• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

November 25th: PM2019 133 - Project Mew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingertail24

I seriously doubt goh is gonna actually catch mew. Especially since this show is allergic to characters accomplishing their goals. Even Ash isn't safe. The only one I guess is Brock.

If he catches mew, he definitely isn't continuing as a protagonist. Especially cause his goal is complete and it's weird for a character to just be waltzing around with mew in hand

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I do wonder whether another reason Project Mew was held after Ash vs Leon was that Ash vs Leon hype might have conflicted with SV, esp as Leon was the main gen 8 element they got over with in the last week of gen 8. Meanwhile project Mew moreso encompasses the franchise as a whole, so it could promote the whole franchise while not taking too much attention away to promote the games. May tie into that spirigatito appearance that's rumored as well (probably a Mew cameo)

Also I think Goh finishing his goal after Ash makes more sense considering they wanted to show both characters completing the goal at the same time, esp because Project Mew conclusion would directly lead into what's decided for Goh's future
I doubt that's why. Hard to really take away from the natural excitement that is a new generation of Pokémon especially with SV getting more marketing the closer we got to release.

Guy100

I seriously doubt goh is gonna actually catch mew. Especially since this show is allergic to characters accomplishing their goals. Even Ash isn't safe. The only one I guess is Brock.

If he catches mew, he definitely isn't continuing as a protagonist. Especially cause his goal is complete and it's weird for a character to just be waltzing around with mew in hand
But we have to remember that both Ash and Goh's goal (Beating Leon and Catching Mew) in Journey's is not their aspiration toward accomplishing their dreams, Pokemon Master and Catching All Pokemon respectively.

There just stepping stones towards achieving a greater ambition. However, I do agree, that its highly unlikely that Goh will catch a Mew, as the concept in my opinion is far too inconceivable based on Goh's current development, but then again, they gave the kid a Suicune, so anything is possible.

Perhaps if Goh does get a Mew, the once he catches is very young and inexperience, as I'm guessing Far Away island is a possible sacred breeding ground for Mew species.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
But we have to remember that both Ash and Goh's goal (Beating Leon and Catching Mew) in Journey's is not their aspiration toward accomplishing their dreams, Pokemon Master and Catching All Pokemon respectively.

There just stepping stones towards achieving a greater ambition. However, I do agree, that its highly unlikely that Goh will catch a Mew, as the concept in my opinion is far too inconceivable based on Goh's current development, but then again, they gave the kid a Suicune, so anything is possible.

Perhaps if Goh does get a Mew, the once he catches is very young and inexperience, as I'm guessing Far Away island is a possible sacred breeding ground for Mew species.

Those aren’t even the same thing lol.

Ash’s dream was pokemon master first, and then leon being a path to that.

Goh’s was to get mew first, as his starter even, then got an addition of catching all pokemon which he justified by saying it’s to work his way up to mew. Catching all pokemon was never the main goal (though probably the main idea when the writers made him). Then they pretty much dropped the catching stuff, and made much it less prominent as things went on and just focused it on project mew. His goals are just a mess of things that was never properly thought up.

Gingertail24

No it is. The end goal of goh entire catching thing was mew. That's why he began his journey. The writers themselves said they don't even know how to go about his catching thing. And it's pretty much abandoned after PM

And you mew pitch is kinda out there...

Ignition

But Ash beating Leon broke the internet
It happening now during SV hype in the internet definitely would have conflicted
For like a couple of days. SV was still coming up and was still highly anticipated for most of the fanbase. Smaller franchises have similar big events happen simultaneously without worrying about them taking focus away from each other

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
For like a couple of days. SV was still coming up and was still highly anticipated for most of the fanbase. Smaller franchises have similar big events happen simultaneously without worrying about them taking focus away from each other
The bottomline still is though that for a couple of days atleast a lot of Pokemon hype will go to Ash and the fact he won against Leon, a gen 8 character, at the same time gen 9 hype is around
I think it's more beneficial for Pokemon to space them out, have this hype and return of interest for many towards Pokemon stuff before the games come out, directly benefitting them, rather than having them happen concurrently
I don't think it's a coincidence Ash vs Leon ended just before the games came out

Guy100

No it is. The end goal of goh entire catching thing was mew. That's why he began his journey. The writers themselves said they don't even know how to go about his catching thing. And it's pretty much abandoned after PM

And you mew pitch is kinda out there...
Well guys, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

How I interpreted Goh's ambition (dream) was to catch every pokemon in order to research and connect with them while working on his goal to catch Mew along the way. He never said that Mew would be the last pokemon he would catch if ever he got close to catching all Pokemon. He simply said he would catch every Pokemon as he worked his way towards getting a Mew.

How I see it Mew is being treated now as a stepping stone towards his dream to catch every pokemon.

