• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

November 20th: PM2019 046 - Battling & Getting! Mewtwo Comes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohanator

That would be outragous lol.
If it was the OG I agree cause we can't have Satoshi commanding something that's basically just...a guy that can talk and everything. It'd be like owning a human.

If they reset it to be more Pokemon like (and less overpowered) then I'm fine with it. I think legendaries in general are too special in the anime and I hope PM changes that.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
If it was the OG I agree cause we can't have Satoshi commanding something that's basically just...a guy that can talk and everything. It'd be like owning a human.

If they reset it to be more Pokemon like (and less overpowered) then I'm fine with it. I think legendaries in general are too special in the anime and I hope PM changes that.
Legendaries have been losing their special status and meaning for years now, they're now just regular mons that are just rare and powerful which is now basically being done with Mythicals starting in SM.

Rohanator

Legendaries have been losing their special status and meaning for years now, they're now just regular mons that are just rare and powerful which is now basically being done with Mythicals starting in SM.
Until main characters get them it won't truly feel that way for me. Melmetal was a good start for sure, but it was never presented as a legendary achievement in the show, it quite literally is just a rare Mon in anime canon. I wanna see a Mon that the show actually acknowledges as legendary get caught.

Ironically Mewtwo wouldn't really be a legend either since its a recent human creation. As long as they dont treat it as OP, lore wise it being caught actually makes sense.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

If Eternatus is weak enough to be captured by Leon, then there's no reason Ash couldn't defeat Eternatus, since he's aiming to defeat Leon who would be even stronger (since he would've caught Eternatus).
Well it's not like Leon would catch it on his own. It would be weakened from a combined effort from Ash, Go, and the wolves.

Thought I really don't expect anyone to catch it

game3524

Tbh I don't think PM is desperate ENOUGH. I want that Mewtwo catch lmaoo

And in this series a lot of the "fillers" are Gou capture eps so even if one doesn't enjoy his side of the story you can't really say they're not proggressing in any way.

I'd also argue PM has a clearer direction than SM since we actually know what the end point is and each of Satoshi's battles bring him closer to said point whereas in SM the league wasn't introduced until like a year + in and the Grand Trials weren't actual requirements for anything, Satoshi just did them cause he could (not trying to turn this into "See, it's SM that's bad actually, I think SM's the best series lol, I just think this "directionless" thing is just, well like you say, a buzzword. And I mean look I don't wanna talk down on anyone who truly feels that way but I haven't read a good argument for it yet).

Yeah, I don’t want to seem dismissive, but I just don’t get the directionless take as well. The different classes make it easy to track Ash’s progress and Go has the dex. PM’s objective is pretty straightforward.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
Until main characters get them it won't truly feel that way for me. Melmetal was a good start for sure, but it was never presented as a legendary achievement in the show, it quite literally is just a rare Mon in anime canon. I wanna see a Mon that the show actually acknowledges as legendary get caught.

Ironically Mewtwo wouldn't really be a legend either since its a recent human creation. As long as they dont treat it as OP, lore wise it being caught actually makes sense.

I would love to see legendaries being caught.

Not that there aren't many cool regular Pokemon still available, but it would be great to see the anime stop putting legendaries on a pedestal like some kind of taboo.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I would love to see legendaries being caught.

Not that there aren't many cool regular Pokemon still available, but it would be great to see the anime stop putting legendaries on a pedestal like some kind of taboo.
Well you could blame Shudo-Sensei when he made mewtwo and Lugia and rest of Legendary Pokemon sort big deal until ag had Joy-san own a legendary Pokemon....didn't help most battle frontier brains own few legends of own

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
Well you could blame Shudo-Sensei when he made mewtwo and Lugia and rest of Legendary Pokemon sort big deal until ag had Joy-san own a legendary Pokemon....didn't help most battle frontier brains own few legends of own

There are definitely upsides to the movies legendary grandeur, but I don't think the anime has ever portrayed them the same way. From lacking voices to lower power scales.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
If Satoshi was going to catch Mewtwo; I feel like it would be something to have a long build of development not to mention Mewtwo’s Birth and looking for somewhere to belong and being caught by a trainer this time does sound like something more different and fulfilling rather than traveling the world as a loner like the other two.

On the other hand, the title could easily be referring to both Satoshi and Gou. They they’re look for Mew and it’s Mewtwo instead or something. Or use Mewtwo as a way to help find Mew? I don’t think Satoshi will catch Mewtwo myself at all, Gou’s goal of wanting Mew always felt like a Pokémon GO and nostalgia thing than anything. One of the most iconic Pokémon kids wanted from Kanto as a kid? Mew, obviously. I never played Gen 1 games but that’s an iconic part of them.

My biggest thing is Mewtwo is more of a sentient plot point with a story and history baked into it with Dr. Fuji and all, will they touch on that? I definitely think the title is being clickbaity for sure. One episode doesn’t seem like the right amount to do a bonding session, lore and catch justice on its own. More importantly will Satoshi recognize it? They didn’t use their Rotom Smartphones in Thunder at all and when used on the wolves they didn’t find have any data which harkens back to Gen 1 Zukan not working on Ho-Oh iirc.

