• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nothing, Everything [PG-13]

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
(Waves)

Hello, everyone! Yes, this is the latest fan fiction written by yours truly, Bay. Okay, this fic has been posted earlier then my intended October 1st date, but I just can’t wait to post it! Now, a couple of things. Liked I said in the preview page, this is based loosely off of the book “Da Vinci Code” by Dan Brown. However, it will not be about religion. Instead, this story will be of history. Plus, there will be differences between that book and this story as I tried to make “Nothing, Everything” my own.

Now, I actually finished this fan fiction, but I am going to try to edit/revise the chapters before I post them. So yeah, expect this fic to have its chapters be posted all the way through. ;D

Well, hope you guys read, review (constructive criticism is love XD ), and enjoy! If you guys want to be on the PM list, say so in your reviews! Oh, and huge thanks to Saphria_Thorn for betaing this story for any grammar mistakes I have. ^^

Disclamier: Some of the lines from this story (most notably the prologue and Chapter Seven) I borrowed from the lines of the Pokemon Diamond game, so credit goes to that. Also, I do not own Pokemon nor Officer Jenny, though both I spiced up their personality a bit. XD

~GENRE~
Drama, Suspense, Action/Adventure, Mystery, and minor instances of science fiction

~RATED~
This fic will be rated PG-13 for some instances of violence, swearing and one sexual reference joke by one of the characters later in the story.

~PM LIST~
[Sike Saner] [The Great Butler] [duncan] [Chareon] [DarkPersian479] [Griff4815][Manaphyman] [PokemonHero]

~WEBSITEs~
The (Un)Official 'Nothing, Everything' Website
'Nothing, Everything' Twitter

~CHAPTER INDEX~

+Book One: Under the Dust+
Prologue: Graduation for Two (1st revison 8/28/08)
Chapter One: Searching (1st revison 8/28/08)
Chapter Two: The Things They Carried (1st revision 8/28/08)
Chapter Three: Cold Feelings (1st revison 8/28/08)
Chapter Four: Zap, and You're Safe (1st revison 8/28/08)
Chapter Five: Realizations (1st revison 8/28/08)
Chapter Six: Reject it, Challenge it, Forget it (1st revison 8/28/08)
Chapter Seven: Of Flights (1st revison 8/28/08)
Chapter Eight: History Books (1st revison 8/28/08)
Chapter Nine:Circumstances
Chapter Ten: High Sky Battle
Chapter Eleven: Intentions and Truths
Chapter Twelve: All in Perspectives
Extra: History behind "Nothing, Everything"

+Book Two: Paying the Debts+
Chapter Thirteen: All a Contest
Chapter Fourteen: Lost and The Lost Tower
Chapter Fifteen: Unown to You
Chapter Sixteen: Flares and Scares
Chapter Seventeen: Half of Sinnoh Knows
Chapter Eigtheen: Past Sight
Chapter Nineteen: Rolling Along
**Chapter Twenty: Jacob's Discovery 1|| 2
Chapter Twenty One: Nothing, Everything
Chapter Twenty Two: Sixteen Pieces
Chapter Twenty Three: Anxiety
Chapter Twenty Four: For All Its Worth
Epilogue: Two Weeks Later

Nothing, Everything

“The past is but the beginning of a beginning, and all that is and has been
is but the twilight of the dawn." - H.G. Wells

Book One
Under the Dust

Prologue:
Graduation for Two

History.

Faded and remembered.

Can be looked at differently.

Always repeated.

Can affect both present and future.

If broken, how much will it be worth?

Look not into the Pokèmon’s eyes.
In but an instant, you’ll have no recollection of who you are.
Return home, but how when there is nothing to remember?
Dare not touch the Pokèmon’s body.
In but three short days, all emotions will drain away.
Above all, above all, harm not the Pokèmon.
In a scant five days, the offender will grow immobile in entirety.

“Just fascinating. Why have I never seen this book before?”

A young short woman had put an old dusty book closer to her nose, which began to wrinkle when some dust flew on it. She pulled a strand of her curly brown hair behind her right ear to see better. A huge smile was planted on her peach colored face. The woman was about to turn the next page eagerly until…

“Bunny, there you are!” said a young adult’s voice.

The female called Bunny turned around, screamed, and dropped the book when she saw two women. One looked in her early fifties and had white hair touching her skinny shoulders. Her green eyes blinked a few times. Another woman looked the same age as Bunny, but a few inches taller than her and with a bow on her short blond hair.

“Violet! Mrs. Davis! You both scared me to death. Is there something wrong?”

“Yes, Bunny!” said the younger woman, Violet, her voice of urgency. “Did you almost forget that today is our college graduation?”

In an instant, the brown haired woman gasped.

“Oh my gosh! Really? I guess I had spent a little too long in this library.”

Ever since she could remember, Bunny loved the Canalave City Library. The bright lights made the walls turn yellow but also warmed Bunny’s body. She loved the intelligent soft chatter that always greeted her each time she entered. Her eyes always scanned the books, most notably in the history, myth, and ruin sections. Every time she read them, she was at a specific location and trying to find that artifact for a couple of hours. Soon she would go traveling for real.

After Bunny said that last sentence, she laughed in embarrassment and half-closed her light blue eyes.

“Yeah,” said the older woman with a chuckle. “Always going through Pokèmon history and mythology books ever since you were a little kid.”

There was a pause. Mrs. Davis, with a smile on her face, looked at Bunny a few times. Bunny for a second felt a melting feeling inside her heart, but in a good way.

“I cannot believe it. Now you are going to be a college graduate. I knew you would graduate in top honors of your major!”

“Me too,” Violet added. “Man, Bunny is always obsessed with Pokèmon his...”

Violet stopped when she saw Bunny staring at her coldly, which made Mrs. Davis laugh very loudly. After a few seconds, Bunny giggled a bit. Her friend sighed, relieved to hear her laughter.

It took a while until Bunny wondered how long they had left to get ready until graduation would start.

