• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Normal Pokemon-Legendaries = Real Life Animals -Cryptids

DragonRay8

the shadowtrainer
is ho-oh based of a phoniex?

or is it moltres?

oh, and you know the dog trio? they are not dogs they are canines both cats and dogs fall under this in the animal kindom classification so i am calling them the canines.

Narutopokedude

← currently hunting
It would be sweet, but because I'm terrified of the real chupacabra, I'm pretty sure a Pokémon would either be really cool or FREAKING TERRIFYING.

Well you shouldn't be scared of it unless you live in Mexico.

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
is ho-oh based of a phoniex?

or is it moltres?

oh, and you know the dog trio? they are not dogs they are canines both cats and dogs fall under this in the animal kindom classification so i am calling them the canines.

They both are based on a pheonix, but Ho-Oh is specifically based on a Chinsese Pheonix.

Finally someone gets it. =/

thunderblade12

What is Lugia supposed to be? I know Ho-oh is a pheonix, but what about Ho-oh?

And these have always confused me, Mew, Jarachi, Celebe, Manaphy, Phione, Uxie, Azelf, and Mesprite. Are they based on anything or are they just random pixies?

Narutopokedude

← currently hunting
What is Lugia supposed to be? I know Ho-oh is a pheonix, but what about Ho-oh?

And these have always confused me, Mew, Jarachi, Celebe, Manaphy, Phione, Uxie, Azelf, and Mesprite. Are they based on anything or are they just random pixies?

I think celebii is an onion, jirachi is a star, and manaphy is a manatee.

Just rough guesses.

Giratina looks like a very overgrown mutated caterpillar that somehow grew wings. o_O.

But how do you explain the armour?

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
^Centipede, if anything. Origin Forme looks more like a tapeworm though.

They both are based on a pheonix, but Ho-Oh is specifically based on a Chinsese Pheonix.

Finally someone gets it. =/

It's not a phoenix >[

What is Lugia supposed to be?

An albatross? The only flaw in that theory is that I don't think it (or any seabirds) have been deified in any culture.

Random pixies. They can be seen as the Pokemon equivalent of 'humanoid' fairies, with Manaphy and Phione possibly representing merfolk and Celebi representing hamadryads.

Eaglehawk

Banned
But what about Dunsparce?

Excerpt for Wikipedia: Dunsparce (ノコッチ, Nokocchi?) is a land snake based on the tsuchinoko, a legendary snake-like cryptid from Japan. It has a yellow hourglass shaped body, two tiny wings on its sides, a drill for a tail,[23] and two spikes under its chin. Its underbelly is blue, as well as the markings on its back. Dunsparce lives in caves[24] and deep underground in nests of complex design.[23] Its rudimentary wings enable it to hover just above the ground,[25] providing it with an alternate method of motion besides crawling. Despite these wings and bug-like appearance, Dunsparce is solely a normal type Pokémon.

And there's no scarcity of that during outbreaks.

I think Lugia is based more off the moon and Ho-oh represents the sun.

But some really common Pokemon are based off cryptids, too.
Ditto is based off a globster (unidentifiable piece of carcass that looks like a giant blob.)

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
It sort of makes sense.
Legendary Pokémon are seen as mythical creatures like mythical beasts are for us. Apart from the fact that they are actually real for Pokémon, just rare...
But there are lots of non legendary Pokémon with there own myths (moon Clefairy) or based from legends (Lapras)

Terry_555

Ho-Oh is the Asian Phoenix

Zapdos is a thunder bird, Moltres is a fire bird and Articuno is an ice bird.

I thik lugia might be based on a Chinese/Japanese water bird that was involved in legends.

char char

Professional Shut-In
Zapdos is based of a thunderbird- A giant black bird with a 20ft wingspan
Moltres - Phoenix
Ho-Oh - Chinese Phoenix
I believe mewtwo is based off of aliens.
Rapidash is obviously a unicorn
Lapras - Nessie
Abomasnow - Abominable Snowman
but thats all i can think that is based off of cryptids

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
^Centipede, if anything. Origin Forme looks more like a tapeworm though.

It's not a phoenix >[

An albatross? The only flaw in that theory is that I don't think it (or any seabirds) have been deified in any culture.

Random pixies. They can be seen as the Pokemon equivalent of 'humanoid' fairies, with Manaphy and Phione possibly representing merfolk and Celebi representing hamadryads.

Why would Giratina be a centipede, and Lugia an Albatross? If Legendaries are Cryptids more or less, then they wouldn't be based off of confirmed animals, especially when their counterparts are based off of mythical creatures/cryptids.

And what, dare I ask, is Ho-oh, if not a Phoenix? Or did you mean the "Chinese Phoenix" isn't a phoenix at all? If so, what is it?

Tyrant Tar

*facepalm* Lugia an albatross?!

Lugia is based on the dragon god of the sea in Japanese myths, Ryūjin, who lived at the bottom of the ocean.