the hero has just stopped taking him personally. "Yeaaahhhh... sorry, can I just thwart you tomorrow or something?"

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Hee hee, Jessie looked good with wet hair and seeing Team Rocket split up felt kind of sad. James running off and finding that frightening shiny Metagross was intense, tho I liked how Meowth helped.

The Shiny Metagross looked really evil since it almost killed James. My favorite scene was when Jessie arrived to save James in the end. :)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I think Meowth is better off alone: he's funnier and cooler without Jessie and James. But then again, who would translate for Jessie and James, so I guess they're pretty much useless without Meowth.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Really great ep. I hated that Ol' Berate and Switch episode, and am glad they decided to remake it but without all the crappiness that plagued an otherwise good idea.

Huh this is certainly different from the other fillers. I think they could have made it a bit more sad and touching than what they have already. Metagross was awesome though; especially the part where it shoots the Ancientpower off of the cliffs.

Alloutℯ

Banned
TRio splitting up felt pointless since we all knew they'd get together again. Man, that Shiny Metagross seemed psycho since James almost died because of it.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Man, that Shiny Metagross seemed psycho since James almost died because of it.

It seems like the wild Metagross was mostly just angry cuz James had stumbled into its territory. It seemed tough and violent of course, but its behavior here just stemmed from it wanting to be left alone.

Alloutℯ

Banned
It seems like the wild Metagross was mostly just angry cuz James had stumbled into its territory. It seemed tough and violent of course, but its behavior here just stemmed from it wanting to be left alone.

Even if Metagross was sour about James entering its environment, it was still ruthless toward James and James could've easily died. But the situation was heart pounding at least.

Leonhart

Imagineer
While it saddened me to see Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu getting into such a petty fight, I knew that they'd patch things up. That savage Shiny Metagross ironically did some good since he reunited the Rocket-dan trio.

Vulpicks

I personally find Team Rocket completely awful and annoying to watch in the average ep, yet the episodes that focus on them instead of Ash are almost always wonderful, this one included. They really are amazing characters with a bad role in the series that's long past been run into the ground. In fact, it makes me wish they'd actually move on with their lives!

They really should just open a restaurant together or something (They've talked about it before). They don't need to split up to follow their dreams, but they definitely are going no where in life with the whole criminal business lol. It was heartwarming to see them get back together, but also depressing knowing that all that lies ahead of them is more and more failure.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, I now wonder why the ramen chef who knew Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu wasn't Mondo from OS. If I remember right, he used to supply the Rocket-dan with supplies off-screen.

Vulpicks

In hindsight, I now wonder why the ramen chef who knew Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu wasn't Mondo from OS. If I remember right, he used to supply the Rocket-dan with supplies off-screen.
That's who I thought it was at first! I bet he was based on him.

Daizy

I call you honey
I find this episode much more interesting than the other Team Rocket break-up episodes. Even if it's not the best episode ever, there were still good moments. And also, I loved the continuity to Meowth's former crushes.

DatsRight

Even if Metagross was sour about James entering its environment, it was still ruthless toward James and James could've easily died. But the situation was heart pounding at least.

Many Pokemon (especially wild ones) are depicted as vicious, petty little jerks who talk through attacks in the anime. I think it's sort of in that same awkward medium that a lot of cartoon animals are due to how recurrently intelligent they are portrayed. A lot of their nastier behaviour is excused as them acting on natural instincts and yet half the time they act sapient enough to know better, meaning you can interpret the more vicious ones as either just territorial beasts or gleefully murderous thugs.

Daizy

I call you honey
Was the Shiny Metagross here DP's first Shiny Pokemon? I can't remember that well, but it might've been.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Vulpicks said:
That's who I thought it was at first! I bet he was based on him.

I do think that the writers were trying to reference him here. They probably could've just introduced the real Mondo, but then again most fans didn't even know who he was since he only existed in a radio drama.

Scorbunnie

I cannot get over how James stumbled on a shiny Metagross out of the blue like that. Wish shinies in the games were that simple to find.

Jessie and Meowth going to save James made me tear up because it showed that their friendship with each other matters more than their selfish desires.