• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Normal day in London

tomjames1966

Hello, this a Rain RMT. My bro SneaselFTW said that I should post an RMT after 'proofreading' this team. So, without further ado, here is the team!

186.png

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Perish Song

A rain team can't be a rain team without an inducer, right? I chose a Bulky Attacker set. Modest to be slower and no Speed EVs to be slower than Ttar and Ninetales. Scald is for the burn and shutting down physical sweepers like Gyarados. Ice Beam is for the coverage on Grass pokemon. Focus Blast is for coverage, and Perish Song is for last-game scenarios and forcing switches. Leftovers are for healing.

073.png

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 236 HP / 228 SDef / 44 Speed
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Tentacruel, the hazard-layer of this team and tank. This is a standard set, Bulky Tank. Calm is for the Special Defense boost, as I'm not using any Physical Attacks. Scald is for the mainly for the burn chance, aswell as a good, accurate attack. Rapid Spin is for getting the hazards of my field, which completely and utterly stop my Dragonite and Scizor from working. Toxic Spikes is because of the epic poison-on-the-switch and to damage Sash, Sturdy and Multiscale Dragonite , effectively shutting them down. Protect is to get Black Sludge and Rain Dish healing. Black Sludge is for healing and damging Trick/Switcheroo pokemon.

212.png

Scizor (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Ahh, Sash SD Scizor, my very own set. Adamant is because I'll be outspeeding everything with Bullet Punch, so I should get the boost in power, right? Swords Dance is the crux of this set, skyrocketing his Attack after just one boost. Bullet Punch kills, outspeeds and generally murders everything in its path. Pursuit is for murdering stuff after seeing the Swords Dance and predicting the Bullet Punch. Superpower is for coverage. And Focus Sash is for a guaranteed (unless rocks/burn/spikes) Swords Dance boost.

598.png

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rocks
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
Power Whip is has more PP than Gyro Balll, Spikes is for hazards T- Wave is for scarfers who try to outspeed Tornadus T. Leech seed is for recovery.

641-s.png

Tornadus-T (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Ahh, Tornadus-T. The main pokemon any successful rain team has (apart from Politoed). Timid is for boosting Speed. Heat Wave is for Genesect Scizor, Ferrothorn and Forretress. Focus Blast is coverage, and partners well with Hurricane. Hurricane is incredibly overpowered and strong, with the perfect accuracy and 30% confusion rate. U-turn is for switching and predicting things that will stop my sweep and Regenerator bonus. Choice Specs is for absolutely insane power.

Thundurus-T (Agility) @Life Orb
Modest
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Agility
~ Thunder
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Focus Blast

As suggested by Soul Fly and lots of other people this is my Thundy T. I chose Modest over Timid because Agility will already boost your speed so you need high powered attacks. Focus Blast because it has high BP (at the loss of accuracy). I've tested this set and it is very effective.

Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 128 Atk / 128 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Waterfall
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Outrage

Tornadus-T (M) @ Choice Specs
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Threat List

Thunderus-T

Inportable:
Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Perish Song

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 236 HP / 228 SDef / 44 Speed
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Scizor (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

Tornadus-T (M) @ Life Orb
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Thundurus-T (M) @Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
- Agility
- Thunder
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

Thats it folks! Feel free to rate, give advice and give creative criticism!​

Last edited:

Psycho Cut

Hmm, this team has a fair few things that could be improved, namely improving it's ability to switch in and out and deal with certain threats.

Firstly, you have no electric resist! While Electric may not be as common as Dragon or something, having no resist is just asking for trouble. Jolteon, Magnezone or anything with a strong BoltBeam will really give your team a hard time. You also don't have anything to take Physical Attacks, since only Tentacruel takes them on the Special Side of the spectrum. To solve both these problems, I'd swap Dragonite out with either Gliscor or Ferrothorn (perhaps dropping Rotom and adding in both), who will allow you to address these issues. Dragonite is somewhat redundant, since Tornadus-T provides you with a powerful Special Sweeper. I'd also tweak Tentacruel's EVs a bit. I find that only 44, or even 16, Speed EVs is sufficient to allow it to outspeed anything it wants to. The rest should be dumped into HP and SDef. A favourite spread of mine is 236 HP / 228 SDef / 44 Speed. The 236 HP Evs put Tentacruel onto a leftovers number, maximising recovery through Black Sludge and Rain Dish. The 44 Speed EVs were mentioned earlier and the rest goes into SDef.

tomjames1966

Right, gotcha. Any set you recommend for Ferro? I'm a bit reluctant to put Gliscor as rain boosts his water weakness. I'll change Tentacruals Evs too.

