• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

November 11th: PM2019 132 - The Finals IV: Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I thought stuff like being unsatisfied but the teams development or the fact he’s not using reserves has already been discussed to death as things that yes do kinda suck leading into the M8 arc but some people want to enjoy the arc in spite of that, like we’ve accepted these issues a long time ago we just didn’t let it ruin the entire arc for us before it even started

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
You can whine about his team all you want. I certainly won’t stop you. But saying he’s been given advantages is absurd. If Leon had a Mega Ring and a Z-Ring, he would use them. Every Champion is going all out, and this rule just existed to handicap Ash in the first place.

FWIW, I think they should have given Leon a Pokémon that can Mega Evolve instead of Mr. Rime, something like Scizor or Manectric, but unfortunately they didn’t. I can understand that he’s less of an international traveler than Cynthia though, which is why he only has Galar’s home powerup. It doesn’t change the match at heart, and of course the Alolan Champion has Z-Moves as his secret weapon.
to be fair they could've had him do like 3 gmaxes or something like that (or give him a Z move and a mega as well) to not make it seem like the rule change only favors Ash
To summarize these last few posts: people are okay with literally anything Journeys does as long as Ash achieves victory in the end. Poorly developed team? Nerfing Champions and their Pokemon? Ash being given several advantages in order to win? It's totally fine, apparently, because it goes in Ash's favor.

Suit yourselves, but I'm personally not going to swallow whatever bullsh*t the writers serve on the platter. You're free to do so however.
tbh at this point all I care about is making Ash leave regardless of outcome, I'm trying to treat the battle in a vacuum

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
to be fair they could've had him do like 3 gmaxes or something like that (or give him a Z move and a mega as well) to not make it seem like the rule change only favors Ash
Since the preview shows the galar particles recharge Leon's Dynamax band, it proves you can only dynamax once per battle with a dynamax band unless ofc Eternatus arrives

SevereRacccon6

Sinnoh and Kalos Enjoyer
Realistic*

There's no way Ash winning will be satisfying in any capacity possible, especially with how Part 3 of the Finals ended. It literally screams some kind of cheap DEM comeback. Ash losing also doesn't do anything for his progression and the narrative as a whole, and just ensures a status quo to keep going. Lapping up and cheering either outcome while trying to 'gotcha' the ones who wanted the other doesn't do one any favors.

Ignorant consumers are just as bad as ignorant haters.
>Is able to enjoy something without losing their **** over the smallest details and can have a good time and not **** themselves online
this literally screams stop having fun lmao

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'd personally hate it if he won using a team like that because that team is solely entirely fanboy-pandering based.
I'm pretty sure his Journeys team is full of that, and meme duck.
Ash using all the gimmicks here is literally not an issue because you can in the games.
Mega Evolutions are fair game, but Z-Crystals can only ever be used in Alola (which the anime laughed at by making Z-Rings work like batteries as an excuse to force Koko into a big battle at a stadium against Pikachu). I'd say Ash has it easy just because he has a Z-Move that can guarantee a win (OLM salivates to such cheap wins) while everyone else doesn't.

(The only place where it's actually possible to use all three is in Pokemon Masters, but that's because of Sync Stones, which I don't doubt will include Teralize soon.)

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Much of this genuinely could have been alleviated if JN had more than 2 Oak Lab episodes. Better bridging of the idea that these 5 newcomers are above and beyond the reserves that came before, and properly convey a passing of the torches.

Lucario actually got this with the Greninja episode, and it's why people have gotten acclimated to calling him Ash's #2 in the team. But the other 4 really could have had more singular, funneled focus with Ash's prior mons to go alongside the other trainers.

tl;dr, less Slowking rap episodes, more episodes of Dragonite with the birds, Vish with the water mons, and Duck with the fighters.

I’m fine with Pikachu replacing Thunderbolt, no matter how iconic it is, with Pika Papow.

Sukuna

To summarize these last few posts: people are okay with literally anything Journeys does as long as Ash achieves victory in the end. Poorly developed team? Nerfing Champions and their Pokemon? Ash being given several advantages in order to win? It's totally fine, apparently, because it goes in Ash's favor.

Suit yourselves, but I'm personally not going to swallow whatever bullsh*t the writers serve on the platter. You're free to do so however.
mixrej.jpg

ShadowForce720

I’m fine with Pikachu replacing Thunderbolt, no matter how iconic it is, with Pika Papow.
Not saying that it’s impossible for Ash’s Pikachu Thunderbolt to be replaced by another move, but at the same time would the really replaced it when it’s specifically linked to Pikachu’s signature Z-move.

Because you have to keep in mind if Ash’s Pikachu drops Thunderbolt for another move that means it won’t be able to use its signature Z-move unless it relearns Thunderbolt.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.

This is why fanfics where Ash is destroying everything in his path are so popular, no matter how unrealistic and BS the plots may be. Heck, literally even stories with all the above AND spelling/grammar of a grade schooler will at least get a following.

Not saying that it’s impossible for Ash’s Pikachu Thunderbolt to be replaced by another move, but at the same time would the really replaced it when it’s specifically linked to Pikachu’s signature Z-move.

