• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nov 24th: SM3+4 - Good Rotomorning, I am the Rotomdex, Roto! & Enter Rowlet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I think the whole "graduation" concept is just a red herring at this point. It was mainly used to attract kids who are used to slice-of-life shows. I think what is actually going to happen is Ash will be attempting all the trials in order to get a z-crystal, but along the way gets another goal (fingers crossed it has to do with Aether Foundation and whatnot), and Ash will be doing some other stuff alongside trying to master z-moves. The school will be used for fillers most likely, which I am perfectly fine with. I would much prefer new interactions and insight on recurring characters rather than random CotD introduced only to never be seen again.

Now that Ash has already decided to participate in the Rite of Island Challenge, about 75% of me is inclined to agree with you. The graduation concept was probably part of the marketing effort to attract viewers and steal back some of the audience Pokémon lost to Yo-kai Watch. However, the remaining 25% of me is still hoping the graduation concept is not a red herring and Ash actually does have to graduate in order to qualify for the Rite of Island Challenge. This school concept is so different and seems interesting enough that I'm actually interested in seeing where the writers take it.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Team Rocket looked really funny in the new preview, especially when they were being carried away by Bewear hee hee. Mimikyu really seems to have it out for Pikachu however and as much as I like Rotom itself, I still don't like the Rotom Dex concept much cuz we have enough comic relief characters already.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
If the school arc doesn't continue for long, then Mallow, Lana, Kiawe and Sophocles can't be shown off as main characters. So I think that the school arc will last for sometime(which I personally don't want).

Let's be real, the school arc will probably last 26 eps/half a year at minimum.....

Entweeb

Let's be real, the school arc will probably last 26 eps/half a year at minimum.....

Or maybe the entire SM series.

The school is basically the familiar setting where the characters can meet and talk.

In anime, this is used as the central hub. Unlike the other seasons, there is no central hub, so every episode is a new area and we don't get attached to any landmarks or backgrounds.
By having a central hub, we can at least see how small the region is and how he'll have to travel away from the central hub to get anywhere. Ash can do the trials while still attending school. Maybe he'll take some classes and socialize for a bit before he heads off to the next challenge. Maybe he can take a break and head to another island for a challenge for a couple of episodes. We have already seen that Ash is staying put for the first time. He's staying at Professor Kukui's house and it will most likely be his home base for the mean time.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Or maybe the entire SM series.

The school is basically the familiar setting where the characters can meet and talk.

In anime, this is used as the central hub. Unlike the other seasons, there is no central hub, so every episode is a new area and we don't get attached to any landmarks or backgrounds.
By having a central hub, we can at least see how small the region is and how he'll have to travel away from the central hub to get anywhere. Ash can do the trials while still attending school. Maybe he'll take some classes and socialize for a bit before he heads off to the next challenge. Maybe he can take a break and head to another island for a challenge for a couple of episodes. We have already seen that Ash is staying put for the first time. He's staying at Professor Kukui's house and it will most likely be his home base for the mean time.

I also think that the school arc will last very long. I don't want the Pokemon Anime to be turned into a school anime, but sadly that is very likely to happen. Mallow, Lana, Kiawe and Sophocles can be presented as Main characters only if the School arc continues.

SlimeStack

Looking at how the games play out I see no reason why the school setting should be indefinite.

You go to school first and then you have to clear a trial lead by Ilima, a graduate of the school, and then you move on to Melemele's Kahuna Hala. Ash is seemingly heading in the same sort of direction as the player, meaning Ash will have finished school by the time it comes to clearing Melemele's two trials. The only real difference is that some other characters are going through school with him, and then they'll graduate to become the future trial captains just like Ilima.

The only mystery here is what they'll do once Ash is done with Melemele island. I haven't visited the other islands yet in the game but there might be something on the other islands to make arcs out of. If not there's nothing wrong with Ash simply travelling with some companions as usual.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I also think that the school arc will last very long. I don't want the Pokemon Anime to be turned into a school anime, but sadly that is very likely to happen. Mallow, Lana, Kiawe and Sophocles can be presented as Main characters only if the School arc continues.

The fact that there is a school in the games implies that this is just an arc. The anime would never permit the island trials not being promoted, seeing that is the main story.

The Mimikyu is a wild Pokemon and doesn't have any of the massive battle experience Pikachu has. This is the same Pikachu who has defeated legendaries and pseudo legendaries. While I am ok with Pikachu losing to strong trainer's Pokemon, I feel that it shouldn't lose to Pokemon that it shouldn't- Trip's beginner Snivy, Cress's Panpour and a wild Mimikyu.