“Hey, any of you know what time it is?”

Mrs. Davis checked her watch and then answered, “Five o’ clock.”

Bunny’s eyes widen and she had her hand on her head.

“Five o’ clock! Oh my gosh Violet, we do not have much time!”

Bunny quickly grabbed Violet’s wrist and then the two went off. Before both of them went downstairs, they said their goodbyes loudly to Mr. Davis. When they were out of her sight, the librarian laughed softly.

His head felt like a tidal wave that could do great damage. He rubbed his head and then groaned.

What happened?

He opened his eyes and saw he was inside a hall of an apartment building. The carpet was warm on his cheeks and the walls were clean. His skinny body rose up and then the man rubbed his black hair, many already turned white. His light blue eyes stared at one of the doors. He felt his blood pressure rise. Memories of what happened came back to him.

A darkened study room. The anger of another man he knew very well. A Venonat that used an attack on him. Him falling down hard.

Dang it! Why he had done it?

He dashed towards that door and then banged on it with his hands. The man kept banging on the door, but there was no answer.

“Come out, you! Why did you do that to me?”

Still no answer. He kept knocking, though.

Outside a football field, university graduation just finished. Many graduates were either talking with their family or taking pictures with them. Happiness and excitement mixed together in this special occasion.

“All right, say Pikachu!” said a bald man holding a camera.

Violet and Bunny, both in blue colored graduation robes, said “Pikachu!” together and then Bunny’s father took the picture.

“Perfect!”

After he put the digital camera back in his shirt pocket, his cell phone rang. He took the device out of his pocket?
and then answered the call.

“Hello? Oh, I see. Well, I am at my daughter’s graduation. Hold on a minute.”

He turned to both Violet and Bunny and then said to them, “Sorry gals, an important phone call.”

While her father was talking on his cell phone, Bunny and Violet were having a small but personal conversation.

“Are you okay with your dad busy working?”

Bunny sighed and then said, “Not really, to tell you the truth. He is always busy, but I understand. Tried to support the both of us and our Pokèmon ever since Mom died. We do manage to spend some time together, though. I am proud though that he was doing this all for me.”

Bunny smiled when she said that last sentence. She then looked up the sky, hoping someone particular saw this special occasion. Later, Bunny turned around when she heard Violet speak.

“I seriously cannot believe that you will leave soon on your first expedition at Kanto.”

“I cannot believe it either. Over there I am going to Mt. Moon and have a look at those Moon Stones, plus others. I heard Kanto has a lot of more information on the evolution stones than in this region. Do not worry though; I will still contact you by phone and e-mail.”

Violet giggled and then said, “I thought you would use the old fashion mail for keeping in touch with me!”

Bunny laughed, amused Violet would think that. The two then looked at the other graduates hanging out with friends and family. Both smiled, glad everyone was happy.

Darkness blanketed the tree covered Riverbank Street. Outside, the pleasant musical tunes of Kricketune could be heard. The street was empty except for a figure in a long coat walking slowly, carrying a heavy backpack. The figure kept walking until he stopped to see a ten story apartment building close by. Vines circled around the brick constructed place and many windows were bright with the lights inside.

The figure grinned.

A woman in her early twenties laid down on a small couch, staring at the ceiling. Her smooth looking face began to become wet with sweat. She thought her living room was all hot and stuffy, and the cold air from outside didn’t help much. A new thought later came to her mind that stung her badly, as if someone stabbed her.

Can't believe he did not come to my police academy graduation. Been busy with his ‘history projects’ again, I guess.

Her mind was interrupted when she heard a doorbell. She slowly got up and went to open it. Shock grabbed her heart when the woman saw an old man in a long coat, his wrinkles visible to see. Tips of his white hair were drenched from sweat.

“Hello, Jenny!” the medium sized man said cheerfully. “Congratulations on graduating in the Pokèmon Police Academy.”

When he looked at her, she did not smile. The man could tell from her squinting eyes that Jenny was not too happy about this.

“Oh, come on!” the man said now in a serious tone. “Look, I'm very sorry that I did not make it. I was...”

“Busy with your current history project,” Jenny interrupted, anger that was meant to spat back without thinking the consequences. “You are always busy now these days.”

The old man sighed and then shook her head. Inside, Jenny was happy he was about to admit it.

“I know and I am sorry. Look, I don't have much time…”

“Great, still busy! Why did you come here anyways?” the woman interrupted again, this time with more force than before.

There was complete silence and the two eyed on each other. Jenny felt the intensity inside her living room. After a few minutes, the male spoke first.

“Jenny…I never saw you mad like that. You were always the upbeat and fun one who like to make jokes.”

No smile or frown appeared on Jenny’s mouth. The man sighed.

“Well…I can't seem to be myself when you keep busying yourself with your projects,” Jenny admitted. “I really missed the two of us together, even though I am twenty one years old.”

The blue haired woman slowly let herself chuckle. A tiny bit of her thought it was amusing to want his company at that age.

The man smiled and then said softly, “Me too, to be honest. I remember when we used to play a lot of board games together and other things.”

“You were my favorite,” Jenny said in a sad tone and then let her head down.

Her mind raced with thoughts about him. In her childhood there were many great memories with the two of them together. A lot of laughing, squealing, playing, and joking. Jenny cannot remember the last time the two had fun together. Part of her wanted to forgive him, since right now she was too old to do the things the two did in the past. Part of her wanted to just spend at least a few minutes with her uncle. Play or no play, it did not matter.

Jenny later felt a necklace wrapped around her neck. Her eyes gazed at what looked like a light green rock that was carved. To her, it was beautiful. She then stared at her uncle again.

He must have put it around my neck without me noticing.

“A graduation present. Wanted to give it to you before I leave to resume my project.”

Again, Jenny was torn. She wanted to keep it, as she believed it was a very thoughtful gift. She also wanted to just throw the necklace onto her uncle’s face and laugh. Her fingers touched the chains, in case she decided to do the latter.

