• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

November 20th: PM2019 046 - Battling & Getting! Mewtwo Comes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizzaRade

Yuyama has specifically said all the 19 first movies are canon to the TV series, we don't need more of this debate.
This is the moment when I ask ... When did he say it and where? It is too innovative information and knowing its source can help the debate end in other languages (in Spanish many are convinced they are not canon) And it catch my personal curiosity e.e

However, I am very curious about what will happen in the episode.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Looking forward to seeing a great episode with Mewtwo making its debut in the anime outside of the movies, only for everyone on the forums to call it complete garbage because of Goh being in the episode & nitpicks like Ash (most likely) only using Pikachu & Lucario

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Looking forward to seeing a great episode with Mewtwo making its debut in the anime outside of the movies, only for everyone on the forums to call it complete garbage because of Goh being in the episode & nitpicks like Ash (most likely only using Pikachu & Lucario
Ash not using the United Kingdom duck is totally valid. While not a flying type (but still a bird), we haven't seen a bird get this screwed since Pidove evolved into Tranquill (who only showed up for that Archen episode before Skyla's gym iirc)

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Ash not using the United Kingdom duck is totally valid. While not a flying type (but still a bird), we haven't seen a bird get this screwed since Pidove evolved into Tranquill (who only showed up for that Archen episode before Skyla's gym iirc)
Oh please, the brown duck will prob get treated way better than that useless mistake lmao.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
This is the moment when I ask ... When did he say it and where? It is too innovative information and knowing its source can help the debate end in other languages (in Spanish many are convinced they are not canon) And it catch my personal curiosity e.e

It was during the marketing of movie 20. Yuyama mentioned that this movie was different from all the earlier ones in that while those were set in the same continuity as the TV show, the new movie featured an alternate continuity with all new Satoshi whose experiences diverged from the Satoshi we've known so far, and will continue to follow in the TV show.

Considering he said it in a very "As we all know, all the other movies are canon to the TV show, but this new one is unique in that it ISN'T" way, I'm pretty sure he has absolutely no idea there's a bunch of westerners out there that actually think some of the movies aren't canon. Why would anyone even think that?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It certainly doesn’t help that upon seeing multiple of the same legendary Pokémon, Ash seems to not remember ever seeing them before. For example, mewtwo from Genesect movie.
The woes of being eternally stuck as a 10-year old means your 10-year old life will be so incredibly eventful that you will somehow forget events. Even if...it shouldn't be that way.

Makes me wonder how eventful Leon's life was. Like, DAMN. He surely had like 100,000 Legendary encounters by age 12.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
A bad example, given he blatantly knew what Mewtwo was.

he recognized that it was a mewtwo but somehow there was 0 connection made or even a small reference to M1 mewtwo? I don’t think it was a bad example although it’s only one of many. Let’s not pretend the Pokémon anime, including movies, has always been notorious for its inconsistent continuity. It’s frustrating given that it can’t seriously be that difficult to include minor references to past things and would really help the world-building aspect of it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
IrieFuse said:
he recognized that it was a mewtwo but somehow there was 0 connection made or even a small reference to M1 mewtwo? I don’t think it was a bad example although it’s only one of many. Let’s not pretend the Pokémon anime, including movies, has always been notorious for its inconsistent continuity. It’s frustrating given that it can’t seriously be that difficult to include minor references to past things and would really help the world-building aspect of it.

I'm pretty sure that there was no direct connection made because of legal reasons. We already know that they weren't allowed to use the first movie's Mewtwo in the Genesect movie because of said legal reasons [Takeshi Shudo's estate apparently refused to give them permission to use the original Mewtwo], so they probably weren't allowed to make a reference to that Mewtwo either even just through dialogue.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I'm pretty sure that there was no direct connection made because of legal reasons. We already know that they weren't allowed to use the first movie's Mewtwo in the Genesect movie because of said legal reasons [Takeshi Shudo's estate apparently refused to give them permission to use the original Mewtwo], so they probably weren't allowed to make a reference to that Mewtwo either even just through dialogue.

I understand that. But most people probably don’t know that and at the end of the day the reason why is irrelevant because as it turns out, it just adds to the inconsistent continuity that I was referring to

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
But there's no "inconsistent continuity". Satoshi recognized Mewtwo, but Mewtwo cut him off and introduced herself before he could say anything. There's no point in suddenly starting to bring up the events of an old, unrelated movie a lot of the audience wouldn't have seen when nothing that happened in that movie had anything to do with the story the movie was telling.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
But there's no "inconsistent continuity". Satoshi recognized Mewtwo, but Mewtwo cut him off and introduced herself before he could say anything. There's no point in suddenly starting to bring up the events of an old, unrelated movie a lot of the audience wouldn't have seen when nothing that happened in that movie had anything to do with the story the movie was telling.

like I said, it’s one example of many. I’m not saying that one example is the epitome of the continuity (or lack thereof) of the anime. I really don’t think it matters if the people seeing Pokémon for the first time have seen old references or not, a minor nod to Ash’s past experiences literally doesn’t hurt in any way. Even things like that one episode with piplup and croagunk. You could argue that their appearances together ARE a nod to Dawn and Brock but I mean.. why not just have an episode with Dawn and Brock?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Im wondering why they decided to give them permission this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.