So let me get this straight, you this Ash should never lose any battles, never struggle against anything, and never have to work for any battle for his life because he has so much experience. I refer you to the following statement. Seriously, fanfiction self-inserts aren't as massive Marty Stus as you want Ash to be.

Experience is not a free pass to win every battle as everyone and everything has a different style. Style varies by person, region, or even individual pokemon.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
The fact that there is a school in the games implies that this is just an arc. The anime would never permit the island trials not being promoted, seeing that is the main story.

So let me get this straight, you this Ash should never lose any battles, never struggle against anything, and never have to work for any battle for his life because he has so much experience. I refer you to the following statement. Seriously, fanfiction self-inserts aren't as massive Marty Stus as you want Ash to be.

I said that I'm okay with Pikachu losing to strong trainer's Pokemon, but I don't want it I lose against random weak opponents it shouldn't lose to- Trip's beginner Snivy, Cress's Panpour and a wild Mimikyu.

U.N. Owen

I said that I'm okay with Pikachu losing to strong trainer's Pokemon, but I don't want it I lose against random weak opponents it shouldn't lose to- Trip's beginner Snivy, Cress's Panpour and a wild Mimikyu.

Give me one indicator that Mimikyu is weak. No, give me five. Give me five personality traits you can name as well.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Give me one indicator that Mimikyu is weak. No, give me five. Give me five personality traits you can name as well.

The Mimikyu is just a wild Pokemon without a trainer.

U.N. Owen

The Mimikyu is just a wild Pokemon without a trainer.

Let's see strong wild pokemon

All legendaries, the Litwick and Lampent who drag people into their Spirit World, Spiritomb who needed an aura guardian to seal him up, Gible pre-capture etc.

DatsRight

Wild Pokemon come at all levels in the games, sometimes up to 50 or 60. I'd definitely say from experience that some wild Pokemon can be extremely difficult to deal with.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Wild Pokémon battling experience varies. Since Mimikyu hates Pikachu, it'll be more harsh on him rather than becoming a living punching bag for him to knock over. Curbstomping is just as worse no matter how much experience a Pokémon with a Trainer has.

DatsRight

Curbstomping gets really monotonous in the anime anyway, the heroes rarely improve or show their potential just by defeating some jobbers with one or two basic attacks.

satopi

I hope Ash catches Rowlet in the 4th episode. I know he catches a Pokémon in the forest. Maybe Ash goes into the forest to find Rowlet since it took his watermelon.

MegaSalamence05

Since we do know a few things about this epiosde
1- Team Rocket will appear
2- Mallow, Lillie, Kiawe, Lana and Sophocles are present
3 - Rowlet and Pikachu vs. Mimikyu with Ash and Mallow watching
4 - the Rotom dex is fully acquired by Ash - Rotom goes into the dex

I'm wondering if the entire group goes into the forest for a Pokemon Catching exhibition. What I mean by that is how many Pokemon can be caught by the 6 students. That's a route I could see and why Ash is seen catching a Grubbin in the opening. I'm just wondering if Grubbin is in this episode

ShadowForce720

Since we do know a few things about this epiosde
1- Team Rocket will appear
2- Mallow, Lillie, Kiawe, Lana and Sophocles are present
3 - Rowlet and Pikachu vs. Mimikyu with Ash and Mallow watching
4 - the Rotom dex is fully acquired by Ash - Rotom goes into the dex

I'm wondering if the entire group goes into the forest for a Pokemon Catching exhibition. What I mean by that is how many Pokemon can be caught by the 6 students. That's a route I could see and why Ash is seen catching a Grubbin in the opening. I'm just wondering if Grubbin is in this episode

Possibly, it is possible that Ash winds up catching Grubbin in episode 3 and then either later in the same episode or in episode 4 he catches Rowlet, or he catches only Rowlet during the 1 hour special, and he captures Grubbin in a later episode.

I think at most here during this one hour special he'll catch both Grubbin and Rowlet and he will get Litten and Rockruff in a later episode, although it is possible that he could get Grubbin in a later episode as well.

satopi

Grubbin might actually be caught in this episode. It was caught in the opening with the classmates watching and it's confirmed he caught something in the forest. If Rowlet isn't confirmed to be caught in this episode then Ash failed to catch it this time. It would be hilarious if the episode ends with Ash trying to convince Rowlet to get in the ball but it ends up flying with Ash's watermelon! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.