Not wanting to wait any longer, her uncle said, “I hope you like it. Will see you again in a couple of weeks or so.”

As soon as the uncle left the house, Jenny stared at her necklace. She bit her bottom lip, still unsure how to react.

The beginning lines of the prologue was from that one book in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl called “Horrific Myth”., the one you find at the Canalave City Library in the game.

Yep, that is the end of the prologue. Well, sorry that is a bit longer then normal prologues. ^^;; Also, sorry about Bunny having a weird name and very good with history. Don’t worry, her flaws will be revealed as the story progresses and her name will be made fun of by one of the characters later on. XD

Well, nothing else to say but review away!

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Aww, don't throw the necklace away, Jenny! Give it to me if you don't want it! XD

Anyway. First of all...

Nice inclusion of the legends of Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf. ^^ I wonder if the inclusion of the "Horrific Myth" means that Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf will be involved in the story somehow?...

The scene involving the man who'd been attacked by a Venonat was intriguing, It seems he's gotten into some trouble there, and I'm interested to know how he got into trouble and with whom. I suspect that those answers belong to time for now, though; those answers will come when they are meant to come, and I'll wait patiently for them. :)

And it makes sense that Kanto would have more information about evolution stones readily available--not only because of Mt. Moon, but there's also the fact that Celadon's department store apparently has enough evolution stones to sell them like snow globes. o.o

Oh, and I liked this detail:

Outside, the pleasant musical tunes of Kricketunes can be heard.

I just like it because Kricketune happens to have my favorite cry out of all the Pokémon in the games. :D

Speaking of the scene with the Kricketune singing in the background, the "figure in a long coat" in that scene is another intriguing factor in the story so far. o.o

I'll keep reading, rest assured. Put me on the PM list, please. :)

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Nice work, Bay! Everything seems pretty solid, and the inclusion of multiple side storylines to support the main one is a nice addition. Certainly those will help develop things further down the line.

One thing I noticed: the tenses flip back and forth a few times. Nothing major, just keep an eye on it.

I'd like to be on the PM list, sure.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
It was a very good chapter in description and characters. Could I BE anymore vague?

Sorry for the lax review, but I'm doing a lot of quadratic functions right now. I promise I'll do a better one next chapter.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Sike Saner: Yeah, Officer Jenny should do that. I'll let her know that you want it. XD

Well, about the spoiler...all I am going to say that they will not appear physically in this fic, but will be mention again much later. XD

The scene involving the man who'd been attacked by a Venonat was intriguing, It seems he's gotten into some trouble there, and I'm interested to know how he got into trouble and with whom. I suspect that those answers belong to time for now, though; those answers will come when they are meant to come, and I'll wait patiently for them.

Yeah, that scene is very important and will come again in more detail. ;)

I just like it because Kricketune happens to have my favorite cry out of all the Pokémon in the games.

Oh my gosh, I think so too! Yeah, their cries are quite interesting. XD

Great Bulter: Yeah, you're here! Hehe, glad you think that. Yep, everything will some together soon enough. ;)

Dang, still tense mistakes? Well, just this morning I fixed those, courtesty of diamondpearl876 and Hanako Tabris quoting the mistakes in their reviews at another forum called PokeCommunity Forums. XD I will try to check for the mistakes better. :)

Griff4815 Hehe, you reviewed here too! =D Like I said, that's fine. Qudratic Equations? That's cool! XD (Sorry, I am a math person. ^^;; )

Again, thank you three for reviewing! Expect Chapter One's release date to be probably on October 1st...the original date for the release of this fic. XD

duncan

Very nice prologue. Not much I can say that Sike didn't cover, but it had enough to get me interested. I'll be looking forward to the next chapter (or should I say the first chapter).

And go ahead and add me to the PM list.

Chareon

-blinkblink-
Hello!

Hmm, this has great potential, so I decided to review (not a normal occurrence. o_O)

Great prologue so far. You've added mystery, history, and good character. This is good. ^^
(Sorry if I'm not so eloquent today, I'm totally fighting the flu. But you get the point, I hope. xP)

Some rough spots:
She pulled a strain of her curly brown hair behind her right ear to see better.
A 'strain' of hair makes me think of spaghetti. Perhaps 'strand' would go better in this spot?

“Five o’ clock! Oh my gosh Violet, we do not have much time!”
Perhaps a contraction would be a good idea here? When I'm talking, I know for a fact I wouldn't say 'we do not' instead of don't, you know?

“All right, say Pikachu!” said a bald man holding a camera.
Cute. ^^

Her mind became interrupted when she heard a doorbell.
This sentence seems a bit choppy to me. I think it's because the word 'became' is a strictly present-tense word, and you're writing in past?

And that's about it. Great job, keep up the good work and all that. I'll be checking in around the 1st, please add me to the PM list. xD

;196; ~Chareon

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
duncan: Hi! ^^ That's great that you are interested in this fic. And yes, this is the prologue and the first chapter shall come soon. XD

Chareon: Hello! Hope your flu is gone already! ^^

Hm...I guess the contraction thing would be better with don't if someone else is speaking, so I'll keep that in mind. Hehe, glad you thought that Pikachu scene is cute. Maybe I should say that whenever I am taking a picture instead of cheese! XD And about the 'became' thing: yeah, maybe 'was' would be a better word. I tend to not want to use that word for some reason. o_O That I will keep in mind too.

Again, thanks you two for the reviews! The two of you are now on the PM list! ^^

katiekitten

The Compromise
Bay! *snugs* Sorry for not posting sooner, I read it yesterday but my computer kept on freezing. Took forever to finish reading it. xD

I can't believe you are using the banner I made you - Sorry for it being so rubbish. >.< I would make you a new one, but my computer has also swallowed my paint-shop pro and I can't find the CD to reinstall it. :x

Anyways, enough of all those stupid excuses. Onto the story!

