• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Not too early for a VGC team, is it?!

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
Hi everybody, happy 2015! I'm going to start the new year off right with an OU team that will eventually compete in the 2015 Video Game Championships! I can't use this team on Showdown yet, but hopefully you guys can help me!

Excadrill@Assault Vest
Adamant/Mold Breaker
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Drill Run
~Iron Head

Oh man, Excadrill is a lifesaver. I keep forgetting he has Mold Breaker, and when Rotoms get hit super effectively by an Earthquake is always makes my day! Anyway, I had been trying Air Balloon and Choice Scarf on this guy, but I realized I really didn't want to be locked into one move with Excadrill, because he's so versatile. This way with Assault Vest I can at least tank a few Special attacks. Earthquake and Rock Slide form the ever-useful QuakeEdge combo, while Drill Run is useful if my partner Pokemon can't use Protect. Iron Head makes use of his other STAB of course.

Greninja@Life Orb
Naive|Hasty/Protean
56 Atk, 200 SpAtk, 252 Speed
~Gunk Shot
~Ice Beam
~Hydro Pump
~Dark Pulse

I've always used my Greninja as a full-out Special Attacker, and I've come to realize that what hindered him was Fairy Pokemon. With Gunk Shot, that's no longer a problem. Dark Pulse, Hydro Pump, and Ice Beam round off the moveset, making it an all around sweeper. For the longest time I used Expert Belt, but with Life Orb I can utilize the boost even if it's not super-effective. The Nature isn't really all that important because of how frail Greninja is to begin with.

Serperior@Big Root/Choice Specs
Timid/Contrary
252 SpAtk, 4 SpDef, 252 Speed
~Leaf Storm
~Giga Drain
~Protect
~Dragon Pulse

The reason I can't use this team on Pokemon Showdown. With the advent of the Contrary Serperior, I want to see how this thing stacks up. So far I haven't been able to though haha. I'm having trouble what I really want from Serperior. I don't know if I should use Specs and just spam Leaf Storm, or if I should use the Big Root and be able to use Dragon Pulse and Giga Drain too. Whichever route I take, Contrary Leaf Storm is magnificent. It'd be a great check for Water and Ground types, and after a few times of using Leaf Storm, the power would be massive! However, I feel like it's the weakest member on this team and could be the first one to be replaced.

Thundurus@Sitrus Berry/Leftovers
Modest/Prankster
212 HP, 128 Def, 52 SpAtk, 96 SpDef, 20 Speed
~Taunt
~Thunder Wave
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power Ice

I've told myself before that I would never use Legendary Pokemon because they're so hard to get the one you need, and I've said before I don't like Hidden Power because it's too complicated for me. But HP Ice Thundurus is just what this team needs, and I'm willing to put in the hours to get one. Prankster Thunder Wave may not seem like a necessity, given that my team is very Speed oriented, but it allows Mega Gardevoir and Excadrill hit at least once. Taunt also shuts down Sableye and pretty much anything with Protect. Thunderbolt and HP Ice give the BoltBeam coverage, and the EVs are the standard Smogon set. I'm not sure what recovery item would work best on Thundurus, though.

Gardevoir@Gardevoirite
Modest/Trace(Pixilate)
252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 4 SpDef
~Hyper Voice
~Psyshock
~Shadow Ball
~Protect

Mega Gardevoir's screams hurt like the dickens. Nothing bar Protect can escape Hyper Voice, and with Pixilate it's scary. Trace is used to hopefully use an Intimidate against the opponent, and the EVs focus on making Gardevoir somewhat of a bulky heavy-hitter. Psyshock provides physical damage, and Fairy and Ghost give really good coverage. Protect is just to prevent damage from Earthquake.

Salamence@Salamencite
Hasty/Intimidate (Aerilate)
252 Atk, 4 SpAtk, 252 Speed
~Protect
~Earthquake
~Double Edge
~Draco Meteor

My 2nd Mega Pokemon, Salamence, replaces Mega Gardevoir in the 4-v-4 matches, giving me versatility on who I want as my Mega. Draco Meteor makes Salamence a great mixed attacker, and I hope other people are caught off guard with Draco Meteor. Protect is obligatory in Doubles matches, and Double Edge makes use of the Aerilate ability, while Earthquake is a filler move in case Excadrill is down for the count.​

And that's my team! Please, let me know what you think, what I should change, add, remove, anything! And of course, have a happy and healthy 2015 :D