If they don’t reset lore then a connection to Team Rocket and Sakaki would feel like a wasted opportunity for some Rocket screen time of substance.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
If it's a third Mewtwo(I've long accepted that it is) then Ash getting it would be fine. It's a Psychic type and while I am sick of Kanto Pokemon, at least Mewtwo's not as bland as the Magmar/Machamp theories that went around early on.

All I'm hoping for is that we finally get to see Mewtwo X

Nah Nessa's popularity is carried by Yuri shipping with Sonia and other types of "Fanart" that shall not be mentioned but we all know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

You got Nessa confused with Bea lmao
People only like her for one reason

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Just asking... Did you play Crown of Tundra?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
If Satoshi was going to catch Mewtwo; I feel like it would be something to have a long build of development not to mention Mewtwo’s Birth and looking for somewhere to belong and being caught by a trainer this time does sound like something more different and fulfilling rather than traveling the world as a loner like the other two.

On the other hand, the title could easily be referring to both Satoshi and Gou. They they’re look for Mew and it’s Mewtwo instead or something. Or use Mewtwo as a way to help find Mew? I don’t think Satoshi will catch Mewtwo myself at all, Gou’s goal of wanting Mew always felt like a Pokémon GO and nostalgia thing than anything. One of the most iconic Pokémon kids wanted from Kanto as a kid? Mew, obviously. I never played Gen 1 games but that’s an iconic part of them.

My biggest thing is Mewtwo is more of a sentient plot point with a story and history baked into it with Dr. Fuji and all, will they touch on that? I definitely think the title is being clickbaity for sure. One episode doesn’t seem like the right amount to do a bonding session, lore and catch justice on its own. More importantly will Satoshi recognize it? They didn’t use their Rotom Smartphones in Thunder at all and when used on the wolves they didn’t find have any data which harkens back to Gen 1 Zukan not working on Ho-Oh iirc.

If they don’t reset lore then a connection to Team Rocket and Sakaki would feel like a wasted opportunity for some Rocket screen time of substance.

Given the placement of the episode, I assume that it is just setting up future plot points in relation to events from the darkest day arc. Either Leon gets Eternatus and this sets up Ash to catch/ work with Mewtwo later, or after Ash working with Leon this episode revisits Goh's own goal in some fashion. Maybe both.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
While I don’t care for Mewtwo past the original movie, I’m curious to see if this has any long term impact on the show. I personally don’t want to see legendary captures (I think it’s boring) by the cast so I hope this is more like motivation to learn more for them.

Rohanator

Mew being Gou's distant goal does fit with it being like a true myth for players back in the day like you said, but I'd argue that Mewtwo is just as iconic as a capture option due to being the most classic final boss that every Kanto game player HAS captured (or at least battled). If it's a more creature like being in this series I think the "Satoshi battles to stop an enraged artificial Pokemon and becomes its trainer to teach it to not hate humans" scenario basically writes itself.

But yeah I definitely don't expect that in THIS episode, either Mewtwo's a one off or this is its introduction and it runs away to reappear later or something. The only way getting it this early would work is if the actual befriending process takes a long time and it kinda just hangs in the shadows as a reluctant ally with Satoshi not using it for battles until near the end or something.

Just asking... Did you play Crown of Tundra?
I was gonna use it as an argument for why Satoshi getting OG Mewtwo technically isn't as crazy anymore but didn't wanna spoil people. But yeah I did and I felt pretty conflicted about The Thing lmao

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
Could it be that part of the episode is based on Ash and Go battling and catching some random stuff respectively, and it cuts in and out with parts of Giovanni/serious Team Rocket working on reviving Mewtwo? It could be the start of a recurring storyline.

Probably wishful thinking, but I just find it weird that a story with Mewtwo could be handled in one short episode.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Could it be that part of the episode is based on Ash and Go battling and catching some random stuff respectively, and it cuts in and out with parts of Giovanni/serious Team Rocket working on reviving Mewtwo? It could be the start of a recurring storyline.

Probably wishful thinking, but I just find it weird that a story with Mewtwo could be handled in one short episode.
This is the anime we’re talking about lmao. And it’s been a long while since we had an anime exclusive storyline which very rarely happens. Most notable being Operation Tempest and Team Flare in XYZ. Although those storylines were basically created due to the former taking parts of the unfortunately scrapped TR vs TP plot and recreating what they gathered into that and the latter basically remaking the entire TF plot due to how atrociously bad it was in the games.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well .....Do you ? I mean i haven't yet play it myself .

I did. Just got done catching Keldeo.

I was gonna use it as an argument for why Satoshi getting OG Mewtwo technically isn't as crazy anymore but didn't wanna spoil people. But yeah I did and I felt pretty conflicted about The Thing lmao

Well

Carylex agreed on becoming the PC's pokémon if he/she was sucessful on capturing it so I see no reason to be conflicted lol

Status
Not open for further replies.