By god, have you improved. The conversations were incredibly well done and were believable; (I could see myself saying those sorts of things) A great improvement from when you first came here - You absolutely deserve the 'most improved' award, hands down. I'm glad you managed to finish it! Doesn't sound like it gave you the grief it did last time, which is good - you should never, ever have to go through that with your writing ever again. I'll be here if you should ever need me. :)

I loved how you jumped between perspectives, it gave you tantalising teasers of a darker side of the plot, and the use of the poem-thing at the beginning was well put, it gave the piece a lovely foreshadowing that intrigued me to no end. Well done. :3

A couple missing words and the like that I noticed yesterday and still remember...

“Great, still busy! Why did you come here anyways?”

“Hello? Oh, I see. Well, I am at my daughter’s graduation. Hold on a
minute.”

Rogue double space. x3

There were a few more, but I can't remember where for the life of me. A single technical point, though:

The man kept knocking, but no answer.

At this point, I wouldn't put knocking - it gives the semblence of politeness, and from the look of the scene and the earlier words of 'banging on the door,' he is feeling anything but polite - worried, anxious, angry, irritated, slightly scared - Knocking is just such a... delicate word, I guess. Calm. Maybe try a more violent equivalent? Hammering on it? Thumping it? (By god, that is an amusing word. I nearly cracked up while watching the news when the prim and proper news reporter quote a source and said with the perfect proffessional, precise accent: "Witnesses claimed a man 'thumped' one of the car's passengers..." xD *coughs* Anyways.) Bashing it? Ectra.

Just a suggestion - feel free to disregard it. :)

Edit: I absolutely love Quadratic Equations, for some reason. I just like algebra in general. :x *shot*

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
katiekitten: Aw, but I like, no wait, LOVE that banner, seriously! ;) However, if you believe that you can make a better one, then I cannot wait for that. Let me know in PM when you manage to find that program of yours. ^^

Thanks for checking out those couple of mistakes, will fix them soon. About that rough space...when Saphria gave me the beta version in email form, I copy and paste into Microsoft Works and then copy and paste here. I push preview and then saw those rough spaces. It took me a good twenty minutes to fix all of them (or so I thought XD )

Hehe, thanks for noting my improvement! Yeah, I have been working real hard trying to make this my best written fic. ;) Me getting Most Improved Author award? Hehe, maybe. XD (Speaking of which, cannot wait for the voting process! )

Again, thanks for the review!

Okay everyone, I hope that Chapter One will be posted on Monday the first, although I am not one hundred percent sure. I both Pm and emailed my beta reader the chapter last Tuesday and hadn't heard from her yet. If she is true to what she said (she told me she only manage to go to the internet on Wednesdays and Thursday), then expect the chapter to come probably Thrusday the fourth instead.

While you guys wait for the chapter, here is a little teaser summary for it:

Coming Up--- Chapter 1: Seraching

Four years had passed since the two girls graduated. Bunny came back to her hometown to write a book. Jenny is a police officer at Jubilife City, which is holding the annual Sinnoh Renaissance Fair. The Canalave City University graduate decided to go there one day to relax, but things soon made her more nervous then relax.

Sorry the summary is not that great. Well, hope you guys have a good weekend!

Last edited:

DarkPersian479

:Edit: I absolutely love Quadratic Equations, for some reason. I just like algebra in general. :x *shot*

Qudratic Equations? That's cool! XD (Sorry, I am a math person. ^^;; )
Okay, why aren't all you math people at my fic, which is overflowing with gooey math nerdiness? Oh well, if this is where the math loving members gather, then so shall I :)

Okay, guess I better get around to the actual review:
Soon she would go traveling for real.

how long they had left to get ready until graduation would start

The man kept knocking, but there was no answer.

when she heard Violet speak.

A woman in her early twenties laid down on a small couch

You were always the upbeat and fun one, who liked to make jokes.
Majority of these are the tense switcheroos that Butler mentioned.

Now that grammar is over with...
sorry about Bunny having a weird name
No, not at all... One of my best friends from high school is named Bunny :)

What can I say that hasn't been already mentioned? The conversations at the graduation scenes sounded very much like conversations with my friends after my high school graduation (my college graduation was a bit too impersonal, and with me graduating in August...), descriptions were also done well, and there was a nice air of mystery with the man trapped in the apartment, and with the shadowy figure approaching said apartment building (If I am wrong about it being the same building, please let me know.)

Possibly my biggest criticism would be that the emotional level at the graduation ceremony felt a bit flat. You do mention that there is an air of happiness and excitement, but, as Psychic says, "Show, Don't Tell."

Example:
She could hardly control it. The huge smile and beaming eyes were only a small indicator of how elated she was. Four years of hard work have paid off! I've done it! I've waited for this moment forever and it's finally here! Yes!

In the "emotional" regard, you do better with the scene with Jenny and her uncle. I could get a better feel for Jenny's disappointment, anger, and confusion.

Otherwise, I was quite impressed, as it has an interesting premise and tons of potential.

And go ahead and add me to the PM list. As long as you don't update every two or three days, I will make an honest attempt to review as often as I can:)

Isfahan

Very nice! Always good to see a work with college-age and young professional characters in it. There is life between professor and trainer, after all!

The technical nits have already been picked, so I'll just get right to my only question, which may well expose my ignorance.

Are Bunny and Jenny the same person? I seem to recall reading in other fics how, in the Pokémon world, women who go into policing or nursing all take the same name, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
...Dang, so many reviews pouring in! =O

DarkPersian479: Hi! =D

I would like to say thanks for criticizing the graduation scene. Yeah, while writing the whole fanfiction I tried my best to show not tell, but I think there are a few scenes I rushed (tried to finished it before college started, which I did ^^). I will keep that in mind. That, and grammar too. I pretty much got an idea of tenses. Now it is a matter of catching them. o_O I will try my best to dealt with that too, though. ^^

About the apartments, there are two different ones. Sorry that I did not make that clear. ^^;;

Thanks for the great review and don't worry, I don't update that fast. XD

Isfahan: Hello! (waves)

Haha, Bunny and Jenny are two different people. In fact, throughout the fic the two have totally different personalities. In the prolgue I only put Bunny's graduation and not Jenny's (which I should have done XD ).