Last edited:

Ignition

The bottomline still is though that for a couple of days atleast a lot of Pokemon hype will go to Ash and the fact he won against Leon, a gen 8 character, at the same time gen 9 hype is around
I think it's more beneficial for Pokemon to space them out, have this hype and return of interest for many towards Pokemon stuff before the games come out, directly benefitting them, rather than having them happen concurrently
I don't think it's a coincidence Ash vs Leon ended just before the games came out
People weren't concerned about Leon's status as a Gen 8 character. Like ok people see Ash win and they're hyped while being excited for the new games. You're massively overestimating how much this would impact peoples hype towards SV. The hype for a game less than a month to release and will be the center of the franchise for the next 3 years (minimum) is not being hurt at all by Ash winning in a series that ignored a good portion of Galar content anyway. Most people will post on social media, like some art/viral posts, then move on.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
People weren't concerned about Leon's status as a Gen 8 character. Like ok people see Ash win and they're hyped while being excited for the new games. You're massively overestimating how much this would impact peoples hype towards SV. The hype for a game less than a month to release and will be the center of the franchise for the next 3 years (minimum) is not being hurt at all by Ash winning in a series that ignored a good portion of Galar content anyway. Most people will post on social media, like some art/viral posts, then move on.
It may or may not be impacted, sure, but it'll definitely be boosted if Ash vs Leon hype acts as a precursor to the new games
I think you're underestimating how big that news was for casuals and people who used to be semi interested in Pokemon and dropped off generations ago. The Pokemon community would definitely still be hyped asf for SV and obviously it'll trend and the game community will talk about it too (sadly in this case mostly to trash it's performance)
But so MANY casuals were perked up by reading about Ash. It made them wonder, "huh I wonder what Pokemon is upto"
In India most of Pokemon fans are genwunners and also mostly people who dropped playing the games after the DS era or were only interested in the anime. In my college alone, so many people have approached me to talk about it and have asked me for links to the newer episodes or details about the games. Heck some have even come to my room to play some Pokemon on my switch after I invited them and seemed to enjoy and consider playing the games (albeit they'll probably emulate it rather than buy a switch)

Thing is, World Champion Ash may have been a hype that lasted for a week at its peak, but the intensity and audience impression was huge, i can count the times on my hand I've seen Pokemon blow up in real time around me in India
Having this as precursor to your games releasing definitely boosts the hype of the newer games as it boosts interest in the franchise in general. It's better to space out hype cycles of a franchise anyway then have two run concurrently

pardusco

"The oppression of Poké Balls."
People really overestimate the impact this show has on normies lol

Ignition

It may or may not be impacted, sure, but it'll definitely be boosted if Ash vs Leon hype acts as a precursor to the new games
Yeah that's my point. Them hypothetically releasing the new games and Ash winning would not do anything but help the series.
I think you're underestimating how big that news was for casuals and people who used to be semi interested in Pokemon and dropped off generations ago. The Pokemon community would definitely still be hyped asf for SV and obviously it'll trend and the game community will talk about it too (sadly in this case mostly to trash it's performance)
But so MANY casuals were perked up by reading about Ash. It made them wonder, "huh I wonder what Pokemon is upto"
In India most of Pokemon fans are genwunners and also mostly people who dropped playing the games after the DS era or were only interested in the anime. In my college alone, so many people have approached me to talk about it and have asked me for links to the newer episodes or details about the games. Heck some have even come to my room to play some Pokemon on my switch after I invited them and seemed to enjoy and consider playing the games (albeit they'll probably emulate it rather than buy a switch)
I'm not underestimating it. I literally witnessed it happen in real time. Not once did I imply that his win had no impact. You mention casuals or people who lost interest but they literally wouldn't have cared when it happened since their interest in the brand is very passive. You mentioned previously that it would conflict with the release of SV but would that not be better if they're interested in the new Pokémon game that also releases on a Friday (potentially the same day)? Pokemon having its most iconic characters winning in the same time frame as the most revolutionary title in the franchise would not conflict with either.
Thing is, World Champion Ash may have been a hype that lasted for a week at its peak, but the intensity and audience impression was huge, i can count the times on my hand I've seen Pokemon blow up in real time around me in India
Having this as precursor to your games releasing definitely boosts the hype of the newer games as it boosts interest in the franchise in general. It's better to space out hype cycles of a franchise anyway then have two run concurrently
If the point is to have them interested in what's going on currently, it's counterintuitive to space them out. When you have someone's interest, why would you want to wait to get them interested in other products? More people would jump to the new games if it released around the same time than waiting for the hype to fizzle out.

I don’t give a **** about Project Mew because we want to know what happens to Ash

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?

Gingertail24

Well guys, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

How I interpreted Goh's ambition (dream) was to catch every pokemon in order to research and connect with them while working on his goal to catch Mew along the way. He never said that Mew would be the last pokemon he would catch if ever he got close to catching all Pokemon. He simply said he would catch every Pokemon as he worked his way towards getting a Mew.

How I see it Mew is being treated now as a stepping stone towards his dream to catch every pokemon.

Working his way towards mew is basically saying mew is is end goal.
Just like Ash beating Leon is him working his way towards being a Pokemon master
Like c'mon mew is literally the entire reason goal started his journey, he said that in the special pv as well

And like I said, there not just gonna have mew just strolling around with goh if he even stays

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
The special preview on Youtube says this in the description

Will Gou be able to meet Mew?
Let's all cheer for Gou's adventure as it finally reaches its climax!

Now, this could just be specifically referring to the Project Mew storyline, but I think it's highly likely Goh isn't continuing after Journeys. I also believe episode 135 title is a reference to Goh being grateful than he met Ash because it's his goodbye episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.