Psycho Cut

Right, gotcha. Any set you recommend for Ferro? I'm a bit reluctant to put Gliscor as rain boosts his water weakness. I'll change Tentacruals Evs too.
I wouldn't be worrying about Gliscor in rain, since you shouldn't be keeping him in on a water attack anyway, so it doesn't matter so much.

As for Ferro, here's the set I'd run:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature (+Def, - Spd)
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef | 0 Spd IVs
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball/Spikes

So, I'd go with the standard EV Spread, since you want to be taking a few special hits as well as Physical ones. Leech Seed is excellent recovery and should never be dropped from Ferro's moveslot imo. Spikes adds more Hazards to set, which is never a bad thing. Thunder Wave I thought would be very useful as it can cripple Scarfers or really fast Pokémon that would otherwise outspeed Tornadus-T, so it gives him a much easier time. The 4th moveslot is for the attacking move of your choice. If you're going Power Whip though, you may as well run Impish and 31 Spd IVs

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Power Whip serves Ferro better than Gyro Ball, in my opinion. Better coverage and stable power, although the accuracy drop can be annoying.

And I think you meant Stealth Rock or Power Whip instead of that second Spikes xD

tomjames1966

I wouldn't be worrying about Gliscor in rain, since you shouldn't be keeping him in on a water attack anyway, so it doesn't matter so much.

As for Ferro, here's the set I'd run:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature (+Def, - Spd)
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef | 0 Spd IVs
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball/Spikes

So, I'd go with the standard EV Spread, since you want to be taking a few special hits as well as Physical ones. Leech Seed is excellent recovery and should never be dropped from Ferro's moveslot imo. Spikes adds more Hazards to set, which is never a bad thing. Thunder Wave I thought would be very useful as it can cripple Scarfers or really fast Pokémon that would otherwise outspeed Tornadus-T, so it gives him a much easier time. The 4th moveslot is for the attacking move of your choice. If you're going Power Whip though, you may as well run Impish and 31 Spd IVs

Thanks, but I'll go for Power Whip as it has more PP also it means I'm faster too.

Soul_Fly

Nice team!
Especially the SD Scizor. I always love dem SD variants....

But synergy wise you're in Deep **** if Genesect any damn fast rain sweeper comes in and starts spamming thunder/-bolt. Everything in your team is OHKO/2HKO-ed.
So why not use Thundurus-T? fills in the same special role as Tornadus (albeit, minus hurricane...).

Yes, you'll miss regenerator, so that's why I'd rather suggest set-up Agility set, since it can't switch in and out so much with stealth rocks floating around. Or if you absolutely need a fast revenge killer, you can go for the scarf set, with Volt Switch for replacing your momentum stealing U-turn, (You can also use u-turn, but stab coming off that monster 145 base SpA just pWns ****) and fantastic type coverage in general.

Here are the 2 sets for reference..

Thundurus-T (Agility) @Life Orb/Expert Belt
Timid / Modest
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Agility
~ Thunder
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Focus Blast / Grass Knot

Focus blast for the weather war with sand teams and those annoying pink blobs, or if you have trouble with Gastrodon and Ground types Grass knot will hit more with higher accuracy but lower power.

Item is upto you. Thanks to the Bolt beam combination it has, expert belt will provide nice boosts occasionally and stab thunder will murder most neutral threats anyways coming off that monster SpA stat. For reliability you can go for life orb.
Same for Nature.. If you're confident about your xwishing skills and get off that Agility then go for modest, because after +2 it outspeeds everything anyways. In this case I'd say use Expert belt, The nature boost will be enough. If you also occasionaly want to hit and run on set up sweepers or aren't sure about getting off agility, then it's imperative to use timid to outrun some very major threats like unboosted Volcarona, Salamence, etc.... in this case you'll need to use life orb to boost your power.