And oh, later on the fic Jenny will mention how she wants to be called by her middle name. XD

Thanks for the review! ^^

Okay, quick announcement. Now to all my readers, you think that this post will be of Chapter One. Sorry to say this, but the first chapter will be delayed until probably October 10th at the latest. My beta reader said she won't be able to send me the beta version until this Wednesday. However, thanks to DarkPersian, I am going to look over it a couple more times and make it of better quality, grammar and description wise, over the weekend. :) Don't really have time this week to check it over as I am going to be a bit busy with college work. I could have posted on either next Monday or Tuesday but Monday I have my Italian quiz and Tuesday I got work (which I am not looking forward too XD ).

So yeah, just sit tight guys. Good things happen when wait (I hope XD )

Last edited:

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Lalala, chapter update! XD

Sorry for the short delay. I decided to post it today as I will be very busy the next few days and am afraid I might be able to update this chapter for a while (don't want this to end up like "Simplicity" o_O).

Anyways, enough of the excuses. Here is chapter one! And oh, thanks Saphria_Thorn for betaing this!

Chapter One:
Searching

It was one bright afternoon, despite the snow on the ground. Two people were playing hide and seek, the cold breeze not bothering them. One plump figured man was screaming to the second player of the game.

“Hey, Jenny! Where are you?”

Behind a tree, a girl was giggling. She covered her mouth, hoping her uncle did not hear that. Jenny was wrong when someone poked her shoulder.

“Ouch!” she yelled while rubbing her shoulder.

“Did it really hurt?”

After she heard a chuckle, the girl turned around and saw an old man with white hair. His smile made his wrinkles disappear.

“Yes it does, Uncle Ernest,” Jenny said in an annoyed voice.

Ernest bent down and then rubbed Jenny’s shoulder for a few seconds. After he finished, he got back up and chuckled.

“Better now?” he asked with a grin.

The girl both smiled and nodded at the same time.

“Yes, much better!”

Ernest smiled back and then lifted his niece up, which made her laughed.

“Why you did that?” she asked while staring at her uncle, eyes twinkled with delight.

“To do this!”

Ernest kissed her forehead, cradled her like a baby, and then began tickling her cheeks.

“Stop that!” Jenny commanded nicely while giggling.

“Aw, but I like hearing you laugh!”

He tickled her stomach this time and that got Jenny laughing even harder. Her seven year old self did not know that bonding would not last long.

Jenny suddenly woke up with wide eyes and took deep breaths. Her mouth began to twitch. She felt cold sweat on her cheeks.

Why did I dream that all of a sudden?

Almost twenty years ago since that happened. Wanting to come back to reality and not think about that dream anymore, the woman shook her head. Her police hat fell off, showing off her locks of royal blue hair. The officer then yelled when she spilled her coffee on her police uniform, her arm accidentally shoved it off of the white squared table. Already the dream was out of her mind.

“Dang it! And I just dry cleaned it too,” she complained in a soft voice.

Jenny later ate the last pieces of her chocolate donut, each bite made her smile more. After she finished, her eyes stared at the checkerboard-patterned floor and later the peach colored walls. Her nose sniffed the freshly baked donuts on the display case, ready for the customers to eat them. No one else inside but her, though. Jenny soon looked outside and saw booths and tents being constructed. She knew what was going on.

Dang it, too bad I can’t be one of the police that can guard the Sinnoh Renaissance. At least I can check out the lights and sounds of that event.

Her thoughts came to a halt when she heard her cell phone’s ringtone. She picked it up and then answered the call.

“Hello?”

“Hello, honey!”

She gasped. That voice sounded too familiar to her, and it pained her heart, as if someone stabbed it. It had been four years since Jenny met him. Seconds passed by until Jenny would answer back.

“What do you want?”

“Look, I can’t talk much,” he said hastily. “Just want to let you know, just in case I do not make it, I will leave a note for you and to have Bunny Spruce help you with it.”

Confusion struck her mind. Her eyes twitched and she loosened her grip of the cell phone. Those words were nothing much but a whisper in the wind to her.

Do not make it…leave a note for you…have Bunny Spruce help you with it…

“What the? Anything the matter?”

No answer as the familiar voice hung up on her. Irritation simmered in her veins, she slammed the cell phone on the table. The woman put her fingers on her chin, the wind blowing back at her.

Do not make it…leave a note for you…have Bunny Spruce help you with it…

What does it mean?

All of a sudden, she laughed and shook her head. A funny thought came to mind.

“Bunny. Hehe, Buneary girl. Probably a girlfriend of his.”

She sipped her coffee and then stared outside with a frown. Jenny went back thinking about the caller and that dream she had earlier. Jenny felt her throat dry up and her heart beating slowly.

Wonder where he is now. I guess that is why I had that dream.

Again, her mind jumped to a different thought. Jenny suddenly stared down at her green rock necklace. The officer was not even sure she considered it a rock, with its weird color and all.

Why do I still have that necklace? Why does my mind keep jumping into new things to think about?

Her index finger touched her lips. For four years, Jenny kept asking herself the necklace question.

Ba-dum. Ba-dum. Ba-dum.

The afternoon sun wasn’t bothering anyone. Everyone was smiling and either singing, dancing, chatting, or eating. Many smells of cooked food engulfed the air. Confetti flew everywhere and the roar of the drums kept getting louder and fiercer, like a dragon Pokemon getting ready to battle. Many of the buildings were covered in colorful decorations.

BA-DUM, BA-DUM, BA-DUM, BA-DUM, BA-DUM.

