• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Normal Pokemon-Legendaries = Real Life Animals -Cryptids

Ampy

Light The Stars
is ho-oh based of a phoniex?

or is it moltres?

oh, and you know the dog trio? they are not dogs they are canines both cats and dogs fall under this in the animal kindom classification so i am calling them the canines.

I don't see how people can mistake Suicune for a cat.. but Raikou and Entei I can understand... cats don't have long snouts... but aren't cats classified as felines not canines?

Malakai

Heroine addict
Thunderblade12 said:
What is Lugia supposed to be?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lugia could well be the halcyon. Not the kingfisher, the mythical bird derived from Greek mythology who has the power to calm the winds and the waves. Or Ryujin, as Tyrant Tar mentioned earlier, but I do rather like my own pet theory as well.

DragonRay8 said:
they are not dogs they are canines both cats and dogs fall under this in the animal kindom classification so i am calling them the canines.

You may wish to review your taxonomy, as cats and other felidae are felines.

Ludicoconut, I agree with you that each culture has its own legends, and each Pokemon region has its own legends--and that's as far as I agree, because the cryptids that you point out are sprinkled through the 'dex with little regard to rarity of the Pokemon in question. If we're going to treat this as an exercise in world-building, rather than just saying that Nintendo went hog-wild with the Legendaries in the fourth gen, then Shinou is a more superstitious/religious region than Houen, Johto, or Kanto. (Your word choice dependent on whether you believe that the legendary Pokemon are treated as myths or whether they are revered as gods. Different regions give credence to a different theory there.)

The legends in the Pokemon world do not necessarily have to correspond to the legends in our world; while that world draws inspiration from this one by necessity it is to an extent its own culture with its own individual mythos.

Last edited:

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
What are Wynut and Wobuffet based on? I heard they are based on comedians who name escapes me is there any truth to this?

The answer to this, and most of this thread, is found using the SEARCH button, and typing:

What Pokemon are based on.

OR going to Porygandrew's page and checking the threads he's started.

The.WorkSe.Of.InfiNites

VeritatemDiesAperit
anyway, this thread about whether legendary pokemon=cryptids, common pokemon=real animals, right?

i think we've already answered that question with examples, such as:
>dunsparce, which is based on the cryptid tsuchinoko, (unless one labels dunsparce's rarity as 'legendary'), and
>abomasnow, a common pokemon in sinnoh's cold regions, obviously based on the abominable snowman (a cryptid)

otherwise, let's continue talking about legendaries=cryptids/common=real animals.

while i'm here, let me answer some questions:
What are Wynaut and Wobuffet based on? I heard they are based on comedians who name escapes me is there any truth to this?

Actually, that has some truth to it. there is a skit wynaut and wobbuffet in their Japanese names:
Wobbuffet: sounansu! (That's the way it is!)
Wynaut: sounano? (Really?)

It is based on the late comedian Sanpei Hayashiya, whose trademark is slapping his forehead and saying, 'sou nan su, okusan' (That's the way it is, ma'am)

However, since Hayashiya is not a cryptid, Wobbuffet is not a legendary. Sounansu!

Celebi, Mesprit, Uxie and Azelf are definately fairys/pixies lol

well, to quote myself:
about the fairies:
;480;;481;;482; are based on the 3 Sacred Treasures of the Imperial Regalia of Japan.
Uxie=Yata Mirror represents Acuity
Mesprit=Yasakani Necklace represents Verity
Azelf=Kusanagi Sword represents Valor
however, they do have some resemblance to pixies, so the 'legendary=cryptid' theory still stands.

Celebi, though, eludes me. if the 'legendary=cryptid' theory works, celebi should be based on a cryptid, but possibly not.
Better try Darkfall's method of searching.

Lastly,
Wow you must have spent a long time researching that... XP
Why, thank you! Sounansu!

I Am Become Death

Sinnoh League Champ
in a way, i kinda see electrivire as a sorta Sasquatch (Bigfoot). He looks really furry and big like one, so i call him the Electric Sasquatch

I Am Become Death

Sinnoh League Champ
really? didnt know that. cool.

Farmermon

Is back once again!
good thoughts :D i was thinking bout the legendaries myself today...