• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nouns

kochoupink

butts lol
A noun is a powerful thing. It could turn out to be a tiny principle, but if you believe in it, it could grow and evolve to become the very basis of most, if not all, of your thought processes.
This can be beneficial or dangerous, because if two people believe in opposite things it has the potential to cause arguments, and if they believe strongly enough, it can start wars.
On the other hand people can be united by common nouns, and stand together as friends even if they don't really know one another.

My question is this however, and I hope people really think about it:

How many threads can we make that feature a single noun in the thread title, and how much rational discussion do they provoke?

lugia p

zekrom trainer
umm this is the same as the belief topic. Only with nouns

Grey Wind

Few, I think. There's not much discussion that can be caused by a single noun. Although you didn't specify whether or not there would be a long/short OP, or even an OP at all, to go with said noun.

umm this is the same as the belief topic. Only with nouns
What.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
"It shook up kochoupink to realize that even she could bring evil into the world - in the form of bad ideas. And, after Psykicko was carted off to a lunatic asylum in a canvas camisole, kochoupink became a fanatic on the importance of ideas as causes and cures for diseases.
But nobody would listen to her. She was a dirty old woman in the wilderness, crying out among the trees and underbrush, 'Ideas or the lack of them can cause disease!'"

thejt

Everyday Im Shufflin
How many debate threads are started with 1 noun titles?
it depends on the noun. Like if someone posted a thread with "Pizza" as the title, I might check that out. If someone posted a thread with "Lids" as the title, I wouldn't check it. Who the h cares about lids?

Alleviate

Banned
John Flansburgh said:
Yeah. I guess in the sense that improv uses devices as springboards, it is in that vein. We have joked in the past that we are running out of nouns. There is this thing about what we do that sometimes I feel like is just entirely too married to the physical world. It’s almost like we’ve made the entire physical world a fetish. I don’t think that’s necessarily a strength, I think it’s a place where we started, and hopefully we’re evolving out of it. I’m ready to move on to verbs, or adverbs.
Yeah .

Gad

is low on Patrats
How many debate threads are started with 1 noun titles?
it depends on the noun. Like if someone posted a thread with "Pizza" as the title, I might check that out. If someone posted a thread with "Lids" as the title, I wouldn't check it. Who the h cares about lids?

I care about lids );
On a serious note, I agree with JT. It really depends on the title. "Terrorism" simply makes for a more interesting discussion than "Cabinets".

My question is this however, and I hope people really think about it:

How many threads can we make that feature a single noun in the thread title, and how much rational discussion do they provoke?

Probably a lot. The problem arises due to the fact that "pizza" is not a controversial topic about something life-changing. People don't always agree about toppings, but we don't base our lives on pizza toppings. So not all of them are about something rational.

Also...you've neglected the power of verbs.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
How many threads use nouns?
jk

kochoupink

butts lol
4 threads, and they provoke 82% rationale discussion.

Discussion on whose rationale, precisely?

This one discusses the rationale of the noun-titled thread maker.
Or did you mean to use the adjective?

Skydra

The OP is everything.