• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

nostalgia aside how good were red/blue/yellow

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
put aside the nostalgia for a moment and tell me how would you rate red blue and yellow compared to the newer gens? i never played the original red and blue but i did start with their remakes as a kid yes the game was fun i have fond memories of it, but when replaying it i found the story line lacking now take that and minus color and good sprites.

so if you had to rate red blue and yellow with no bias how would you rate them?

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
Well considering we have to factor in the technology and expectations for games back then, I would say it was pretty good.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This really should be in the polls section, so watch out for that next time.

As far as how good the games are, you can't take "classics" out of the equation. In modern standards, the games are not that well developed, so you have to consider the time it was made it. In the 90's, it was revolutionary, but many other video game "revolutions" have come out since then.

carpark

I feel like I might be in the minority, but I liked how little of a story there was in the first games. I played Red when I was much younger (like 7 years old), played Gold when that came out, and stopped playing or caring about Pokemon in gen 2. When I returned in gen 5 and played White, I was surpised at the fact that there was a more active story throughout the game, but felt like it distracted from the idea of making it seem like you're exploring a world where (aside from collecting badges) what you do is up to you. That said, it's possible I just didn't like Black/White's story regardless of comparing it to the older games. (I also haven't played the older generations any time recently. Maybe I am just being nostalgic.)

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I feel like I might be in the minority, but I liked how little of a story there was in the first games.
Now I really have to admit. The story idea for R/B/G/Y was pretty smart. The fact that they cracked two spoilers at the end was pretty nifty, not to mention G/S/C's follow-up. I would say the story was well done for a Gameboy game.

Monek_OP

bernie2016
There's a couple different ways to look at it ..:

Like others have already said, based upon the expectations of when they were made and the epic effort put into them; they were fantastic. But compared as just games, they really fall short to the Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova games, even as remakes. Part of that's because they're on Gameboy, though - and G/S/C/HG/SS are in a league of their own, as they had two regions.

\

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
On how they were in that time, they were much ahead and very good.

Now, they are pretty much the worst, being riddled with glitches, bugs, problems, bad sounds, bad graphics, and several other general issues.

Strolling

Dragon Trainer
Yellow was fun because I felt like Ash Ketchum. Got all the starters and even caught a Pidgeotto.

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
At that time those games were really good, especially Yellow. Nostalgia is just a minor factor.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
I think the Gen I games were very good - they certainly aren't my favourite but you have to give them credit. You can't really complain about the graphical limitations and what not since they were pretty good back then.

To me the games are as good as any Pokemon game with the same mechanics, albeit much simpler. I love every main series game without regarding nostalgia.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
I think they were awesome. They were a great start to the franchise, despite having less than desirable aspects such as glitches and questionable sprites. Personally though, nostalgia is hard to ignore when saying this.

RogueLapras

Water Gym Leader
Red, Blue, and Yellow were great games, even with nostalgia aside. Compared to modern Pokémon games, and modern games in general, they wouldn't rate too high (nostalgia aside of course :)) Each Pokémon game has gotten a little better whether it was sprites, story, graphics, etc. But Red/Blue/Yellow was the start of the entire series. You could watch the anime then go right into the game and play with the Pokémon from the anime, battle the gym leaders from the anime, and fight Team Rocket. And Yellow was even better because you felt like you were really playing as Ash. Plus back then, there was SOOO many people playing it. For me it was so much better when almost everyone I knew was playing the game. You could talk, trade, battle, etc. But nowdays there are only a couple people that I know still plays Pokémon.

I have high hopes for X&Y. I think the gameplay upgrade, graphics, and a mix of new and old Pokémon will (hopefully) be better than any game before it. I know that's a big leap, but I am hoping for the best :)

they're good for being a pokemon game but when compared to the newer game it is really plain.
new pokemon games specifically from gen 3 onwards has really good stories mostly about legendaries while g/s has two (freaking) regions, r/b/y is just boring.
it may be because it's the very first game but even the remake does not make it any better.
hg/ss is way beyond my expectation while fr/lg isn't, it just a very plain remake.

would give it a 3/10.
3 for awesome pokemon, awesome music, yellow version gets the other 1 point

emawerna

I would rate red and blue as innovative (which is worth something in and of itself). The story was pretty good but had its oddities. For instance, the professor asks you to do "a favor" for him and fill the pokedex. Favors are usually smaller than catching one of every dangerous creature in the world. It's odd to think of someone saying: "do me a favor that will necessitate you starting a new career."