----------------------------
Thundurus-T (Momentum Man) @Choice Scarf
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Volt Switch/U-Turn
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast
~ Hidden Power Ice

Same bolt-beam coverage, focus blast for the annoying blobs and colt switch for momentum. I'd say keep volt switch as STAB and140+ SpA stat kills many neutral offensive poke anyways. If you have problems w/ Lati@s, celebi, and the dark/psychic bretheren, then U-turn is the more solid option. Modest is absolutely essential to revenge kill some boosted sweepers.

I personally prefer the Agility set since without regenerator, there are only so many times it can switch in if your tentacruel dies and I have successfully used it in the rain many-a-times, but scarf is effective nonetheless especially as a partner to SD Scizor.

But if you think you can handle electric in the rain, then fine... use tornadus, but be prepared for the occasional 6-0s though.

Last edited:

Ilan

OK why you use focus sash scizor.. don't underestimate his bulk he can't be easily 0HKOed specially in rain.. and I don't get what's the point of his 68 speed EVs.. also use brick break>superpower or else you will lose the boost.

Golden_Charmander

Dragon Master
I would recommend a different item other than choice specs for Tornadus. If something switches in to break your sweep, how are you going to use U-turn if you're locked into one attack? I would recommend using life orb instead, since if you switch out you gain back the hp lost from it anyway with regenerator.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
I would recommend a different item other than choice specs for Tornadus. If something switches in to break your sweep, how are you going to use U-turn if you're locked into one attack? I would recommend using life orb instead, since if you switch out you gain back the hp lost from it anyway with regenerator.

I second this. Life Orb has incredible synergy with Regenerator and is easily the best item choice for Tornadus-T

tomjames1966

OK why you use focus sash scizor.. don't underestimate his bulk he can't be easily 0HKOed specially in rain.. and I don't get what's the point of his 68 speed EVs.. also use brick break>superpower or else you will lose the boost.
I second this. Life Orb has incredible synergy with Regenerator and is easily the best item choice for Tornadus-T

As I said it's for the guaranteed SD boostand as for the speed ev's, they are just enough to outspeed a jolly, no ev's Scizor. Break Break I am considering changing to.

I like the fact that I can be locked into Hurracaine I know that what he sends in will be severely damaged or OHKOed Life Orb I feel that I don't have that assurance though.

Last edited:

stenli

Flabebes
A nice team you have over there.
First of all, I don't think Politoed needs Focus Blast at all. It's too shaky to check Ferro with and you won't even 2HKO the specially defensive ones. I suggest to use Protect as it works well with Perish Song and Tenta's TSpikes.

Next, Bug Bite is much better than Pursuit for Scizor. If you predict a switch, you can just grab another SD boost and Bullet Punch will do the rest. I think SD Scizor should be used late game when its check/counter have been defeated, at the same time, hazards are already set by your opponent leaving your Sash useless, unless you really play carefully with Tenta.

Most of pokes Heat Wave supposed to hit are 2HKOed by Hurricane or Focus Blast. I have no what move would be a good substitute as Flying + Fighting already have a great coverage but maybe HP Ice work.

Lastly, you are not getting anywhere with max speed modest Rotom-W. 176 EVs are enough to outspeed neutral Breloom and Politoed. The rest you can put on HP or SpD. :)

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I suggest switching tornadus t to thundurus t as otherwise this magnezone murders your entire team;

Magnezone @ leftovers
Magnet pull
Timid
Forgot the Ev's, it outspeeds your scizor I think
Substitute
Charge beam
Thunderbolt
Hp fire

Currently it sets up on your ferro like nothing behind a sub, at which point you will have to sac something just to break the sub. Because it should get to +2 or 3 against ferro with no problems. So if someone knows what they are doing your easily down 2 mons.

I just did damage calcs and magnezone ohko's almost your entire team with a +2 t bolt. The only exception is scizor which is out sped by zone. So you basically have to have 2/3 of these mons alive to have a chance of taking ou zone; Rotom (outspeeds but is Ohko'd), scizor, and torndus (same as rotom). This also assumes you hit with your attack. Meanwhile thundurus could absorb any tbolts, not really be threatened by hp fire (thanks to rain) and can spam focus blast

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
interesting team, first i would use toxic or even protect over focus blast since toxic can be very useful to beat gastrodon, ninetails and some other stall type pokemon.

