• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

November 20th: PM2019 046 - Battling & Getting! Mewtwo Comes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
LucasMV said:
Not recognizing Mewtwo in this episode would be far worse for continuity imo.

I don't really see why that's a concern for some viewers at this point when there's no logical reason to assume that he wouldn't recognize this Mewtwo. The fact that it's one that Satoshi's met before strongly implies that Satoshi will remember it, otherwise there'd be no point in bringing back this particular Mewtwo.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I’m actually not all that hyped for this because again.....one-episode? But that explains the Mewtwo merchandise and advertising front he beginning of the series. I’m in the middle on this, on one hand yay for some character continuity while mixing it with new canon by having a character from Satoshi’s past influence Gou’s main goal of getting Mew.

On the other side of the coin...I just don’t feel like the justice is there? Like Mewtwo is a super iconic character and all and I’m hoping it’s not just appearing for a one-off affair. What’s more than that I do kind of feel like it’s doing a bit disservice to the character for Aceburn and Lucario to even be touching it? Normally I wouldn’t be too bugged but it’s lore is directly about how much of a crazy monster it is.

Mewtwo could create literal storms and could only be touched by Mew and certainly has improved over time I’m assuming? Just feels a bit off? It’s not like with Silvudy where it was a failure. Dr. Fuji succeeded in creating one of the most dangerous Pokémon in the world who exists to be a weapon and nothing more so why are freshly evolved Pokémon holding a candle to it? Maybe the wolves’ influence their evolutions in a more extreme manner?

Also I gotta say, Mewtwo’s giant Shadow Ball looks really lame...what made that move a crazy signature move back in the day was how menacing it looked with crackling dark energy jumping off it and how fitting it felt for Mewtwo as a antagonist. Maybe that’s my preference for hand drawn animation over digital. Shadow Ball here is just...big and CGI? I hope they showcase that new Mewtwo signature move here at least.

PM choosing to use the OG Mewtwo is weird because they had been great about sticking close to the games but anime!Mewtwo is pretty much a human being and very sentient while having a lot of baggage and a past tied to it. So I guess they’re choosing ultimately the hype and shout-out appeal over that interpretation of the games. Man I really wish this could have been a collection of episodes or something.

I think I ultimately know at the end of the day this should be taken as a one-episodic affair where I turn my brain off for most of it that’s meant to hype up a bunch of popular Pokémon and meant to get your blood racing for thirty minutes but ultimately not a long-standing story or narrative. Would have definitely offered the Rocket Organization and Sakaki more relevance with the main base being in Kanto at least.

Last edited:

Guy100

Knowing that this is the OG mewtwo this obviously confirms ash wont be catching it. I'm just curious why is mewtwo being featured in such a random episode that seems to hold no weigh to the plot of the series is interesting.

It seems it would make more sense for Ash to battle Mewtwo after defeating Leon. Thus the world strongest trainer vs the world strongest pokemon.

Perhaps, mewtwo will appear again to test Ash's progress towards reaching his goal after he defeats Leon during his final match. I can picture mewtwo watching Ash's battle just out of curiosity towards seeing if Ash will succeed.

D

Deleted member 384931

Also it feels weird after an arc, directly another legendary pokemon. And let me guess:no Team Rocket?

D

Deleted member 384931

Which would be a shame because if they appeared and the writers didn't do something stupid, they would have a nice friendly meeting with Mewtwo, considering the events of Mewtwo Returns.
Instead we will get two Trio fillers in a row

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Hey, I'll take it. Team Rocket in two episodes in a row seems to be something rare nowadays. That's what's sad.

it seems when they appear in every episode people get sick of them quick but when they don’t, people start to miss them. I feel like there’s a healthy balance with the amount of episodes TR gets now. It feels like they learned how to finally handle them in SM and it feels kinda the same now

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
it seems when they appear in every episode people get sick of them quick but when they don’t, people start to miss them. I feel like there’s a healthy balance with the amount of episodes TR gets now. It feels like they learned how to finally handle them in SM and it feels kinda the same now
You won't find me in that first group. They haven't even been in half the episodes. SM did a better job with them in both appearances (which says a lot considering they weren't very prominent either) and character. But this is not the right thread to talk about that.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The question is, why? Why do that now? Why does he even care that much about Mew and Ash in those aspects? Things pretty much closed in Returns.

Probably because they'll get the most success/press (and thus the most money) if they use THAT specific Mewtwo. I guess that after Movie 16 performed more or less like the previous ones and the remake did somewhat well, they figured that people are more invested in Mewtwo, the character from the first movie than Mewtwo, the pokémon.

LucasMV

I don't really see why that's a concern for some viewers at this point when there's no logical reason to assume that he wouldn't recognize this Mewtwo. The fact that it's one that Satoshi's met before strongly implies that Satoshi will remember it, otherwise there'd be no point in bringing back this particular Mewtwo.

Yeah, I definitely agree. Was just saying that because someone pointed out that Ash remembering Mewtwo now would make it weird he didn't back at the Genesect movie. Which is true in-universe, but it probably has a real life explanation like I said.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Ugh, so Satoshi doesnt know him, if I am right?
No he knows him alright. Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution is only a remake of the original and Mewtwo Returns is the sequel where Ash still knows him from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.