I think the best way to measure the graphics games is NOT against other pokemon games but against other gameboy games in general. That removes penalties based on the system. Pokemon was very impressive compared to my other gameboy games.

I would only penalize blue and red for their numerous glitches.

Last edited:

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
They were great games for their time, but in my opinion they haven't aged very well. Mainly due to the slow gameplay and numerous glitches and bugs. They're good for nostalgia, but for someone who hasn't played them all those years ago I doubt they'll find much enjoyment in these games, unless they're really into old school stuff.

If I had to give them a rating on how they would fare against current, modern titles it'd probably be around a 2 out of 10. Technically they're playable, but very little chance of getting more enjoyment out of them compared to the newer Pokémon titles.

Last edited:

Sponge

I've been playing since the beginning. I would say the games were great for their time but in terms of gameplay, replayability and features they don't really hold a candle to newer games in the series. Not to mention all the great pokemon that have introduced since those games..but that's more subjective than my initial point.

I don't think I could happily play one of the older games for anything other than a short lived nostalgia buzz. Particularly the first gen games. (and it would probably be because of many minor niggles rather than anything huge)

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
I have played the games since the beginning, so I guess that by Pokemon fan logic, my opinions are worth more than the people who haven't played the games from all generations or in the right order. In all seriousness though, here are my thoughts.

If we look at the games at the time when they were new, I'd say they were good. I had a lot of fun with them and spent a lot of time playing them. They were also quite unique at that time (I suppose), what other RPG let you chose between 151 different characters to use in battles? Not many, if any at all.

However, when compared to the newer generations, the are in all honesty really bad. They lack a lot of things that the newer games has, which makes the first gen games less fun than the games from newer generations. Only being able to choose from 151 Pokemon drags them down a lot since there isn't as much variety as in newer generations. The lack of something to do after beating the E4 also limits them a lot, the only things you can do after the E4 are exploring the Cerulean Cave (as well as other places if you didn't explore them before the E4) and complete the Pokedex (which goes relatively fast despite the lack of training possibilities as there are only 151 Pokemon to catch/evolve). Not being able to breed in the games also makes it hard to get "exclusive" Pokemon such as starters and fossils, or even the base forms of some Pokemon. The lack of a story makes them pretty mediocre as well, though it doesn't really matter since Pokemon has never been a series with focus on the story. Compared to the newer generations, the music and graphics in them are really bad as well. Lastly, Kanto is also a really small and boring region without the Sevii Islands to back it up.

I remember that I tried to play Red in 2006, but I just couldn't do it. Even compared to the third gen games that were the newest then, the game felt incredibly underwhelming and boring to play. I haven't touched a first gen game since then. Many people talk about "nostalgia", but that doesn't effect me at all, I don't see the reason to play games for nostalgia rather than for fun. The feelings I had when playing R/B/Y as a kid can never be brought back, so why even try? I don't see the point in it. Even with nostalgia factored in, the first gen games still suck compared to the newer generations. I'd rather play the newer games that are actually good and more importantly, fun to play, rather than a boring and unplayable first gen game. And if I want to go back to Kanto, I'd much rather play FR/LG instead.

To put it simply, I think the games were good back then, but they just fail to live up to the modern standards of the series.

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
Something that just clicked into my mind, why dont you just get an emulator and try it out yourself?

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Rating RBY in comparison to the new generations is unfair, in the sense that of course the originals are going to be lacking. With the Pokemon main series of games they keep to a very similar format, so for the games not to be an improvement now would make no sense.

I still love to play through RBY (usually Yellow) occasionally to this day. I'd say my main gripes with it are the smaller things, like not having the Select item function, having to go into the menu to use HM moves, and the severe lack of bag space. But I can understand all those scenarios - the most common problem for me though is the terrible variety in movesets. People always claim how 'n00bish' they or others used to be shoving all Fire attacks and Cut on a Charizard or something. Well that's just because there were barely any other moves it could learn!

One thing I will say is as time has gone on, more and more glitches have been discovered. And most of them are just freakin' hilarious.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
You cannot fairly compare a 17-year old game to new games and expect the former to come out on top or equal. Factoring in the age, I would say that Gen I was amazing, especially with the game size limitation. I have played the originals, and prefer them over the remakes. The only qualm I have is that the music in Gen I/II is sorta annoying.