“Hello, this is Crissy Williams from Jubilife TV! Over here, we have the Sinnoh Renaissance Fair, an event to celebrate the achievements this great region had done throughout history! Many people are here to enjoy some plays and games, but most of all, the Pokèmon Battle Tournament!”

Behind the black haired skinny reporter, Jubilife City was filled with many people in medieval clothing. Some of them dressed as peasants, many in torn tunics and pants. Others wore very fancy clothing, a lot dressed in huge dresses and bright colored cloaks. Many men wore shining armor but not carrying swords. Like the reporter said, there were many activities the guests can do. Many people ate some food that consisted of Farfetch’d and Grumpig meat. A lot of them played games like the ‘dunk the person into the water’ game.

However, the most famous attraction was the Pokèmon Battle Tournament. So far that activity drew a large crowd; all would cheer or jeer from the stands, depending on the situation. One woman, wearing a cotton material red dress and a ribbon on her brown hair, looked very nervous. Her blue eyes kept blinking and she felt sweat flowing down on her light pink cheeks. She slowly turned around to face a woman wearing a silky black dress and two roses on her blond hair.

“I cannot believe you talked me into this, Violet!” whispered the woman acidly. “I’m really not looking forward to this!”

Violet chuckled and then said, “Come on, Bunny! This could be fun! Also, you are a more skilled battler then me.”

“I know,” Bunny said in an uneasy tone. “Still, I do not really battle that much. Some of those people are probably great trainers who have badges with them.”

Bunny’s friend closed her brown eyes and then laughed, her stomach making some slow movements. Violet laughed so hard, for a second she forgot how to breathe. Bunny just stared at her like she had just lost her mind.

“Sorry. Sometimes you take things too seriously,” Violet said when she stopped laughing. “This is just a little fun tournament, not a Gym battle or a Contest event. Besides, you need some relaxation.”

Bunny sighed, she knew what her friend had said was true. She did not take a break yet. Three years she had been traveling and researching, as she was a Pokèmon archaeologist. Now she was just settling down at her hometown of Canalave City for a while to start her first book. Wanting perfection made her took too many all-nighters, which showed from her pink eyeballs. She worried she made a mistake on her book, even if it was just a typo.

“You are right,” Bunny said with a smile. “Been worrying about my book on the history of the elemental stones. So much research I did on those things, not to mention buying a few of them. Those things are expensive!”

She later turned her gaze away from Violet and looked to the right. Her face then quickly changed of happiness to great anxiety.

“Violet, where is Balin?”

Away from Bunny and Violet, a white fox Pokèmon walked down on the cobbled road. Its small nose was sniffing, trying to find the source of the heavenly smell. There were times the Ninetales bumped into people. Some did not mind while others were mad at him. Balin made a woman sneeze when one of his nine tails touched her nose.

“I cannot believe he is gone!” screamed Bunny, moving her head back and forth. “And man, I will be up in twenty minutes! Dang Balin and him being a Pokèmon pet before!”

“Bunny, calm down!”

The two were now a few feet hundred away from the stands, not wanting to create a huge commotion on the stands. Violet touched her forehead, trying to think of a way to make things better. When she finally thought of something, she snapped her fingers.

”Hey, have Sky help! We can cover more ground if the three of us split up!”

A grin was painted on Bunny’s face. Her anxiety begun to cool down.

“Good idea!”

Bunny quickly took out a Pokèball from the purse she was carrying, and later threw it up in the air. The red and white orb burst open with a bright light and later the Pokèmon could be clearly seen. A purple balloon with yellow tape on the middle hovered up and down slowly. His tiny eyes looked as if he was tired.

“Drifblm?” asked the balloon Pokèmon in a sleepy voice.

“Sky, sorry to wake you up. Balin is missing…again. Do you think you can help us find him?”

Bunny said that while holding her hands very tightly, hoping the Drifblim would consider her offer. Usually Sky did not like to find the Ninetales, knowing that the Pokèmon was always in some sort of mischief. Seconds later, the Drifblm just rolled his eyes. Knowing that meant Sky would probably not do it, Bunny decided to try again.

“Come on, pal! I know Balin can be a trouble at times, but you know him, always likes to check something out. Not only that, he is your friend.”

That last sentence made Drifblim changed his mind and then nodded slowly in agreement. Bunny smiled at her Pokèmon and then turned around when she heard loud bell sounds.

Ding dong! Ding dong! Ding dong!

“Winner Kelly Milestone and her Spiritomb!” a male voice screamed. “Up next, Tessa Garnos against Elliot Smith and then Bunny Spruce against Carlos Knotty!

Shock was smeared all over Bunny’s face. After her eyes blinked a few times, she turned back to face Sky and Violet.

“We better separate now! Meet you two here later!”

In less than a couple of seconds, the three went their separate ways.

Meanwhile, the Ninetales started to walk faster. He could tell the smell was of food and he wanted it badly. As each second passed, the Pokèmon craved for it more and more. More complaints from the humans came, but Balin was not paying attention. He walked faster and soon drool came out from his mouth.

While Bunny was running, she held her stomach and took deep breaths. Fear overtook her mind. She always felt weak when it came to anxiety.

Violet is right, I worry too much. Maybe Balin will be fine, right? Right?

Each step she walked made her fear worst. She let her nervousness conquer her mind and do its bidding.

“Balin! Where are you?” Bunny screamed, tears streaming down on her cheeks.

“Lady, are you all right?” asked a short man in an armor suit, helmet covering his face.

Bunny just glanced at him and continued running. The man just stood there hearing the archaeologist's sobs.

The balloon Pokèmon was looking for the Ninetales but saw many people eating and a few clowns passing out flyers. All of a sudden, hands grabbed two of the Driftblim’s ribbons.

“Oh my gosh, a Driftblim to play with!” said a young girl’s voice. “Mine!”

Sky had a good look at the girl. Her braided brown hair matched the color of her eyes. She wore a small green flowing dress with huge sleeves.

“No sis, it’s mine!” said a young boy’s voice.