Because you have to keep in mind if Ash’s Pikachu drops Thunderbolt for another move that means it won’t be able to use its signature Z-move unless it relearns Thunderbolt.
Oh I totally forgot about that. So it’s probably replacing electroweb (which I don’t like happening) or the move we saw from the preview is just an improvised move by Ash, or the writers and gamefreak will retcon Pikachu’s z-move to also work with Pika papow in the future.

I really hope it’s the third one.

I do think with all the counter shield pandering, we might be about to get some volt tackle pandering
That’s not impossible. In the Finals 3, we saw pikachu charging thunderbolt but didn’t fire it and started running with electricity surrounding its body similar to volt tackle to dodge the Max Rockfall.

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214
Well it has been 25 years since I had the opportunity to see ash going through so many adventures this will be the episode between ash and leon to see who will win I don't know who will win it's ash or leon but this is a tipping point in ash's pokemon career so for all the adventures of ash you had uptill now I got to see all adventures you had so i would like to say one thing but before I say this I know that whatever will be the result of this battle I will accept that so i dont know what will come after this so

https://www.funimada.com/thank-you/amp/

ShadowForce720

That’s not impossible. In the Finals 3, we saw pikachu charging thunderbolt but didn’t fire it and started running with electricity surrounding its body similar to volt tackle to dodge the Max Rockfall.
Well if it does regain Volt Tackle then it would mean that it could then means that it could use the signature Z-move of the Pikachu species being Catastropika if Ash gets the signature Z-Crystal of the Pikachu species.

Hu Tao

Serebii Lurker for at least half a decade
Let's not forget - Ash's Charizard 1v3'd Gary in the Johto League. Pikachu still has a chance.

(let's ignore the fact that Ash's Charizard doing that was also BS omegalul)
haha yep, that battle was only a bit longer than an episode and everything was getting 2 shot to get to Charizard vs. Blastoise.

Trust me I am still disappointed by JN and I feel that it had absolutely insane potential when it first was announced, and seen a lot of the potential gone to waste. Does Ash vs. Leon magically fix these issues and the overall questionable quality of the rest of the M8? Of course not. But we still get a great final battle!

-good animation, strategies, and pacing on par or even surpassing Ash vs. Paul and Ash vs. Kukui (Mr. Rime battles weren't great though)
-"Jobbing" and Lycanroc effect (Ace in previous battle "jobbing") was better handled because Lucario did get a K.O. and Sirfetch'd removed Psychic Terrain and weakened Rillaboom significantly. Huge step up from Cynthia battle where you can argue the "jobbers" did nothing
-A greater focus on Pikachu next week. If Ash isn't bringing reserves, having Pikachu do major work by potentially defeating 2 mons is the next best thing
-Next week we are getting XY&Z level animation like Ash vs. Sawyer and Ash vs. Alain, so an amazing bonus to compliment all the writing and other elements being improved drastically from previous M8 battles

I understand that this battle could have been even better if it did stuff like portray Ash beating champions in a more realistic manner, not paint Leon as some sort of Alain/Tobias type trainer, build up connection with Ash and Leon more, heck add reserves, so on and so forth. For a lot of people, these flaws are very problematic but it's hard to ignore the amazing elements of the battle we did get. It's obvious the writers and animators were saving their budget for this battle and so far, taken the best elements from previous Full Battles. You are obviously free to dislike the battle if you so choose, but please don't ruin other people's enjoyment of the battle.
also volt tackle like movement was used when Ash used 10MV against Tapu Koko, just before releasing the rainbow bolt thing Pikachu jumped in the air while being enveloped in electricity like a Volt Tackle.

Guy100

This entire forum just proves that nothing the writers do will ever appeal to a majority of the fanbase, except maybe the younger and new audience.

The anime never takes itself too seriously to write a convincing cohesive story since its mainly a fantasy so why not just go with what is made out to be. In all honesty, if the concept of journeys was introduced to be during my earlier experiences with the pokemon anime I would be thrilled at how story's progressed just to see Ash catch popular gen pokemon and seeing a trainer want to actually catch'em all.

I'm just excited that the story has finally advanced enough to the point that its forced to try new things, such as make its protagonist into a rising elite, and offer new ideas to make the story less repetitive.

I'm just curious to know that Ash will do once the PWC is over. Like Gen 8, Gen 9's story just doesn't seem satisfying enough to write future battle stories for Ash, so I'm guessing they'll try something unexpected.

With that said, I'm really liking how they are marketing Leon's cinderace's hidden ability by showcasing its clever movesets.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
This entire forum just proves that nothing the writers do will ever appeal to a majority of the fanbase, except maybe the younger and new audience.
If they wanted to try to appeal to the part of the fanbase who are not the "younger and new audience", they could try to make content strictly targeted towards that part of the fanbase. It's obviously not going to be easy to appease the older fanbase if the content isn't even technically targeted towards them.

Celebitwo

Celebi Clone
I still have a gut feeling that with Scarlett and Violet launching a week after this episode, which is typically when a new series starts and with absolutely nothing announced as a foolow-up to Journeys, that this episode isn’t just the finale to Journeys but the finale to the entire Pokemon anime.

Prove me wrong JN132.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
And that's what the writers love to do. They like to write Ash into a corner as defeat is impending but he just manages to barely squeak out a win. The writers love to make Ash out to be an underdog to make him more rootable.
Welcome to anime
Also no way Thunderbolt is being replaced by Pika Papow, the latter is kind of a fifth move in the games

Status
Not open for further replies.