Tentacruel is fine.

Scizor i would go with bug bite over pursuit since it can do alot of damage, f sash is fine or you could use life orb to do more damage.

ferrothorn seems fine but go to watch out for thun t since it has volt absorb and power whip can't kill it.

Tornadus-T hmm heat wave won't do much if you get rain up so unless you find it very useful i would use hp ice to ko dragons and thun t also if rain is not up and they have salmence then hp ice would come in handy.

Rotom-W seems fine to me.

overall i can see thun t being a pain since it can ko 3 of your pokemon with thunder and ofc 4 if sr is up, sp def jirachi will murder your team with thunder, anyway it's not a bad team but those pokes will give you a hard team, i rate your team around 6/10

Psycho Cut

And I think you meant Stealth Rock or Power Whip instead of that second Spikes xD
Yes, I didn't notice that the team had no Stealth Rocker, so yes, Stealth Rock would be better.

Thirded!

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
As I said it's for the guaranteed SD boostand as for the speed ev's, they are just enough to outspeed a jolly, no ev's Scizor. Break Break I am considering changing to.

And as we said your Scizor will in all probability survive anyway. It's actually reasonably bulky, especially with the rain supporting it. It'll survive just fine to get a SD boost off in the vast majority of cases. Especially if you switch it in at the right time, when you can SD on their switch.

I like the fact that I can be locked into Hurracaine I know that what he sends in will be severely damaged or OHKOed Life Orb I feel that I don't have that assurance though.

You do have that assurance though. Not a whole lot likes eating a STAB Hurricane from Tornadus unboosted. With Life Orb you still smash things, but you can change your tactics as they bring in a counter. Chansey for example can sponge your Hurricanes, but it doesn't appreciate Superpower. And it gives you the freedom to U-turn whenever you want, which is amazingly useful. I ran Specs on it for a while too, but it was just too predictable. Life Orb helped that and I've had much more success with LO over Choice.

tomjames1966

Yes, I didn't notice that the team had no Stealth Rocker, so yes, Stealth Rock would be better.

Thirded!

And as we said your Scizor will in all probability survive anyway. It's actually reasonably bulky, especially with the rain supporting it. It'll survive just fine to get a SD boost off in the vast majority of cases. Especially if you switch it in at the right time, when you can SD on their switch.

You do have that assurance though. Not a whole lot likes eating a STAB Hurricane from Tornadus unboosted. With Life Orb you still smash things, but you can change your tactics as they bring in a counter. Chansey for example can sponge your Hurricanes, but it doesn't appreciate Superpower. And it gives you the freedom to U-turn whenever you want, which is amazingly useful. I ran Specs on it for a while too, but it was just too predictable. Life Orb helped that and I've had much more success with LO over Choice.

Okay I'll change it to Life Orb because so many people have said it is better. I'll also but SR's but it means that Ferro is Taunt bait, however, playing I noticed that the only thing to taunt him was Skarm so Power Whip didn't do any good anyway.

EDIT: I've decided to replace rotom W with Thunderus T any sets would be appreciated but for now I'll just use Soul Fly's Agility one and see how it goes.

EDIT: I love Thundy, after 1 Agility he completely swept an unprepared opponent!

Last edited:

Psycho Cut

Okay I'll change it to Life Orb because so many people have said it is better. I'll also but SR's but it means that Ferro is Taunt bait, however, playing I noticed that the only thing to taunt him was Skarm so Power Whip didn't do any good anyway.

EDIT: I've decided to replace rotom W with Thunderus T any sets would be appreciated but for now I'll just use Soul Fly's Agility one and see how it goes.

EDIT: I love Thundy, after 1 Agility he completely swept an unprepared opponent!
Stealth Rock should be going over Spikes, so there's no worry about being Taunt Bait. As for Thundurus-T, I've never really used him, so I can't comment with much authority on his sets but I think that, since your team lacks a Scarfer, you could go with Scarf Thundy to revenge kill. That said, you do have Scizor, so see how it goes.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Spikes actually gives Ferrothorn a useful niche.