Sky also had a good look at the girl’s brother. The boy wore ragged clothes, both shirt and pants torn. His curly hair was a bit messy, some twigs could be seen.

The brother and sister kept pulling the poor balloon Pokèmon. Rage started to build up inside Sky and suddenly he made himself bigger. Too bad the kids were not scared yet.

“Cool!” the sister said while clapping. “Do that again, Drifblim!”

When Sky’s rage hit its boiling point, the Pokèmon inhaled more and then blew glittered wind at the siblings. They screamed and closed their eyes, not wanting any powder on them.

“I think we made it mad!” said the young girl in fright.

“Yeah, you're right. Come on, let’s go!”

As soon as the two children cried for mercy and bolted away, Sky chuckled softly and went on to search for Balin.

Balin still tried to find the source of the smell. He ran faster and faster but with a frown. Suddenly, the Pokèmon stopped to look around and he smiled again when he saw a small tent with the sign, “Miltank Soup”. After Balin licked his mouth, he slowly went behind the tent.

This will make her really worry now, Violet thought to herself while running. First school, now this.

Violet was not thinking about finding Balin at the moment. She knew that Bunny’s Pokèmon being lost would make her a nervous wreck. The woman hated to see her friend like that. She wondered how she actually had the patience to deal with her anxiety attacks.

Her wheezing breaths and her loud steps made some people stare at her. She did not notice them, however. Everything just seemed to be a blur while she was running.

I do hope she will be okay.

When Balin’s head poked inside the tent, he saw a small lady in a brown dress and apron stirring some soup slowly inside a large pot . A whiff of the soup came inside the Ninetales’ nose, which smelled very good to him. He then turned his head to the left and saw a long wooden table with bowls lined up. Slowly, the Pokèmon came inside and licked one of the bowls. Feeling good inside, Balin began to lick quicker each time.

Outside, Sky the Driftblim was still searching for his friend. He actually kept inhaling and exhaling, quite tired already. The balloon Pokèmon was about to turn around to find Violet until he heard a scream.

“A Ninetales is eating the soups! Scram, you stray Pokèmon!”

The backside of the tent went wide open and then Balin came out with a bowl in his mouth. A few seconds later, the woman came out with a huge silver spoon on her right hand, chopping the air many times with it.

“I am so going to get you now!”

The woman almost hit Balin with her spoon, but he threw the bowl and later soup splashed on her face. The Pokèmon smiled when he heard sizzling noises.

“IT BURNS!” the woman shrieked while covering her face.

Sky rolled his eyes when Balin giggled and then the balloon Pokèmon called him.

“Drift! Blm! Blm blm!”

That caught the Ninetales’ attention and he smiled when he saw Sky. The Drifblim later came close to Balin and flapped one of its ribbons to him. Knowing what he wanted him to do, the white fox Pokèmon bit down on it and then Sky flew higher and faster.

It did not take long for the two to come to where the tournament was at. When they made it, both smiled and cheered when they saw Bunny just walking by.

“Nine, nine! Nine!” the Ninetales yelled.

Bunny first did not hear his cry, her mind shaded with nervousness. She thought something happened to him already. When she heard a familiar voice though, she smiled and felt her heart beating rapidly with joy.

“Sky, Balin!” she said while waving to the two.

Sky put Balin down and then Bunny ran towards him to hug him tightly. She did not notice the Pokèmon trying to get out of her embrace.

“Oh my gosh, you are all right! I will never let go, never!”

“Nine!” the Pokèmon yelled while gasping for air.

Bunny laughed nervously and then let her Ninetales go. The Pokèmon coughed and then took deep breaths.

“Thanks for finding Balin, Sky,” Bunny said when she turned around to look at her Pokèmon.

“Drift, drift!” the balloon said in gratitude and with a nod.

“Hehe. Okay, you can rest now.”

Bunny took out Sky’s Pokèball and opened it, which made the Pokèmon return in a red beam of light. She then looked at Balin with a frown on her face this time and he seemed to notice it. The Ninetales gave a small chuckle, hoping she would be well again. It did not work, though.

“Balin, this is the third time this year you ran away. Now, I only let you out of your Pokèball since you are used to being in the outdoors. Please, try not to run away again, all right? If you do though, then it’s back in the Pokèball with you.”

Balin yelped and his body shook violently at the thought at that. He later nodded hastily.

“Good,” Bunny said with a smile. “Hope you will behave from now on.”

All of a sudden, a voice screamed in pauses, the one that Bunny recognized.

“Oh, so I guess… Sky… found him first.”

Bunny turned around and saw Violet with hands on her knees. She heard her friend taking deep breaths.

“Are you okay?” asked Bunny.

“Can we get some water first and then back to the tournament?” Violet asked as she slowly got herself back up.

Before Violet’s friend answered that question, she checked her watch. Two minutes until one o’ clock in the afternoon. Her eyes went wide.

“Later! Right now I have a battle to do.”

As soon as Violet grunted and was able to stand fully, Bunny immediately grabbed her arm and the two ladies later ran, Balin coming a little behind.

Well, hope you guys like the chapter. Sorry that not much isn't happening yet. This chapter is more so of expanding some of the character's personalities a little bit. And also, I tried my best to dealt with the tenses but it could be a chance there might be a lot still hanging around a few places. >.> Probably after a few chapters I will be able to catch them better! XD

Well, hope you guys have a nice weekend! Also, here is a little preview of chapter two:

Coming Up--- Chapter Two: The Things They Carried

Bunny's battle is getting underway and then later after the fair the police will be very busy. When night came, the same man will leave a few things for Jenny...

EDIT: I would like to thank DarkPersian479 at Serebii forums for pointing me the tense mistakes I had on this story. So yeah, this chapter has been edited a bit, grammar wise. ^^

Well, hope you guys read and review!

EDIT 10/20/2007- Again I edited the grammar mistakes (thanks Hanako! ) Not only that, I changed the beginning a little bit and I also put how it was four years ago in the paragraph of how the phone call Jenny had was from a voice similar to her. Again, heeded Hanako's idea. Thanks! ;)

Last edited:

duncan

Not bad chapter. Yeah, not much happened, but that's okay. The whole fair was actually pretty cool. I could really imagine it for some reason. And Jenny... I wonder what's going to happen with her.

Many people ate some food that consisted of Farfetch’d and Grumpig meat.

*frowns* Isn't eating Farfetch'd meat illegal? Isn't that why they're so rare?

Wanting perfection made her took too many all-nighters, which showed from her pink eyeballs.

That's the only problem I spotted.

Anyway, good chapter. See you later!

DarkPersian479

Bunny sighed, she knew what her friend had said was true.

Wanting perfection made her take too many all-nighters,

Balin made a woman sneeze when

Usually Sky did not like to find the Ninetales, knowing that the Pokèmon was always in some sort of mischief. Seconds later, the Drifblm just rolled his eyes. Knowing that meant Sky would probably not do it,

but you know him, always likes to check something out.

That last sentence made Driftblim changed his mind and then nodded slowly in agreement

she held her stomach and took deep breaths.

Each step she walked made her fear worse. She let her nervousness conquer her mind and do its bidding.

His curly hair was a bit messy, some twigs could be seen.

This will make her really worry now,

made some people stare at her

The vast majority of these are the tense issues that you're still trying to work out... still not sure why the beta isn't picking up on them, though. From what I've read of her work, Saphira's usually very good with grammar.

I did think that this bit of description needed to be beefed up:
A purple balloon with yellow tape on the middle hovered up and down slowly. His tiny eyes looked as if he was tired.
A bit more detail, like how the "yellow tape" forms an "X", or the little white fluffy stuff on its head, or the "tail thingies" sticking out from the bottom... yeah, I'm not too good with 4th gen Pokemon, but hopefully what I did give you will help.

You did say that the main purpose of this chapter was to bring out the character's personalities, and you do a nice job of doing that here. It's especially telling because the more I learn about Bunny's personality, the more she reminds me of my friend of the same name from high school :) And for some reason I like reading scenes where characters freak out XD

It looks like next chapter we'll be able to see how Bunny performs in battle, so I'll be looking forward to that!

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Decent chapter. I'm sure things will get better once you get the story going.

I was very amused by the interactions of Balin and Sky, also the scene where Sky attacked those annoying kids.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Sky = win. :D I love that Drifblim's personality. Especially great was what happened when those kids made the mistake of messing with him. XD

And fwee for Renaissance fairs. :D I've always wanted to go to one, so I liked that one was used as the setting for part of that chapter. ^^

Highlights:

The balloon Pokèmon was looking for the Ninetales but saw many people eating and a few clowns passing out flyers. All of a sudden, hands grabbed two of the Driftblim’s ribbons.

“Oh my gosh, a Driftblim to play with!” said a young girl’s voice. “Mine!”

Sky had a good look at the girl. Her braided brown hair matched the color of her eyes. She wore a small green flowing dress with huge sleeves.

“No sis, it’s mine!” said a young boy’s voice.

Sky also had a good look at the girl’s brother. The boy wore ragged clothes, both shirt and pants torn. His curly hair was a bit messy, some twigs could be seen.

The brother and sister kept pulling the poor balloon Pokèmon. Rage started to build up inside Sky and suddenly he made himself bigger. Too bad the kids were not scared yet.

“Cool!” the sister said while clapping. “Do that again, Drifblim!”

When Sky’s rage hit its boiling point, the Pokèmon inhaled more and then blew glittered wind at the siblings. They screamed and closed their eyes, not wanting any powder on them.

“I think we made it mad!” said the young girl in fright.

“Yeah, you are right. Come on, let’s go!”

As soon as the two children cried for mercy and bolted away, Sky chuckled softly and went on to search for Balin.

My favorite part of the entire chapter. That was awesome. XD At first, I thought Sky might have been so ticked off that he was actually going to use Explosion. o.o Good thing he didn't use that, for his owner's sake--using Explosion would have resulted in injured children and lawsuits from their parents or guardians. XD

The woman almost hit Balin with her spoon, but he threw the bowl and later soup splashed on her face. The Pokèmon smiled when he heard sizzling noises.

“IT BURNS!” the woman shrieked while covering her face.

That was another funny moment. It always makes me laugh when someone yells, "IT BURNS!" XD

Last edited:

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
duncan: Hehe, glad you like the chapter. Also, you imagined yourself in the fair? Cool! XD

*frowns* Isn't eating Farfetch'd meat illegal? Isn't that why they're so rare?

>.> Sorry, never thought of that! While writing that sentence, it just came into my head. XD

DarkPersian479:Thanks for pointing out the tense mistakes, so I fixed them. ^^ I will try my best to fix them next chapter. Also, you are right about putting a bit more description on Driftblm. I actually don't want to describe the Pokemon too much to slow down the story, if you know what I mean.

Glad you thought I did the personalities well. Man, now I want to meet that friends of yours! XD

The Great Butler: Yeah, not much is happening this chapter. I promise though that chapter two will be good. ;) Also, glad you found the Driftblm scene very amusing. I love that scene too! XD

Sike Saner: Hehe, I knew you would like that chapter! XD Again, that scene is VERY enjoyable to write. ;) Explosion? If it is, then the fair would be over and Bunny would be arrested! XD

Again, thanks you four for the reviews! And oh--- katiekitten, Griff, and Isfahan: sorry guys that I didn't PM you. The three of you did not let me know if you want to be on the PM list or not. ^^; Now is your chance though to let me, either by PM or in your reviews! =D

Okay, all I am going to say about chapter two is I have two possible dates for it, but am not sure if I will be able to post it as plan. Right now I caught the flu and also there a few other things that I need to take care of, university wise. Maybe expect it between late October or early November. ^^

All right, now I need to get back to studying! XD